Pair Valve Block Off Plate Install...
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pair Valve Block Off Plate Install...

Default Pair Valve Block Off Plate Install...

The whole purpose of installing the block off plates is to get rid of the decel pop you get when you switch to aftermarket pipes. This is a how to based on having the bike already down to the top of the motor so you can see where everythings at....

These are a set of plate & gaskets that Rick (i8yr5_0) makes which work like a charm.

Heres the rear plate installed use the same bolts that came out with a little locktight on the plate install

If you look close you can see where carbon was blowing out from under the dlp plates too thin & no gasket.
    Now for the tricky part: The front

Heres a view of the front pair valve from the top and from the side
    For those that got this puppy off without taking the air box off

Repeat the same procedure for the front plate and pull all the plumbing out as you wont need it after the next step.
    Heres what you should have left over after pulling the plumbing:

I plugged the air box outlet with a rubber pvc cap that you can pick up at any parts house. Another way ive heard of is leave the short hose connected and stick a marble in it your call on that as long as its sealed.

And your done fire that beast up and RIDE!

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Pair Valve Block Off Plate Install...

Great thread! Thanks!

Hi Tinboski.

Great "how to", good pics.

Q: Why bother blocking the pairs. I did block/constrain the air to the pairs by just blocking the small tube piece, so no air could get to the pair valves. It removed the decel popping (or explosions as it would be more accurate to say).

--

For full view of the bike, goto http://www.winthers.org/service/1800_m/index.htm

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Great how to Tin, Thanks for doing that making it many have asked for a how to and my bike is not stock anymore so I could not show what needed to be shown to do a how to.

Quote Originally Posted by Anders
    Q: Why bother blocking the pairs. I did block/constrain the air to the pairs by just blocking the small tube piece, so no air could get to the pair valves. It removed the decel popping (or explosions as it would be more accurate to say).
    To answer your question. By using the plates it cleans up all unneccessary peices and parts (tubing and pair valves themselves). It is a very cheap mod and if you plan on doing your own work to your bike then having all unneccesary parts out of the way is great. Blocking the lines will work the same way but what you run into is lines getting bounced around and possibly burning to heads, mufflers, or rattling on other parts depending on what you used to block them. Also there is the possibility of what every you jammed in the end of the line to come loose and let unfiltered air in, Not good. This is just my observations and experience as well as an opinion. Everyone has their own thinking on doing some mods.
    Rick
    07' True full custom M109R. 1st round Mass Construction Finished. 2nd round is merely an image in my mind waiting for the metal to melt and become a reallity.

Innovator and builder of Milam Handlebars, Stainless steel Pair Block-Off plates and Gaskets, and motorcycle racks for the average consumer wanting quality parts for less money.

Nice job on the how to. You made it easy to follow and were were clear on the procedure. Thanks for the post.

Quote Originally Posted by i8yr5_0
    Great how to Tin, Thanks for doing that making it many have asked for a how to and my bike is not stock anymore so I could not show what needed to be shown to do a how to.

To answer your question. By using the plates it cleans up all unneccessary peices and parts (tubing and pair valves themselves). It is a very cheap mod and if you plan on doing your own work to your bike then having all unneccesary parts out of the way is great. Blocking the lines will work the same way but what you run into is lines getting bounced around and possibly burning to heads, mufflers, or rattling on other parts depending on what you used to block them. Also there is the possibility of what every you jammed in the end of the line to come loose and let unfiltered air in, Not good. This is just my observations and experience as well as an opinion. Everyone has their own thinking on doing some mods.
    Rick
    I am all about removing as much of the crap under there as possible. What about using two of the previously mentioned PVC caps at each of the pair valves? Remove all the hose but just cap off the valves? This is what I am looking to do so I do not need to worry about sealing up the new plates. Thoughts?
    David Neumann Jr.

2007 M109R - Sexy White
    2006 TB SS - Corvette Powered

Quote Originally Posted by i8yr5_0

Rick
    I hear ya, bro. Each to his own, I just had in mind 2 things:

1: Reverse-engineering back to stock - if I sell my bike, I can make this mod stock again in 5 minutes.
    2: Speed - it took me 15 minutes doing the mod

and result is the same, and you have only one place to look for seal problems, if occurring.

Anyway - it is great to see these "How To" posts. Great and dedicated work from you all.
    --

For full view of the bike, goto http://www.winthers.org/service/1800_m/index.htm

There are so many variations to this mod. This is just one option that many have opted to do. Do what ever make you happy and works for you. As for putting back to stock, as long as you do not cut hoses then putting everything back to stock will only take minutes to remove plates and connect hoses back to air box.

Rick
    07' True full custom M109R. 1st round Mass Construction Finished. 2nd round is merely an image in my mind waiting for the metal to melt and become a reallity.

Innovator and builder of Milam Handlebars, Stainless steel Pair Block-Off plates and Gaskets, and motorcycle racks for the average consumer wanting quality parts for less money.

What size cap die you get for the airbox after removing all the plumbing. I have the same plates from Rick that you have.

John Glass
    NC

Im not sure what size it is... Its pretty snug I had to just wiggle it on. It came in a set that I bought from autozone.

any info on where i can buy those block off plates?

Quote Originally Posted by blvd109
    any info on where i can buy those block off plates?
    Sure Rick https://www.m109riders.com/forum/inde...profile;u=6441 from here on the site makes the ones I did the how to with and they work great

Hi guys

What is different when you off the pair valves?

Quote Originally Posted by Rainey5230
    Hi guys

What is different after off the pair valves?
    I have do this in my scooter,but can't feel the different.
    I also have use a smaller air filter replace it in my car.And somebody use the oil catcher.
    How about in 9R?

Our 9R engine only have 2 ground wire.Usually mobile have 4 wires or more.
    I put 2 wires from battery to here pair valves cap.it is good for ignite.
    What?

wouldnt it be easier just to go to a auto store and by 3 rubber caps and just cap everything off? thats what we use to do with the gixxers
    2004 MSX109R - Screaming Egg Roll Edition - Custom carburetor intakes - Modified Carburetors - T3 Turbo - Custom JetKit - Custom 2-1-2-4 "Racing Exhaust" - Custom cam pulleys - Dubble Bubble Windshield - Frame Sliders - 24" Stretched Swingarm

Quote Originally Posted by VinnieB
    wouldnt it be easier just to go to a auto store and by 3 rubber caps and just cap everything off? thats what we use to do with the gixxers
    Might save yourself the trouble of removing the air box by using caps.

Quote Originally Posted by AWESOME109
    Might save yourself the trouble of removing the air box by using caps.
    It is not necessary to remove the air box to do this mod.
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by TINBOSKI
    The whole purpose of installing the block off plates is to get rid of the decel pop you get when you switch to aftermarket pipes. This is a how to based on having the bike already down to the top of the motor so you can see where everythings at....

If you look close you can see where carbon was blowing out from under the dlp plates too thin & no gasket.
    Great job! But I have not had any probs with the DLP plates. In the pic, if you flip over the plastic housing and remove the reed valve and then place it back in the head and install the blockoff plate on top of that, it acts as a gasket. Which is what I believe was intended anyway. No way I would install these without a gasket and expect them not to leak. 11,000 miles no leaking

I left the reed valve head on over the dlp kit and still had a leak. With the new plates I completely removed the plumbing.

i still think if would be easier just to get some rubber caps and cap everything off. rubber caps would be cheaper than them plates anyway. plus any auto store would have them.
    2004 MSX109R - Screaming Egg Roll Edition - Custom carburetor intakes - Modified Carburetors - T3 Turbo - Custom JetKit - Custom 2-1-2-4 "Racing Exhaust" - Custom cam pulleys - Dubble Bubble Windshield - Frame Sliders - 24" Stretched Swingarm

Quote Originally Posted by TINBOSKI
    I left the reed valve head on over the dlp kit and still had a leak. With the new plates I completely removed the plumbing.
    OK, thats cool, but the reed valve head is not a gasket between the DLP plate and the head Or am I misunderstanding something? I also have no plumbing, and I did not use the reed valve head

Just to clarify, The reed valve is inside the thing your calling a reed valve head. It (the reed valve) gets stuck in there with carbon deposits and can easily be removed from the reed valve head. It has a rubber seal all the way around it and can be used as a gasket with a block off plate on top of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Valiant
    OK, thats cool, but the reed valve head is not a gasket between the DLP plate and the head Or am I misunderstanding something? I also have no plumbing, and I did not use the reed valve head

Just to clarify, The reed valve is inside the thing your calling a reed valve head. It (the reed valve) gets stuck in there with carbon deposits and can easily be removed from the reed valve head. It has a rubber seal all the way around it and can be used as a gasket with a block off plate on top of it.
    Now I follow you. You removed the piece in the head and used it for a gasket
    Theres many different ways of doing this mod do the one that suits you best.

great how to.

Very Active Member peter-reebok's Avatar

didnt want to remove the airbox, so just added marbles to the front and rear hoses - remove the rad shroud to get at the front hose.

All up took 20 minutes - and the difference is chalk and cheese - now I dont feel so self conscious when approaching traffic lights!. No burps or pops!.

If I was more confident I could replace everything correctly - I would have done the blockoff method. Happy with the 'bodge' though.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by VinnieB View Post
    That is exactly what I did. Works great.
    Steve 07 le

Very Active Member Keep_Holding_On's Avatar

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Valiant View Post

Here is my 2 cents.... Great photos and explanation.

I did what Valiant did and re-used the reed valve with the rubber seal. The seal fits perfectly because it was there in the first place. But there is a little screw in the middle of the steel plate that must be backed out, or broken off, or ground down, so that the new plates will seat properly. Otherwise, if there is the slightest gap, there will be carbon blow-by. Also, there could be resulting decel pops. I speak from experience. So all I bought was the DLP plates and no gaskets.

Plugging up the system works, but there is a slight risk of the plugs coming off while working around them. The block-off plates allow you to get rid of all the rubber tubes and such, cleaning up the area. The plates are cheap too.

So why do this?
    Even with stock pipes, when you block these openings, there is a noticeable difference in the way the engine sounds on decel. When you downshift or engine brake, you get a more hushed, controlled sound. That blatty, raspy, fluttering sound, made worse by aftermarket pipes when downshifting will be eliminated. Example: That obnoxious sound that old diesel trucks make when they "jake brake" (engine brake, slowing the truck by downshifting, making noise, ) is a similar, but more pronounced noise.

Some actually like that noise. It sounds like to me.

I had a heck of a time re-attaching the front plate. A universal joint on my 1/4" ratchet extension was the trick for that tight space.

Hope this helps.

Boz
    2007 M109R LE Kury ISO grips, Rifle Windshield, de-badged, de-beavered, JSD 3M, drilled exhaust, Holley Intake, block off plates, Deuce backrest/rack, Goodrich stainless brake lines and clutch cable, Stebel air horn, turn signal beeper, chrome side covers, re-cut seats by Mean City Cycles, all aluminum parts at front end polished.

Default whoo

Thnak god for this forum, I thought I was going crazy...did the plate mod last night, wow the front sucks, good thing I have the hands of an 8 year old, I was able to get in there and do the work without removing everything, I was wondering what to do with the extra hose that is open, now I know...they should add a cap in the kit to block it off....just an idea.

Very Active Member

If you happen to be an ol' fart and ya don't pay close attention to the pics,
    you might experience a situation where the valve modules stick to the plastic housings when you remove the hardware.....
    and the block-off plate & gasket will mount up with no problems,
    ....... until a few thousand miles later when the gaskets, having been exposed directly to the hot exhaust gases,
    will turn into something that is no longer called a gasket,... and harden, ... and blow out
    ..... and the resulting noise will scare the shyt outta ya ! You will think yer valve train is coming apart ! !

(do not ask me how I know this)

2 marbles will do the trick. Have done 3 bikes so far in about 10 minutes.

John

Very Active Member

Is the only goal of this mod to make the bike sound different on decel
    I'm not bashing, I just haven't figured out why to do the work yet.