M109 Rider Forums banner

First "bump" in the road with my 109

2K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  silentrider 
#1 ·
First of all I really dig this bike. The looks, styling, and power are awesome. It seems to just "slice" through the air. People on the street really like it and I am enjoying talking to them about it.
So, I take the bike in for the 600 mile service. The dealership is very nice and the environment there is family oriented. They perform the service job and I'm out the door for $150 which I feel is reasonable. The next day I decicde to check the oil (here we go). I do the 15 - 3 thing and the oil is halfway between the Low and Full. I decide to add a bit (about 100 ml). I let it idle for 10 minutes, rest 3 and check again. This time it is 3/4 of the way up to the Full. I add about 100ml more; let it idle for 5 minutes, rest 3 and check again. It is almost "spot on". I add about 20-30 ml and call it quits. A few hours later, I decide to check it again. I do the 15-3 thing and put it on the jack. This is the procedure I always do when checking oil. This time the oil barely is on the dipstick :eek: . I am very confused/frustrated. I try the procedure again this morning and the oil registers about 1/4 of the way up between the Low and Full.
I call the service manger who is a very nice guy. He tells me that he personally oversaw the job and not to worry about it as long as the oil is registering between the Low and Full. I go for a ride (about an hour). I let the bike rest for 3 minutes when I got home, put it up on the jack and checked the oil. It is now just a hair past the Full. I guess I am OK. This is frustrating. Any input/advice is appreciated. I hate to bring up the dreaded "oil issue" again. Thanks for reading :D

See less See more
#2 ·
When you come in from a Ride of more than 20 minutes stay on the bike holding it up right...Not on the Stand! "let the motor Idle for a Minute or two" then Shut it off,when you shut it off look at you Watch give it 3 minutes and Check it,You should Show the Correct oil reading Now!

The Next Morning Go out and Pull the Oil Stick With the Bike on Level ground front wheel locked,just like You park her!
When You First Pull the Stick Look at it it Should Be Right at the Top of the High Low! Wipe it off screw it back in all the way and Check it again to Confirm Your first reading,it should Show the Same as the first reading :bigthumbsup: this is How I been Doing Mine and It works great!

I always check my oil after a ride....It's Important I feel to let the Motor Idle For a Minute or two before Shutting it off....And Don't Be Playing with the Throttle While Your Sitting there ;) Let it Idle Stay in the Set!

And I ALWAYS use the Cold Oil check to make sure theres Oil in the Bike The Next day before the Ride,and I get the same Reading every time!

The Cold Oil Check Makes Since to ME!!! With the Oil stick screwed all the way in it should Show FULL,When You check it Hot you DON'T Screw it In.....The difference is the Oil Expanding due to the Heat IMHO

#3 ·
I personally do as Silentrider.....I have verified my oil levels following the manual to a "T" and I have verified my levels after a ride and lastly when cold. As long as I get the readings I expect to see under the conditions that I have checked I feel I'm good to go. If I were to get any off reading with either of the "non manual" checks I do the "manual check" to verify.....

Atleast once a week and prior to any major rides I follow the manual's checking procedure so I'm covered for any type of issue that could potentially pop up down the road for warranty issues.

#4 ·
silentrider said:
The Next Morning Go out and Pull the Oil Stick With the Bike on Level ground front wheel locked,just like You park her!
When You First Pull the Stick Look at it it Should Be Right at the Top of the High Low! Wipe it off screw it back in all the way and Check it again to Confirm Your first reading,it should Show the Same as the first reading :bigthumbsup: this is How I been Doing Mine and It works great!
Bikes been sitting for about 3 hours. I went out and checked the oil and with the bike on the sidestand, on level ground (garage), and the dipstick screwed all the way in the level is at the top of the Full reading. I am assuming that I am good. Any/all comments are welcome.

#5 ·
BobbyMac said:
First of all I really dig this bike.

Any input/advice is appreciated. I hate to bring up the dreaded "oil issue" again. Thanks for reading :D
Yeah Bobby, seems like reading the oil will always be more art than science. I just got the the US, and since arriving, for the last two weeks I've been checking mine each morning 15/3. I have to say it's not exactly the same each morning, but very close, once I got the filling level to the place I wanted.

I never check it following a ride. I think Medic pointed out pretty well that when the RPM's have been past an idle, the engine throws up more oil into the upper netherlands of the motor, and he opined that was the reason the levels would not be consistent when checking following rides. That makes good sense to me, and since checking only following a cold start and 15/3, it's been 'pretty' consistent, never exact.

Hope this helps

#6 ·
Jeff in Costa Rica said:
for the last two weeks I've been checking mine each morning 15/3.
Yer f'kn jokin...RIGHT ?? :eek: :eek:...thats on the edge of paranoid man ::) :D

I've checked mine twice in nearly a year...couldn't figure WTF was happenin....took it to
the dealer and got them to do it....so it's their f'kn prob :D :D (about 5000km)

But seriously I reckon the cold bike on the side stand method is pretty accurate IMHFO :bigthumbsup:

#8 ·
Apperantly, this is somewhat of an issue. I got my new m109 just yesterday! I absolutely love it! My dealer is about 30 miles from me, so it made for an awesome ride home. As soon as I got it home, and put it on the kickstand, oil started pouring out of the air filter! The dealer had overfilled the oil. Needless to say I was a little ticked off about it. I called my dealer, and he got ticked too, fired the guy. He picked my bike up and promises to make it right.....we'll see. Fortunatly, the head service guy is a m109 rider also, I feel like he'll take care of it.
Thanks for the info.

#9 ·
I sure that when you check to oil hot and cold checks if it shows in the middle up to the top of the hash Marks at those times you should be good once a week or after/during a long ride should cover you don't stress over it.

:bigthumbsup: enjoy

#10 ·
Kev and Jon:

I did that so when I added a small amount of oil, I'd see if it was at the correct level, the following day...

not extreme, given I don't want any blow by.

Now that it's at the correct level, I check it seldom...

Hope that helps ya - comprende?

#12 ·
Bikes been sitting for about 3 hours. I went out and checked the oil and with the bike on the sidestand, on level ground (garage), and the dipstick screwed all the way in the level is at the top of the Full reading. I am assuming that I am good. Any/all comments are welcome.
:bigthumbsup: Yep Sounds Like Your Dead On :bigthumbsup:

I think it's Important to let the Bike idle For a Minute for the Cold oil check to Be correct also,It has Something to do With the Oil circulating :dontknow: all I know is if i ride up in the yard and Shut it Down the Reading is not always correct,and it seems to effect the Cold check also :dontknow: But if I let the Bike idle for at least a minute then Shut it Down Both Hot and Cold Readings are Correct Every Time!!!

If I had to Run this Bike for 15 minutes Everytime i wanted to Check the Oil I'd Sale the Durn Thing :verymad:

I check My oil cold Check Every time i ride Why Not! I run Heavy Equipment and it is Standard Procedure,so it would be stupid to burn up My on Toy just because I didn't Check the Oil ::) I will Bet the Farm on the Cold Oil check In a Heart Beat :bigthumbsup: it Works!

Even Perry Agreed to This :eek: :D

#14 ·
I do the cold check on mine too, and it seems to be consistent. I do the 15-3 maybe once a month. Pull the dipstick out cold and it should be the same as the 15-3 check. If you wipe it off and just stick it back in, similar to the 15-3 method, it will register about halfway up the stick if it showed full on the 15-3.

#16 ·
albeâ„¢ said:
:dontknow:
We had a similar post going on Months ago and Perry Even agreed with the Cold oil Check ,He went out and Checked his and it was on FULL :bigthumbsup:

I was Just having Fun With it :D Perry had His on way of seeing things Like a lot of us I'm sure,Lack of control Got him Banned ::) Lamont Was Right in Doing so, But i still Miss his Crazy Responces :D :bigthumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.