M109 Rider Forums banner

Cycle House Licence Plate Bracket Install

Tags
debeaver
84K views 120 replies 64 participants last post by  FlyingCircus 
#1 ·
Print version http://www.m109riders.com/howto/cycplate/

http://directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=6076&str=290

This is a pretty easy deal but I'll post this anyway as it may help some of you.

First thing you need to do is pop off the seat. If you need a picture for this then take this bracket to your dealer for the install. ;)

Then you want to pop off your passenger seat or cover, what ever you have on there now.

Now you want to go ahead and pull off the tail section. The first time I did this I pulled off the side covers but you really don't need to. Just pop the corner of each side cover so you can get into the bolt behind the side cover. This will save you a lot of time. There are two Philip head bolts that you have to access from under the fender, don't forget those. ;)

Now that you have all the bolts out just slide the tail section toward the back of the bike and unplug the tail light and set off to the side.

Now unplug the turn signals and plate light and push the wires back down the holes and out of the way.

Now that the wires are out of the way you can cut that big hunk of plastic off. The first time I used a die grinder but this time I used a hacksaw blade just to see if it would work and it worked pretty darn good. :bigthumbsup:

Just cut it flush with the bottom of the plastic plate.

Remove the two stock bolts and replace with new longer bolts from kit. Tighten bolts and put spacer nuts on the back side of bolts.

Install lights to plate bracket and run wires through stock holes.
There are a bunch of different lights that will work on this bracket and you could reinstall the stock lights if you wanted to. Some plate frames have lights built into them too so the lights are up to you. If you use lights other than stock you will need to splice the connectors to your new lights.

Now all you need to do is put it all back together the same way it came apart. You no longer look like a stock bike, :bigthumbsup:

See less See more
#58 ·
I have ordered one of these brackets also but, it took almost two months just for them to send it. I have been told by DLP the hold up was that the manufacurer was redesigning the bracket to make it more duable. due to the cracking problem. I'm hoping it is better when I get it because I will be running factory signals on it.

#60 ·
very helpful How To, but, a couple of things regarding the new relocating plate:

1. Mine came with standard mounting bolts, had to go buy metrics. No biggy, mostly an annoyance. Not sure what the spacer nut is for with the old style plate but mine seemed to fit better and felt stronger without it so I left it off.

2. The new design puts the plate much closer to the tire, if you plan to use the LED bolts, they are a pain in the :edit:. IMO, they are not worth the money or effort, the leads are short and brittle, and one of the wires on mine came completely off with no way of being fixed. So I've got a $15 set of license plate bolts..... If you are inexperienced with wiring (as I am) don't get these. I plan to get one of the lighted frames, looks like they will fit just fine.

spyder207 said:
For those that retained the stock signals, how did you line them up? When tightening mine down I noticed this to be an issue, so any thoughts would be appreciated.
After removing the large washer with the diamond shape from the signals, I eyeballed them to line up with the top edge of the plate, then elongated the hole using a drill bit and used a thin flat file to flatten the top and bottom edges, then a rat tail to smooth out the rounded portions. Was strictly trial and error and took a few times to get it, but it worked fairly well.

#62 ·
yukonfun said:
Since this was originally posted in 2006, did Suzuki change the license plate for the 2007 models so that we do not have to cut it off? I have not looked at mine yet but am worried about cutting it off.
I've heard of some folks unbolting theirs. I'm not sure if doing this on 2007 models or later will leave a big hole, but that is what happens if you unbolt the ones on the 2006 models.

#63 ·
I just completed my 07, it can be unbolted butyou must make a rather large fitted plate to cover the opening.

The supplied bolts were to short so I used stainless steel 1/4-20's, 1-1/2" long, you will need 2. Got 'em at Lowe's.

I just chucked a 1/4-20 tap in my drill and ran it through the metric threads re-tapping it to 1/4-20.

I put a nylok nut on first as a spacer, that worked great to make room for the wiring to the stock turn signals,
then the Cycle House plate holder, then finished it with another nylok nut.

Plate Link http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=6076&str=290&ID=871636344

Plenty sturdy, great looking and by using a nut as a spacer, I won't have to go back into the tail piece to hold the bolt-head if I remove the plate holder in the future.

As far as fear cutting your bike, don't sweat it; just go ahead. Its just a piece of plastic. Watch those wires though.

Before

Before

Before

After

After

After

After

Lighted Plate Frame-------> http://www.customdynamics.com/illuminatorz_licence_plates.htm

#64 ·
Thanks for the "how to", really made things a lot easier! :bigthumbsup:

I just installed the "new" DLP bracket on my '07 LE. Everything went smooth until I attempted to use the hardware shipped with the bracket. While wrenching the bolt back into the top hole it broke in half ! :edit: :edit: I was able to drill it out pretty easily, but for the price of this you'd think they'd ship some usable hardware. Just a warning for anyone getting the "new" DLP bracket, save yourself some time and get some stronger & slightly longer bolts!

#65 ·
I am in the middle of doing this mod and I am at the point of removing the rear fender. Everything has been easy to this point but I don't seem to have ready access to the fasteners under the side panels. I can see the fasteners but the side panels don't seem to 'pop off' as easily as in Lamont's instructions. I am having trouble accessing them. Any advice?

#66 ·
I'm assuming your talking about the fasteners near the seat? When I did this, I just popped the side panels out where the allen screws are. You can get an allen wrench into the screw head if you pull the side panel out slightly while unscrewing it. Go in from the underside of the panel.

Hope this helps.

#73 ·
Just installed the Baron version and took me about an hour, just being a total novice. Lucky enough to have this site for reference and to have different people show how it should go gave me the nads to pull it apart and take the hacksaw to it. Suzuki should make the debeav the stock look.

I can't believe all the help that you get on this site. Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.