M109 Rider Forums banner

Home built ATRE assembly and install instructions

45K views 87 replies 47 participants last post by  samdman84 
#1 · (Edited)
OK here we go. If you feel up to it build it.If you mess your bike up I take no responsibilty what so ever.

Automatic Timing Retard Eliminator (ATRE) This will let your computer think it is in 4th gear all the time and will not effect idle.Your timing will be advanced and you will notice better throttle response in gears 1-3 4th no change and the 5th gear rev limiter will be the same as 4th.

Here is the layout for what I have built. I had to use several different resistors to make up a 2.7K OHM
If you are lucky enough to have access to a single 2.7K ohm resistor and a 47K ohm then please make the optional less complicated unit on this page.

Updated info as requested for novices 7/1/2008

Black is your Emitter

Blue is the Base it gets the 47K resistor

Red is the Collector it gets the 2.7K resistor

My parts lay out from Radio Shack. red blue and black wire . A pack of 47K,2.2k and 100 Ohm resistors. 1 MPS2222a transistor and a project board. Total was around $6 bucks

Go ahead and shape your leads to prepare for installation on the board.

Should look something like this on top

On bottom SORRY BLURRY

Should look a little like this after being soldered and bridgeing the resistors in a series. My 2.2K was showing 2.1K so I ended up having to use 6 100 ohm to make up the difference. It was spot on at 2.7 though. Always meter everything out and make sure you did not short your circuit anywhere. My 47K was off as well showing 45.6K but it worked out anyway.

Top view all ready to be insulated. You can install in a small project box if you would like.

I have some 3M water proof sealing tape that I put around the board before covering it with electrical tape.Forgot to take a pic of the sealing tape.Sorry guys.

On to the bike.Remove the push pin under the seat be careful you don't launch it into orbit like I did mine. :p

Remove 3 allen head bolts and the side covers plastic and chrome

Locate the GPS harness.There it is be careful dissconnecting it.(Notice the tad bit of green insulator pulling out from the top of the harness.)

Pull it through the bottom so you have some slack to work with.

Cut the red wire on the GPS side

Splice the red wire from the ATRE to the ECM side of the cut wire and just tap the blue to the blue wire and the black to the black wire.You can use scotch locks or solder. I soldered but show you both.

This is where you need to reconnect the connector and turn the key on make sure neutral light works and the bike will start and idle. If so proceed. If not check your work. Mine did not start at first but I found out the black wire on the ECM harness had pulled out of the plug. Easy fix. Proceed.
-------------------------------
If everything is working then go ahead and dissconnect the connector and tape up your work.

Feed everything back up inside the frame.

Reconnect the harness together and use a piece of double stick tape on the frame and wire ties to secure the ATRE to the frame.

Should look like this when you are done.Make sure it fits snug but not to tight.

Enjoy and be safe out there.

See less See more
#3 ·
Automatic Timing Retard Eliminator. The timing is retarded in 1st through 3rd gear and 5th gear is rev limited to reduce top speed.
This lets the ECM see 4th gear all the time and this will let the ECM fully advance the timing and let you run full out in 5th gear.
It really helps the bike out.Cuts out on the herky jerky bucking action at lower speeds as well.

A regular TRE Timing Retard Eliminator will make the bike rev higher in Nuetral. The ATRE does not effect Nuetral.

These are sold on the net for any where from 40-110 bucks with direct plug and play harnesses and without. You can build them real cheap.

Robert May

#5 ·
Most excellent Robert! Very detailed and I'm betting a lot of folks will do this. As soon as I get time I want to do one just to make sure my GiPro is actually working. Feels like it is, but it doesn't hurt to try something else. :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

#6 ·
Thanks for the info. Awesome post :bigthumbsup: I already have the 2.7 wired inline just before the ecu and now I can add the the 47 ohm resistor in the same fashion, a little different but I wanted this mod to be completely hidden, now I can complete the "Maniac Mod".

#7 ·
OK, now, how about plans for a gear indicator? ;)

#9 ·
Cool beans! :D

#10 ·
Robert May said:
Automatic Timing Retard Eliminator. The timing is retarded in 1st through 3rd gear and 5th gear is rev limited to reduce top speed.
This lets the ECM see 4th gear all the time and this will let the ECM fully advance the timing and let you run full out in 5th gear.
It really helps the bike out.Cuts out on the herky jerky bucking action at lower speeds as well.

A regular TRE Timing Retard Eliminator will make the bike rev higher in Nuetral. The ATRE does not effect Nuetral.

These are sold on the net for any where from 40-110 bucks with direct plug and play harnesses and without. You can build them real cheap.

Robert May
Nice work. I have one of the plug in version on my bike, and while it's night and day from stock, it always feels like it's just not quite perfect. It still feels like there's some lingering timing retard going on still. I know this because without the unit, the bike cleans right up at 4000 rpm's. With the unit it's pretty much bang on, but still feels slightly jerky, and when 4000 comes around, it still smooths out a bit. Is it possible the omhs from first to third, should be different from what 4th gear sends.
Keep in mind, I know jack about ohms and resisters, but I do know what I feel. Does this make sense.

#11 ·
Robert May said:
Geez LOL!!! No body is ever happy. Seriously I was just drawing up a ruff schematic diagram to see if I wanted to mess with it or not.

Keep an eye out. ;)
Lookee what I found...

http://www.bluegauges.com/gearindicatorplans.htm
The circuit has been double-checked and verified.

I may make revisions in the future (filtering, TRE, etc.)

This gear indicator should work on all Suzuki motorcycles with a gear position sensor. I believe most Suzuki models 1996 and up have one.
Now, if only there is a way to modify those instructions to use a numeric display rather than (5) LEDs... (hint-hint!) ;)

#17 ·
Because other people build them and sell them already. 8)

http://www.jsdproducts.com/

JSD-3M - Automatic - $44.95 will not cause a high idle.

JeffW's unit is plug and play.Takes all the guess work out and he stands behind his work.

Help a brother out and make a purchase from him or print the page out and go have somebody throw one together for you.

I'll tell you right now if you don't feel comfortable building then I don't think you would be confortable installing it.

Go to Jeff's website and buy it.

What every you do enjoy and be safe.

Robert

#18 ·
What I mean by bridging is that if you can't get a resistor of the value that you need you can series them together to add up to what you need. A bridge would be a splice to connect the 2 together but made of solder.

Now that would be a circuit but you do not want to short to seperate circuits together by accidently bridging the units together.

Hope that this explains it for you.If not let me know.

Later,
Robert

#27 · (Edited)
neutral light stays on

I soldered up my board today. Put on bike and it started and ran neutral light came on but when switched into gear the neutral light stayed on it did dull some.. The only thing i did see is the 2.7 lead I had 2.65. Could that be my problem.. Thanks alot for the info also, have gotten a few mods from this site its awesome.. I took out a 100 ohm and put in a 150 ohm and it brought it to 2.70.. Put it back on bike and same thing occurs.. Neutral light stays on but dulls when in gear.. I have a 08 dont know if that has somthin to so with it or not..

Thanks again

#29 ·
WOW!! That works great.

I know this is an old post but it works great. I finally had the time to make one and it REALLY makes a difference.
If someone needs one, I made 2. Size of a pencil. Get me an address and I'll send it to you. USA only please.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.