M109 Rider Forums banner

Ride Wednesday 11/21/7 **ride for the Turkeys

3K views 58 replies 10 participants last post by  sledzep01 
#1 ·
Who would be up for a ride this Wednesday? Jazzman, Lucky06, and myself are planning a ride. It sounded like if we were going to ride as a group this week, Wed. would be the day. If you want to ride let us know. I also have a V-strom rider that will probably be joining us. We will probably be leaving around 8 or 9 and I will be coming back around 3 or 3:30. Stay tuned for more information.

#3 ·
Ok, let's go ahead and setup the meeting time/place. Let's meet at 8:30 at the McDonalds in Oakwood. As far as the destination goes, I'm sure we will be heading North for the mountains. This is my suggestion:

Let's ride to Helen and then take 17/75 North. We would cross Unicoi Gap (elevation 2949 feet). Then we would need to turn left onto GA 180 toward Brasstown Bald. We could visit the top of the Bald (elevation 4784 feet) or keep riding. Next we would turn left onto the Richard B. Russell Scenic Highway (GA 348). It has alot of sweeping curves and some goot overlooks. We would cross Hogpen Gap and see some real nice scenery. From the Hogpen Gap we would ride alongside the Raven Cliffs Wilderness Area. It has 6 overlooks of which 3 are paved (great views). Then we would take a left on Alt 75 back towards Helen.

Here is where the McDonalds in Oakland, I mean Oakwood is:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=...05,-83.912888&spn=0.242689,0.457306&z=11&om=1

#4 ·
This is sounding very temping. I need to see how work goes. The only concern for me is
that it takes me an hour just to get to the meeting spot on a Saturday with no traffic.
And I seriously do not think traffic will be flowing on Wensday. So I might need to look
at a map to find a different way to the meeting spot.

Tim

#6 ·
timmy, where exactly are you coming from? I live on the southeast side of Atlanta and it usually takes me about an hour to hour and fifteen minutes on Saturday to get to Oakwood. If you are anywhere near Stockbridge area I could meet up with you and there is a back way that may be a little more free flowing that will put us up on Hwy 20 going toward Buford and then We can jump on 985. Like I said I can't remember what part of town you are coming from so let me know.

#9 ·
Lucky I am on the north west side of town. I am just trying to figure a route that will get me there with out having to deal with I75 south I285 east at that time of the morning. But also I am with Jazz I need to see how work goes. If I have a job left over from Tuesday that I can not get parts for then I will half to go in and finish
it on Wensday.

Tim

#19 ·
Ok, I have confirmed with Lucky06 and Jazzman that they will be there. Lonewolf and I spoke on Sunday evening and he said he would be there. I have a V-strom rider that will be there and Valiant and Timmyatl are on the fence. Does that sound about right? Should be a great day for riding. :doorag:

#20 ·
Guys, I don't know if I'm up for this ride. I went back up to Mineral Bluff yesterday. Logged another 230 miles and my ole arse is worn out. Went back down 60 to the TWO and down 180, then back to the TWO and headed home. I found that I can't be any more aggressive by myself than went I'm with you guys. Maybe I'll get up in the morning and maybe I'll sleep. We'll see! If I don't show, hope you have a GOOD,SAFE ride. Wolf

#22 ·
Valiant said:
Are you guys going to meet at 8:30 and then drink coffee, leave shortly after? I'm still on the fence but sorta planing on going. I need at least 3.5 hours of sleep/rest.
That sounds good to me but if you need a little more time then I would be cool with throwing the time back some. Nice avatar by the way! :joke: :bigthumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.