M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry to start yet anothe oil thread, but the manual says either, and my temperature range (by my geographic area) falls into both ranges. The majority of my riding will be lowest temp 40 degrees - highest 95 - I live on the East coast. Which do you think I am better off using. I will be using Amsoil. Bike is ready for her 600 mile service. I have 20-50 in stock but see alot of you are usine 10-40. Before I started the oil change I thought I would consult with the higher powers. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
40 Posts
OK... so I live in Minnesota and it can be anywhere from 50-100 degrees when I ride this time of year. So which one does it say I should use.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
mmgraff said:
OK... so I live in Minnesota and it can be anywhere from 50-100 degrees when I ride this time of year. So which one does it say I should use.
It says you can run 20w-50....................The manual shows

20w-50 : 14F on up

15w-40 and 15w-50 : around 7F on up

10W-40 and 10W-50 : -4F on up

10W-30 : -4F to 86F

I am going to put 20W-50 in mine at next oil change, which will be real soon :D

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Spring and fall......10w40w.......temps 40 to 70

Summer months.......20w50w......temps above 70

You wouldn't hurt the bike with 20w50w with colder temps but it may put a small strain on your starter.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
bob109 said:
You wouldn't hurt the bike with 20w50w with colder temps but it may put a small strain on your starter.
And honestly IMO if you were to use synthetic , I can't see that being a problem either.

When the temps drop into the BFC (brrrr freeking cold ;)) range, that where a synthetic really shines IMO. I run sythetic in my diesel Jeep and never had to plug it in at all last winter which got down to about 0F , she just fired right up :bigthumbsup:

·
Read Only
302 Posts
Since it's been brought up again.....

I just did my own oil change on the bike. Get this, I have around 1300 miles on the bike, let the dealer do the 600 mile service and inquired about using Amsoil. I expected the dealer to tell me they didn't carry the oil, so I brought 4 quarts with me. I'm handy like that. They actually refused to put it in citing clutch-slippage as the reason. Humph! :mad: So, I didn't bother changing it out again, figuring that it was a waste to change a new filter and oil with only 700 miles on it.

Finally I said screw it and drained 'er out and used Amsoil 10-40. Glad I did too. The ride was noticeably smoother right out of the driveway. Clutch slippage......what a joke. Not only does the clutch NOT slip, but gear changes are smoother and just as positive. No issues whatsoever, as I expected there wouldn't be.

It's a little disconcerting to me that a professional motorcycle repair facility, whether it's the dealership or not, would pass along information like that. I've never EVER heard anywhere that putting in a superior synthetic oil would adversely effect anthing. I can certainly appreciate the dealerships positoin of not installing anything but OEM, but to say that I shouldn't do it myself was a bit off-putting.

If you have a motor, and it runs, synthetic oil can never hurt it. Everything I have runs full synthetic. Always will unless someone tells me differently.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Just like anything else , the 80-20 rule applies.....only about 20% REALLY know what they are doing, the rest are just going through the motions or something else. As long as the oil is a MOTORCYCLE oil it is fine to use. The difference being (in very simple terms) that motorcycle oils are also designed to lubricate the gearbox and clutch , which auto oils are NOT. Molys in most auto oils can cause clutch slippage in bikes.....

I learned the 80/20 rule early on as a child....I was an aircraft NUT (12 years old) and read everything about planes I could get my hands on. If you can beleive this , I went to an airshow and some of our nations finest (fighter pilots , no less) did not know some of the specs/information I asked about , especially when it had to do with foreign aircraft , they were pretty shocked I knew this stuff (remember, no internet in 1978).

Anyway......

·
Registered
906 Posts
If you are using AMSOIL Go with the 10W-40 Product Code MCF in ALL Temps. If you have some 20W-50 left from something before, by all means use it up. You will lose a little HP and Fuel Mileage over the 10W-40 but not worth wasting the oil.

Your bike will never get hot enough to effect the lubricating ability of the AMSOIL MCF.

Bob Schultz
AMSOIL Direct Jobber
[email protected]
1-877-356-6099

·
Registered
103 Posts
It's a little disconcerting to me that a professional motorcycle repair facility, whether it's the dealership or not, would pass along information like that. I've never EVER heard anywhere that putting in a superior synthetic oil would adversely effect anthing. I can certainly appreciate the dealerships positoin of not installing anything but OEM, but to say that I shouldn't do it myself was a bit off-putting.
Its been my experience the dealer is the worst source for advice. :mad:

·
Read Only
302 Posts
Agree metric. I suppose as much as I should be used to it by now, I still get upset with the lack of objectivity and the undying "brand loyalty". Why not consider handing out some sound advice when asked? I fully understand that a dealer will use proprietary product, but if asked about alternative oils/aftermarket equipment, it would be nice to get an unbiased response.

I've definitely found that if you ask 10 different folks the same question about anything related to motorcycle oils or aftermarket parts, you'll darn near get 10 different answers.

When folks ask me, I preface what I have to say to them with......."In my own experience".........followed by fact, not my own personal agenda. Call me crazy.

·
Registered
906 Posts
It is not always "Brand Loyalty"

In most instances, a Dealer MUST USE OEM products if the vehicle is under Warranty, this even goes for lowly Lawn Mowers.

When it comes to oil, a dealer almost has it shoved down their throat . They get a discount on their parts for a certain volume of oil purchased. Therefore, they need to push it and have to sell it.

If you want the dealer to do your service, You can get around that by taking your own oil and filter in, but no hard parts, and have them use what you brought in.

If anything is mentioned that they can't for whatever reason, or say that you have to use XYZ or it voids the Warranty, Tell them you want that statement in writing, on Company Letterhead, signed by the owner or General Manager. It will NEVER happen as it is against the Law.

Bob Schultz
AMSOIL Direct Jobber
[email protected]
1-877-356-6099

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yeah, I know how dealers get, mine ordered up a new air cleaner, and never called me back to let me know it was in. The thing that really chapped my rear was they said if i wanted the bike back in a couple of days I would have to change it out. I don't get it, they made the mistake, they over filled my oil, I get to change the darn filter! Never again will I go back there for anything! At least they were nice to me while I was in there.
So, Oil Doc, did you forget about me? :pop:
I'm still waiting on the quote for the oil request.....
Actually, I need it for the Ram, and my bike only, the other ones already had it changed.
So, does this mean I get a break now? :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just my opinion but I also have a WATER COOLED motorcyle. 10/40. If you drive a loose clearanced, air cooled motor (HD?) you may need 20/50. I have seen some good arguments for 0w-40 as thicker oil takes more HP.
Not trying to invade your site as I have a VTX and am on that board also. Been reading here since the inception and just like the knowledge shared. You guys should check VTXOA (Lamonts) and read a bit and realize your going through some of the the same issues the Honda guys did a few years ago, before the VTX got dethroned. (I'll take my lumps for that statement) It's tough to be on top everyone tries to shoot you down. The 109 has a lot of things stock that the VTX guys have been modifying for. Just more choices IMHO.
Ridem if you have em.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Yes, the biggest thing on the HD is because of the roller bearings... we have actually had a few people run the AMSOIL 10W-40 in the Harley's with no known problems..

The one thing they did notice was better fuel mileage..

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Oil Doc,

How often do you recomend an oil change (Miles/time) once you have changed your oil to Amsoil 10W40 synthetic on a 109? :dontknow: :doorag:

·
Registered
906 Posts
Chuck,

As long as you are using the AMSOIL Filter, either the SMF or the New EaOM, with AMSOIL, recommendation is 2 Times OEM Recommended Drain Interval. So if Suzuki calls for 3000, you are good for 6000. This is in unmodified engines under normal riding conditions.

If you are not using the AMSOIL Filter, you would need to change the filter at the normal drain interval and then top off your oil again. Waste of money to me.

The new AMSOIL EaOM filters are the finest you can buy Period. They have a Patented Media and are made Only for AMSOIL by Donaldson. The efficiency of these filters are unsurpassed as they are 15 Micron Absolute.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
The Amsoil oil filter part #s are EaO109 or EaO109C (chrome) :D

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Well I was close :redfaced:........just kinda dropped the Ms :p

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.