Notice a little antifreez today?

Thread: Notice a little antifreez today?

Default Notice a little antifreez today?

Lately i have been seen small spots of antifreeze on top of the started, i must have a small leak some where any body seen this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Notice a little antifreez today?

I have seen that as well and looking to find out where it is coming from. I will have it investigated when the bike is in for the 12,500 mile valve inspection.
    1990 Honda PC 800 (Sold), 2007 Zuki M109R (Pearl White) (Sold), Current ride '05 Honda Goldwing (Artic White) Still patrolling the M109R site because of old friends.

not on mine but if it is on the starter the only plumbing close by is the upper rad hose, it is right above it. I have had mine apart completely and know this for a fact and I also replaced those wimpy hose clamps with some beefier ones. I also noticed that even though my black 06' was only at 10k on mileage when it went down last year there was sediment (like dirt) in the cooling system especially in the overflow bottle but on the inside of nearly every hose. these might need a flush and refill after a year to clean them out. I went back with Engine Ice this time.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member

Try a search on coolant leak

Quote Originally Posted by steve j
    not on mine but if it is on the starter the only plumbing close by is the upper rad hose, it is right above it. I have had mine apart completely and know this for a fact and I also replaced those wimpy hose clamps with some beefier ones. I also noticed that even though my black 06' was only at 10k on mileage when it went down last year there was sediment (like dirt) in the cooling system especially in the overflow bottle but on the inside of nearly every hose. these might need a flush and refill after a year to clean them out. I went back with Engine Ice this time.
    I think it calls to change the coolant once every two years. When doing that you should remove the coolant reservoir bottle and clean it out.
    Bang for the Buck Mods link CLICK HERE
    Coming to a city near you..

Quote Originally Posted by rynosback
    I think it calls to change the coolant once every two years. When doing that you should remove the coolant reservoir bottle and clean it out.
    I know but mine was only a year old and had 10k on it and it was pretty nasty.

Very Active Member

remove air filters and tighten as many hoses that you can get at. hard riding before bike has warmed up enough for thermostat to open can lean to a buid up of pressure at the inlet.
    many have found loose hose clamps. what year is the bike? under warranty? let the dealer do it.
    Lets get that guy who designed the 4mm allen head bolt!

Or your can buy a pressure tester with the right adapter and check it yourself.

Default I also had an antifreeze leak

I've been reading this board for a long time, but this is my first post. Hope I am doing this correctly....

I have also been noticing that the antifreeze level had been going down over time, and a couple weeks ago, little green spots started appearing and I could smell the antifreeze when I was riding.

Took the tank and cowls off today and I think I found the culprit. There a 3-way connector at the top left side (left as you sit on the bike - same side as the overflow bottle). I could see evidence of coolant leaking from two of the three connections. Everything below that also has coolant leak evidence on it, so I'm guessing that the problem is this 3-way. All three band clamps were barely finger tight. I put a screwdriver on the three clamps and it took basically nothing to loosen them. I tightened up all three, being careful to not overtighten (this 3-way looks like it's all plastic).

I haven't verified that this corrected the problem yet, as I'm just hitting 2 years old with my nine, so I figured I would go ahead and get more antifreeze from the Zuki dealer tomorrow and go ahead and change the coolant while I had everything off. I will then be able to figure out if this fixed the problem or not. Wish me luck!

Very Active Member

Nothing like a "do-it-yourself" deal.
    Live your own life....... everyone else has one!

'07 Red with a "Natural Mystic Blowing Through The Air........."

Very Active Member biker-chicky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JoelM109R View Post
    Lately i have been seen small spots of antifreeze on top of the started, i must have a small leak some where any body seen this?
    ya i get it there lots as well it seems to drip out only once or twice on my rides i can smell it but then it dfoesnt hapen again untill my next start up . odd, on my last service which we couldnt do as we were traveling they said they didnt see any leaks . Oh well I topped it up and it only took about 1/2 a cup. I didnt take the shroud off I squeed it in threw the over flow tub that hangs under the bike. It was quicker.

I recently had my first antifreeze experience on my 9 as well. Right at that plastic "T" that was mentioned above. I had to take the tank off as well as the plastic neck piece and radiator shroud to get to the darn thing to clean it up and tighten it. It didn't leave puddles on the ground, but there were small splashes on the fan housing and down tube and front cylinder and starter. I looked at most of my other clamps and they seemed to be okay. I guess it had to happen sooner or later. I have just over 9500 miles on my 9 so I consider myself fairly lucky. Lots of people here had problems much sooner.
    I would if I could, but I can't so I won't!

Quote Originally Posted by jhwalker View Post
    I've been reading this board for a long time, but this is my first post. Hope I am doing this correctly....

I have also been noticing that the antifreeze level had been going down over time, and a couple weeks ago, little green spots started appearing and I could smell the antifreeze when I was riding.

Took the tank and cowls off today and I think I found the culprit. There a 3-way connector at the top left side (left as you sit on the bike - same side as the overflow bottle). I could see evidence of coolant leaking from two of the three connections. Everything below that also has coolant leak evidence on it, so I'm guessing that the problem is this 3-way. All three band clamps were barely finger tight. I put a screwdriver on the three clamps and it took basically nothing to loosen them. I tightened up all three, being careful to not overtighten (this 3-way looks like it's all plastic).

I haven't verified that this corrected the problem yet, as I'm just hitting 2 years old with my nine, so I figured I would go ahead and get more antifreeze from the Zuki dealer tomorrow and go ahead and change the coolant while I had everything off. I will then be able to figure out if this fixed the problem or not. Wish me luck!
    That one and the hose that runs between the jugs are the two common leaks.

Very Active Member biker-chicky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by biker-chicky View Post
    ya i get it there lots as well it seems to drip out only once or twice on my rides i can smell it but then it dfoesnt hapen again untill my next start up . odd, on my last service which we couldnt do as we were traveling they said they didnt see any leaks . Oh well I topped it up and it only took about 1/2 a cup. I didnt take the shroud off I squeed it in threw the over flow tub that hangs under the bike. It was quicker.
    oh my! I still have this leak, lol, 10 years and I'm still topping it up the same way, lol, man I need to do some maintanance! Lol , oh hell, I just want to ride! No big deal!