Tach relocation Mod (Headlight Cowling) - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tach relocation Mod (Headlight Cowling)

Default Re: Tach relocation Mod (Headlight Cowling)

Well, I've seen some guys say they removed it and 'shoved it' down in the headlight cowl, so maybe you can try that as a temporary 'trial'. It will at least provide you an opportunity to see if you notice the wind difference, as well get a feel for it being a bit further out from your face / eyes. I was very hesitant with all the mods I've done to my bike.

I'm one of those guys who doesn't venture to think I can out-think the engineers who get paid the big bucks at companies like Suzuki. I usually keep things stock on most my bikes and cars. But - With this one, I have to say - The engineers at Suzuki should be embarrassed that they did not place the tach in that location from the start. Perhaps they were all near-sighted..? Couldn't read the tack moved 12 inches (or 25cm to them) further out..? Just a guess.

In my opinion, it definitely belongs there. Kudos to those here on this board for figuring this out..!
    Ride. Just, ride.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member

I just tucked mine in there the other day, I want to try it out a little before getting to far into it. So far I think it is a huge improvement, and I agree it should of came from the factory like that.
    '07 LE
    De-beavered
    Cortech tri-bags
    Brake away cruise control
    Tach relocation
    Custom GPS mount

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

My advise when cutting that black plastic rear cowl piece - Definitely use a dremel or similar rotary tool, but take your time and cut it right. I started with a basic / small cut, then kept opening it up a little bit at a time so as not to cut too much and have too much headlamp light coming out the back at night. Once you get it cut just right the entire cowl will be a little tight getting those holes realigned, but it does go back on with a little pressure. I'm 175 and I had to lean on it a bit to get it to line up, but it got on. The first few attempts it didn't want to go, so I had to keep cutting lower and lower down the center to allow room for those brake lines and such - But finally it did go on.

One more thing - There are two black rubber studs that line up with two holes for the entire headlight housing when putting it back on. As you slide it back on twist the entire piece like 15 degrees to the left, then straighten it out when those studs / holes are right near each other. I learned that one the hard way. You have to clear some other piece in there that keeps hitting a bracket piece, and it was annoying until I figured that twist method out.

Have fun..!
    Ride. Just, ride.

Okay you convinced me. Now all I need is time to do it. I'm also reworking tail end section with cycle works plate holder and 2361 Kury led turn signal lights. I think that that will be it for this year... Well maybe some ISO grips and Throttle Boss too..

If you're an average mechanically inclined type of guy, which it seems you are (given your intended tail-section work), the tach mod should take approximately 90 minutes start to finish. That's about how long it took me, and I drilled and tapped the mount into the triple tree, and struggled a bit with the headlight cowling on re-installation. It's not a difficult job by any stretch.

Take your time, and have fun..!
    Ride. Just, ride.

hey, just did this mod , it took me less than 2 hours and more than 4 beers, 109 looks so much better then before

Kool.. Sounds about right for time and work.
    Ride. Just, ride.

Very Active Member

awsome mod.. finished it tonight.. thanks for all the tips.

kewl risers next.....
    Wht 07-modded up nicely...

Kudos.. Mine is a couple months finished and every day I further can't believe an engineer would design that to be right up in our face as it was. SOO much better now. Someday, someone will tell me what Suzuki was thinking. Even from an instrument-visibility standpoint, the information is better read down at the headlight cowl. It just seems easier to glance down quickly than to refocus my eyes to a point 16 inches from my nose and back.

Anyway..
    Ride. Just, ride.

I just did this mod, I drilled through the triple tree and used new ss bolts and lock washers, not ass neat as taping but a lot less hassle, there is room to get the nut on the bottom side. u cant see the nuts . cutting the black plastic to get a tight fit was a pain but its a cheep easy mod... looks great....

It is a great mod. I didn't do any drilling at all
    https://www.m109riders.com/forums/sho...relocation+mod

HD ETR

I am kinda new at this but by reading these comments I'm learning alot.

What I need to know is that I have an HID box in that area were that tach will need to go.

Do anyone know if there will be room to relocate the tach ??

Just wanted to know before I start ripping things apart....
    Last edited by jtstrobe; 10-05-2008 at 08:07 PM.

JTSTROBE, i have my hid box on top of my headlight and it gave me plenty of room still to lower the tach in there pretty far.

OK THANKS!!!! Now I feel better NEW MOD FOR ME!!!

I drilled 2 pilot holes and used self tapping automotive screws I had lying around, worked for me! Also I didnt trim the black plastic just shoved it behind the headlight. No probs here.
    GO ORANGE, GO WIDE, GO LOW, OR, GO HOME

Did the mod this evening. Not a problem till I had to line up the headlight cowl holes. 2 hours of taking on and off I could get one side on and couldn't get the other. The holes would not line on both sides. When I finally got both in I rounded of the hex head on one of them and figured I'll deal with it if I ever have to take apart again. otherwise the mod is a big improvement and should have come from the factory this way.

I'm not alright, but I'm ok!

Very Active Member slunglow109r's Avatar

Talking

Did the mod tonight it took about an hour. hint for those planning to do this drill four holes in the plastic then cut dot to dot making a flap (no cutting on the top edge) this cut out all light as the flap blocks it, worked great.

Last edited by slunglow109r; 10-11-2008 at 11:38 PM.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by dbug View Post
    My advise when cutting that black plastic rear cowl piece - Definitely use a dremel or similar rotary tool, but take your time and cut it right. I started with a basic / small cut, then kept opening it up a little bit at a time so as not to cut too much and have too much headlamp light coming out the back at night. Once you get it cut just right the entire cowl will be a little tight getting those holes realigned, but it does go back on with a little pressure. I'm 175 and I had to lean on it a bit to get it to line up, but it got on. The first few attempts it didn't want to go, so I had to keep cutting lower and lower down the center to allow room for those brake lines and such - But finally it did go on.

One more thing - There are two black rubber studs that line up with two holes for the entire headlight housing when putting it back on. As you slide it back on twist the entire piece like 15 degrees to the left, then straighten it out when those studs / holes are right near each other. I learned that one the hard way. You have to clear some other piece in there that keeps hitting a bracket piece, and it was annoying until I figured that twist method out.

Have fun..!
    I did the mod and it looks great but something is not right cause to get the cowl in i struggled i bit. right now its in but the chrome part on the cowl is of a bit like its making pressure against something and i can see the separation between the cowl and the chrome plastic part in the cowl. has anybody had this issue?
    Last edited by Sm00th; 10-14-2008 at 06:10 PM.

Very Active Member

a mod to consider
    Live your own life....... everyone else has one!

'07 Red with a "Natural Mystic Blowing Through The Air........."

Quote Originally Posted by Sm00th View Post
    I did the mod and it looks great but something is not right cause to get the cowl in i struggled i bit. right now its in but the chrome part on the cowl is of a bit like its making pressure against something and i can see the separation between the cowl and the chrome plastic part in the cowl. has anybody had this issue?

I noticed the same thing. I think the issue is with the plastic guides that go into the rubber bushings which I think there are 4. I spent alot of time trying to get the mounting holes to line up.

I'm not alright, but I'm ok!

Alright I know this mod has been talked about quite a bit but I have a couple questions for the experts. I did this mod yesterday and ran into a couple problems. The first problem is I did this mod in my garage while the temp was hovering around freezing...... while wrangling the black plastic piece around to move the brake cable, I broke the black piece low on the right side (pretty brittle in the cold). I swore a little but figured I would keep going and figure it out later (superglue?). So I'm dremeling and just as I am widening everything for the final fit it broke again at the round part right in the middle, so I now have a floating piece of black plastic. Knowing that I will have to get another black plastic piece I continued, but when I went to put the black push pins in one of them broke the "recieving end" part in the cover...... shoulda just went inside and got drunk at this point. Good news is when I get the new black piece in I will have a templete to use in the old one. Will I have to unhook a million pieces to get a new black piece in, it seems like a lot of crap goes around and thru it? The next cutting should go much easier especially inside in my warm work area of the house. As for the push pin, will this be a huge problem leaving one (or both) out? With the tach pressed in there pretty tight I figure the black piece isn't going anywhere. Does anyone see a huge problem....like something flying out when I go over 45mph?

Thanks for helping out
    Barrett

I believe I busted the "hole part" that the push pin goes into in the cowl. I thought I had it lined up and was pressing and heard a pop on the other side of the black plastic piece.

Quote Originally Posted by barrett View Post
    Alright I know this mod has been talked about quite a bit but I have a couple questions for the experts. I did this mod yesterday and ran into a couple problems. The first problem is I did this mod in my garage while the temp was hovering around freezing...... while wrangling the black plastic piece around to move the brake cable, I broke the black piece low on the right side (pretty brittle in the cold). I swore a little but figured I would keep going and figure it out later (superglue?). So I'm dremeling and just as I am widening everything for the final fit it broke again at the round part right in the middle, so I now have a floating piece of black plastic. Knowing that I will have to get another black plastic piece I continued, but when I went to put the black push pins in one of them broke the "recieving end" part in the cover...... shoulda just went inside and got drunk at this point. Good news is when I get the new black piece in I will have a templete to use in the old one. Will I have to unhook a million pieces to get a new black piece in, it seems like a lot of crap goes around and thru it? The next cutting should go much easier especially inside in my warm work area of the house. As for the push pin, will this be a huge problem leaving one (or both) out? With the tach pressed in there pretty tight I figure the black piece isn't going anywhere. Does anyone see a huge problem....like something flying out when I go over 45mph?

Thanks for helping out
    Barrett
    Use a heatgun before you start cutting, it will make life alot easier cause it will cut like butter. If you don't use the push pins it will pop loose and rattle all over the place. If you slice black cover in an area that isn't too visible you can "Franken Zip" it after you get it back on, unless you want to disconnect the front brake hose to get it on.
    "In a better place"

Quote Originally Posted by barrett View Post
    I believe I busted the "hole part" that the push pin goes into in the cowl. I thought I had it lined up and was pressing and heard a pop on the other side of the black plastic piece.

Find the broken piece and epoxy it back on.
    "In a better place"

Thanks for the advice/help I guess with the bike off the road until at least March I have some time to bring the whole headlight inside and repair it right, maybe add an HID kit. What the hell, turn a bad into a good. I'll try the heat gun idea too, after butchering the 1st one I have a template to work from and knowledge of what not to do.

Thanks

Very Active Member Hubert Hefner's Avatar

i like the tach relocate also. it was the first mod that i did with many more to come. i done a couple and its pretty easy and it looks good!
    '07 Black, debadged, tach relocation, cobra dragsters w/big city thunder baffles,fi2000, ATRE, ISO grips, cobra dipstick, and red's custom plate bracket.

how did you all get in the small space between the risers and tach to remove the allen bolts? the space is too tight for me to fit anything in there (insert joke here). having the same problem removing the chrome front signal housing as well (different mod).
    It's better to be judged by twelve than carried by six.

Quote Originally Posted by 57chevyman View Post
    I don't believe there is any adjustment available in the headlight assembly. There are only 2 bolts that hold the headlight case on and there is no play in the design. Fill me in if I missed something.
    On the right side, in the back of the headlight, you'll see a hole (about 1" diameter) - the allen head screw just inside adjusts the headlight up and down. It's a 5 MM as I recall.

I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'óin exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the governmentóit doesn't own you. ~Frank Zappa

I'll be doing this mod soon, I have my bike in pieces, and just sent my guauges away to have the LED's changed, lots of great ideas here, and It's really helpful to learn the various do's and don'ts.