M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I have a 2007 109, it has 44k and had absolutely no issues mechanically. Last fall on my last ride I noticed I had a slight fuel leak on the left side so I started pulling it apart but due to other projects I never got to it until lately. So I replaced a lot of parts like battery, plugs, oil filter ect.,ect. I go to start the bike and absolutely nothing. No starter click, no fuel pump prime, nothing. The lights come on, I have sufficient battery, it’s in neutral, kill switch on, everything is where it should be. This bike has been super dependable and I’ve never once had an issue until now. I could see if the bike didn’t crank or no fuel pump but not both. Could anyone please give me some ideas or has anyone ever had this issue? Thank you in advance for any help.

·
Registered
2009 / VZR1800
3,666 Posts
These kind of problems were previously caused by the brown connector
under the tank, when connecting it back together, the wires are slightly
pushed out of the plastic connector. It is sometimes barely visible so
pay attention to it closely. "Click" sound alone is not necessarily proof
of good connection.

pic. courtesy of Kazimodo

BTW, welcome to the board, cheers!... 🍻

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
The electrical connector under the tank that thevili posted is often a problem due to wires being pulled loose from the connector which keeps the fuel pump from operating.
However that connector has nothing to do with the starter motor circuit and would not inhibit the starter motor from working and turning the engine over.
So if the bike is not turning over at all, then your issue is likely going to be elsewhere.
Check over the ignition interlock circuit and also have a look at the tip over sensor.

BCS

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the input, I’ll have to check the connection. My next move was to put direct power to the pump. I am getting power up to the plug but wasn’t really able to check the pump side of the plug without poking a hole in the wires with my primitive multimeter

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I checked the fuel pump plug under the tank with no avail. I thought that might have been it due to the times I’ve taken the tank off. Something I wasn’t even thinking about was the Power Commander III installed on the bike. I can’t remember if it’s supposed to light up when the key is turned on or if the bike has to be running. Any suggestions are very welcome. This is driving me nuts as I’m quite attached to the bike.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks evili and sparky, thanks for the pics and wiring diagram too. Both helpful. I’m sure I’ll figure it out sooner or later. My riding season is getting close to the end and my lovely bride is begging for a ride on the Hog Eater

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Sounds too easy but I gotta ask anyway.
Are you doing all of the following?

Key on
Red kill switch on
Bike in Neutral
Clutch Lever Pulled
Press Start Button

More than once a newbie has forgotten to turn on the red kill switch, had the bike in gear with the stand down or forgot to pull the clutch lever and has spent hours trying to figure out why the bike would not start. :)
Also be sure you are turning the key to the on position and not turning it past the on position into the auxiliary position.

BCS

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’ve checked all of the above mentioned too many times to count. I’ve found my fuel pump is working, I’m getting power to it. I’m thinking that either the kill switch, kick stand switch or neutral switch is not getting a proper connection because it’s acting like a newbie is trying to start it. Thanks to everyone so far for all of the input. When I do figure it out, (because I always do) I’ll be sure to let y’all know.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And just so everyone knows, I’m not even close to being a newbie. I’ve owned this bike since 2008 when I bought it with 978 miles on the clock and I’ve been riding and working on bikes since 1979. But thanks for the help

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
If the side stand switch or engine stop (kill) switch are the issue then your fuel pump would not be working either.
The fuel pump relay coil is on the load side of those devices in the interlock circuit.
Here is another diagram that may help you wrap your head around how its all configured.

BCS

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Sparky. The kill switch is ok, the clutch switch is ok, but I didn’t get a chance to go over the other stuff. It’s time to swap the 9 for my Kenworth for the week. Thanks for the help though, it’s much appreciated.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Fuses are all good, it’s acting like the bike is in gear and you’re trying to start it without pulling in the clutch. Some I was wondering about was that the bike has a Power Commander III, I had noticed the green lights on the left side of the box aren’t illuminated but I can’t remember if they only come on when the bike is running. Additionally, the display is showing “check”

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Fuses are all good, it’s acting like the bike is in gear and you’re trying to start it without pulling in the clutch. Some I was wondering about was that the bike has a Power Commander III, I had noticed the green lights on the left side of the box aren’t illuminated but I can’t remember if they only come on when the bike is running. Additionally, the display is showing “check”
The power commander could possibly inhibit fuel reaching the injectors, but it cannot inhibit the bike from physically turning over via the starter motor.
In your original post you said the starter motor was not engaging to turn the engine over, so if that is the case you will be wanting to look at things that are relevant to the starter relay circuit and interlock system.

BCS

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes correct, it won’t crank and the fuel pump doesn’t prime and the display shows “check”, when I get home I’m going to try jumping the kill switch connections. Looking at the wiring diagram it seems like the most likely culprit

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,049 Posts
Yes correct, it won’t crank and the fuel pump doesn’t prime and the display shows “check”, when I get home I’m going to try jumping the kill switch connections. Looking at the wiring diagram it seems like the most likely culprit
Normally if it shows "Chec" and the FI light is not on, it means either your sidestand is down or your kill switch is on. Or off, whichever way it means it won't start. :)

Not saying either one of those is actually happening, but it could be in the circuit for those two items as BCS as indicated.

Mine did something similar when the clutch switch went bad. I had to play with the clutch lever a little and it would kick in and start. I'd hit the start button then slowly let the clutch out and it would hit a point where it would start. I cleaned the switch and later replaced it and all was fine. But with mine it would still prime the fuel pump and all that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Actually what I have found is that there is no power to the starter button and since the kill switch is wired directly to the starter button there is no power to either. I’ll have more time to investigate tomorrow. I may just loose interest and go trade it in on a new 9, who knows

·
Registered
2009 / VZR1800
3,666 Posts
Actually what I have found is that there is no power to the starter button and since the kill switch is wired directly to the starter button there is no power to either. I’ll have more time to investigate tomorrow. I may just loose interest and go trade it in on a new 9, who knows
I know it is frustrating sometimes, I suggest, if I may,
you keep looking for the fault, many times it is in front
of our eyes, but we dont see it because we assumed
this or that connection is fine but it isnt. I am sure you
will find the problem, and it will be an overlooked one.
Your Nine will be that much dear to you and you will
enjoy it for a long time comming. Your Nine deserves it.
JMHO, Cheers 🍻

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oh I’m sure I’ll find it, and thanks for the encouraging words. I don’t think I would ever part with the ol girl. I’ve had it for many years and 45k miles. Plus it’s the less common pearl white.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,049 Posts
In the first image that BCS provided, it looks like the kill switch is powered from the side stand/flasher relay. Then from there it goes to the starter button and from it to the starter solenoid. I would start on the side stand relay, probe the O/B wire to see if power is coming out of the relay. O/B should be orange with black tracer. The bike has to be in a start condition, side stand up and in neutral, etc.

Mine is an 07 that I bought new. A year or two after I bought it I changed to some LED signals and back then you either had to use load resistors or wire in a separate electronic flasher relay to keep the lights from flashing too fast. I wired in a separate flasher, and somewhere in the wiring I swapped the wrong wire and mine wouldn't start. I just remembered that when looking over BCS's wiring diagrams.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts