Cycle House Licence Plate Bracket Install - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cycle House Licence Plate Bracket Install

Default Re: Cycle House Licence Plate Bracket Install

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster
    My Big Bike LED lights are very bright, not sure why yours are not. ::)
    Not sure if you are talking about the signal lights or what... My Small Silver bullets are bright, but they don't throw much light. I haven't looked at them in bright sunlight yet. I just know that they don't appear as bright as the halogen stockers.

I really don't care if it lights up good or not, as long as I don't get pulled over for no light that's good enough for me.
    True, I guess I can buy that. I just thought it would light the plate better. The little lights are very bright, but the angle of the plate makes the light shine right on the top center of the plate, while the rest of the plate is bare lit. The numbers and letters are very difficult to read d/t the shadows cast by the light coming in from the side. I guess it doesn't really matter because if a LEO is trying to read my plates at night, his headlights will more than light the plate adequately. As for my other question... How did you install the LED cluster and still allow the tail section to be installed? The lip on the back of the tail piece wraps under the fender past where the light is. Had I screwed it or taped it in place, I wouldn't have been able to get the tail piece back on without notching out that lip to fit around the light. It isn't so much a problem because the wires are pulled through a small hole and actually hold the light in place, yet allow enough 'give' to let the lip on the tail slide under the light. How did you get around this issue with yours?
    Never do anything you wouldn't want to explain to the Paramedics

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Hey Lamont, I want to order the plate mount but I live in Canada, any idea what the cost would be with duty and shipping it up here?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ZAcornn
    Hey Lamont, I want to order the plate mount but I live in Canada, any idea what the cost would be with duty and shipping it up here?

Thanks
    I sure don't. Best to call the office to find out.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Medic1210
    Not sure if you are talking about the signal lights or what... My Small Silver bullets are bright, but they don't throw much light.¬* I haven't looked at them in bright sunlight yet.¬* I just know that they don't appear as bright as the halogen stockers.

True, I guess I can buy that.¬* I just thought it would light the plate better.¬* The little lights are very bright, but the angle of the plate makes the light shine right on the top center of the plate, while the rest of the plate is bare lit.¬* The numbers and letters are very difficult to read d/t the shadows cast by the light coming in from the side.¬* I guess it doesn't really matter because if a LEO is trying to read my plates at night, his headlights will more than light the plate adequately.¬* As for my other question... How did you install the LED cluster and still allow the tail section to be installed?¬* The lip on the back of the tail piece wraps under the fender past where the light is.¬* Had I screwed it or taped it in place, I wouldn't have been able to get the tail piece back on without notching out that lip to fit around the light.¬* It isn't so much a problem because the wires are pulled through a small hole and actually hold the light in place, yet allow enough 'give' to let the lip on the tail slide under the light.¬* How did you get around this issue with yours?¬*
    Just for information- LEO's use a technique where they are behind a vehicle at night, (stopped of course) and turn off their headlights momentarily, if the tag light is not illuminating the tag so he can read it from at least 100 ft away it is out of compliance. This is in Florida.

Hey Lamont, if I may make a suggestion regarding your plate bracket... Make the mounting holes about 1/2 inch or so closer to the plate. This will tuck the plate a bit further under the tail section and will make the plate lighting issues less of an issue. The 4 LED cluster will fit better, and also shine down on the plate better. Also, I have been noticing that the plate shakes a lot, possibly because the mounting holes are so far forward, not evenly distributing the weight. With the holes moved, the plate shakes much much less. I had to replace my 4 LED cluster because it quit working, so while I had the tail section off, I took my Dremel tool with a carbide cutting bit and notched out the mounting holes so the screws would slide forward, thus moving the plate back. Then I used some LED bolts that I bought from Advance Auto and mounted 3 of them across the top of the plate. This has helped the lighting issues greatly, and I think the plate looks a bit better slid forward 1/2".

This pic shows how it was notched. Sorry that I didn't take the pics before I re-mounted it. It's at least 1/2" further in, maybe more... I just eyeballed it.

These pics show the lights I mounted. They are Optix LED bolt lights, and they come 2 to a pack. I bought 2 packs, but only decided to use three of them. These are not the kind that shine the light to the side like the kury plate light bolts though. They shine straight down. I did have to use a cutoff wheel to shorten the mounting bolt so it would fit under the tail section. This was very simple and didn't mess up the threads.

Who makes those tag bolts and where did you get them

Quote Originally Posted by seapup

Who makes those tag bolts and where did you get them
    Those tag bolts are some cheapies I picked up at Wal-Mart. Also saw them at Auto Zone the other day. Cost $6 or so and come with a key/wrench that is needed to tighten them or remove them.

Thanks man! They may be inexpensive, but they look awesome to me!

notlohdahc

I assume there was a reason for using the hacksaw to cut the hunk of plastic off the back, why? Aren't there 2 small screws underneath that hold this hunk of plastic on?

I have only taken a quick look at the rear LP holder and noticed the 2 screws, so they may not be what I think they are.

I am going to be doing this mod, so I was just curious about the cutting off the plastic piece.

Thanks

Chad

Quote Originally Posted by notlohdahc
    I assume there was a reason for using the hacksaw to cut the hunk of plastic off the back, why? Aren't there 2 small screws underneath that hold this hunk of plastic on?
    You are very right to assume that. If all it took were unscrewing 2 screws to remove it, believe me, that's what we would be doing. The stock plate holder is molded to the plastic under the tail. I'm really not 100% sure what those two screws are initially used for, but I know what they are used for now... Also, those screws cannot be removed. There is a metal plate on the other side of the screws too. At least I could not remove mine when I wanted to move the plate bracket back like I did. Since they don't move, I had to make the mount holes bigger.

I have only taken a quick look at the rear LP holder and noticed the 2 screws, so they may not be what I think they are.
    Nope, they aren't.

I am going to be doing this mod, so I was just curious about the cutting off the plastic piece.
    Don't worry. It's a piece of cake with a hacksaw blade. Just butt it up against the underside of the tail section and have at it. Just be careful when cutting near the stock wires, though those are going to be cut anyway.

anyone know where lamont got the first set of indicaters (see the begining of this thread) I've been looking around and can't find them.

Quote Originally Posted by BLADE
    anyone know where lamont got the first set of indicaters (see the begining of this thread)¬* I've been looking around and can't find them.
    They are junk Bro, you don't want them.

Thanks for the update.

daleg18

Hey -

New to the board
    Just bought an 07' black 109
    Got em down to $10,584.65 (heh, heh woo-hoo - must have been the cold weather, year-end, right before Christmas squeeze!)
    No pics yet...

Had a question about the license plate mod. I've got to do this because the 2000 LC1500 I've got doesn't have anything on that sleek fender. Anyway, I'm down in Texas and we have a huge inspection sticker that is almost as large as the license plate itself. Does anyone have an idea what to do what that thing? Are there any Texans who've done this mod yet? The Intruder has an Inspection bracket just above the Vance Hines pipes but I haven't seen anyone with anything like that yet on the M109s.

Any help would be appreciated ~

Quote Originally Posted by daleg18
    Hey -

New to the board
    Just bought an 07' black 109
    Got em down to $10,584.65 (heh, heh woo-hoo - must have been the cold weather, year-end, right before Christmas squeeze!)
    No pics yet...

Had a question about the license plate mod. I've got to do this because the 2000 LC1500 I've got doesn't have anything on that sleek fender. Anyway, I'm down in Texas and we have a huge inspection sticker that is almost as large as the license plate itself. Does anyone have an idea what to do what that thing? Are there any Texans who've done this mod yet? The Intruder has an Inspection bracket just above the Vance Hines pipes but I haven't seen anyone with anything like that yet on the M109s.

Any help would be appreciated ~
    I'm pretty sure it doesn't have to be in a conspicuous location like on the tag. I'm also almost positive that mod has been done by numerous Texans on this site. I have mine mounted on my left fork behind the headlight nacelle. I'm in NC though, and not sure if the law is the same in Tx.

I just finished installing my new clear tail light from clear alternatives and I love it. Thanks to this forum I had no problems installing it. However 3 of the 4 soldered wires came loose and I had to re solder them and I suck at soldering so that was no fun. Also finding a good spot to put the resistors was tough. On the bag it said not to put them near plastic or anything painted and well there really isn't much choice on where to place those things...any thoughts? Also you may have said already but where did you get the metal piece that you mounted your license plate on?

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by ajej4780
    I just finished installing.....................
    I,m working on mine now, I used an epoxy putty and mounted them to the metal fender under the tail piece. There is an air gap so any heat created will not harm the tail piece. Any heat should also dissipate through the epoxy and use the metal fender as a heat sink. One on each side.

http://image1.frappr.com/pix1/i/2006...b160_large.jpg

http://image1.frappr.com/pix1/i/2006...4e50_large.jpg

http://image2.frappr.com/pix2/i/2006...0db0_large.jpg

http://image2.frappr.com/pix2/i/2006...5810_large.jpg

Hey Lamonster

I just did this modification last night in the garage. I did the mod in about an hour total. (I know, i'm slow, but i like to take my time) Your instructions were awesome and right on target. Thank you so much for posting how to do this. It is the second mod on the bike. The first being my grips..

cheers man!
    Hanging in a better place

Very Active Member

LaMonster,
    I'm considering this license plate mode for my M and was wondering if you had some pics using the DLP bracket with factory lights? I think using the factory turn signals (most likely cut down and with clear lenses) would be a pretty good style.

Thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by 57 Chevy Man
    LaMonster,
    I'm considering this license plate mode for my M and was wondering if you had some pics using the DLP bracket with factory lights? I think using the factory turn signals (most likely cut down and with clear lenses) would be a pretty good style.

Thanks for the info!
    Several people have had problems using the factory signals on the DLP plate kit. Apparently they stock signals are too heavy, and will eventually cause the mounting tabs to crack or break off. Your best bet is to ditch the stock signals if you plan on doing this mod.

Several people have had problems using the factory signals on the DLP plate kit. Apparently they stock signals are too heavy, and will eventually cause the mounting tabs to crack or break off. Your best bet is to ditch the stock signals if you plan on doing this mod.
    After 6 months of riding, the tabs on my old DLP bracket started to crack with the OEM signals also. Ordered the thicker steel version (http://www.directlineparts.com/produ...0&ID=888959426), lopped an inch off with the Dremel and re-drilled the mounting holes to relocate the new bracket closer to the back end. This new DLP version will have no problems with the weight of the OEM signals.

Very Active Member

Eventhough they are bigger, I think the factory signals look pretty sharp. Thanks for the suggestion on using the different plate mount.

i went with these signals. mounts easy and wires go through a hollow bolt. BRIGHT as all get out too..

Do you know other web site different DLP where I can buy this license plate bracket DLP is TERRIBLE with international orders? I really need this bracket

Quote Originally Posted by 1st M109R MEXICO
    Do you know other web site different DLP where I can buy this license plate bracket DLP is TERRIBLE with international orders? I really need this bracket
    email me.. i'll sell you mine

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by TonyRumble
    email me.. i'll sell you mine
    Is yours the newer one?

Very Active Member

Does anyone have the length and thread info for the bolts that are suppose to come with the bracket? Mine came without them and I am halfway done with the install but I purchased the wrong bolts last night.

I have ordered one of these brackets also but, it took almost two months just for them to send it. I have been told by DLP the hold up was that the manufacurer was redesigning the bracket to make it more duable. due to the cracking problem. I'm hoping it is better when I get it because I will be running factory signals on it.

Very Active Member

I don't think this new bracket will have that problem, it seems plenty stout.

For those that retained the stock signals, how did you line them up? When tightening mine down I noticed this to be an issue, so any thoughts would be appreciated.

Very Active Member

very helpful How To, but, a couple of things regarding the new relocating plate:

1. Mine came with standard mounting bolts, had to go buy metrics. No biggy, mostly an annoyance. Not sure what the spacer nut is for with the old style plate but mine seemed to fit better and felt stronger without it so I left it off.

2. The new design puts the plate much closer to the tire, if you plan to use the LED bolts, they are a pain in the . IMO, they are not worth the money or effort, the leads are short and brittle, and one of the wires on mine came completely off with no way of being fixed. So I've got a $15 set of license plate bolts..... If you are inexperienced with wiring (as I am) don't get these. I plan to get one of the lighted frames, looks like they will fit just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by spyder207

For those that retained the stock signals, how did you line them up? When tightening mine down I noticed this to be an issue, so any thoughts would be appreciated.
    After removing the large washer with the diamond shape from the signals, I eyeballed them to line up with the top edge of the plate, then elongated the hole using a drill bit and used a thin flat file to flatten the top and bottom edges, then a rat tail to smooth out the rounded portions. Was strictly trial and error and took a few times to get it, but it worked fairly well.