M109R vs M109R2

Thread: M109R vs M109R2

Default M109R vs M109R2

Just started looking at the 109 series including the C109 group. Any major differences other than style?

Other then the new style of headlight, is anything different on a M109R2 than a M109R?

Thanks!
    Work for a Living...Play for a LIFE! McSnagg Omaha, NE 2008 BLACK M109R2. Mods: Debadged, Debaffled, Debeavered, Engine Guards, ISO Grips & Wings, Throttle Boss, Cycle House Mirror Extensions, Chrome DS Cover, Suzuki OE Touring Shield, Gel Seats, Stebel Horn, Mobil 1

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: M109R vs M109R2

to the forum!

The R and R2 only differ in the headlight, everything else is the same. They did something to the light bar under the headlight on the 08 models too, but the mechanicals are all the same.

For the touring models they tuned them for more low end torque, and increased the crankshaft weight by 20 pounds. Kind of makes you wonder how heavy that crankshaft is to begin with. And of course the styling is quite a bit different.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoom
    to the forum!

The R and R2 only differ in the headlight, everything else is the same. They did something to the light bar under the headlight on the 08 models too, but the mechanicals are all the same.

For the touring models they tuned them for more low end torque, and increased the crankshaft weight by 20 pounds. Kind of makes you wonder how heavy that crankshaft is to begin with. And of course the styling is quite a bit different.
    I think it said by 20 %.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

zook, I think you're right. I'd only be right if it weighed 100 pounds to begin with.

Quote from Suzuki's website for the C model M109's:
    Crank inertia for the C109R is increased by 20% for increased torque delivery at low speed and for reduced vibration across the rpm range

Welcome to the group .

Very Active Member

New guy here, old thread here! LOL

Looking at 2008 M109R but does not seem to be R2 and the light is different, one I am looking at has light that is not have the big shroud around it?

This is NOT the bike but looks exact to this one! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iBiOEFH21Q

What am I looking at? Also read something about metal engine covers not plastic on R2? HD dealer says its NOT R2 by the VIN, but MK8 but thought 2008's were a R2, so confused!

Quote Originally Posted by StitchsLoft View Post
    New guy here, old thread here! LOL

Looking at 2008 M109R but does not seem to be R2 and the light is different, one I am looking at has light that is not have the big shroud around it?

This is NOT the bike but looks exact to this one! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iBiOEFH21Q

What am I looking at? Also read something about metal engine covers not plastic on R2? HD dealer says its NOT R2 by the VIN, but MK8 but thought 2008's were a R2, so confused!
    The bike in the video you provided is DEFINITELY an M109R2. If the bike you’re looking at looks exactly like the one in the video, it is an M109R2. 2008 was the only year Suzuki produced the M109R2, but they also produced the M109R that year. There were some early year models that had plastic engine cylinder covers, but after a certain point or year model Suzuki changed them to metal. You can’t tell the difference by just looking at them. If the VIN NUMBER verifies that it’s not an R2 version, the previous owner may have switched the headlight out. I have a 2008 M109R2, but when I bought it from the original owner he had already switched the headlight from an M109R2 version to the M109R headlight bucket. Looking at the bike, you can’t tell it is an M109R2, instead of an M109R. Now it has a Victory Jackpot Headlight Assembly on it. So, I guess you could call it an M109R3.
    Last edited by JUDAH-9; 05-30-2018 at 05:24 PM.

The 2006 model year was the only year where all the engine covers, top and bottom, were plastic. They changed all of them to metal in 07. For a weight gain of seven pounds. Nothing really. One of my plastic cylinder head covers, the chrome is starting to flake off and it's wrinkly in appearance. Only one, the right rear. The other three look great. Not sure what I'm going to do yet, order them in metal, or have them stripped and painted a different color. Hmmmm?

Judah-9,
    I just looked at photos of your nine. It looks as if your headlight is pointing down a lot. It is set up for riding at night? Where did you put all the stuff that was in the headlight shroud, or because it was an R2 was the stuff already put somewhere else?

I added a headlight similar to the one you put on your Nine to my VTX F. Now I have one HID and one LED. Good light at night.

The photo shows an incandescent light below that HID. The photo was taken before I swapped the incandescent to an LED.

Judah-9,
    I just looked at photos of your nine. It looks as if your headlight is pointing down a lot. It is set up for riding at night? Where did you put all the stuff that was in the headlight shroud, or because it was an R2 was the stuff already put somewhere else?

I added a headlight similar to the one you put on your Nine to my VTX F. Now I have one HID and one LED. Good light at night.

The photo shows an incandescent light below that HID. The photo was taken before I swapped the incandescent to an LED.

Metalman, those pics were from 2008, and yes, the Headlight was pointing downward at that time, primarily because it was not tightened down properly to hold it in place. Back then the bike had a set of Mortonís 7 Degree Raked Triple Trees on it, and has since been changed back to Stock Triple Trees, the Headlight is now securely positioned more parallel to the ground, and the bike has been totally upgraded regarding the esthetics and performance. As for the stuff in headlight, it all fit in there just fine. Itís really just the wiring, because that particular headlight assembly does not have a lot of other components inside of it.

The way the cowl looks on the standard Nine makes it appear the headlight is pointed down. In reality, it's not. The top of the cowl overhangs the top of the headlight quite far, where the bottom is nearly flush. So it works quite well at night.

Always considered the R2 version the circumsized M109R. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by JUDAH-9 View Post
    The bike in the video you provided is DEFINITELY an M109R2. If the bike youíre looking at looks exactly like the one in the video, it is an M109R2. 2008 was the only year Suzuki produced the M109R2, but they also produced the M109R that year. There were some early year models that had plastic engine cylinder covers, but after a certain point or year model Suzuki changed them to metal. You canít tell the difference by just looking at them. If the VIN NUMBER verifies that itís not an R2 version, the previous owner may have switched the headlight out. I have a 2008 M109R2, but when I bought it from the original owner he had already switched the headlight from an M109R2 version to the M109R headlight bucket. Looking at the bike, you canít tell it is an M109R2, instead of an M109R. Now it has a Victory Jackpot Headlight Assembly on it. So, I guess you could call it an M109R3.
    Quote Originally Posted by cbxer55 View Post
    Always considered the R2 version the circumsized M109R. LOL
    See thats was what I was thinking too! This is crazy there is NOTHING on VIN or any paperwork shows as R2, I am not sure I like it as much as the cowl one either but its nice bike and there is always upgrades! According to the dealership computer its listed as MK8, NADA only shows a K8, no R2 listed anywhere, why do they make this so hard? Do I call Suzuki?

OMG that I will never forget cbxer LOL

Thanks guys ya only has 6,100 miles... So here is the M109R2 LOL

I signed the papers today but ordered Cobra Fi2000 PowrPro Black Fuel Processor & pipe, plus a few small things like engine guards to have put on while they go over everything so couple more weeks for parts to come in... They even had order my new helmet no SILVER in stock LOL

So how do I look? This is big jump from the M50 but should be able to get it down with some practice! May take re-fresher class, prob could use it anyway!

Attachment 377826

Quote Originally Posted by cbxer55 View Post
    The 2006 model year was the only year where all the engine covers, top and bottom, were plastic. They changed all of them to metal in 07. For a weight gain of seven pounds. Nothing really. One of my plastic cylinder head covers, the chrome is starting to flake off and it's wrinkly in appearance. Only one, the right rear. The other three look great. Not sure what I'm going to do yet, order them in metal, or have them stripped and painted a different color. Hmmmm?

Will the 2007 metal engine covers fit on the 2006?
    Would it be cost prohibitive to change them out to metal?
    Doesn't look like it would be difficult to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Camillion View Post

Will the 2007 metal engine covers fit on the 2006?
    Would it be cost prohibitive to change them out to metal?
    Doesn't look like it would be difficult to do.
    The lower covers will fit fine, but the 4 covers on the jugs have different mounting brackets for the metal and plastic. So you would have to change the mounting brackets as well.

Yup. Bought some metal covers for my 06 from a member here, BearingCSparky. He also provided the brackets with the covers. Putting them on was trouble free.

Question Engine covers

Where do I find the lower metal covers as well as the upper if available?