How To: Lower the M109R (with pics) - Page 4
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 91 to 120 of 184

Thread: How To: Lower the M109R (with pics)

  1. #91
    Very Active Member Boudreaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Gonzales, La
    Posts
    1,296

    Default Re: How To: Lower the M109R (with pics)

    New owner, 2.75 bones in hand. If I missed it somewhere on this 4 page post I apologize. I am a step by step follower :read: and where I got lost is. Do I access both the right and the left side of bolts 1 and 2 from the left side, or do I have to pull stuff off of the pipe side. I am a welder not a mechanic. But I always heard the only stupid question is the one I don't ask!!! Thanks in advance for any and all help.
    Ride Sober Live Free!
    I am NOT GOING DOWN!!!!!!!

    Fast!!!

  2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #92
    Very Active Member Shock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Mansfield, Texas
    Posts
    1,694

    Default Re: How To: Lower the M109R (with pics)

    Quote Originally Posted by Boudreaux
    New owner, 2.75 bones in hand. If I missed it somewhere on this 4 page post I apologize. I am a step by step follower :read: and where I got lost is. Do I access both the right and the left side of bolts 1 and 2 from the left side, or do I have to pull stuff off of the pipe side. I am a welder not a mechanic. But I always heard the only stupid question is the one I don't ask!!! Thanks in advance for any and all help.
    You will need to get to both sides of the bolts. I did not take the exhaust off. It helps if you have a lift and also a jack of some sort to take the pressure off of the rear suspension.


  4. #93
    Very Active Member Delmustator's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Raleigh NC Area
    Posts
    2,624

    Default Re: How To: Lower the M109R (with pics)

    Quote Originally Posted by Boudreaux
    New owner, 2.75 bones in hand. If I missed it somewhere on this 4 page post I apologize. I am a step by step follower :read: and where I got lost is. Do I access both the right and the left side of bolts 1 and 2 from the left side, or do I have to pull stuff off of the pipe side. I am a welder not a mechanic. But I always heard the only stupid question is the one I don't ask!!! Thanks in advance for any and all help.
    Hi Kenny, You don't have to pull anything off on the pipe side. You have access to both sides of the bolts really from either side using closed end wrenches. I guess it just depends on if your right or left handed (i.e. which is your stronger hand). The nuts can be pretty tight. SO you may have to do the double wrench thing for more leverage. Just remember to loosen the NUT side rather than trying to turn the BOLT side. Just put a wrench on there to keep it from turning while you loosen the bolt.

    I know some folks posted that they removed the pipes so they could use an impact wrench. I have lowered several bikes and so far I didn't need to do that. For the most part, I only used wrenches on those. Just take your time and make sure the bike is secure on the lift or you have someone helping you.

    Hope this helps...
    -Del
    2006 VB M109R with a few MODs....

  5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #94
    Very Active Member Boudreaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Gonzales, La
    Posts
    1,296

    Default Re: How To: Lower the M109R (with pics)

    Thanks Delmustator!!! That helps. Thanks to you too Shock I do have a jack and a lift, And a wife too.LOL My Balancer. I got my bones and JSD-3m in today and will get this done asap. also waiting on my intergrated taillight. Will post pics when done. Thanks again you guys. Happy New year
    Ride Sober Live Free!
    I am NOT GOING DOWN!!!!!!!

    Fast!!!

  7. #95
    1bearsfan
    Guest

    Default Re: How To: Lower the M109R (with pics)

    Man that LE looks sweeeeet slammed I need to do this ASAP but I don't know if I want to bite the bullet and just get the air ride instead...

  8. #96
    Very Active Member Gramps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    small ranch/farm out in the country 10 miles north of Burlington N.C.
    Posts
    3,719

    Default Re: How To: Lower the M109R (with pics)

    Air ride systems are 10 times better.....but their 10 times more expensive too

  9. #97
    1bearsfan
    Guest

    Default Re: How To: Lower the M109R (with pics)

    Yeah I know Gramps...I want one sooooo bad, but I am sooooo broke

  10. #98
    Very Active Member Hustle Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Cheltenham, Md.
    Posts
    201

    Default Re: How To: Lower the M109R (with pics)

    I'm getting ready to do this this week. And I must say. This step by step instructions (with pictures) has taken all the fear out of it. Thanks so much for taking your time to do this for the rest of us. We have to stop some times and just say THANKS!
    Check Me Out On: Face Book @Lydell Hustleman-Fb Bishop Hagans

  11. #99
    Very Active Member Delmustator's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Raleigh NC Area
    Posts
    2,624

    Default Re: How To: Lower the M109R (with pics)

    Quote Originally Posted by Hustleman
    I'm getting ready to do this this week. And I must say. This step by step instructions (with pictures) has taken all the fear out of it. Thanks so much for taking your time to do this for the rest of us. We have to stop some times and just say THANKS!
    Your Welcome!

    Nice bike!
    -Del
    2006 VB M109R with a few MODs....

  12. #100
    WickedRican
    Guest

    Default Re: How To: Lower the M109R (with pics)

    Just did it to the LE 2 days ago... Instructions were a lot of help, but it would be worth it to mention in the original instructions that if you remove the exhaust it will make the install a lot easier...

  13. #101
    Very Active Member Delmustator's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Raleigh NC Area
    Posts
    2,624

    Default Re: How To: Lower the M109R (with pics)

    Quote Originally Posted by M109R Fan
    Just did it to the LE 2 days ago... Instructions were a lot of help, but it would be worth it to mention in the original instructions that if you remove the exhaust it will make the install a lot easier...
    I can't comment on that because I never saw a need to remove the exhaust.. I've lowered several M109Rs so far and it's pretty easy...
    -Del
    2006 VB M109R with a few MODs....

  14. #102
    Very Active Member Gramps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    small ranch/farm out in the country 10 miles north of Burlington N.C.
    Posts
    3,719

    Default Re: How To: Lower the M109R (with pics)

    It's easier to watch and drink beer

  15. #103
    Very Active Member M109RTOOGO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Markham Ont. Canada.
    Posts
    1,358

    Default Re: How To: Lower the M109R (with pics)

    It's easier to watch and drink Beers
    Markham Ontario Canada 2007 LE, PC111, GIpro blue, RC Pacific rims,10"/3.5" 300 Metz,Lowered 2.25,Chrome Derby Cover, debeavered,Raw Design LED signals,HID, EVO shift Kit,Chrome Dipstick with oil temp gauge, chrome master cover, Thunder Tornado Air & Raw Performance Shorty, Corbin seats, Chrome Chin Spoiler,Irate grill,Chrome Galfers,Stainless brake lines.....

  16. #104

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    114

    Default Re: How To: Lower the M109R (with pics)

    Well, first off this is my first post to the forums and would like to say welcome. I just purchased my 07 m109r (black) this past weekend and love it. I am in south florida and was wondering if there is anyone around that has done this and would like to help, i got the beer lol. Whats the best place to buy the bones at? also where do you guys get the tag relocators that go underneath the rear fender, i have search and found some but am wondering if everything sticks to a specific one?

    Thank guys

  17. #105
    Very Active Member Gramps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    small ranch/farm out in the country 10 miles north of Burlington N.C.
    Posts
    3,719

    Default Re: How To: Lower the M109R (with pics)

    & If you go to the top off this or any post and click on the target looking thing that says Direct Line Parts and then click on Suzuki 109 it will bring you to vast quantities of stuff

  18. #106

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    114

    Default Re: How To: Lower the M109R (with pics)

    Quote Originally Posted by Gramps
    & If you go to the top off this or any post and click on the target looking thing that says Direct Line Parts and then click on Suzuki 109 it will bring you to vast quantities of stuff
    THANKS!!!

  19. #107
    Very Active Member littleed1406's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Near Scranton, Pa
    Posts
    108

    Default Re: How To: Lower the M109R (with pics)

    First of all awesome how to. I think it gives people confidence to just go for it. I did mine a little different though. Since its still winter here in north east pa, I did several mods at once. Cobra dragsters, FI200R, Elite III tire, and 2.5 lowering bones. Since I had the rear wheel off I installed the bones that way. It gave great access to everything, and allowed for great leverage on breaker bars and wrenches. If I had to do it again I would pull the wheel off. It also made it easy to reconnect the shock to the bones, I just moved the swing arm by hand. (I supported the swing arm with a strap, before removing shock bolt) I also have a lever action jack which fits under the lowest bikes. Heres a link to a pic of the jack.


    http://www.machomanjack.com/products...rear-up-lg.gif

  20. #108

    Default Re: How To: Lower the M109R (with pics)

    G'day fellows ,Sak from Australia, need some advice= lookn at lowering the rear and ive got no idea on what level to drop the Bike and how to get these pictures of the way how to do it! Ive got plenty photos of 109s lowered but none tell me how low theyve droped them, so feel free Bro's to tell this old school motor Mech how to do it{lower the Bike that is]

  21. #109
    Very Active Member Delmustator's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Raleigh NC Area
    Posts
    2,624

    Default Re: How To: Lower the M109R (with pics)

    Quote Originally Posted by sak
    G'day fellows ,Sak from Australia, need some advice= lookn at lowering the rear and ive got no idea on what level to drop the Bike and how to get these pictures of the way how to do it! Ive got plenty photos of 109s lowered but none tell me how low theyve droped them, so feel free Bro's to tell this old school motor Mech how to do it{lower the Bike that is]
    Sak, I'd suggest 2.25" drop. Mine is 2.5" drop and I love it but some folks have had issues with drops of 2.5" or more.

    P.S. I'm 5'8" at 215lbs and I never bottom out and rarely scrap (except in the mountains).
    -Del
    2006 VB M109R with a few MODs....

  22. #110
    Very Active Member Local Boully's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    New York (Northern Territory)
    Posts
    1,497

    Default Re: How To: Lower the M109R (with pics)

    Quote Originally Posted by littleed1406
    First of all awesome how to. I think it gives people confidence to just go for it. I did mine a little different though. Since its still winter here in north east pa, I did several mods at once. Cobra dragsters, FI200R, Elite III tire, and 2.5 lowering bones. Since I had the rear wheel off I installed the bones that way. It gave great access to everything, and allowed for great leverage on breaker bars and wrenches. If I had to do it again I would pull the wheel off. It also made it easy to reconnect the shock to the bones, I just moved the swing arm by hand. (I supported the swing arm with a strap, before removing shock bolt) I also have a lever action jack which fits under the lowest bikes. Heres a link to a pic of the jack.


    http://www.machomanjack.com/products...rear-up-lg.gif
    I have to give a ditto to that! With the rear wheel off, it was so much easier to wrench on the bones!



  23. #111
    Very Active Member radside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Chesapeake, VA (Great Bridge)
    Posts
    315

    Default Re: How To: Lower the M109R (with pics)

    Guys, good posts all around. I just got 2.25 lowering bones and was following the directions but though I'm no real stranger to tools (1st time working on a bike though), I can't figure out how to remove the chrome piece that covers the shaft. I got it up on the jack. I removed two bolts but the chrome cover is still catching on the black trim that houses the seat lock. Do I need to remove that as well? Any help is appreciated.

    Rick
    Black 07, 2.25 inch bones, Kury Mirrors,Iso Grips, ISO Switchblade pegs, ISO Passenger Pegs, 2 inch riser extensions, Garmin 200W GPS, Brakeaway Throttle Lock, Rifle Windshield, Debaffled Stock exhaust, Debeavered, Barons License Plate Kit, Corbin Pass Seat Backrest, JSD-3M, Stebel Horn, Suzuki engine guard bars, Elite III 250 &130, Bluegauges speedo/tach mod (blue), LE clear turn signals, backoff brake module.

  24. #112
    Very Active Member Delmustator's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Raleigh NC Area
    Posts
    2,624

    Default Re: How To: Lower the M109R (with pics)

    Quote Originally Posted by radside
    Guys, good posts all around. I just got 2.25 lowering bones and was following the directions but though I'm no real stranger to tools (1st time working on a bike though), I can't figure out how to remove the chrome piece that covers the shaft. I got it up on the jack. I removed two bolts but the chrome cover is still catching on the black trim that houses the seat lock. Do I need to remove that as well? Any help is appreciated.

    Rick
    OK, you've gone further than you ever should. All you need to remove is the black plastic side piece to get to the lowering bolts. The lowering bones are close to the rear tire. I'm not really sure what chrome your talking about..

    -Del
    2006 VB M109R with a few MODs....

  25. #113
    Very Active Member radside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Chesapeake, VA (Great Bridge)
    Posts
    315

    Default Re: How To: Lower the M109R (with pics)

    Thanks... I give that a shot. I thought that I'd read that the chrome piece must be removed as well but if not, makes the install a little easier. Thanks...this forums rocks.
    Black 07, 2.25 inch bones, Kury Mirrors,Iso Grips, ISO Switchblade pegs, ISO Passenger Pegs, 2 inch riser extensions, Garmin 200W GPS, Brakeaway Throttle Lock, Rifle Windshield, Debaffled Stock exhaust, Debeavered, Barons License Plate Kit, Corbin Pass Seat Backrest, JSD-3M, Stebel Horn, Suzuki engine guard bars, Elite III 250 &130, Bluegauges speedo/tach mod (blue), LE clear turn signals, backoff brake module.

  26. #114
    Very Active Member AR M109's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Little Rock, AR
    Posts
    105

    Default Re: How To: Lower the M109R (with pics)

    Put the 2.25 bones on, took 1 1/2 hrs. Thanks for all the info.

  27. #115
    Very Active Member radside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Chesapeake, VA (Great Bridge)
    Posts
    315

    Default Re: How To: Lower the M109R (with pics)

    Whew...just finished installing the 2.25 lowering bones. Thanks for all the excellent posts...couldn't have done it without the help from this board.
    Black 07, 2.25 inch bones, Kury Mirrors,Iso Grips, ISO Switchblade pegs, ISO Passenger Pegs, 2 inch riser extensions, Garmin 200W GPS, Brakeaway Throttle Lock, Rifle Windshield, Debaffled Stock exhaust, Debeavered, Barons License Plate Kit, Corbin Pass Seat Backrest, JSD-3M, Stebel Horn, Suzuki engine guard bars, Elite III 250 &130, Bluegauges speedo/tach mod (blue), LE clear turn signals, backoff brake module.

  28. #116
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Market, MD
    Posts
    193

    Default Re: How To: Lower the M109R (with pics)

    Maybe I missed it in the 6 pages here but after you lower the bike in the rear do you have to drop the triple tree to keep the bike *level*?

    I know that when I lowered my Gixxer, not only did i have to change out the dog bone but I had to lower the tree (raise the forks) as well. Just wondering if it really matters on this size of a bike.

  29. #117
    Very Active Member Delmustator's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Raleigh NC Area
    Posts
    2,624

    Default Re: How To: Lower the M109R (with pics)

    Quote Originally Posted by Devskal
    Maybe I missed it in the 6 pages here but after you lower the bike in the rear do you have to drop the triple tree to keep the bike *level*?

    I know that when I lowered my Gixxer, not only did i have to change out the dog bone but I had to lower the tree (raise the forks) as well. Just wondering if it really matters on this size of a bike.
    Nope..

    I think a couple of folks have lowered the triple tree but it's not required. The bike sits nice and flat..
    -Del
    2006 VB M109R with a few MODs....

  30. #118
    Very Active Member Anders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    206

    Default Re: How To: Lower the M109R (with pics)

    Quote Originally Posted by Devskal
    Maybe I missed it in the 6 pages here but after you lower the bike in the rear do you have to drop the triple tree to keep the bike *level*?

    I know that when I lowered my Gixxer, not only did i have to change out the dog bone but I had to lower the tree (raise the forks) as well. Just wondering if it really matters on this size of a bike.
    The only reason for lowering your trees, would be if you felt a difference in steering, like it was getting looser. You do alter the trail a bit by lowering the back, but with only 2.5" I would say it shouldn´t matter much to the handling of the bike. It does physically, but I think it will only be felt psychically.


    --

    For full view of the bike, goto http://www.winthers.org/service/1800_m/index.htm

  31. #119
    Active Member IOLSTUDIOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Albuquerque
    Posts
    34

    Default Re: How To: Lower the M109R (with pics)

    About to lower my new 9 with the 2.75 bones but I had to take it in for the 600 mile oil change cost around $188.00 not bad I guess. I asked what the cost would be to lower it, $125.00 for them to do it but they told me I would have to replace my kickstand as well.... is this true? Thanks for all the help this site has given and no a friend and I will be doing the lowering, need to save the money for everything else I want.

  32. #120
    Very Active Member HONDO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    329

    Default Re: How To: Lower the M109R (with pics)

    did not do it on mine

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
-->