Cycle House Licence Plate Bracket Install - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cycle House Licence Plate Bracket Install

Very Active Member

Default Re: Cycle House Licence Plate Bracket Install

Since this was originally posted in 2006, did Suzuki change the license plate for the 2007 models so that we do not have to cut it off? I have not looked at mine yet but am worried about cutting it off.
    2008 Tattooed

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by yukonfun
    Since this was originally posted in 2006, did Suzuki change the license plate for the 2007 models so that we do not have to cut it off? I have not looked at mine yet but am worried about cutting it off.
    I've heard of some folks unbolting theirs. I'm not sure if doing this on 2007 models or later will leave a big hole, but that is what happens if you unbolt the ones on the 2006 models.
    Never do anything you wouldn't want to explain to the Paramedics

Very Active Member Michaelbgone's Avatar

I just completed my 07, it can be unbolted butyou must make a rather large fitted plate to cover the opening.

The supplied bolts were to short so I used stainless steel 1/4-20's, 1-1/2" long, you will need 2. Got 'em at Lowe's.

I just chucked a 1/4-20 tap in my drill and ran it through the metric threads re-tapping it to 1/4-20.

I put a nylok nut on first as a spacer, that worked great to make room for the wiring to the stock turn signals,
    then the Cycle House plate holder, then finished it with another nylok nut.

Plate Link http://www.directlineparts.com/produ...0&ID=871636344

Plenty sturdy, great looking and by using a nut as a spacer, I won't have to go back into the tail piece to hold the bolt-head if I remove the plate holder in the future.

As far as fear cutting your bike, don't sweat it; just go ahead. Its just a piece of plastic. Watch those wires though.

Before

Before

Before

After

After

After

After

Lighted Plate Frame-------> http://www.customdynamics.com/illumi...nce_plates.htm

I ride way to fast to worry about cholesterol

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the "how to", really made things a lot easier!

I just installed the "new" DLP bracket on my '07 LE. Everything went smooth until I attempted to use the hardware shipped with the bracket. While wrenching the bolt back into the top hole it broke in half ! I was able to drill it out pretty easily, but for the price of this you'd think they'd ship some usable hardware. Just a warning for anyone getting the "new" DLP bracket, save yourself some time and get some stronger & slightly longer bolts!
    '07 LE/ de-beavered, 2" risers, 2.5" peg extenders, Kury ISO zombie pegs, kury iso grips w/ throttle boss & stilletto tips, bio-hazard magneto cover w/ green light, blue LED lights all around

I am in the middle of doing this mod and I am at the point of removing the rear fender. Everything has been easy to this point but I don't seem to have ready access to the fasteners under the side panels. I can see the fasteners but the side panels don't seem to 'pop off' as easily as in Lamont's instructions. I am having trouble accessing them. Any advice?

I'm assuming your talking about the fasteners near the seat? When I did this, I just popped the side panels out where the allen screws are. You can get an allen wrench into the screw head if you pull the side panel out slightly while unscrewing it. Go in from the underside of the panel.

Hope this helps.
    '07 LE/ de-beavered, 2" risers, 2.5" peg extenders, Kury ISO zombie pegs, kury iso grips w/ throttle boss & stilletto tips, bio-hazard magneto cover w/ green light, blue LED lights all around

Thanks. Sure enough, when I tried the other side, the side panel did pop right out so I figured out what was going on. Later I went out and bought stonger, longer bolts but broke one off anyway. Anyone have any advice on how best to drill out the bolt?

How thick is the metal used for this bracket?
    2008 M109R2
    280 Club
    10 in Rear - PM Torque Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by rs87277
    How thick is the metal used for this bracket?
    I believe both versions are now made of .100 stainless steel.

How long did it take for you guys to get this after you ordered it? i ordered it but they said might be a few weeks?
    cHaD

Quote Originally Posted by brittanyman
    How long did it take for you guys to get this after you ordered it? i ordered it but they said might be a few weeks?
    2-3 days. They had them in stock when I ordered them.

I used this post to install the Baron plate mount with led frame. had no problem at all, took about 2 hours. Nice to finally get that ugly piece of plastic of My 9's tail.

I'm not alright, but I'm ok!

Just installed the Baron version and took me about an hour, just being a total novice. Lucky enough to have this site for reference and to have different people show how it should go gave me the nads to pull it apart and take the hacksaw to it. Suzuki should make the debeav the stock look.

I can't believe all the help that you get on this site. Thanks
    Every once in a while, God slaps you off your barstool..

Thanks Lamonster.. that was a breeze and a big difference in look.
    Every once in a while, God slaps you off your barstool..

Finally getting ready to do this. Where did all the pictures go They were there last week... Help!

Very Active Member Canucklehead's Avatar

Yeah... me too... I know I've seen them a million times but I needed just 1 more viewing!!

I just installed one of these this morning on a friends new '08. Cut the beavertail off and the re is a metal "lip" that extends down about 1/4" or so under there. The plate bracket would not sit flat against the mounting area under there. We had to angle the dang thing, and even then, the supplied bolts were not long enough. We barely made it work by not using any washers OR the stock flat metal piece on top. Kind of a half assed way to get it on there, but it did not install as it should have and the hardware was not correct.

THEN, I referred to this thread for directions since none came with the kit, and THE *******G PICS ARE GONE!!

The damn Clear Alternatives tail that came with the DLP order also is defective. All the red LEDs on the right side are out!
    '06 silver 9er
    CM Rockstars,10" rear with 280/160, super fat forx, custom 2into1, lowered 2.75, k/n on TBs, power pro, iso grips, low rear caliper, CA tailight, billet led signals, debeaver, tre, tach relocate, polished hub,HID

Is it possible for someone to load the pics for this how to again? Im pretty sure this is going to be my next mod.

Jason

I did it without the pix. I couldn't wait. I'm very happy with my results!

Quote Originally Posted by Seabizkit
    Is it possible for someone to load the pics for this how to again? Im pretty sure this is going to be my next mod.

Jason
    Yep, Lamontser is working on it!

Getting ready to do this, hope the pics come back.

John
    NC

You can use the text description. That's what I did. I'm not that good mechanically and it turned out perfectly! If you can do Ikea, you can do this w/o pix!

I finally did it!

I'm just alittle worried about the turn signals moving because on the 08's they have a notch that hold them in place and on the bracket from DLP the holes are just round not notched. Went together perfect except that little hiccup. Very happy with the outcome!
    2008 M109R Limited
    Dunnie 250, De-Beavered side-mount license plate, rear RAW Led turn signals, Hellcat windshield, ISO grips, Hidden Garage Door opener, JSD-3M, PCIII, Holley Big Air kit, Colder plugs!

Nice work Lars!

Thank you!
    2008 M109R Limited
    Dunnie 250, De-Beavered side-mount license plate, rear RAW Led turn signals, Hellcat windshield, ISO grips, Hidden Garage Door opener, JSD-3M, PCIII, Holley Big Air kit, Colder plugs!

Just finished my installation of mine today. Used a little different steps on mine tat made it really easy. Used a grinder to grind down the tab on the plastic washers smooth. Used a flat and lock washer when mounting it to the plate holder. Was able to keep straight and tighten very easy. Got a 2 set LED (white) from a friend at the honda shop and mounded it to the bottom of the plate and routed cable with turn signal cable back to the plate light junction. Tightened every thing up and it works and looks great. Thanks to all for the info and ideas as I read and used all. Have one leftover white LED if anyone is getting ready to do this.

John Glass
    Nc

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster
    http://directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=6076&str=290

This is a pretty easy deal but I'll post this anyway as it may help some of you.

First thing you need to do is pop off the seat. If you need a picture for this then take this bracket to your dealer for the install.

Then you want to pop off your passenger seat or cover, what ever you have on there now.

Now you want to go ahead and pull off the tail section. The first time I did this I pulled off the side covers but you really don't need to. Just pop the corner of each side cover so you can get into the bolt behind the side cover. This will save you a lot of time. Here's the picture of the bolts that you need to take out. There are two Philip head bolts that you have to access from under the fender, don't forget those.

Now that you have all the bolts out just slide the tail section toward the back of the bike and unplug the tail light and set off to the side.

Now unplug the turn signals and plate light and push the wires back down the holes and out of the way.

Now that the wires are out of the way you can cut that big hunk of plastic off. The first time I used a die grinder but this time I used a hacksaw blade just to see if it would work and it worked pretty darn good.

Just cut it flush with the bottom of the plastic plate.

Remove the two stock bolts and replace with new longer bolts from kit. Tighten bolts and put spacer nuts on the back side of bolts.

Install lights to plate bracket and run wires through stock holes.
    There are a bunch of different lights that will work on this bracket and you could reinstall the stock lights if you wanted to. Some plate frames have lights built into them too so the lights are up to you. If you use lights other than stock you will need to splice the connectors to your new lights.

Now all you need to do is put it all back together the same way it came apart. You no longer look like a stock bike,

the pictures arent showing up for me!? :(
    2004 MSX109R - Screaming Egg Roll Edition - Custom carburetor intakes - Modified Carburetors - T3 Turbo - Custom JetKit - Custom 2-1-2-4 "Racing Exhaust" - Custom cam pulleys - Dubble Bubble Windshield - Frame Sliders - 24" Stretched Swingarm

Quote Originally Posted by VinnieB
    the pictures arent showing up for me!? :(
    The pics aren't showing up for anyone... as posted earlier Lamont lost the pics and is trying to recover them!!

Quote Originally Posted by Canucklehead
    The pics aren't showing up for anyone... as posted earlier Lamont lost the pics and is trying to recover them!!
    thank you
    2004 MSX109R - Screaming Egg Roll Edition - Custom carburetor intakes - Modified Carburetors - T3 Turbo - Custom JetKit - Custom 2-1-2-4 "Racing Exhaust" - Custom cam pulleys - Dubble Bubble Windshield - Frame Sliders - 24" Stretched Swingarm

Anyone have a link to the pics on this "how to"? A pic is worth 1000 words to me. LOL