M109 Rider Forums banner

A Rookie Changes Spark Plugs (not dial-up friendly)

50K views 67 replies 55 participants last post by  sssportsmfg 
#1 ·
I'm no mechanic... and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night... but I decided I didn't want to pay someone to do this for me so I drug the toolbox out, dusted it off and went at it. This isn't meant to be a "How-To", really... just a few pics that might help someone out if they decide to try it. I don't have a manual yet, so it was "hunt and peck" for the plugs and how to get to them. BTW... you do not have to remove the air box to do this :2cool: Just remove the gas tank, both filter housings, the right-front and left-rear chrome covers on the heads, the two pieces of plastic that wrap around the gooseneck (?) and go for it. The owner's manual that gathers dust under the seat recommends gapping the plugs between .024 and .028 (I gapped mine at .025)

The center spark plug on the rear (closest to the seat) cylinder is the easiest:

The outer spark plug on the rear cylinder is behind the left-side chrome cover:

You can get the right-front chrome cover off WITHOUT unbolting the rear brake reservior from the frame... try a few angles and it'll come off.
The center spark plug on the front cylinder is a little harder to get to. Good thing my Dad gave me most of his tools a while back:

The swivel adapter he bestowed on me came in very handy today. Thanks Pop :D

You can get the center spark plug out even if your socket won't hang on to it after it's loose. Look just behind the outer spark plug and there's access to it:

Both outer plugs are easy to get to with a socket extension:

I found another place where coolant was leaking, too :verymad: I'll post it seperately with pics.

See less See more
#5 ·
thanks for the tutorial. i'll be doin this in a couple of weeks after i move. i gotta get me one of those swivel adapters...that thing looks very handy.

#43 ·
Cheaper plugs on Amazon

Then why did I buy two????
Â* My vast motorcyle mechanical training and background, I guess!!
and I paid ten bucks apiece for them at the dealer
...I bet a better price could have been found somewhere like direct line, our sponsor here, for 7.45 each!
I subscribe to Amazon Prime because we buy so much stuff. Prime membership gives you free shopping on about 90% of the stuff you buy. Anyway, the M109 uses the same plugs as my Suzuki B-King GSX-1300 (Hayabusa for old guys). I think I paid lie 5.75 per plug.

cheers
pat price

G
#9 ·
hey i was wondering am going to do my 4k service and am going to have to check my spark plugs anyways i was wondering if u know what the owners manual means by tighting up the chassis bolts or something like that? just wondering if u knew?

#13 ·
rockingM109 said:
This link sends you to buy the plug they recommend to correct the situation if the standard plug becomes too wet. the link for the standard plug which I have never noticed as a problem, the link to the same site but with the standard plug is,

http://www.sparkplugs.com/results_cross.asp?pid=cr8ek&x=0&y=0
This second link is for the recommended plug to use if your standard plug is apt to overheat.
http://www.sparkplugs.com/results_cross.asp?pid=cr9ek&x=0&y=0

#15 · (Edited)
Hey I learned something too. I never knew that chrome piece that covers the spark plug can come off, so now I'm going to paint it!

#19 ·
This is a good thread with pics for anyone going to change their spark plugs for the first time like I did last night. I have 9000 miles on the bike and the manual says changes the plugs after 7,500 miles.

My plugs didn't look bad at all really. They were a little white so I guess I could have went with the cooler running NGK CR9EK's but I stuck with the Standard CR8EK's. But I'm not running too rich which is good.

3 of the 4 plugs are very easy to get to and it's no big deal. The fourth plug (the one closest to the forks) is a bugger however. Just not much room to navigate in there (see attached pic). You definitely need two extensions (one short & one long) as well as a swivel to get it loosened & retightened.

#22 ·
This is a good thread with pics for anyone going to change their spark plugs for the first time like I did last night. I have 9000 miles on the bike and the manual says changes the plugs after 7,500 miles.

My plugs didn't look bad at all really. They were a little white so I guess I could have went with the cooler running NGK CR9EK's but I stuck with the Standard CR8EK's. But I'm not running too rich which is good.

3 of the 4 plugs are very easy to get to and it's no big deal. The fourth plug (the one closest to the forks) is a bugger however. Just not much room to navigate in there (see attached pic). You definitely need two extensions (one short & one long) as well as a swivel to get it loosened & retightened.
I used 2 swivels and it came right out. No binding at all.Just to check them and get the feel for what it entails. Plugs were fine 10,000 miles

#20 ·
I do not know why you would have to change plugs every 7500 miles, I checked mine and they look good so they stay, I have 18000, my plan is to change around 25000 unless there is a problem. But as good as these look I don't expect there to be any issues.

#25 ·
LMAO

I missed those , dang, LOL

#30 ·
The tutorial helped a lot, especially the pictures. Don't let the stealer talk you into buying a spark plug remover, one of the tin ones made for NGK plugs, they will not work in our case. I ended up adding to my tool arsenal a swivel joint, 6 inch extension, and 12 inch extension, that along with my 3 inch extension and using a combination of each of them for each different plug got them out pretty quick. Also, the right side cover does come out with some jiggling (Careful not to scratch it, put some thick tape on it). Did notice a response difference with the new plugs.

#32 ·
For what little new set of plugs cost it's better to be safe than sorry. JMHO ^-^

#34 ·
I just finish installing my plugs and took me 45 min to get them done. Did not need a swivel just a couple extensions(1 long,1 short) also I didn't remove the filter housing. Got the NGK iridium#cr8eix from www.apwonline.com for $29.28 and that include shipping. Next mod it's going to be my motor mounts, will follow BobbyMac "How To". Thanks everybody who post "How To" on this forum you guys rock and saving me some money.

Vic

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.