Tach relocation Mod (Headlight Cowling) - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tach relocation Mod (Headlight Cowling)

Default Re: Tach relocation Mod (Headlight Cowling)

Just did this... Great easy cheap mod that does something for the way that the bike looks.
    DeBeavered, Fully Badged, Tach Relocated, Ready for some new mods!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

I would love some more pics if anyone can post them. Especially from the sides.....I'm considering this mod next.

KJ
    07 LE Blue only/De-badged except for M109 logo/Chrome Engine Guards/Chrome Drive Shaft cover over my inspection sticker/Blue GI-Pro/Kurykan Grips/Debeavered/Chrome frame covers/Metz 260

Very Active Member tworangerted's Avatar

01 Dodge Ram,04 Suzuki SV-650,06 Suzuki M-109r!
    what happens on a hotel bedspread...STAYS...on a hotel bedspread!!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

This will be my next project.

Man every time I get on this site I get more knowledge, And ideas. My mod list keeps growing.You guys are a wealth of information.Keep up the killer info.

Air Ride, Irate Grill, LED turn signals,Trick True Fire paint with Dragons,Over 500 LEDS,TI Peg feelers, Freedom exhaust. Coastal Moto Chrome rim 10" 300 Avon, SUMO-X 26"Rim tire /Dam Guy's Custom Fender, Modded Swing arm, SUMO-X 9 Degree Triple trees.

Very Active Member JolyRider109's Avatar

What a great mod, can't wait to get started, it will (does)make a great difference. every one keep up the great work and keep passing on this terrific info. Thanks to all.

Joly

Very Active Member

Love it! Gonna do it tomorrow (before the 1st game)
    Looks a lot cleaner.

Very Active Member

Note to self: Do not start a job when you know you have to rush through it. I pretty much hacked up the plastic piece as I was being rushed to finnish as I had to go to dinner. Should of just stopped and waited. As it is i didn't finnish it so hopefullt tomorrow with a clear and non aggrivated mind I will be able to salvage it and get it looking like it should. It does look a lot cleaner and meaner with it hidden. I ended up just frilling straight througfh and usingb the stock mount bolts with a little lock tite. No need to tap as far as i can see but then again I am the one who messed mine up sp dpnt listen to me.
    Let ya know how it turns out.
    A great thing would be if someone (not mine) has a pefcect cut plastic piece to post a "template" of sort so dummies like myself can just print and ct away. Of course in a pefect world!
    Thanks! Juice109

Hang in there juice

Mine are not tapped. The tach jsut sits there and never moves or wiggles around.

I didnt want to tap into the triple trees...

cheers...
    Hanging in a better place

Very Active Member

Today i'll get it fitting right and then try and clean it up some with some decent weather stripping or equivalent.
    I'm not panicking yet. believe me, I have messed up a lot worse on easier projects. I always can find a way to mess something up.
    When I was on the Hayabusa boards when i had mine i was known to have the worse luck. I think it was just me!
    Juice109

Quote Originally Posted by juice109
    Today i'll get it fitting right and then try and clean it up some with some decent weather stripping or equivalent.
    I'm not panicking yet. believe me, I have messed up a lot worse on easier projects. I always can find a way to mess something up.
    When I was on the Hayabusa boards when i had mine i was known to have the worse luck. I think it was just me!
    Juice109
    If worse comes to worse, I believe the replacement part is $57.57 from Bike Bandit. Part# 5169205-001. (I think that is the right part number)

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmot...-2007/o/m10409

When the page loads, scroll down on the right side in the first window until you see Headlamp Cover, then click it and the parts will be shown at the bottom of the page...

They have really improved their site recently. DLP Might also have this item. I would check with them first.

Cheers...

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by rcj_houston
    If worse comes to worse, I believe the replacement part is $57.57 from Bike Bandit. Part# 5169205-001. (I think that is the right part number)

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmot...-2007/o/m10409

When the page loads, scroll down on the right side in the first window until you see Headlamp Cover, then click it and the parts will be shown at the bottom of the page...

They have really improved their site recently. DLP Might also have this item. I would check with them first.

Cheers...

Thanks! I really appreciate that. I didn't get a chance today but tomorrow is a for sure day on it. Hopefully I can salvage but like you said, worse thing is I'll buy a new piece and mess that one up as well.
    Have to look on the bright side I guess! I've made more costly mistakes in the past. I wish all my previous mess ups only cost me $60.00
    Thanks! Juice109

Very Active Member

Finally made time to finnish my mess. Looks awesome.
    I have a question thow! Once the handle bars are on can you remove the little original tach bracket. I know it supports therisers but with the handle bars on and tight I would think that it's not needed. Sort of ugly and no need to chrome if not needed. thanks! Juice109

Quote Originally Posted by juice109
    Finally made time to finnish my mess. Looks awesome.
    I have a question thow! Once the handle bars are on can you remove the little original tach bracket. I know it supports therisers but with the handle bars on and tight I would think that it's not needed. Sort of ugly and no need to chrome if not needed. thanks! Juice109
    There is no real reason to keep it on there unless you might do some future mod and use the bar as some kind of mount.

Congrats on your mod bro! Be sure to share a few pics of it...

cheers...

Quote Originally Posted by JMarfia
    I have great news.... I did this mod about 2 weeks ago and had the same problem with the headlight pointing down... I got to looking the other day and there is an adjustment!!!!! If you turn the bars left to full lock and look behind the headlight there is a hole in the black plastic with an allen bolt sticking out the back.. When you turn it it raises or lowers the headlight... Got mine back to where it should be
    If you look around (I think it's on the other side ) you will find an adjustment to move your light right and left also.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by 07LERider
    If you look around (I think it's on the other side ) you will find an adjustment to move your light right and left also.
    Good piont 07LERider, I forgot I has this picture of it. This is the headlight adjsutment right behind the right hand side triple trees..

hope this helps....

Very Active Member

Thanks as well! Mine needs a slight adjustment. I also noticed now that the bars or tree or something is just a tad off. Looks tweeked. The tack looks even\straght and I even totally cover it so it's not throwing me off but something is not right. Need to really take a good look and or start measuring to see what the deal is. Not sure if anyone else would notice but I do.
    My advice if doing this mod is to take your time and make sure everything is absolutly perfect. If the tack is not exactly even\straght the it will give the illusion of your bars being off. Hell! it looks awesome anyways!
    Juice109

any instructions of the handlebar removal? i can't seem to get the 4 plugs out. i don't wana break em..

The small plugs (I have thrown mine away) cost $1.69 each at the dealer if you ruin one. Take the thinnest flat blade screw driver you have and gently pry upwards on them from underneath. Use the screw driver as a small prybar. I would be more worried about scratching the clear coat on the risers than I would be of scratching the plastic inserts

Take your time and they will come right out...

cheers...

You guys are awesome. This site is like a single-consciousness of 109riders..! I'm definitely doing this mod now after reading this page - And that last post by JMarfia, awesome. That's a crucial step - Because one of the reasons I've not yet attempted this is just that very fear, that my light would be shining on my toes..! Nice work guys..!
    Ride. Just, ride.

Yes, excellent post. Tach was relocated in about an hr-- I took my time w/ the dremmel tool.

FWIW, I just laid my tach in the hole and let the plastic backing of the headlight shroud hold it in place. I will probably go back and add the black rubber around the cutout at some point-- but not tonight.

Thanks again-- this post took all the mystery out of the project.
    2002 R1150R
    2004 GTO
    2006 K1200R
    2007 M109R

Oh man, seriously, I've done a few things to the 9 since purchasing it about 8 months ago - But this one, relocating the tach is no doubt the best one yet..! It's such a better location in so many ways - Vision (easier to see just being 18 inches further out), makes the bike feel bigger while you're riding, makes the bike look lower in it's profile, more wind on the body which is one of the reasons why we ride to begin with..!, reduces that annoying inherent headlight shake completely, I could go on, but I'm sooooo glad I took the risk in doing this one. EXCELLENT instructions in this post made the process a breeze for an average mechanic such as myself.

Took me 90 minutes, but I slowly dremel(ed) the rear headlight-housing so it was cut out just right. I also did exactly what 'Spankster' (initiator of this post) said and drilled the mounting holes and tapped them to 10/32, then put a bolt and washer in to hold the tach nicely. I don't know if it's mentioned, but I also removed the brass (colored?) plate on the tach to just the black plastic mounts to the triple tree. Completely, awesome. THANKS AGAIN..!!! I'll have pics soon of the 2008 version of my 2006 niner..!

If you could hear the sound of this post, it would sound like this.. WhoaHoaHoHaHooooooo..!!
    Ride. Just, ride.

Quote Originally Posted by dbug
    Oh man, seriously, I've done a few things to the 9 since purchasing it about 8 months ago - But this one, relocating the tach is no doubt the best one yet..! It's such a better location in so many ways - Vision (easier to see just being 18 inches further out), makes the bike feel bigger while you're riding, makes the bike look lower in it's profile, more wind on the body which is one of the reasons why we ride to begin with..!, reduces that annoying inherent headlight shake completely, I could go on, but I'm sooooo glad I took the risk in doing this one. EXCELLENT instructions in this post made the process a breeze for an average mechanic such as myself.

Took me 90 minutes, but I slowly dremel(ed) the rear headlight-housing so it was cut out just right. I also did exactly what 'Spankster' (initiator of this post) said and drilled the mounting holes and tapped them to 10/32, then put a bolt and washer in to hold the tach nicely. I don't know if it's mentioned, but I also removed the brass (colored?) plate on the tach to just the black plastic mounts to the triple tree. Completely, awesome. THANKS AGAIN..!!! I'll have pics soon of the 2008 version of my 2006 niner..!

If you could hear the sound of this post, it would sound like this.. WhoaHoaHoHaHooooooo..!!
    Congrats bro

You will enjoy this mod. Good job!

I cut mine a bit to much, but still love this mod...

You may get a bit of washout from the sun. It's alll good, just add some tinted glass over the riser and you are good to go. I used an aluminum plate, but
    I have recently removed it. Thinking about putting a piece of smoked glass over the risers like other shave suggested in different posts

cheers...

Thanks RCJ - I see you have TWO stebels..??!! Haha.. That must sound like a freight train when you hit the button. That's probably my next item, and I was thinking of disconnecting the yellow high-beam flasher and using that button for the stebel.. ..What do you think..? And where did you mount two of those bad boys..?
    Ride. Just, ride.

Thanks RCJ - I see you have TWO stebels..??!! Haha.. That must sound like a freight train when you hit the button. That's probably my next item, and I was thinking of disconnecting the yellow high-beam flasher and using that button for the stebel.. ..What do you think..? And where did you mount two of those bad boys..?
    When I purchased the second stebil, I thought there was enough room under the left side cover for it to fit. Well....ooooops, no room at all. The second stebil currently sitting on my shelf in the garage until i can figure something out. Others have suggested putting it under the headlight bezel. There is a "how-to" on that in our "how-to" section. I am not sure it will fit, because of the tach relocation mod. When i get some down time, i will figure all of this out. I have a bunch of stuff on order and just waiting on the UPS guy.

I did see one mounting on the outside of the right cover. I might do this also so I can keep all the wiring close together and not have to mess with the headlight bezel & tach mod...

https://www.m109riders.com/forum/inde...html#msg416101

I wouldn't use the hi-beam flash button for the stebel. . Take the time to wire it up properly and use your normal horn button. You don't want to have to think about it in an emergency! But, the key is not to tell the guy inspecting your bike and let them discover that on there own

The best mod I have seen on the hi-beam button, it converting it to operate the garage door opener. (Also in the How-To section of the site.)

cheers bro...

Thanks RCJ - I'd not remove the current horn / rewire the horn button simply for that inspection purpose. They're crazy strict around here in Massachusetts about that stuff. My mechanic says he'll pass my bike no matter what, but if he quits and goes to work elsewhere then I'd have to find another guy to pass the bike. And I already have a small black button wired and hidden on the left side cowl to open the garage door. (Thanks to you guys). Nevertheless - If I were to use the flasher button on the bars, would I just leave those headlight / high-beam wires open ended and wrapped somewhere tucked away..? Or should I disconnect them at the headlight somehow..? Thanks again.
    Ride. Just, ride.

Thanks RCJ - I'd not remove the current horn / rewire the horn button simply for that inspection purpose. They're crazy strict around here in Massachusetts about that stuff. My mechanic says he'll pass my bike no matter what, but if he quits and goes to work elsewhere then I'd have to find another guy to pass the bike. And I already have a small black button wired and hidden on the left side cowl to open the garage door. (Thanks to you guys). Nevertheless - If I were to use the flasher button on the bars, would I just leave those headlight / high-beam wires open ended and wrapped somewhere tucked away..? Or should I disconnect them at the headlight somehow..? Thanks again.
    I do not believe there is any loaw on the books about how loud a horn can or can not be? It simply states it shall have a horn. Please check yor local laws, they do differ from state to state.

As far as the wires left over. Tape/wrap them up proper and just tuck them away out of sight.

cheers...

Very few have commented on how the wind/aerodynamics change with this mod. I really like what I am seeing but are the aerodynamics very different in regards to more wind hitting you?

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks.

BR

Well, it's really not an easy recognition in my opinion - But I think I did notice more air hitting my torso, that's why I put it in my description above. It's not HUGE, but I think it's noticeable. I actually like the wind though, it makes me feel like I'm riding a bike, not driving a steel cage. I mean car. [rofl2] Seriously, it's the best thing I've done to the bike so far. No regrets at all..!
    Ride. Just, ride.

I'm still on the fence but slowly leaning towards doing it...