Found Clutch Judder/rattle !!!! Update 17/9 - Page 8
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Found Clutch Judder/rattle !!!! Update 17/9

Quote Originally Posted by Timbo0824 View Post
    well now, this is interesting to me...

I just did a search on babbitts sports center... That part that they're listing for the clutch basket on the 06 and 07 machines is an '08 part number...

SKU: 21100-48G01
    GEAR ASSY, PRIMARY DRIVE NT:33,MODEL K8 NT:33,MODEL K8

not the same as the one in Listan's post. :-

Can't help but wonder given Zook's track record with customer service if they didn't just re-design it and not offer a recall. Kinda dumb seeing as how I think if someone got hurt by their clutch causing the bike to buck, I think they'd have some something to load the gun with in a courtroom.
    this is correct that is the right p/n and yes zuki did redign it however this was for a hard shift and jumping out of gear!! im going to replace it anyway since i got to be in there sometimes i have a very hard time shifting night before last my clutch just quit working had to drive it 73 miles just to get back to my shop and to my truck. last night pull it down and found the clutch spring set bolts totally loose. well i went ahead and did the bluey fix while i was in there i tore the gaskets when taking the covers of so the will both be here tomorrow and ill put it back together tomorrow and drive it. il let you all know what i find

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

ok i have results i just finished doing to bluey fix and thetube nut had came off and the clutch springs were totally loose so i did all this and put it back togethter wow what a different bike i really do think he has hit the nail on the head i know it will come back cuz this is a weak point but yes it works also alot of goog info and parts to be had from realmccoy you got a problem with these m109r call him and also he has developed his own cam and ported head for these things. gets the hp up to 145 hp

oh one other thing in the middle of the clutchis a clutch push rod with asmall bearing, tube that is threated with a piece of allthread running through it and on the end sticking out of the clutch is a jam nut well.....if you try to find the adjustment for this it is in a weird place in the book. if you call the dealer they will tell you dont touch it this is one of those things we leave alone. the adjustment is as follows the jam nut is a 10mm the tube is a 12mm and the all thread is a phillips on the end of it all this will be sticking out of the middle of the clutch hold the tube with a 12mm break the jam nut loose with a 10mm then screw the center all thread in until you feel resistance then back it out 1 full turn then tighten down the jam nut. this should get the job done!!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

So to the person who bought the '08 clutch hub with the springs in it, are the tolerances any better than before? Are the springs actually tight without any play? I'd like to know so that if I do end up replacing the hub I'll get the newer one and tighten the flaps for a quieter ride.

Ride safe,

Nathan

Default Bumpage

Need to hear about any changes.

Great thread...

Thanks
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by BigpapaM109 View Post
    Here is the pdf for the adjustment...
    thanks papa!!

Has anyone seen any long term negative effects from doing the fix? In a nut shell will it hurt the bike in the long run if I close the gap with the tabs?

dv0042

Quote Originally Posted by TRFDENG View Post
    Has anyone seen any long term negative effects from doing the fix? In a nut shell will it hurt the bike in the long run if I close the gap with the tabs?

Some of the first guys to do this have no doubt put some significant miles on since...I haven't seen any posts about negative long term effects. Even if the hub falls apart, you can get a new one for about $150.

Quote Originally Posted by dv0042 View Post
    Some of the first guys to do this have no doubt put some significant miles on since...I haven't seen any posts about negative long term effects. Even if the hub falls apart, you can get a new one for about $150.
    The springs are there only to balance and take the vibration aroun the clutch area. By tightening them up we haven't removed the purpose of the springs, instead we've made them do their job with less play from side to side.

This fix is a must for those who get some vibrations around 3000 to 3500 RPM. This could be considered easy to medium in terms of mechanical skill required to do the fix. All of the pictures will provide a perfect guide for someone wanting to do the fix.

Ride safe,

Nathan

Very Active Member

hey all, 8000kms on the bluey fix and no negative effects, am taking clutch appart soon to do an inspection, will let all know soon. johnnytherock
    2007 red zook 109r<br />2008 yamaha raider<br />2000 honda shadow vlx600<br />2005 red zook xl7<br />1998 zook quadrunner 500<br />1996 zook king quad 300

Bluey,

Whats the go with our/your clutch, this thread seems to have gone cold

Very Active Member Easy E on a 9's Avatar

Default clutch

Quote Originally Posted by Anzac_MF View Post
    Bluey,

Whats the go with our/your clutch, this thread seems to have gone cold
    Yeah..any more news on this?? where is Bluey.whom we all come to need..
    E

Quote Originally Posted by BigpapaM109 View Post
    Here is the part # 21410-48G00

Ron Ayers has it for $186 or something. I got mine for a little cheaper but not by much. FYI, I am not saying that here is a problem with the bluey fix. I am saying I feel more comfortable by just slapping a new hub in every 10k miles if need be vs. possible metal shavings in the motor and/or damage.
    I have to agree with ya Harris. I'm hopeful that after A LOT of testing and development, that McCoy, comes up with a new hub that will solve a lot of the issues we are having with our 109 drive line. I will admit I have been tempted by the undercutting of the gears and the replacement of the shift forks that some here have undertaken but at this stage of the game I have 10k in my bike and really do not want to put much more into it. My bike after the Barnett cable/re-route, switch to syn oil and shift star, is not as bad as it use to be shifting wise. At some point you need to decide where you are are and where you want to go with expense on your ride. I think I am there....but maybe a 280 and some custom wheels....maybe, maybe not

Thanks for the info all. My 9 just started to buck taking off from first gear. I finally know what is meant by the " Bluey Fix". Question, does anyone know if this is something that can be fixed under warranty? Or are they still denying this is a problem. Maybe its in a post somewhere, but I have been researching this issue in the posts since it started happening and am finally finding some answers from you all, so thought I would ask that before spending more time reading through pages of posts. Thanks all.
    10:9 Romans NIV

Thee Silver Bullet
    XP Backoff, Memphis Hellcat Shield, JSD3, Carbon Tank Cover, NUVI 360, SilverStar Ultra Lamp, De-Beavered / De-Baffled, Stebel AirHorn, AirForce Veteran Speedo Plate, Phazer Driving Lamps

Unhappy Clutch Judder !!!!!!!!!!!

Bluey, Great work you have done on this, i have the same problem on my M1800R Ltd Edition UK version of the M109R.
    I bought my bike with 1400mile on the clock, the previous owner told me about the clutch judder when bike was cold and that this was normal.
    I experience this judder every other day and will see if i can manage to bend them tabs over like you have done.
    Why don’t we ask Vince Just M109 Riders.com to set up a partition with all the riders names, same as we do with group buy's of all members who have this same problem and send this to Suzuki, to get a recall done on this great beast off a bike ? what you think.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by Munsterm1800r View Post
    Bluey, Great work you have done on this, i have the same problem on my M1800R Ltd Edition UK version of the M109R.
    I bought my bike with 1400mile on the clock, the previous owner told me about the clutch judder when bike was cold and that this was normal.
    I experience this judder every other day and will see if i can manage to bend them tabs over like you have done.
    Why don’t we ask Vince Just M109 Riders.com to set up a partition with all the riders names, same as we do with group buy's of all members who have this same problem and send this to Suzuki, to get a recall done on this great beast off a bike ? what you think.
    Matey, the bluey fix does not fix the clutch shudder.It is to fix or reduce the clutch rattle.Do a search here for Clutch shudder and you will find the new Wave washer number and NO2 clutch plate number to fix the shudder.Did mine 3 weeks ago.

Default its been sometime since Bluey post this thead, we been calling The Bluey Fix

After a couple Yeats now since Blue discovered and posted this the at about the clutch springs tabs to minimize or eliminate the noise vibrating clutch issue alot of thiese bikes bbeen hhaveing over the years. I had no reasone to do this tab being deal as I have never had this problem, even that the picture in the beginningof this the ad is that of m clutch and is still the original even after 24,000+ miles.

For those that done this for the right reasons, how has it work out. How much mile since you did it. Have developed and other problem that might be directly related to the original problem or cause by bending the tabs. Have you notice any increase in metalon oil change. Have anyone look at the wear on the springs and tabs to see if there is any.
    After a year or two, will you recommend this fix, base on your experiance.

I did this fix a couple of years ago.
    It did fix the vibration for sure. Got rid of the rough idle, got rid of the vibration between 3,000 and 4,000 rpm's too. Lasted a a good season. However the vibration has slowly come back. I will be replacing my basket with new this year. I doubt I will do this fix with the new basket, knowing it's temporary.
    I will post with the condition of the springs and basket when I break into it again. I haven't noticed anything adverse affects from doing this fix at all though.

Quote Originally Posted by new109rider View Post
    Thanks for the info all. My 9 just started to buck taking off from first gear. I finally know what is meant by the " Bluey Fix". Question, does anyone know if this is something that can be fixed under warranty? Or are they still denying this is a problem. Maybe its in a post somewhere, but I have been researching this issue in the posts since it started happening and am finally finding some answers from you all, so thought I would ask that before spending more time reading through pages of posts. Thanks all.
    Some bikes in my region have had their clutch fixed free without warranty. I see Suziki is acknowledging the problem by sending out a service bulletin describing the new dimentions of the wave washer.

Default clutch basket springs

Every hayabusa clutch basket I have seen has had springs somewhat lose. On the other hand someone with more experience than myself shook one in front of me and said when they rattle like THAT they should be replaced. Frankly I was so hard on them with drag racing that I replaced them and the center piece whenever I had a clutch problem. I ended up with a bunch of them. I just gave them away because of the value of the ring gear. You need them for the aftermarket billet basket.

Hmm never found this thread before. But my bike has had these problems from day one. When the bike had 6 miles on it.

Default cluch rattle

did you have a service manual or get tear down info from someone

Quote Originally Posted by blubyubusa View Post
    Every hayabusa clutch basket I have seen has had springs somewhat lose. On the other hand someone with more experience than myself shook one in front of me and said when they rattle like THAT they should be replaced. Frankly I was so hard on them with drag racing that I replaced them and the center piece whenever I had a clutch problem. I ended up with a bunch of them. I just gave them away because of the value of the ring gear. You need them for the aftermarket billet basket.
    The problem is the springs are not replaceable on this bike with this basket. Not sure about the Hayabusa's.
    The entire basket has to be replaced and those cost around $230.00

OK guys, this thread has been dead for 4 years now, and I'm bringing it back to life to find out if Suzuki ever made a new clutch hub.
    I have my clutch apart and I was ready to do the Bluey Fix, but if there is a new piece that solved all this issues I will order it.
    By the way I'm replacing the clutch plates that came on my 07 (total of 11) with the plates from the 11 and up (total of 13).
    2007 M109R, Mods: Avon Air Grips, Custom Derby Cover, Rivco Brake Pedal, TRE.

I just n0ticed that the part number for the Clutch Hub changed on 2011. The old part number use to be 21410-48G00 (06-10) and starting 21011 is 21410-48G10. I don't know if there is just a change in the part number, or if there is any actual differences on the hub.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Canuk View Post
    The problem is the springs are not replaceable on this bike with this basket. Not sure about the Hayabusa's.
    The entire basket has to be replaced and those cost around $230.00
    My friend in WA replaced his. He had to drill out the rivets then replace the springs with GOOD one, same tension. 3 of his stock springs were broke. Then he put super duty bolts and nuts back in and spot welded the nuts. His bike has NO vibration or clutch shudder. Felt kinda nice riding his . LOL I dont have the shudder but I do have the vibration from 3000-3500 rpm. No big, just give it more gas.

I also looked at Barnett's site and found this kitt of Clutch Springs.

http://www.barnettclutches.com/1014/...uki-m109r.html

Does anybody know what difference does this kit make on the clutch?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by flcusat View Post
    I also looked at Barnett's site and found this kitt of Clutch Springs.

http://www.barnettclutches.com/1014/...uki-m109r.html

Does anybody know what difference does this kit make on the clutch?
    We're taking hub springs not pressure plate springs....

Quote Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
    We're taking hub springs not pressure plate springs....
    Yes, but I was wondering what difference these make.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by flcusat View Post
    Yes, but I was wondering what difference these make.
    Stronger spring pressure, harder to work the clutch. Most just go with the stock ones there. They work just fine......Our cables don't need anymore pressure on them.