Cycle House Licence Plate Bracket Install
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cycle House Licence Plate Bracket Install

Default Cycle House Licence Plate Bracket Install

Print version https://www.m109riders.com/howto/cycplate/

http://directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=6076&str=290

This is a pretty easy deal but I'll post this anyway as it may help some of you.

First thing you need to do is pop off the seat. If you need a picture for this then take this bracket to your dealer for the install.

Then you want to pop off your passenger seat or cover, what ever you have on there now.

Now you want to go ahead and pull off the tail section. The first time I did this I pulled off the side covers but you really don't need to. Just pop the corner of each side cover so you can get into the bolt behind the side cover. This will save you a lot of time. There are two Philip head bolts that you have to access from under the fender, don't forget those.

Now that you have all the bolts out just slide the tail section toward the back of the bike and unplug the tail light and set off to the side.

Now unplug the turn signals and plate light and push the wires back down the holes and out of the way.

Now that the wires are out of the way you can cut that big hunk of plastic off. The first time I used a die grinder but this time I used a hacksaw blade just to see if it would work and it worked pretty darn good.

Just cut it flush with the bottom of the plastic plate.

Remove the two stock bolts and replace with new longer bolts from kit. Tighten bolts and put spacer nuts on the back side of bolts.

Install lights to plate bracket and run wires through stock holes.
    There are a bunch of different lights that will work on this bracket and you could reinstall the stock lights if you wanted to. Some plate frames have lights built into them too so the lights are up to you. If you use lights other than stock you will need to splice the connectors to your new lights.

Now all you need to do is put it all back together the same way it came apart. You no longer look like a stock bike,

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member

Default Re: Cycle House Licence Plate Bracket Install

Lamont: Another super post! The hacksaw blade looks like the right tool for the plastic removal.

P.S. When the hell do you get any sleep. Between riding, burning rubber, maintaining this and all the other boards and being a "master wrench" your plate rune-th over :) :) :) :) :)

The saga continues....

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

This is probabaly one of the first mods people will do on their 109's and this is a really good tut.

Quote Originally Posted by bob109
    Lamont: Another super post! The hacksaw blade looks like the right tool for the plastic removal.

P.S. When the hell do you get any sleep. Between riding, burning rubber, maintaining this and all the other boards and being a "master wrench" your plate rune-th over :) :) :) :) :)
    To tell you the truth it took me longer to write this up than it did to do the work on the bike. ::)
    This is all pretty much fun to me so I make time to get it all done. Hope this helps.

how come your tire has a big mark down the middle?

-Chad

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedStack
    how come your tire has a big mark down the middle?

-Chad
    That's not my tire.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster
    To tell you the truth it took me longer to write this up than it did to do the work on the bike.Â* ::)
    This is all pretty much fun to me so I make time to get it all done. Hope this helps.
    You're making life a heck of a lot easier for the folks on this board including this oldtimer. Once again, you have all our appreciation and gratitude :) :) :) :)

Very Active Member

I noticed the license plate light under the tail section, whose light is it anyhow?? Mfg, model, etc

Quote Originally Posted by Stretch
    I noticed the license plate light under the tail section, whose light is it anyhow?? Mfg, model, etc
    I used one of these.
    http://directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=1218&str=290

Why don't the manufacturers make that ugly piece of plastic removable? They all know that most owners are gonna cut it off and if it were removable, they could sell an alternative at the time of purchase....not for street use of course.

will you be selling everything needed includung signals and plate light in one kit

Quote Originally Posted by TonyRumble
    will you be selling everything needed includung signals and plate light in one kit
    And is not where did you get the turn signals? I don't see them on your site.

with the lack of a reply.. i guess that is a no.. :(

anyone know where i can get a KIT with everything needed??

Quote Originally Posted by TonyRumble
    anyone know where i can get a KIT with everything needed??
    There is no kit but you can pick the lights you want to use in the www.DirectLineParts.com store or use your stock lights.

Hey Lamont,

I'm probably gonna buy your plate mount and do this mod. My question is.... How do the signal lights mount to the plate bracket? Also, I saw that you used the LED cluster to light the plate. What did you run the wiring for that light to? Gotta keep it legal, so I want to have all my ducks in a row before I hack the junk off the tail. Thanks in advance.

Mike
    Never do anything you wouldn't want to explain to the Paramedics

Just finished this mod with the "cat eye" lights for the rear signals. Anyone have suggestions for a match for the front signals? I tried to fit the lights in the front through the bracket hole for the existing front signals but it didn't fit (too large).

Q- How do the signal lights mount to the plate bracket?
    A- There are tabs on the bracket for the lights.

Q- Also, I saw that you used the LED cluster to light the plate. What did you run the wiring for that light to?
    A- You run the wires to the stock plate light harness.

Quote Originally Posted by DAJ90
    Just finished this mod with the "cat eye" lights for the rear signals. Anyone have suggestions for a match for the front signals? I tried to fit the lights in the front through the bracket hole for the existing front signals but it didn't fit (too large).
    I just drilled out the front brackets on mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster
    Q- How do the signal lights mount to the plate bracket?
    A- There are tabs on the bracket for the lights.

Q- Also, I saw that you used the LED cluster to light the plate.Â* What did you run the wiring for that light to?
    A- You run the wires to the stock plate light harness.

I just drilled out the front brackets on mine.
    Did you just drill larger holes in the front bracket and used the same lights. Just want to make sure I understand B4 I go drilling. I currently have flex LED in front and cat eye signals in back. I like the cat eye best so I want to use some for the front too.

Quote Originally Posted by DAJ90
    Did you just drill larger holes in the front bracket and used the same lights. Just want to make sure I understand B4 I go drilling. I currently have flex LED in front and cat eye signals in back. I like the cat eye best so I want to use some for the front too.
    Hey, if you're gonna replace the flex LEDs, would you be interested in selling them?

Quote Originally Posted by Medic1210
    Hey, if you're gonna replace the flex LEDs, would you be interested in selling them?
    Yes I would. Send me a PM and we'll discuss it.

Hey Lamont... I ordered a plate bracket and LED cluster as well as some Kury Small Silver Bullets and a Back Off XL from you guys over the weekend. How long will it take the order to be processed and shipped? I paid for 3 day Priority, which if the store is in Tenn, should only be 2 days to get to mid-NC. Just curious as to when I could expect to get this stuff in and installed.

Thanks,

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Medic1210
    Hey Lamont... I ordered a plate bracket and LED cluster as well as some Kury Small Silver Bullets and a Back Off XL from you guys over the weekend. How long will it take the order to be processed and shipped? I paid for 3 day Priority, which if the store is in Tenn, should only be 2 days to get to mid-NC. Just curious as to when I could expect to get this stuff in and installed.

Thanks,

Mike
    I don't run the store. They ship from Sunrise, FL and Hendersonville, NC. I would wait till I have the parts in hand before I started taking stuff apart.

Huge thanks for the pic Lamonster. Will be ordering new lights real soon.

Thanks Lamont. Directions are great and mod looks great.

I am in the process of installing the plate bracket and Kury Silver Bullets. Am I correct in assuming the greenish colored wire is the ground and the striped wire is the hot? And for the plate light the Grey color wire is ground and the striped one hot? I don't want to blow a fuse. Got all my connections ready, just want to be sure before I squeeze the pliers.

Never mind... I figured it out... Solid colored wires on bike are the hot wires. Striped wires are ground. Backward from what I expected. I just touched the hot wire from the Silver bullet to one wire and touched the ground to a ground on the bike to see which wire caused the light to work. Same with the small 4 LED cluster light I bought for the plate light. I guess I may end up needing to install the load equalizer. I don't much mind the quick flashing, but I have lost the "park" lights... when the rear turn lights light up solid when key is turned all the way clockwise. I don't have the brake hooked back up yet. Maybe that is why. I'll check that out first.

Ok, so I got everything installed... Plate bracket, Kury Small amber LED Silver Bullets, 4 LED Cluster to shine on plate and Backoff XP brake modulator. I'm soaked in sweat. Getting the tail piece back on was a small challenge to say the least. Holes didn't want to line right up. As for the Kury Small Silver Bullet LED signals, they aren't very bright compared to stock. Not like I thought they would be. They will do, but I gotta say, the originals lit up better. I have lost the "park" feature, as the signals won't stay lit constantly. The only thing that stays lit is the plate light and brake light. Not a very big deal. I don't even use that feature. I have not installed the Load equalizer that came with the lights... I figure that if they aren't very bright, maybe the rapid flashing will get the needed attention when turning. The Led Cluster light like Lamont used on his bracket is the one I used. I gotta say it doesn't do a very good job of lighting the plate. It shines a very bright spot on the top center, but the rest of the plate is only partially lit, and the numbers/letters are cast in shadows from the light hitting them from the side. To install that light, I bored a small hole and ran the wires up through. I haven't actualy mounted the light, as the wires pulled through the hole keeps the light pretty much in place. Besides, the light will be in the way of the tail piece if mounted with tape or screws... unless you notch the part of the tail that would hit the light. As I have it now, I just pulled a bit of slack in the wires and slipped the tail piece under the light. I would be interested in seeing how Lamont worked around this issue with his install. I may end up with a plate cover that has a light on the top, but I'm not sure if the angle of the cycle house bracket will leave enough room for one of these frames.

As for the Backoff XP, it works just as described. I just felt like pulling my hair out trying to get it wired. Apparently it won't work until it's grounded... really grounded, as in the wire snugged tightly under a frame bolt. Just lightly grounding it will not work. I was just about to remove it completely, but desided to really snug the ground wire down. Worked fine. I didn't have a soldering gun, so I used the old crimp connectors. I installed a plug connector to the brake wire so I can still remove the tail piece. I have the modulator set to do 5 very rapid flashes followed by solid on. I liked this better than the 3 slow flashes followed by 3 seconds of solid on which repeated over and over as long as the brake handle is activated. Anyway, I'll put some pics up tomorrow, as I installed these tonight while at work and don't have my camera. Completed mod looks very nice. Glad I did it, just not sure what I'm gonna do about the plate light. I don't think I really like the 4 LED cluster light, though it will have to do for now.

My Big Bike LED lights are very bright, not sure why yours are not. ::)

I took that cluster plate light off and I'm going to these.
    http://directlineparts.com/product.a...0&ID=112587407

I really don't care if it lights up good or not, as long as I don't get pulled over for no light that's good enough for me.