M109 Rider Forums banner

Sump Guard needed

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Bluecruzer 
#1 ·
My 109 is in the shop right now for repairs to the sump and crankcase. Also the oil filter was taken out. This happened as a piece of metal was flicked up off the road by my front wheel. The metal fell a logging truck and I had no choice but to run over it on a 60km corner. The sharp edge of the steel dented the oil filter and punctured the crankcase piercing the return oil gallery from the filter about 3mm hole. Hot oil sprayed all over the rear wheel causing me some intense and very interesting riding for about 300metres in tank slapping mode. It is now obvious to me that this area of the motor is very vunerable to road debri and the repairs are expensive.
A good looking stainless or ali sump guard would be a valuable bolt on. The bottom chrome fairing under the radiater was also damaged, so I suggest that a plate should start infront of that and then cover the sump.
Any ideas please.[imgC:\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents\My Pictures\2006-04-30, Violet New Bike][/img]

G
#2 ·
Interesting. I am glad that you are okay as oil on the rear tire sometimes has a devestating effect. Keep us posted on what transpires. Seems like you might be on to something here since this is the first I have heard of it.

G
#5 ·
This exact situation occured on my V-Strom 650, 20 miles from Moab Utah in November of last year. The V-Strom has the oil filter at the very bottom in the front of the motor, I was lucky though it only pierced the Oil filter, 4 hour ordeal, but you could not have put a pin in my a@# when I saw that black smoke in my rear view mirrors. I shut the motor down with the kill switch and safely stopped the V-Strom, called for Tow Truck.

Thank God for Class room training!!!

I have been there Bro, I know how it feels, good job on not dumping it.

RAW_TAZ

#7 ·
No I did not get the truck details I was kind of busy hanging on round a tight bend and squeezing the cheeks of my ass together, to avoid putting even more shit on the rear tyre. What I have to say is that this incident happened on an isolated piece of road, with no cell phone coverage. The first person to stop was a lady driving right behind me. She pulled over and said are you OK, my husband rides bikes, I will get some help for you, and promptly drove off to a cell coverage area and called the local suzuki dealer, who drove out to pick my bikeup 120ks or 1.5 hrs each way. Whilst I waited over a period of 2 Hrs at least 6 motor cyclist stopped to give assistance, and also as similar no of cars , whose drivers offered to give me a lift home. I was impressed  :bigthumbsup:I am getting the crankcase repaired as the hole is so small, and the cost of replacing the crankcase means stripping the motor completely which would mean a cost of over $5000 NZ$ which is 25% of the  new Zealand purchase price of the bike. I would rather have the repair which entails oversize drilling the oil gallery and inserting a tube  back to original bore size, eliminating the need for a weld, and keeping the factory assembled motor in tact, as if you split the crankcase then you disturb the mains etc. Should have the bike back in another week as I still need a new sump plate & gasket as well and that gets flown in from Japan on Friday. I will be up for about NZ$1500 all up which is below the excess on insurance. Still need that sump Guard though. :bigthumbsup:

#8 ·
wheeeew! glad you are ok man, that's the most important thing. sorry it happened to ya! thanks for the suggestion, sounds worthwhile.

#11 ·
Its interesting to read the fine print on the insurane policy. Where it was deemed to have no other vehicle involed then the excess is 25% of the value of the bike. In my case NZ$5000, I contacted the insurance rep and they conceeded that since I had not dropped the bike , and the damage was caused by debri from another vehicle which I did not have details for, that the standard excess would apply. This was 15% which of course is NZ$3000.
So that is why I went for the repair, by a precision engineer for the all up cost of NZ$1500 since it was to my account, not claimable due to excess. But it is a good exersise to check the excess on your policy. I think I may be looking for a better deal next time I renew it, since it cost NZ$1000 premium. :doorag:

#12 ·
coriman said:
Its interesting to read the fine print on the insurane policy. Where it was deemed to have no other vehicle involed then the excess is 25% of the value of the bike. In my case NZ$5000, I contacted the insurance rep and they conceeded that since I had not dropped the bike , and the damage was caused by debri from another vehicle which I did not have details for, that the standard excess would apply. This was 15% which of course is NZ$3000.
So that is why I went for the repair, by a precision engineer for the all up cost of NZ$1500 since it was to my account, not claimable due to excess. But it is a good exersise to check the excess on your policy. I think I may be looking for a better deal next time I renew it, since it cost NZ$1000 premium. :doorag:
That's a whacked policy... our's don't have no excess like that. Once my damage is over $500 it pays

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.