M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I race twice a week at new york international raceway park w/my 1600 mean streak with only bolt on mods & tire runs 13.30 - 13.40's. M109R Completely stock bike went from the dealer to the track off the trailer ran 12.78 1.83 60’ foot 107 mph 0 miles on bike have been putting miles on the bike ran a 12.46 1.79 60’ @108 w/ lowering straps 98 miles on bike. I just got my jsd 3m plug & play mod will try this on sat at the track I am 6’1 272 lbs “Fat Guy Racing” going to put my 152 lb. buddy on it soon. I don't know if this bike will 11's in stock form??? maybe with the right small guy on it.

·
Registered
702 Posts
nice numbers joet.

glad to hear guys our size can get into the 12s before mods. Keep us posted on your progress.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I got 12.264 @ 108+ with my 230# butt on it, put my 140 bud that races a ZX10 on it and my times were better. Turns out that experiance counts :D....you can't leave with the M109R like you do with a ZX10. Will report back next week on just what a JSD-2M and Cobra FI2000R will make it do, I plan on 11.90's..........lets hope the bike agrees with me.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
maybe i'm being too easy on breaking in my bike.

:yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you can leave the line as hard as you want to just put the lowering straps on it to keep it from standing up works  great on both of my bikes. air shifter, on board air compresser & shift light going on as soon as i get my lowering bones & windshield set it up same as the 1600 then we are ready for the hd guys at the track. as it is now the busa & kaw guys do not want anything to do with me on points day. they run low to mid 8's w/turbos i run 13 + i leave first they wait & wait & wait then BING they bulb or break out at the other end running me down. i tell them all the time in bracket racing the fastest does not always win.... he who runs closest to his dial wins

·
Registered
16 Posts
I did a 12.1 at 109.8mph and I weigh 210. I babied it out of the hole because I only had 150 miles on it at the time. I can say without a doubt, the 109should be a mid-high 11's bike stock. Anyone from/racing in the NOVA/DC area? Lets go to MIR or Old Dominion and run these things. Got some RS Warrior friends too!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Well the bike and I didn't agree on the increases the JSD and th FI2000 should produce, but then it may have been the rider too. But I did get about 1/2 tenth and picked up almost 2 mph, but the most noticable item was the one run where I followed in the tracks of a A/Fuel dragster for the traction...............OH BOY did I get traction, and was I surprised when we were looking at sky, after that I tamed the launches a bit and have a consistent 12.2 bike for now. Hope the Corbra Dragsters pick it up a bit as they should also help a bit with the weight problem...........OK this is a problem that both the bike and I have ;-). And maybe we will get some better air next week too, real high humidity (it is Houston). And we are still working with the FI2000 until the PowerCommander is availble, so there should be more in that department still too.

Chop

·
Registered
75 Posts
I was on the Thunder Mfg. site....they have a estimate calculator for weight and h.p. and speed.......If you and your bike weigh in at 1000 lbs...with 130 rwhp......you will run the 1/4 in 11.5 at 118.5 mph....neat little calculator, check it out... :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
844 Posts
Glad to see that you decided to post your quarter-mile results. It looks like you've had some fun with it -- based on the responses.

As I see it, YOU'RE the one with the real "laboratory" here -- since you have some stock numbers as a baseline. (I would say that there are bound to be some performance improvements as the engine gets broken in.)

I recently read an article that rather convincingly stated that air intake mods might actually HURT performance vs. stock, if the stock unit is well-designed (as this one MAY be). It would be terribly interesting to see the quarter-mile impact of making the various mods that people are investing in -- without any real documentation that they improve performance.

Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thanks for the encouragement, with the $ that are flowing outbound ::) I'll take all the positive comments I can get....LMAO. I have been guaranteed the Ultraflow air filter system before our next points race here in Texas, and I hope it helps not hurts. There have been posts in different places of dyno pulls with and without airbox, my only dyno run so far is 108.5 with everything stock and in place. Will head to the dyno again once the pipes are changed and I sure hope to see improvements at the track. I did the runs with everything stock so that I would have a baseline, now that I have the Cobra FI2000 and a JSD -2M installed I was hoping to see better numbers than I did Friday night, but there were several factors so I still think that there is some improvement to be had, the JSD DEFINATELY changed the off the line behavior of the bike.

Chop

·
Registered
844 Posts
Dyno numbers are interesting, but I think what most of us really want to know is how fast you can get from point A to point B -- i.e. the strip numbers you are generating. If you're interested, I read a great article demonstrating that you can actually increase your horsepower -- and have that same change INCREASE your 1/4-mile elapsed time.

I can try to find the link, or send you the print version, if it's something that would interest you.

·
Registered
71 Posts
If it can make me faster (without my having to give up my beer) then I am always interested...LMAO

Pipes go on this weekend and we hope to see a real improvement there.

Cheers,
Chop

·
Registered
844 Posts
The link to the Horsepower article is:

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Horsepower.html

In the column on the left of this paper you can also find a good one on "Making Horsepower" that should be of interest.

You might also enjoy reading the thread on "Air filter propaganda" in the Tech Section of this (the M109) website.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Calculators mean nothing, ya gotta get out there on the asphalt dyno and work on ya short times.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Well Friday night was dry but very humid, my 109 now has Cobra Dragsters (no baffles), a Cobra FI2000, and a JSD TRE installed. Each week has produced a tenth to a tenth and a half improvement. Unfortunatley the tracks scales were down last night so I couldn't verify how much weight was lost with the installation of the Cobra pipes, but unlike last week were the videos of my runs you had to watch my bike and not hear it, this week there is no doubt that the 109 is on the line, these pipes as we have them installed ARE LOUD, and it is a distinctive sound. And I got the opportunity to do 3 heads up passes against a HD Vrod, now between me and the bike we give up over 200# to the Vrod, the 109 seems to have the ability to get off the line better than the Vrod but he did come around me in the last 200 feet on one pass, which BTW we got a BEST of a 12.016 @109.88. It ran 12.1's pretty consistent all night long, it will be a bit more work and money to go as fat as I wanted too I now see, this is a heavy bike, but we are having a real good time doing it.

Anyone else got any times yet?

Cheers,
Chop

·
Registered
936 Posts
i sure hate to hear that, v-rod caught you. glad my brother did'nt see that i'd never hear the end of it.

·
Registered
844 Posts
So -- if I have been following this thread accurately -- the addition of the FI 2000, the TRE, AND the pipes reduced your times from about 12.2 to about 12.0, and gained about 2 mph in the quarter mile ?

If this is true, then the interpretation could be seen in two ways: these mods don't make that much difference -- probably not enough to notice if you're just riding on the street. OR: "this bike is pretty well engineered out of the box," weel enough so that a few simple "routine" mods don't enhance performance all that much over stock.

Of course: there is always the option of one of JR's Superchargers (see separate thread on that).

·
Registered
849 Posts
A third way to look at it is that 2 tenths is actually not a bad improvement   I remember working pretty hard to pick up a couple of tenths.  To paraphrase Sen. Everert Dirksen in discusing the size of the national budget, a couple of tenths here and a couple tenths there and before you know it, you're talking real improvements. 
My guess would be all the improvement came from the TRE and the fuel enrichment, and in fact, they may have had to also compensate for some HP loss secondary to the Dragster mod.  It makes a lot of noise, but I've seen little to suggest it makes HP .
I hope Chop might try a few runs with the stock pipes and the TRE/FI2000 in place to see.  THe SLashdowns on the other hand, particularly running no baffles, showed a fairly decent HP increase according to Hal's dyno run, and I suspect that's because the Speedster series Cobras have a crossover to help in that area.
Jer

1 - 20 of 97 Posts