How To: Lower the M109R (with pics) - Page 4
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: How To: Lower the M109R (with pics)

Default Re: How To: Lower the M109R (with pics)

New owner, 2.75 bones in hand. If I missed it somewhere on this 4 page post I apologize. I am a step by step follower :read: and where I got lost is. Do I access both the right and the left side of bolts 1 and 2 from the left side, or do I have to pull stuff off of the pipe side. I am a welder not a mechanic. But I always heard the only stupid question is the one I don't ask!!! Thanks in advance for any and all help.
    Ride Sober Live Free!
    I am NOT GOING DOWN!!!!!!!

Fast!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Boudreaux
    New owner, 2.75 bones in hand. If I missed it somewhere on this 4 page post I apologize. I am a step by step follower :read: and where I got lost is. Do I access both the right and the left side of bolts 1 and 2 from the left side, or do I have to pull stuff off of the pipe side. I am a welder not a mechanic. But I always heard the only stupid question is the one I don't ask!!! Thanks in advance for any and all help.
    You will need to get to both sides of the bolts. I did not take the exhaust off. It helps if you have a lift and also a jack of some sort to take the pressure off of the rear suspension.

Quote Originally Posted by Boudreaux
    Hi Kenny, You don't have to pull anything off on the pipe side. You have access to both sides of the bolts really from either side using closed end wrenches. I guess it just depends on if your right or left handed (i.e. which is your stronger hand). The nuts can be pretty tight. SO you may have to do the double wrench thing for more leverage. Just remember to loosen the NUT side rather than trying to turn the BOLT side. Just put a wrench on there to keep it from turning while you loosen the bolt.

I know some folks posted that they removed the pipes so they could use an impact wrench. I have lowered several bikes and so far I didn't need to do that. For the most part, I only used wrenches on those. Just take your time and make sure the bike is secure on the lift or you have someone helping you.

Hope this helps...
    -Del
    2006 VB M109R with a few MODs....

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Thanks Delmustator!!! That helps. Thanks to you too Shock I do have a jack and a lift, And a wife too.LOL My Balancer. I got my bones and JSD-3m in today and will get this done asap. also waiting on my intergrated taillight. Will post pics when done. Thanks again you guys. Happy New year
    Ride Sober Live Free!
    I am NOT GOING DOWN!!!!!!!

Fast!!!

1bearsfan

Man that LE looks sweeeeet slammed I need to do this ASAP but I don't know if I want to bite the bullet and just get the air ride instead...

small ranch/farm out in the country 10 miles north of Burlington N.C.

Air ride systems are 10 times better.....but their 10 times more expensive too

1bearsfan

Yeah I know Gramps...I want one sooooo bad, but I am sooooo broke

I'm getting ready to do this this week. And I must say. This step by step instructions (with pictures) has taken all the fear out of it. Thanks so much for taking your time to do this for the rest of us. We have to stop some times and just say THANKS!
    Check Me Out On: Face Book @Lydell Hustleman-Fb Bishop Hagans

Quote Originally Posted by Hustleman
    I'm getting ready to do this this week. And I must say. This step by step instructions (with pictures) has taken all the fear out of it. Thanks so much for taking your time to do this for the rest of us. We have to stop some times and just say THANKS!
    Your Welcome!

Nice bike!
    -Del

WickedRican

Just did it to the LE 2 days ago... Instructions were a lot of help, but it would be worth it to mention in the original instructions that if you remove the exhaust it will make the install a lot easier...

Quote Originally Posted by M109R Fan
    Just did it to the LE 2 days ago... Instructions were a lot of help, but it would be worth it to mention in the original instructions that if you remove the exhaust it will make the install a lot easier...
    I can't comment on that because I never saw a need to remove the exhaust.. I've lowered several M109Rs so far and it's pretty easy...
    -Del

It's easier to watch and drink beer

It's easier to watch and drink Beers
    Markham Ontario Canada 2007 LE, PC111, GIpro blue, RC Pacific rims,10"/3.5" 300 Metz,Lowered 2.25,Chrome Derby Cover, debeavered,Raw Design LED signals,HID, EVO shift Kit,Chrome Dipstick with oil temp gauge, chrome master cover, Thunder Tornado Air & Raw Performance Shorty, Corbin seats, Chrome Chin Spoiler,Irate grill,Chrome Galfers,Stainless brake lines.....

Well, first off this is my first post to the forums and would like to say welcome. I just purchased my 07 m109r (black) this past weekend and love it. I am in south florida and was wondering if there is anyone around that has done this and would like to help, i got the beer lol. Whats the best place to buy the bones at? also where do you guys get the tag relocators that go underneath the rear fender, i have search and found some but am wondering if everything sticks to a specific one?

Thank guys

& If you go to the top off this or any post and click on the target looking thing that says Direct Line Parts and then click on Suzuki 109 it will bring you to vast quantities of stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Gramps
    & If you go to the top off this or any post and click on the target looking thing that says Direct Line Parts and then click on Suzuki 109 it will bring you to vast quantities of stuff
    THANKS!!!

Very Active Member littleed1406's Avatar

First of all awesome how to. I think it gives people confidence to just go for it. I did mine a little different though. Since its still winter here in north east pa, I did several mods at once. Cobra dragsters, FI200R, Elite III tire, and 2.5 lowering bones. Since I had the rear wheel off I installed the bones that way. It gave great access to everything, and allowed for great leverage on breaker bars and wrenches. If I had to do it again I would pull the wheel off. It also made it easy to reconnect the shock to the bones, I just moved the swing arm by hand. (I supported the swing arm with a strap, before removing shock bolt) I also have a lever action jack which fits under the lowest bikes. Heres a link to a pic of the jack.

http://www.machomanjack.com/products...rear-up-lg.gif

G'day fellows ,Sak from Australia, need some advice= lookn at lowering the rear and ive got no idea on what level to drop the Bike and how to get these pictures of the way how to do it! Ive got plenty photos of 109s lowered but none tell me how low theyve droped them, so feel free Bro's to tell this old school motor Mech how to do it{lower the Bike that is]

Quote Originally Posted by sak
    G'day fellows ,Sak from Australia, need some advice= lookn at lowering the rear and ive got no idea on what level to drop the Bike and how to get these pictures of the way how to do it! Ive got plenty photos of 109s lowered but none tell me how low theyve droped them, so feel free Bro's to tell this old school motor Mech how to do it{lower the Bike that is]
    Sak, I'd suggest 2.25" drop. Mine is 2.5" drop and I love it but some folks have had issues with drops of 2.5" or more.

P.S. I'm 5'8" at 215lbs and I never bottom out and rarely scrap (except in the mountains).
    -Del

Very Active Member Local Boully's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by littleed1406
    First of all awesome how to. I think it gives people confidence to just go for it. I did mine a little different though. Since its still winter here in north east pa, I did several mods at once. Cobra dragsters, FI200R, Elite III tire, and 2.5 lowering bones. Since I had the rear wheel off I installed the bones that way. It gave great access to everything, and allowed for great leverage on breaker bars and wrenches. If I had to do it again I would pull the wheel off. It also made it easy to reconnect the shock to the bones, I just moved the swing arm by hand. (I supported the swing arm with a strap, before removing shock bolt) I also have a lever action jack which fits under the lowest bikes. Heres a link to a pic of the jack.

http://www.machomanjack.com/products...rear-up-lg.gif
    I have to give a ditto to that! With the rear wheel off, it was so much easier to wrench on the bones!

Guys, good posts all around. I just got 2.25 lowering bones and was following the directions but though I'm no real stranger to tools (1st time working on a bike though), I can't figure out how to remove the chrome piece that covers the shaft. I got it up on the jack. I removed two bolts but the chrome cover is still catching on the black trim that houses the seat lock. Do I need to remove that as well? Any help is appreciated.

Rick
    Black 07, 2.25 inch bones, Kury Mirrors,Iso Grips, ISO Switchblade pegs, ISO Passenger Pegs, 2 inch riser extensions, Garmin 200W GPS, Brakeaway Throttle Lock, Rifle Windshield, Debaffled Stock exhaust, Debeavered, Barons License Plate Kit, Corbin Pass Seat Backrest, JSD-3M, Stebel Horn, Suzuki engine guard bars, Elite III 250 &130, Bluegauges speedo/tach mod (blue), LE clear turn signals, backoff brake module.

Quote Originally Posted by radside
    Guys, good posts all around. I just got 2.25 lowering bones and was following the directions but though I'm no real stranger to tools (1st time working on a bike though), I can't figure out how to remove the chrome piece that covers the shaft. I got it up on the jack. I removed two bolts but the chrome cover is still catching on the black trim that houses the seat lock. Do I need to remove that as well? Any help is appreciated.

Rick
    OK, you've gone further than you ever should. All you need to remove is the black plastic side piece to get to the lowering bolts. The lowering bones are close to the rear tire. I'm not really sure what chrome your talking about..

-Del

Thanks... I give that a shot. I thought that I'd read that the chrome piece must be removed as well but if not, makes the install a little easier. Thanks...this forums rocks.
    Black 07, 2.25 inch bones, Kury Mirrors,Iso Grips, ISO Switchblade pegs, ISO Passenger Pegs, 2 inch riser extensions, Garmin 200W GPS, Brakeaway Throttle Lock, Rifle Windshield, Debaffled Stock exhaust, Debeavered, Barons License Plate Kit, Corbin Pass Seat Backrest, JSD-3M, Stebel Horn, Suzuki engine guard bars, Elite III 250 &130, Bluegauges speedo/tach mod (blue), LE clear turn signals, backoff brake module.

Put the 2.25 bones on, took 1 1/2 hrs. Thanks for all the info.

Whew...just finished installing the 2.25 lowering bones. Thanks for all the excellent posts...couldn't have done it without the help from this board.

Very Active Member

Maybe I missed it in the 6 pages here but after you lower the bike in the rear do you have to drop the triple tree to keep the bike *level*?

I know that when I lowered my Gixxer, not only did i have to change out the dog bone but I had to lower the tree (raise the forks) as well. Just wondering if it really matters on this size of a bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Devskal
    Maybe I missed it in the 6 pages here but after you lower the bike in the rear do you have to drop the triple tree to keep the bike *level*?

I know that when I lowered my Gixxer, not only did i have to change out the dog bone but I had to lower the tree (raise the forks) as well. Just wondering if it really matters on this size of a bike.
    Nope..

I think a couple of folks have lowered the triple tree but it's not required. The bike sits nice and flat..
    -Del

Quote Originally Posted by Devskal

The only reason for lowering your trees, would be if you felt a difference in steering, like it was getting looser. You do alter the trail a bit by lowering the back, but with only 2.5" I would say it shouldn´t matter much to the handling of the bike. It does physically, but I think it will only be felt psychically.

--

For full view of the bike, goto http://www.winthers.org/service/1800_m/index.htm

About to lower my new 9 with the 2.75 bones but I had to take it in for the 600 mile oil change cost around $188.00 not bad I guess. I asked what the cost would be to lower it, $125.00 for them to do it but they told me I would have to replace my kickstand as well.... is this true? Thanks for all the help this site has given and no a friend and I will be doing the lowering, need to save the money for everything else I want.

did not do it on mine