A Rookie Changes Spark Plugs (not dial-up friendly) - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A Rookie Changes Spark Plugs (not dial-up friendly)

chrome

I just changed mine at 11,000 km (7000miles).
    The old plugs to be honest were showing no signs of wear.
    I'm not sure why the need to change them so early

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

For what little new set of plugs cost it's better to be safe than sorry. JMHO
    2006 Black: Cycle House Big Air Kit, debaffled stock exhaust, Cobra Fi2000r, GIpro, Stebel Horn, Full Cut Gel Seat, Dyna Beads, Amsoil Synthetic, Vstream Touring light tint, Big Brass Bawlz

Quote Originally Posted by BlkM109r View Post
    there are 4 more plugs on the bottom of the motor, make sure you get those too
    Son of a ............

K&N Filters, Debeavered, gutted stock pipes, Lowered 2.25". Suzuki Engine Guards, Suzuki Backrest, Irate Mesh Grill, Stebel Air Horn, Back Off Flashers, Polished Wheels, 250mm Rear, Kuryakyn foot pegs and shifter cover, Duck's Covers, ISO Grips

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

I just finish installing my plugs and took me 45 min to get them done. Did not need a swivel just a couple extensions(1 long,1 short) also I didn't remove the filter housing. Got the NGK iridium#cr8eix from www.apwonline.com for $29.28 and that include shipping. Next mod it's going to be my motor mounts, will follow BobbyMac "How To". Thanks everybody who post "How To" on this forum you guys rock and saving me some money.

Vic

Very Active Member

reminder to do em, overdue....
    Live your own life....... everyone else has one!

'07 Red with a "Natural Mystic Blowing Through The Air........."

Just did mine today for the first time, 11K miles. I also checked my valve clearance, after 11K miles my clearance was perfect.

Call me crazy but I was able to get the front fork plug out with a sparkplug socket, a short adapter and right onto my ratchet. No swivels or anything else needed

Default Holiday Inn Mech.

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble_Is View Post
    I'm no mechanic... and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night... but I decided I didn't want to pay someone to do this for me so I drug the toolbox out, dusted it off and went at it. This isn't meant to be a "How-To", really... just a few pics that might help someone out if they decide to try it. I don't have a manual yet, so it was "hunt and peck" for the plugs and how to get to them. BTW... you do not have to remove the air box to do this Just remove the gas tank, both filter housings, the right-front and left-rear chrome covers on the heads, the two pieces of plastic that wrap around the gooseneck (?) and go for it. The owner's manual that gathers dust under the seat recommends gapping the plugs between .024 and .028 (I gapped mine at .025)

The center spark plug on the rear (closest to the seat) cylinder is the easiest:

The outer spark plug on the rear cylinder is behind the left-side chrome cover:

You can get the right-front chrome cover off WITHOUT unbolting the rear brake reservior from the frame... try a few angles and it'll come off.
    The center spark plug on the front cylinder is a little harder to get to. Good thing my Dad gave me most of his tools a while back:

The swivel adapter he bestowed on me came in very handy today. Thanks Pop

You can get the center spark plug out even if your socket won't hang on to it after it's loose. Look just behind the outer spark plug and there's access to it:

Both outer plugs are easy to get to with a socket extension:

I found another place where coolant was leaking, too I'll post it seperately with pics.

I've got 19,000 miles on the factory spark plugs, so far. No problems, no misfires, nothing. Still runs like when I bought it in 06.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

Very Active Member DEADLYCHEEZE's Avatar

This is a great write up and helped out tremendously. Just so you know I had my plugs changed @ a shop around 6,500 miles and I changed them today @ just a hair over 20,000 miles and they still didn't look too bad but I figured since it was already apart why not. Here's the old plugs.

Not sure if you guys have seen it but last time I changed mine out - plastic sleaves at the end of plug caps came apart into a bunch of small pieces and dust. Plastic just disintegrated (heat? mileage thing?) so I cleaned these and blew the dust out along with other crap priory to plug removal.
    Put it back together - bike runs good as always.
    08 Black M109R
    JSD-3M, Shift Kit EVO-S93, Heavy Duty Clutch + Springs, drilled exhaust, OEM Crash Gaurds
    6K HID, Stebel Air Horn, De-Beavered, De-Badged

Here's mine at 9,400 miles...I'm over 7,000 on the second set and not worried about changing them. I should add that they were sandblasted in this photo...still look good.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (2).jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	90340

Klock Werks Flare windshield...Baker Hand Wings...Grip Puppies...passenger pegs removed.
    Rivco anodized highway pegs...12V/USB outlet...Superbrite LED flashing brake lamps.

Red face Cheaper plugs on Amazon

Quote Originally Posted by Hawaiian9'r View Post
    Then why did I buy two?Â* My vast motorcyle mechanical training and background, I guess!! and I paid ten bucks apiece for them at the dealer...I bet a better price could have been found somewhere like direct line, our sponsor here, for 7.45 each!
    I subscribe to Amazon Prime because we buy so much stuff. Prime membership gives you free shopping on about 90% of the stuff you buy. Anyway, the M109 uses the same plugs as my Suzuki B-King GSX-1300 (Hayabusa for old guys). I think I paid lie 5.75 per plug.

cheers
    pat price

Quote Originally Posted by Red Guy View Post
    I subscribe to Amazon Prime because we buy so much stuff. Prime membership gives you free shopping on about 90% of the stuff you buy. Anyway, the M109 uses the same plugs as my Suzuki B-King GSX-1300 (Hayabusa for old guys). I think I paid lie 5.75 per plug.

cheers
    pat price
    thanks for the right up that is helpfull

Thanks plugs won't be hard to change now with this info

Which gap tool do you guys use?

coin type or the gap gauge? Coin looks quick and easy, but I don't see a notch where you can bend it if the gap is too big.

Very Active Member

I use a regular gap gauge, the type that has the pins on it and another piece that you can use to bend the arm if needed.

But I've put in 3 sets of these and never had to change the gap, they were correct already. I just checked them to make sure.

Quote Originally Posted by mantis32 View Post
    Which gap tool do you guys use?

coin type or the gap gauge? Coin looks quick and easy, but I don't see a notch where you can bend it if the gap is too big.
    Coin if you using standard plugs.

Gap gauge if iridium plugs because the tips of the plugs can break pretty easy.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Very Active Member

Default replacing spark plugs

QUESTION?

To replace 4 spark plugs does one need to remove gas tank first, to make access to, or not?
    Can you work around and below gas tank and still replace 4 spark plugs.
    I know some plastic has to come off for sure.
    what are stock type of plugs I should use. I guess I am staying with the same temperature of plugs as it works ok with my bike.

please send me your suggestions and wisdom!

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bocare View Post
    QUESTION?

To replace 4 spark plugs does one need to remove gas tank first, to make access to, or not?
    Can you work around and below gas tank and still replace 4 spark plugs.
    I know some plastic has to come off for sure.
    what are stock type of plugs I should use. I guess I am staying with the same temperature of plugs as it works ok with my bike.

please send me your suggestions and wisdom!

thanks
    Tanks has to come off. There is a plug in the rear cyl right in the middle. There is also another on in the middle of the front cyl as well. Youll need some extensions and universal joints to get at it.

I remove the following.
    2 side covers
    Tank
    Upper radiato shroud and lean it forward a bit.
    Hope this helps.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by M109Dreamer; 04-22-2014 at 05:13 PM.

I thought they had four, but I never could find the other two, so I didn't change them. I guess I'll change them tomorrow.
    2008 Suzuki Boulevard C109RT: HardKrome Velocity Pro Lites 2-1 Exhaust, Tank Bib, GMan TRE,Gman Bully controller, Speedo Visor, Everything Debadged, Front fender bra, Stock risers with GMan risers, Large ISO highway pegs with floorboard mounts and coming soon front, rear fender mud flap and lots of chrome accessories. Almost forgot Cobra 1 1/2 engine bars and Cobra driving light bar. Dual exhaust coming soon.

Can anyone confirm if the NGK Iridium part number CR8EIX is correct please?

Quote Originally Posted by Sixes350 View Post
    Can anyone confirm if the NGK Iridium part number CR8EIX is correct please?
    Those are the correct ones for stock replacement and heat range.

Some run a cooler plug, which are the 9's.
    Last edited by M109Dreamer; 07-27-2014 at 12:31 AM.

Default Do all M109R have 4 plugs?

Quote Originally Posted by GreyCloud View Post
    4 spark plugs ::)
    Is it only the California bikes (for emissions) or do all M109R have 4 plugs?
    I bought my bike new (Minnesota) and the dealer's service dept. said there is only ONE plug per cylinder (2 total, not 2 per cylinder).

I've had the tank off several times, and replaced the 2 outer plugs, but I don't recall seeing the 2 plugs that have the coil attached.

Do the coils pull off (straight up) like the cap on the other plugs?

Thanks
    Violet Blue '06 (closing in on 45k mi.)

Quote Originally Posted by VB_M109R View Post
    Is it only the California bikes (for emissions) or do all M109R have 4 plugs?
    I bought my bike new (Minnesota) and the dealer's service dept. said there is only ONE plug per cylinder (2 total, not 2 per cylinder).

I've had the tank off several times, and replaced the 2 outer plugs, but I don't recall seeing the 2 plugs that have the coil attached.

Do the coils pull off (straight up) like the cap on the other plugs?

Thanks
    Violet Blue '06 (closing in on 45k mi.)
    They all have 4 plugs. The ones in the center of the engine are recessed into the top of the valve covers, all you really see are wires running to what looks like a black plug. Right in the middle of the head, front and rear. Those have the coils on them and are probably 4" long.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
    They all have 4 plugs. The ones in the center of the engine are recessed into the top of the valve covers, all you really see are wires running to what looks like a black plug. Right in the middle of the head, front and rear. Those have the coils on them and are probably 4" long.
    ..and do the coils just pull off (straight up) similar to the way a normal spark plug wire pulls off?

Thanks for the info.

Another very helpful thread. Thanks
    One who leads with no followers is merely taking a walk

Quote Originally Posted by VB_M109R View Post
    ..and do the coils just pull off (straight up) similar to the way a normal spark plug wire pulls off?

Thanks for the info.
    They pull straight up, just like a regular plug wire. The only difference is they are about 1" in diameter, since they have the coil made in them.

Very Active Member

Is there a certain spec on the plugs? Or is it just good and tight

Quote Originally Posted by army08 View Post
    Is there a certain spec on the plugs? Or is it just good and tight
    TQ spec is in the manual for them.