Thought on JSD's and rough shifting.....

Thread: Thought on JSD's and rough shifting.....

Very Active Member **CENSORED**'s Avatar

Default Thought on JSD's and rough shifting.....

The thread I just read about disabling the clutch switch got me thinkin'. The ignition timing changes when you pull the clutch in, those of us with the original JSD's can attest to that. Is that feature purposely implemented to help the bike shift smoother? Anybody who has driven a big truck before knows you can use the Jake brake to drive the RPM's down therefor making your shifts faster and smoother. Could this be the same concept?. Could the JSD affect this and make the shifts more difficult?. Your thoughts please....Jason

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Thought on JSD's and rough shifting.....

Nah... just the way it was designed. Mine has been clunky since day one... no change after JSD. Just gotta learn how to shift more "positivley".

Quote Originally Posted by legbuh
    Nah... just the way it was designed. Mine has been clunky since day one... no change after JSD. Just gotta learn how to shift more "positivley".
    ----preload

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member

Every bike is unique and in time you will learn how to drive it.I have 15000 kms and I have finally learned how to drive and get the most out of this bike.

seems like theres a point in the power curve in 1st, that you can shift without a clank or grind, sometimes i hit it and others i don't...only thing i can relate it to is when you float a shift without the clutch...theres a point where the engine rpm's and gear box mesh and the shift just drops in....jmho...

by the way..i do use the clutch...

Very Active Member **CENSORED**'s Avatar

I've never had a problem shifting the bike or thought it was unreasonably harsh. I don't double clutch or preload the shifter and always use the clutch. If your let the RPM's build shift it quick and with authority mine shifts really nice. It was just a idea thrown out for conversation. So why do you think or do you know why they felt the need to change the ignition timing when the clutch is pulled it?...Jason

When exactly does it retard the timing, and when does it restore it?

The only possible reason I could think of would be to reduce the load on the drivetrain, if you're shifting under power.

Lots of cars and trucks with automatic transmissions have the timing retarded at the shift point to reduce wear, and to smooth the shifts. I can't imagine it being to smooth the shifts though, as that depends on how hard you hit the throttle after you shift.

Very Active Member

I believe there are actually two issues with the rough shifting. The first one is that I dont believe that the clearance for the pressure plate is enough, causing it to barely get out of gear when you disengage it with the clutch. The second is when you have a jsd, it seems as if basically its giving it constant gas so when you shift and release the clutch, it is already getting fuel, causing it to shift into gear a bit aggressively. The reason its smoother from 2 and up is because the torque is less. Thats my opinion.
    Ridin it like I stole it....