Fix that rear brake pedal
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fix that rear brake pedal

Default Fix that rear brake pedal

Print version https://www.m109riders.com/howto/brakepedal/

I've done a few of these now and the first one I did was in the vice. The last two were done on the bike and it makes all the difference in the world.
    I know you can just move the pedal but that didn't do enough for me, I needed mine a little higher too.

Before

After

As you can see from this picture before it made your foot hang way out to keep it off of the brake pedal.

I used a pipe wrench and a big adjustable wrench and had it bent into shape in less than 5 min. and I didn't have to take anything off. I did the same thing on the shifter too for Big Joe and his size 16's

This mod is a must if you feel like your feet are slipping off of the pegs and you have a hard time with your brake peddle.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Fix that rear brake pedal

Just FYI you can take it and put it in a welders glow, vice it and grab a hold of it and bend it. Was afraid of tool marks, it bent kinda easy,but I am 6'2 230lb. But I did use cresent wrench on the peg and it worked great.
    Ephesians 6:10-18, Proverbs 3:5,6

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing; Edmund Burke

RebarDWG

yeah. i only wear a size 10 shoe and my right toe points outward because i cant get it under the brake. Definitely have to try this one.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Hi there Lamon...did you use the pipe wrench to bend the brake arm up and the adjustable wrench to bend the brake
    bar down ( horizontal )....just concerned that the weld may snap.
    Your info is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Nutts
    Hi there Lamon...did you use the pipe wrench to bend the brake arm up and the adjustable wrench to bend the brake
    bar down ( horizontal )....just concerned that the weld may snap.
    Your info is appreciated.
    Yes.

Thanks for the info Lamont... I have been fighting with size 13 boots and both the shifter and brake for about 9000 miles now.

I'll give this a shot.Â* Â* Â*

Very Active Member

great idea getting that brake pedal out off the way. used to get snagged up in it trying to get to it. much better now. but darn, nicked it with the pipe wrench... should've use 2 rags.
    thanks for the idea lamonster.
    Lets get that guy who designed the 4mm allen head bolt!

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Boulevard
    great idea getting that brake pedal out off the way. used to get snagged up in it trying to get to it. much better now. but darn, nicked it with the pipe wrench... should've use 2 rags.
    thanks for the idea lamonster.
    Used 3 rags doubled over on mine and the teeth still marked mine slightly. Good mod, but I'd use small wood blocks instead of rags to prevent marking. Maybe a paint stirring stick cut into 2 small pieces would do the trick. No probs with the adjustable wrench on the peg though. And, excellent mod for larger feet!
    06 Blurple 9 delivered 3-28-07

Well with the size 13EE, I have to try this little tech tip out. Thanks...............
    --

Very Active Member

Do you need to heat this at all - or just grip it and rip it?
    BLACK M109R WR8TH<br />Roanoke,VA<br /><br />Mods: JSD-3M,Bent Brake Lever, Kury Zombie Pegs, Suzuki Gel Seat, Stock Exhaust Mod

Very Active Member

Grip and rip. I was initially scared to do it, but it bent really easy. What a world of difference being able to ride this bike with BOTH feet securely on the pegs.

It was easy to do and worked out great, Thanks for the tip Lamonster.
    --

Very Active Member

Have the same problem, you would think the designers at Suzuki would have put just a little thought into the location. Guess they have small feet.

I did this mod today. It worked great.
    Thanx Brutus
    Be Safe...Brutus

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus
    I did this mod today. It worked great.
    Thanx Brutus
    Yeah, I just did this mod a few weeks ago. I can't believe I've been riding around for 11 months and never did this. I had moved the lever 2 spline notches forward and while it was better, it still wasn't to my liking. I finally put it back to OEM spline alignment and got out the pipe wrench. Man am I one happy camper!!! I just did the same to the shift lever and WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!! Like I said, I can't believe I didn't just do this mod on day one. :( Takes less than 5 minutes and is the coolest comfort-factor mod I've done... next to my Corbin seat.

Ummm, YEAH! THANKS LAMONT!

Yes It IS! If you don't do this free and easy mod you can only blame yourself

Thx bro !
    Great Idea to solve my problems. Or is this a typical "Western World" prob. This bike seems to be made for Japanese feet only

If I understand this correctly, after this modification the brake pedal should be over your toes and not under when riding? I just switched over from a sportbike where the brake pedal is always right under your foot. I need this mod because my foot is on the edge of my peg.

Thank BigPap, sounds like what I need, I will try it.

Very Active Member She's real fine my 109's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 07 M109R Limited
    Have the same problem, you would think the designers at Suzuki would have put just a little thought into the location. Guess they have small feet.

i think its your big feet not our small ones
    Good combo for the nine. 265/40/18 or P265/45R 18 Michelin Pilot Sport and Metz 130/70/18 front. Try it, youll like it.
    What other people think of you is none of your business.
    Never judge someone by the opinion of another.

I've had my 109 for a week and just did this mod today. I had moved the pedal down out of the way but I lost my leverage and braking power so I moved it back. I didn't have a wrench handy so i just grabbed the peg and was able to bend it enough by hand. I slipped a socket and ratchet over the peg, and it bent back into place easily. Now I have my braking power back and the lever is out of the way!!

P.S. I've never ridden anything like my new M109!

Quote Originally Posted by Crotch2cruiser
    If I understand this correctly, after this modification the brake pedal should be over your toes and not under when riding? I just switched over from a sportbike where the brake pedal is always right under your foot. I need this mod because my foot is on the edge of my peg.
    found some pick's this guy that did it and the shift lever its cool

Before

after

shifter

remove cover

make note of position

see the clearance not much adjusting

move bolts in yellow

closer look

before

after

Credit goes to Mitiru his bike his photo
    Quote by Jutah
    That shift to second is easy to miss if you don't shift it like you mean it.

Quote Originally Posted by Crotch2cruiser
    I went the opposite way I moved it forward one spline and then bent it down. I had to bend the foot portion up to correct the outside edge from pointing down. Now I have a comfortable riding position and my foot is always covering the rear brake.
    In truth Victory

Quote Originally Posted by Hardy
    Thx bro !
    Great Idea to solve my problems. Or is this a typical "Western World" prob. This bike seems to be made for Japanese feet only
    The ergonomics are definetly set up for someone around 5'8". They actually think the pegs are so far forward that our toes would be pointing toward the sky. I'm 6'1" and the full cut gel seat helped me alot.
    In truth Victory

DirtRacer

Quote Originally Posted by nukeblade
    I went the opposite way I moved it forward one spline and then bent it down. I had to bend the foot portion up to correct the outside edge from pointing down. Now I have a comfortable riding position and my foot is always covering the rear brake.
    I think you need to be careful with this one,great for normal riding but can cause problems when "getting into" the twisties,especially going down steep hills.JMHO

Quote Originally Posted by DirtRacer
    I think you need to be careful with this one,great for normal riding but can cause problems when "getting into" the twisties,especially going down steep hills.JMHO
    Its still above the foot peg THX!
    In truth Victory

I did this mod for a friend of mine about two weeks ago. For the peg, I used a small piece of pipe instead of a crescent wrench. I didn't think of posting this mod. Great illustration Lamonster

UNO 9
    My boys and bikes. A family that prays (and ride) together, stays togerther.
    Mods: Alarm, Nautilus Air Horn, Dunnie 250, drilled exhaust, and debadged.

Very Active Member

I just did not see the point to doing all the bending thing and liked the chrome replacement adding a larger Kuryakyn peg.

Quote Originally Posted by 2pyrs
    I just did not see the point to doing all the bending thing and liked the chrome replacement adding a larger Kuryakyn peg.
    Every "bike" tells a story don't it!
    In truth Victory

Very Active Member

I've only had my bike for a couple of weeks. This is the first mod I have done. OMG what a difference

Did it all without taking it off the bike. I bent the lever up by hand, and the peg down with a few shifters and a couple of rags. The chrome and welds didn't crack. Now I can ride with both feet pointing forward, so much more comfortable. The brake position is also spot on!

What can I say...I'm stoked

Great Idea!
    Mods - Stebel Air horn, Bent brake lever:), Corbin seats and sissy bar, Switchblade footpegs, Cobra swept floorboards, De-badged/De-beavered, Zodiac Infinity bullet indicators