Found Clutch Judder/rattle !!!! Update 17/9 - Page 9
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: Found Clutch Judder/rattle !!!! Update 17/9

Quote Originally Posted by flcusat View Post
    I just n0ticed that the part number for the Clutch Hub changed on 2011. The old part number use to be 21410-48G00 (06-10) and starting 21011 is 21410-48G10. I don't know if there is just a change in the part number, or if there is any actual differences on the hub.
    I'm not sure if they made changes, but I can tell you the last hub I replaced has very little to no vibration going on with way more mileage. I suspect they either changed something, or improved it in some way.
    I had vibrations from my stock 06 almost right away. Have put about 60,000 - 70,000 km's on the last hub with no problems yet. I do feel a little vibration, but nothing to speak of.
    The original hub was extremely bad.
    I would change it with a new one, and not bother with the bluey fix at all. Just ride it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member

All the same issues here with my '07,.....played with bending the tabs for the springs on the original piece years ago,...got quieter then but the 3,000-vibration came along later.
    Been tolerating it for ages, ...., finally tired/bored enough to replace the clutch hub to see if the vibrations are lessened.
    Ordered 21410-48G00 from Oneida Suzuki, assuming that if either form, fit, or function has changed that it would be sub'd up to 21410-48G10.
    I don't expect that to happen since the newer style parts are listed as only for '11 & up and use a different clutch-pack.
    I've already replaced the 2 weird washers to cure the 'judders' so this will simply be a hub-replacement and nothing else.

feedback coming . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by da piglet View Post
    All the same issues here with my '07,.....played with bending the tabs for the springs on the original piece years ago,...got quieter then but the 3,000-vibration came along later.
    Been tolerating it for ages, ...., finally tired/bored enough to replace the clutch hub to see if the vibrations are lessened.
    Ordered 21410-48G00 from Oneida Suzuki, assuming that if either form, fit, or function has changed that it would be sub'd up to 21410-48G10.
    I don't expect that to happen since the newer style parts are listed as only for '11 & up and use a different clutch-pack.
    I've already replaced the 2 weird washers to cure the 'judders' so this will simply be a hub-replacement and nothing else.

I found Bluey's clutch sleeve hub fix with great joy. I got the plates out of the sleeve and tried to unlock the nut holding the hub sleeve on. The lock was just a hole punched into one of the gaps. I could not get the punched piece out of the way to take the 30mm nut off. Can anyone give me suggestions on how to release the lock?

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

I believe I used a screwdeiver and a pair of channel locks to get it as best I could. But used an impact and just spun it off.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by M109Dreamer View Post
    I believe I used a screwdeiver and a pair of channel locks to get it as best I could. But used an impact and just spun it off.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Thanks, an impact gun it is!

I have looked at replacing the clutch hub sleeve also. The part number, I think is Suzuki OEM Part # 21410-48G00 - HUB,CLUTCH. It cost about $300 Canadian or $100 US! Just kidding. Can you tell me what the one you order cost approx? Thanks. Cheers

Default clutch shudder

hey fellows another way to quieten and rid the clutch shudder is do push pin mod and shim the 6 springs holding the faceplate
    to the basket will make big difference cheap and easy fix all u need 6 flat 1 to 1.5 mm washers bench grinder for pin mod
    bit sealant and u be flickin clutch like a mad man
    mick from down under

Quote Originally Posted by smokd View Post
    hey fellows another way to quieten and rid the clutch shudder is do push pin mod and shim the 6 springs holding the faceplate
    to the basket will make big difference cheap and easy fix all u need 6 flat 1 to 1.5 mm washers bench grinder for pin mod
    bit sealant and u be flickin clutch like a mad man
    mick from down under
    Hey Mick from Down Under,
    I have done the push pin mod and replace the friction plates on the clutch. Are you saying that you just add flat 1 to 1.5 mm
    thick washers to the faceplate and tighten the springs to the proper torque? The judder that bluey seems to be talking about is different than clutch shudder. He believes that the springs on the rear of the clutch hub sleeve are too loose and the tabs need to be hammered down onto the springs tighter. The indications of this problem are an unusually loud noise coming from the clutch area at 3,000 to 3,500 rpms and a noticeable rougher ride. What say you, Mick? Cheers

Very Active Member

I paid $229 for mine from Oneida Suzuki.
    My 3,000 vibration is gone.
    The noise level is very much reduced from the original.
    I won't be bending tabs on this one.

I paid $229 for mine from Oneida Suzuki.
    My 3,000 vibration is gone.
    The noise level is very much reduced from the original.
    I won't be bending tabs on this one.
    Hey da piglet,
    Thanks for the info. Oneida Suzuki seems to have the best price around. Cheers

I did the clutch hub, washer and all the associated parts on my 2007 M109 along with the tube nut fix while I was in there and never had an issue, I now have a 2016 B.O.S.S and you can still hear that rattling noise of the clutch hub Springs (YUK!....good job susuki!) It's such a shame susuki can't make this clutch hub a hydraulicaly dampened dual mass unit instead of a loose noisy spring loaded dual mass unit or at least added an oil squirter tube tapped into the lube system to sguirt the face of the clutch hub springs to quiet them down a bit (hint hint) anyone, we have a lot of machinists in the forums :)....anyone else agree on this?
    Last edited by jammer; 07-30-2016 at 01:22 PM.

Default Clutch whirling at 2,500rpm

My 2006 109R has 13,000 miles on it.

Consistently at 2,500rpm, in gear, the bike has developed a soft whirling, whirring, sputtering noise on the right side...like a loose bearing - Confident the noise is coming from under the clutch cover.

I don't ride the bike hard but 10 years on the original clutch components is probably too long ?

I'm hoping it is just the six clutch springs, plates, or the #33 clutch release bearing.

Or could it be just bending the tabs down on the 'damper' springs ?

Thought I would ask the forum before I start throwing money into parts.

Should I go to a dealer ?

Exhaust system looks pretty intimidating to remove in order to get to the clutch cover.

Any thoughts on this ?

If I don't fix this noise, will it get worse and can I damage my bike ?

Rob in Livermore, CA

Quote Originally Posted by hartley4 View Post
    My 2006 109R has 13,000 miles on it.

Consistently at 2,500rpm, in gear, the bike has developed a soft whirling, whirring, sputtering noise on the right side...like a loose bearing - Confident the noise is coming from under the clutch cover.

I don't ride the bike hard but 10 years on the original clutch components is probably too long ?

I'm hoping it is just the six clutch springs, plates, or the #33 clutch release bearing.

Or could it be just bending the tabs down on the 'damper' springs ?

Thought I would ask the forum before I start throwing money into parts.

Should I go to a dealer ?

Exhaust system looks pretty intimidating to remove in order to get to the clutch cover.

Any thoughts on this ?

If I don't fix this noise, will it get worse and can I damage my bike ?

Rob in Livermore, CA
    Whatever you do, don't bend the tangs in on the springs. They are loose for a reason and there's simply no reason to bend the tabs in on them. You will just make metal shavings over time.

OK So bend the tangs or no? I have the vibration under acceleration between 2500-4000 RPM's and then it goes away once you hit the cruise speed. So will bending the tangs cause damage? If so I am not going to do it and I will live with the vibration.......

Default rattling springs

Quote Originally Posted by str8jailbird View Post
    OK So bend the tangs or no? I have the vibration under acceleration between 2500-4000 RPM's and then it goes away once you hit the cruise speed. So will bending the tangs cause damage? If so I am not going to do it and I will live with the vibration.......
    I was under impression that those loose springs only cause 'tambourine' rattling sound, not the vibrations you described....
    M109R 2011 Black, 2" lowering bones, air horn, flash to pass garage door opener, Brakeaway Cruise Control, V-stream windshield, Back Off Brake hold, OEM engine guards, Cobra One Piece rear luggage carrier, Cobra Tri Pro 2 in 1 Black exhaust, Cobra FI 2000 AT fuel processor.

Thumbs up Old 06

Thanks Bluey, my old bike has 150,000km and I need to replace the clutch as it's starting to slip a little now, however I will definitely be doing your copper mallet trick on the clutch hub and checking the motor mounts. I have had shudder from the lights but overall this is rare in my bike, I love the 9 and it goes hard all the time. I hope I get many more miles from her yet, best bike out of about 12 different types I have ever had.