Beware of Suzuki
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Beware of Suzuki

Very Active Member

Default Beware of Suzuki

My outlook on this company has changed. I'm struggling with it to not let my perception of my bike be affected, but it's tough. For those that don't know, I've been without my bike for nearly a month now. A couple of days ago, they finally figured out the ECU (the computer brain that runs the thing) failed. I was really happy just to know that they figured out the problem, and that I'd be able to ride soon. Then, I was notified by the dealer that Suzuki wouldn't cover replace it under warranty because I had a Power Commander on it. $1200 is my bill.

The dealer played like they were on my side, and supported that the aftermarket part wasn't the problem, to my face at least. They told me to call Suzuki coorperate.

I called Power Commander, to see if they could offer any assistance. They reassured me that there is protective circuitry that doesn't allow current flow in the reverse direction, and that it's impossible for it to affect the ECU, much less damage it. They are looking into it.

I tried to call Suzuki cooperate to hear it from their mouths, and see if I could convince them otherwise. Coorperate is protected by a customer support shield that will not let you talk to any of the techs that were involved, nor any of the management (I asked to speak to both). The CSR I spoke with told me that it was my dealers' opinion that the aftermarket part caused the defect...so, I get the run around. I informed her that they'll be contacted by JAG (our version of lawyers).

Evidently they called the dealer back to get all their ammo, then I recieve a call from a guy claiming to be the CSR manager, although he sounded just like a lawyer trying to scare me. He said that my aftermarket exhaust didn't have a catalytic converter, and therefore was illegal. He said that Suzuki will take no part in anything illegal that I was doing. He also claimed that since I had the SET actuator "wired up to the frame" (it was clamped to the frame, not "wired") that it could have caused the ECU to fail as well, besides just the power commander.

Both the dealer and Suzuki know that the Power Commander didn't cause the fault, but thier policy is that the customer is guilty until proven innocent because it's only about money to them.

I'll be taking this to court. The law (Magnusson-Moss Act) is in our favor. But, they want to make everyone go through hell first because it'll discourage most folks. It's unfortunate. This bike really meant a lot to me. I saved up for it while I was over in Iraq, and paid cash for it as a present to myself when I got back to celebrate makin it home. I put a lot of love into it, as anyone who's seen me with it can attest. It was the nicest thing I'd ever bought really. Then, to have Suzuki do this to me is like a slap in the face. The whole romance with the bike is dead now, as it just serves as yet another reminder to how immoral our business practices have become, and to how I gave money to them.

Anyways, I'm not posting this to rant, sorry. I'm posting this as a warning to anyone else out there that have modified their bikes in any way...

1.) If you modify your bike at all, including small mods like exhaust, intakes, and power commander...make sure that you do so only in a way that you can return the bike completely back to stock first.
    2.) If you've done any mods to your bike, return it to stock condition before returning it to the dealer, and keep your lip zipped

Current Mods: JR exhaust w/crank evac, Oak Paint, Thunder intakes, PC3, JSD, steel brakelines, hub plate, stealth LCD F & R turns, TrickFlasher, CA clear tailight w/modulator, PIAA HLight w/modulator, ISO grips/spikes/wings/shifter/thottleboss, Pro-1 mirrors, Corbin seat, chrome engine/shaft/swingarm covers

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Beware of Suzuki

Sorry to hear the bad news,however i"m confused.I know of two dealers that install cobra pipes on before their sold and one even installs pc3"s.My question is ,are they using this against you because they didnt install them ? :(

Very Active Member

That really sucks

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

blueovalforlife

Wow dude that sucks I'm really sorry to hear that. What's $1200 to suzuki? They are kicking ass right now, you'd think they'd help someone out that just bought their most expensive bike. If the dealer told you it didnt cause it, but the CSR did, I'd take note and have that documented (along with whatever Power Commander said) and have that documentation in court.

Very Active Member

I understand your dismay and plight, but I have to say all electronics can and do fail at times. Maybe the power commander did fail and allow current to damage the ECU. It sounds to me that you are wanting it to be Suzuki's fault when it may or may not be. If you cut to the bottom line, you are to blame you chose to install mods that could potentially cause damage and void the warranty. You also exhibit what is wrong with the world today sue, sue, sue. When we spill hot coffee in our lap we sue, McDonald's because of it. Take responsibility for your actions, remove the power commander, pay the 1200 to fix the ECU and fall in love with the 109 again.

Very Active Member **CENSORED**'s Avatar

Sounds to me like the dealer is at fault and blaming it on Suzuki. Buddy of mine was having a issue with a Kawi, had a PC on it. Kawi dealer (who is also a Suzi dealer also) told him to leave the PC on so they could trouble shoot with it on and off. Replaced ECU on Kawi's dime. I don't believe Suzi get's involved unless the dealer gets them involve. If MC warranty works the same way as other warranty work that I used to deal with, The repair is made by the "authorized repair center" and a claim is sent to the Manufacturer. The repair center gets paid a flat rate for labor plus parts. This means that the repair center can get paid more if YOU foot the bill. It's up to the repair center to determine if it's a warranty repair...Jason

This is exactly why I don't purchase extended warranties. I never keep my bikes stock and that's all it takes for a warranty claim to be denied. They do have a point though, a heavily modified bike changes the bikes whole dynamic. Who's to say what effect all the changes you've made DIDN'T cause the ECU to fail? They probably didn't but nobody really knows for sure so now you gotta go through all this hassle to try to PROVE your mods didn't cause the failure. No easy task, and I hate to say it but you'll probably lose this one bro. It sucks I know.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by bushhog
    Sorry to hear the bad news,however i"m confused.I know of two dealers that install cobra pipes on before their sold and one even installs pc3"s.My question is ,are they using this against you because they didnt install them ? :(
    no, he said he was a suzuki cooperate guy...they don't get money from cobra pipe sales at a dealer. he said it because it has the word "illegal" in it, and was trying to intimidate me into not filing a suit. i was just informed that this guy was in fact a lawyer. i've also learned that i screwed up and mentioned "lawyer" in my phone conversation. it's policy if they hear that word in a CSR conversation that the account is flagged and only dealt with henceforth from the legal department.

knight, you're welcome to your opinion...i don't share it. i'm not that type of person you describe, in fact i fight against that crap. i have enough money to pay the bill without being greatly affected. i care about time more than money, and it's going to cost me an enormous amount of time to deal with this, yet, i'll see it through.

jason, you are exactly right. the dealer could have made this happen without involving coorperate, but i'm learning that they are extremely weak and unintelligent.

black cherry, the magnusson-moss act is a federal law that states the burden is on the manufacturer to prove that an aftermarket part caused the failure, not the reverse (paying attention knight?)
    Current Mods: JR exhaust w/crank evac, Oak Paint, Thunder intakes, PC3, JSD, steel brakelines, hub plate, stealth LCD F & R turns, TrickFlasher, CA clear tailight w/modulator, PIAA HLight w/modulator, ISO grips/spikes/wings/shifter/thottleboss, Pro-1 mirrors, Corbin seat, chrome engine/shaft/swingarm covers

WOW.. i hope this works out in your favor.. what a mess..

Very Active Member

I believe it is a dealer issue. They can choose to find a way to help the customer, or find a way NOT TO help a customer. They chose the latter. They're not even gonna work on the out of pocket with you. Unfortunately, corporate legal is involved now.
    FYI, Part# 32920-48G10 Desc CONTROL UNIT,FI Price 887.52 if this is the part you're referring to.
    &quot;Does the name Pavlov ring a bell&quot;<br />&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.wunderground.com/US/FL/Eustis.html?bannertypeclick=gizmotimetempbig&quot; &gt;<br />&lt;img src=&quot;http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/gizmotimetempbig/language/www/US/FL/Eustis.gif&quot; border=0<br />alt=&quot;Click for Eustis, Florida Forecast&quot; height=50 width=150&gt;&lt;/a&gt;

Very Active Member

Also, just because the mother-in-law is a jerk, no reason to stop loving the wife. This is still an awesome bike!! Sorry the dealer is the jerk.
    &quot;Does the name Pavlov ring a bell&quot;<br />&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.wunderground.com/US/FL/Eustis.html?bannertypeclick=gizmotimetempbig&quot; &gt;<br />&lt;img src=&quot;http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/gizmotimetempbig/language/www/US/FL/Eustis.gif&quot; border=0<br />alt=&quot;Click for Eustis, Florida Forecast&quot; height=50 width=150&gt;&lt;/a&gt;

Very Active Member

As an employee of BMW...I can speak from experience...if someone was to teeter into the service dept with an
    issue...whether serious or not , if any mods were done and it's somehow connected to the problem...no
    coverage...point blank period ! If you had a suspension problem or ABS problem and you had your wheels chromed
    guess what....no coverege....that being said , if it is an factory ( AUTHORIZED ) part(s) and was installed at the dealer with verifiable proof ...in our instance "Dinan" then your ok ....warranty granted .
    Most of the aftermarket parts...are NOT factory authorized...some are but very few....and when you start ripping
    parts off and putting Joe Shmoes Power commanders in...you are at risk....taking off exhausts , catalitic conveters
    and such , you are doomed everytime...unless it's a small fix and the dealer can get around it for you.

The dealer is authorized to make repairs upto a certain dollar value...after that they must get authourization from the factory....and by them telling you it may or not have affected your brain...is pointless anyway , opinions don't count when thousands of dollars are at stake....they can tell you the sky is purple...but the factory (Suzuki) is gonna tell you it's blue.....period....end of story

About the only situation I see for help....is what they call "Good Will" you need to request a rep from Suzuki to look at your bike and YOU need to be there when he is there and you need to puppy dog him....they may do a little for you ...half , something....but I'm 80% sure your gonna kiss the baby...(bear some expense.)

Going to your command or threatening lawyers won't do anything but further fire you up , you put those parts on it
    not Zook ...your responsible ....I'm sypathetic to your situation but I see this everyday ...and the out come is the same.

As long as your bike is under warranty...you can request this , if you get that accomplished your bill may
    go down some...maybe not at all... but worth a try.

Sure Suzuki is a for profit company...as are the others...Do you think Harley Davidson would cover in this situation...I
    thinks a big NO !

Your feeling bummed now as anyone would...do what I perscribed and it may work for you , shouting and cussing
    will get you no where ...they make notes in thier computers.

Hope this helps !
    Good Luck
    Eaglefan forever !

I"m still confused, Suzuki dealers can install illegal cobra slashdowns which violates federal emissions laws and install pc3"s while still giving full warranties to the potential buyers absoluty makes no since to me,this calls for a beer maybe two.
    Quote Originally Posted by bushhog
    I say go for it,Suzuki is giving full warranties when they install these same illegal parts,so i dont fully agree with some of the statements mentioned above,sorry they cant have their cake and eat it too.

Very Active Member

the fact that they install the "illegal" pipes at certain dealers is a good point. thanks for the court tip.

come to think of it, i bet there are suzuki dealers that install power commanders too. if anyone knows of one specifically, please let me know.

it is "illegal" for them to void your warranty. The burden of proof is on them, not you. You will win the case unless they can show something

BTW- OT Phaed, do you post under that same name on a website called Digg, by any chance?

Guys C'mon now with the absurd idea of even defending Suzuki. So he modified his bike. We all do! And if you don't that is fine too. The aftermarket motorcycle industry is a Multi million dollar business. Anyone who knows how big business operates knows that a lot of the design features that go into a bike is with the thought of the customer having to buy an aftermarket part to improve the look or performance of their bike.Does anyone really believe that when Suzuki designed the 109 that they had no idea that they would be following up that new bike with a whole host of add on accessories. So are we to believe that Phased should just pay 1200 dollars and then fall in love all over again as suggested. I don't think that is even close to right. Let's be real here we can all tell stories of failures on this bike. We have gas leaks, anti freeze leaks and now swing arm failures. These are not minor issues. It is time for Suzuki to step up and accept responsibility for their product. I love my 109 just like the rest of the guys and gals on this site but do not be blinded by that love of your bike to ignore the obvious and that is that Suzuki took our hard earned money and then when the problems began to occur they sat back and ignored them. I only hope that as I have stated on another post that one of us don't get killed or seriously injured due to a catastrophic failure ( like a swingarm tube breaking). Instead of beating up on the guy for making mods to his bike that some here want to say may have caused the failure of his ECU really does not help any of us. Next time it could be any one of us who are told that it's not Suzuki's' fault but your fault so pay up. Will you be banging away at your keyboard then telling us that your more than happy to pay 1200 bucks to a company that you already paid 12,000 dollars to when you bought the bike. Only question I have here is, Is it so wrong to expect that when you pay 12,000 dollars for a product that the product perform up to acceptable reliable standards and if in fact that product fails to perform to those standards then shouldn't the manufacture of that product pay to either fix or replace that product. The answer is YES. As for legal action when we are so clearly being ripped off. I say that by all means you should sue! It is true that society today is a little to sue happy. But make no mistake about it sometimes you need to make a stand and make big corporations listen in the only way that they understand. They have attorneys on retainer for a reason. They are protecting their legal interest. So do we not have the same right? Wake up folks with all the nonsense about the down fall of our society over bringing a lawsuit. Sometime there is no other recourse. I think Phaed knows about honor and integrity from his service to our country which we should all be thankful to him for. Suzuki should learn a little something about those principals when dealing with the very people who buy their products. Treat us right and be fair. Keep up the fight Phaed and make Suzuki pay up as they should......Ray

Quote Originally Posted by phaed
    the fact that they install the "illegal" pipes at certain dealers is a good point. thanks for the court tip.

come to think of it, i bet there are suzuki dealers that install power commanders too. if anyone knows of one specifically, please let me know.
    you need to read my post again,they are installing pc"3s

HalGreenlee

I am sorry that you have a problem. I know from experience with another bike manufacturer that when the customer mentions the word "Lawyer" that they stop talking and you better be ready to pony up and hire a lawyer.

A lot of this stuff is because the manufacturers have gotten pushed into a box by our legal system. If they approve of the mods then they are condoning modifications that would make the bike unable to meet the laws that it was built under. So then the government comes after them.

When you buy a new bike you had better leave it 100% stock or be prepared to pay the piper if you have a problem. My bike is still under warranty but I know that I am kidding myself to think that Suzuki would fix anything on my bike under warranty. That was a decision I made when I started to modify it.

Now having said all of that what else can be done to solve this problem. I will be glad to pony up a few hundred dollars and start a fund to buy the brain at dealer cost. Anybody else willing to help? Its gonna be a lot easier than screwing around with lawyers and all othe other stuff that goes along with it.

HalGreenlee

If you want to get a real perspective on the governments hand in all of this then talk to some of the European bike owners that can not do anything to their bikes without risking big fines by the government. Thats probably where the USA will be in about 10 years. Riding our bikes undercover trying to hide the mods, dodging the speed cameras trying to avoid major tickets, its all coming.

count me in

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEFAN67
    If you had a suspension problem or ABS problem and you had your wheels chromed
    guess what....no coverege....
    How can they deny the warranty claim? Don't they, by law, have to prove the suspension or ABS problem was directly related to the chroming of the rims? I don't see how there would even be a connection there.
    Never do anything you wouldn't want to explain to the Paramedics

HalGreenlee

I just checked and I can get the brain for about $600. I'll put in $200 to start it. We just need Mr. Phaed's permission to do this before we start.

Parts found with Part Number: 32920-48G10
    Description CONTROL UNIT,FI
    Price $670.93

Very Active Member

no sir! thanks hal, but i can't let you do that. i have plenty of money, and really have a hard time accepting anything from others anyways. please don't mention anything more about that.

i have a pretty good idea what caused the problem. the bike performed fine with all the mods, so it wasn't damaged by ESD during an installation or anything. the bike's ECU eventually tripped into "failsafe" (a special mode that makes your bike run at minimal performance, just to get you to the dealer) mode because of the FI light and EXCVA error (left the SET actuator unplugged). i take it to the dealer, he clears the codes, but the bike stays in failsafe . the ECU is supposed to come out of failsafe when the error codes are removed from memory...it wouldn't, even though nothing was generating further codes.

i believe it's either a firmware bug, or, as another really smart guy here has suggested, heat damage from being located right at the rear cylinder (poor design). i am NOT the only guy that has had the exact same problem with the exact same solution happen. this isn't an isolated event.

not trying to toot my own horn, but i have a B.S. in Physics and am currently doing grad work in telecommunications systems engineering. i'm intimately familiar with electronics, computers, and their buses down to the physical layers. i know for a fact that it's impossible for the PC3 to have caused the problem I'm experiencing, or I wouldn't have bothered posting about this.

I wish U all the luck...all to often the red carpet gets put out for us to buy "their" product and when something goes wrong the blame falls squarely on our shoulders and they make us jump thru as many hoops as possible..hang in there and fight for what U know is right.
    250club/ De-beavered/Led turn signals/Flame Switchblades /Stebel Horn / Gipro ATRE/Gel seat/ soon to be lowered??

the bike's ECU eventually tripped into "failsafe" (a special mode that makes your bike run at minimal performance, just to get you to the dealer) mode because of the FI light and EXCVA error (left the SET actuator unplugged). i take it to the dealer, he clears the codes, but the bike stays in failsafe . the ECU is supposed to come out of failsafe when the error codes are removed from memory...it wouldn't, even though nothing was generating further codes.
    So are you saying the ECU failure was a result of your pipe mod where the SET actuator was left unplugged? If so, I don't see Suzuki covering the problem. Did I read into your comment wrong?
    Never do anything you wouldn't want to explain to the Paramedics

I was in Denver looking at bikes before i bought this one and a certain dealer had several outfitted with cobras and powercommanders new. If you want more details on this send me a PM and i can get you the dealership name.
    Formerly Chevyguy_72

HalGreenlee

Life is too short to be tilting at windmills. But good luck anyway.

I sure hate to see this... We have a Dynojet dyno in our showroom and do mods to tuning for these bikes. In your instance... I would love to see a dealer cover your loss but I would question first how the tech found a fried ECU. I would start to wonder if the unit had been shocked or something connected incorrectly. Many times I have seen "lost" Motorcycle Techs that are "schooled" fresh hook testing equipment up incorrectly and ruin equipment. Thanksfully we don't have such and our techs KNOW what they are working on. They also frequent the internet and see first-hand what our customers are experiencing... this hopefully keeps them on their toes and fresh.

How does this help you...? Probably nothing at all. What I will suggest and others have already said it... you get more bees with honey than _________. You might have a claim... the problem is while you are fighting for warranty coverage, your bike is sitting and you are not riding. You can pay for the part, document it all and try to fight for a return on your expenses. If you get something... great. If you don't... you probably were going to pay for it anyways.

In the end, the burden is that no one person is going to come forward and tell you HOW THE ECU got fried. Ever. Unless there is a smoking gun or a list of other owners having the SAME problem... you are all alone. The light at the tunnel here, is that you can say... of all the M109Rs out there in circulation with PCIII mods, NONE have had this failure. THEN also state if true... of all the M109Rs in circulation... how many have had ECU failures? This then shines the light on the TECH and NOT your MODS! Make HIM the responsible party not Suzuki or the Dealer... The dealer will point the finger at a tech before he ever admits its a warranty fault. They will fire him, give you a part and then you can sleep at night knowing they will replace him with another fresh MMI tech that will screw up the NEXT guy's bike.

<br />

I don't own my 9 yet-- looking at July-( turn 50 )-- but I agree with Hal-- mods-- no warranty-- I'll help !! and pony up for the card

Quote Originally Posted by Medic1210
    So are you saying the ECU failure was a result of your pipe mod where the SET actuator was left unplugged? If so, I don't see Suzuki covering the problem. Did I read into your comment wrong?
    That sounds like a direct link to the failure to me also,might be a hard one to beat,uncertain at this point but i dont have a degree in electronics either,but if i new i had done something to cause the failure i would take the blame for it 100%,you know more about the situation than i do ,so i hope this dosent offend you because i"m really on your side but uncertain.