Tach relocation Mod (Headlight Cowling) - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tach relocation Mod (Headlight Cowling)

Great mod great info pull sweet wheeeeelies now

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Did the mod but attached the tach with industrial velco. The toughest part was putting the headlight cowling back on, it was a real bear.... I dread having to remove it later to change the risers.
    I was pleasantly surprised that I can still see the idiot lights just fine with the stock risers.

Great mod...just do it, you wont be disappointed
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.†

Name:	IMG00012.jpg†
Views:	798†
Size:	76.8 KB†
ID:	2619
    06 burple - custom debeaver, kuryakyn ISO grips, stiletto ends, chrome rear brake cover, wrap around rear LED lights under cowl, kuryakyn run/turn/brake module, rear mini bullet signals, drilled baffles, cobra bungee knobs, 6K HID, suzuki tank bra, smoked taillight, blazer driving lights, 12v adapter, drag specialties teardrop mirrors, custom speedo faceplate, blue gauges, tach relocation, kuryakyn chrome drink holder, customized air filter box with blue LEDs.

I have the same mod and think it looks sweet too!! Like the inner tube idea to fill the gap..great post
    RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by muskrat View Post
    how did you all get in the small space between the risers and tach to remove the allen bolts? the space is too tight for me to fit anything in there (insert joke here). having the same problem removing the chrome front signal housing as well (different mod).
    I didn't see that anyone answered your question so I will. You need to remove handlebar to get at the tach bolts. Just read over the the first page instructions it's all covered there.

One other thing I did that I think looks much better is to relocate the brake line while I had the handlebar off. The brake line runs between the risers from the factory and I moved it to the other side with the throttle cables so it cleans up the look and makes installing the tach a little easier.
    06 burple - custom debeaver, kuryakyn ISO grips, stiletto ends, chrome rear brake cover, wrap around rear LED lights under cowl, kuryakyn run/turn/brake module, rear mini bullet signals, drilled baffles, cobra bungee knobs, 6K HID, suzuki tank bra, smoked taillight, blazer driving lights, 12v adapter, drag specialties teardrop mirrors, custom speedo faceplate, blue gauges, tach relocation, kuryakyn chrome drink holder, customized air filter box with blue LEDs.

Default Tach

Just finished this and it turned out great, I used the stock bolts and used the rubber bushings with the washers and they tapped themselves right in, also bolted the bottom part of the tack to the brake hose bracket in the front, reallt made it strudy, I think you could hang off of it....

Default Shove it?

Quote Originally Posted by Kane62 View Post
    Hate to be a buzz kill but i just unbolted my tach from the bar and shoved it behind the headlight. Total time..5 minutes and no gasket required. Haven't had any problems with it and it doesn't move at all¬*

I was looking at doing the tach relocation mod and was curious to see if anyone else had tried this shortcut method? If so do you have any pics that show the side view?
    "
    Never underestimate old age and treachery"

Quote Originally Posted by Sm00th View Post
    I did the mod and it looks great but something is not right cause to get the cowl in i struggled i bit. right now its in but the chrome part on the cowl is of a bit like its making pressure against something and i can see the separation between the cowl and the chrome plastic part in the cowl. has anybody had this issue?
    With the warm weather on the way, I took off the V stream and packed it away till fall. I decided to go one step further and do this mod after work tonight After 2 hours everything is perfect except I can't, for the life of me ,get both of the headlight bucket screws to go in. One at a time yes but not both. I guess I need to keep cutting and fitting? Looks great though and I also moved the brake line outside the riser as a few others of you have shown. Hope to finish this tomorrow night. PLEASE!
    "

When I did mine I had the same problem. Just make sure the headlight guides are aligning with the rubber bushings which are a PITA. Takes a little bit of pressure also. I actually stripped one of the hex screws. Just be careful when tightening they are very soft (cheap). Good Luck!

I'm not alright, but I'm ok!

Default When the head light goes out, I'm selling the bike!

Quote Originally Posted by Jamz View Post
    When I did mine I had the same problem. Just make sure the headlight guides are aligning with the rubber bushings which are a PITA. Takes a little bit of pressure also. I actually stripped one of the hex screws. Just be careful when tightening they are very soft (cheap). Good Luck!
    Success! Man I must have taken that couling off six or seven times to trim some more. After the sixth time I decided that this would be the appropriate time to upgrade with a Sylvania bulb....BTW, I came up with an idea to further dress the tach up. I'll share it when I'm done. Didn't have the time to do it tonight....Had to ride!...Thanks for all of the help, this board is a gold mine of information and creativity.
    "

Job well done Ironman! All the work pays of on this mod!

I'm not alright, but I'm ok!

Default Recycling is a wonderful thing

I did this mod last week and just love the look. The only thing that looked unfinished was the black plastic tail that connects to the triple tree. I decided to make a chrome cover for it. Here is the first test fit, it needs to be shortened up and reshaped a bit but I think it's going to look original. You might recognize the piece, it's the top of the tach cover that is removed when relocating the tach and some auto door trim in black and chrome. The piece is press fit in and held by the friction of the trim. Let me know what you think.
    "

looks sweet. good job. One of my favorite free mods!

Biker_Ninja

Just did it myself! awesome procedure, i am amazed how different the bike looks. So not only is my BLACK 9 the fastest color, now it looks so.

Default what you guys think

Thought about trying this and just wanted to get some insight before i did. I was looking at the tach. mount and noticed the tach. bracket was bolted to the top of the bracket, what if you bolt it underneath the bracket it would get the tach. lower but wouldn't interfere with the headlight or anything else, you wouldn't even need to take the cowl off, or cut anything except the plastic piece over the bolts or just make thick spacers. I have 3" risers and i don't need to take anything off except for the tach itself. As soon as it's done i'll repost results and hopefully some pics.

Thanks to all you guys taking the time and sharing this awesome info. with the rest of us is truly great and i'm sure everybody like me appreciates it alot.

Thanks,

RAIDR76pa
    '06 Silver , grips, stilleto ends, tear drop tribal post mirrors, 3" risers, stainless braided throttle,clutch, and brake cables, cobra swept exaust, blue led under lighting, zombie pegs front and back, debadged, debeavered, kuryakyn small silver bullet signals, side mount tag bracket.

WuttaHOSS

done, luks sweet.Excellent how to! Was a pain (atleast for me ) Scratched up the sides of the cowl a lil but my own fault fighting trying to get it lined back up to the bolt holes, just have to clean up the edges around the face of the tach now Excuse the dirty garage

Very Active Member need more power's Avatar

do the push in plastic connectors on the top of the cowling just pull out?
    I was pulling on mine pretty hard...felt like I was going to break it.

Your press in the center then they pop and loosen

Very Active Member need more power's Avatar

thank you....I figured it out eventually

Okay...I am starting to feel like an IDIOT!!! I've got about 8 hours into this "quick and easy mod" at this point. I can NOT get that damn cowl to line back up! I can get one side...not the other....I have trimmed the snot out of the black plastic....to the point where I know it's okay...but I cant seem to get the little plastic posts to line up in side the holes on the metal frame. I cant for the life of me figure out what is holding this up!!! Someone mentioned headlight guides not lining up in an earlier post...I'm guessing thats the issue I'm having. I'm am damn near to the point of cutting one of them off, but I'm sure that isn't the RIGHT thing to do. I'm so p*ssed off right now, I dont even know why I'm typing this other than to let others know that there's at least one person who has NOT had a good time with this mod! This is what I call the Law of Tim....its how I live my life. Well....Round 9 about to start....DING!!

WuttaHOSS

Quote Originally Posted by Jemguy View Post
    Okay...I am starting to feel like an IDIOT!!! I've got about 8 hours into this "quick and easy mod" at this point. I can NOT get that damn cowl to line back up! I can get one side...not the other....I have trimmed the snot out of the black plastic....to the point where I know it's okay...but I cant seem to get the little plastic posts to line up in side the holes on the metal frame. I cant for the life of me figure out what is holding this up!!! Someone mentioned headlight guides not lining up in an earlier post...I'm guessing thats the issue I'm having. I'm am damn near to the point of cutting one of them off, but I'm sure that isn't the RIGHT thing to do. I'm so p*ssed off right now, I dont even know why I'm typing this other than to let others know that there's at least one person who has NOT had a good time with this mod! This is what I call the Law of Tim....its how I live my life. Well....Round 9 about to start....DING!!

Duuude, I was with you. headlight cowl, scrapped mine up on both sides to. What a , and I still have a little gap at the very top where my plastic won't snap into the cowl, still have to tinker somemore ohh well, but it does look sawweeet when you finally get her done I feel for ya, wish I had the mad skillz of some and had it whipped in an hr insteak of a day and a half

I FRIGGIN DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I ended up having to trim out the top of the black plate completely between the two plastic rivet holes so the top of the tach is right against the inside of the cowl..but its ON! and it looks SWEET! I'm not sure if this caused the difference, but when I tapped my mounting holes the tach ended up about 1/8" away from the risers in stead of right against them. If I would have had any clue that the reassembly of the headlight was going to be that hard I wouldn't have done the mod, but I'm glad its over. Hell this is such an event all my neighbors are shooting off fireworks.....I assume in my honor......well...at least thats how I feel right now.

WuttaHOSS

Quote Originally Posted by Jemguy View Post
    I FRIGGIN DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I ended up having to trim out the top of the black plate completely between the two plastic rivet holes so the top of the tach is right against the inside of the cowl..but its ON! and it looks SWEET! I'm not sure if this caused the difference, but when I tapped my mounting holes the tach ended up about 1/8" away from the risers in stead of right against them. If I would have had any clue that the reassembly of the headlight was going to be that hard I wouldn't have done the mod, but I'm glad its over. Hell this is such an event all my neighbors are shooting off fireworks.....I assume in my honor......well...at least thats how I feel right now.

Hahahaha,

JemGuy (and any others). I also had all of the problems getting everything back in and locked down. After the install there is always a gap or two around the install where light from your headlight will leak thru. My neighbor happened to be "re weathersealing" his truck and gave me a foot or so of the weatherstripping. I was able to compress it and slide it around the tach then it opened up and sealed up nice. The black stripping blends in great and no light showing. Might be able to stop by a dealership, or a garage and see if anyone has some extra laying around. It was a great way to "pretty up" what inevitably is a rough cut in the black plastic.

WuttaHOSS

I gtta fight with the black part of the cowl snapping back into the headlight cowl at the very top above the tach, grrrrrrrr think the tach is pushin up on the headlight cowl

Nice one

Default What would it cost?

I'm not handy at all. Is there anyone in central/south florida that has done this, and would do it for me. Depending on how much you charge of course. I just know that if i try it, I'll screw it up. I also readsomething about changing the led's on the speedo and tach. Where can i do that, and how muchis it?

Jeff

(772)579 3992

I'm about to tackle this mod but was wondering if the airflow is any different. Right now I'm getting beat in the face with the wind and have to wear a full face helmet to be "comfortable". I was hoping that by moving this the air flow would move down. Anyone notice this?

Can this mod be done on a 109 with 2 inch risers? That brake line junction thingy is right behind the headlight cowling where the tach would go. How can I make room for the tach if that thing has to be there.

THanks!

B.

I guess everyone has since abandoned this thread.