Reinstalling driveshaft to u-joint
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reinstalling driveshaft to u-joint

Default Reinstalling driveshaft to u-joint

Print version https://www.m109riders.com/howto/ujoint/

This has to be the hardest job to do if you try and stab it from the back of the swingarm. If you can do it that way you need to go buy a lotto ticket because you are one lucky guy. This is how I had to do it and so did a another member here.

First thing you need to do is to pull off the left chrome side covers to access the Secondary Bevel Gears.

Remove the speedometer sensor bolt and remove speedometer sensor and place out of the way.

Remove the four bolts holding the Secondary Gear housing.
    You're going to lose a little oil on this so put something under the bike so you don't make a big mess.

Now just pull the housing towards you and pull out the u-joint.

Now you can bolt the Final Gear Case back up into the swingarm.

Install the u-joint on to the driveshaft. I still had a hard time getting this on so there is no way I could have done it the other way.

Now that you have the u-joint on the driveshaft you need to put the spline back into the gear housing and fish it all back in. What I did was loosen up the Final Gear Case so that it would give me some room to put the case back on. It's a tight fit so you need all the room you can get.

That's pretty much it after that. All you need to do now is put all the bolts back in a tighten them up and you're done. That wasn't so bad was it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member

Default Re: Reinstalling driveshaft to u-joint

yet another awesome tutorial. thanks lamont.
    Current Mods: JR exhaust w/crank evac, Oak Paint, Thunder intakes, PC3, JSD, steel brakelines, hub plate, stealth LCD F & R turns, TrickFlasher, CA clear tailight w/modulator, PIAA HLight w/modulator, ISO grips/spikes/wings/shifter/thottleboss, Pro-1 mirrors, Corbin seat, chrome engine/shaft/swingarm covers

Very Active Member

:read: Nice

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Great Scoop.

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster
    This has to be the hardest job to do if you try and stab it from the back of the swingarm. If you can do it that way you need to go buy a lotto ticket because you are one lucky guy.
    Hey Lamont,
    Well I must be one lucky bastage because I got the drive shaft to go into the u-joint without having to disassemble it from the front. What I did was I got my mini Mag-Lite and laid it inside the drive shaft tube to I could see the orientation of the end of the u-joint. Then using a long bladed screwdriver I got the end of the u-joint centered in the housing then slowly and carefully slid the drive shaft into the housing, doing my best to keep it centered and once it contacted the u-joint I just jiggled it around a little and it popped right in!!

I'm off to buy my lottery ticket now.

Well it seems that I only "thought" I had stabbed it correctly. I still believe that I got the drive shaft stabbed into the u-joint OK, but the other end of the u-joint had pulled out of the gearbox so I still had to tear apart the primary like Lamont did above to get everything working properly. Take my word for it guys, just do it Lamonts way, it will save you a lot of hassles later. ::)

Very Active Member

Lamont, I had to use this last night. What a great tutorial. Too bad I couldnt read it and had censored read it for me. You guys are awesome...
    Ridin it like I stole it....

Very Active Member tworangerted's Avatar

ttt
    01 Dodge Ram,04 Suzuki SV-650,06 Suzuki M-109r!
    what happens on a hotel bedspread...STAYS...on a hotel bedspread!!!

Very Active Member

Hey what happened to the pics. I sure would like to see what you are talking about here.

Quote Originally Posted by macshooter
    Hey what happened to the pics. I sure would like to see what you are talking about here.
    I'm pretty sure it is when Frapper "crashed" and ate up alot of pics.

HD ETR

I saved it in pdf format, if you need a copy just send me a email address. I will be glad to send you a copy.

hate to bring up an old post but i had to do this tonight myself and was able to pull back the boot and sneak a thin blade screwdriver behind the u-joint and hold it centered while i stabbed the shaft back in. took a few attempts and some fool language but got it in.

Quote Originally Posted by lovethetwins
    hate to bring up an old post but i had to do this tonight myself and was able to pull back the boot and sneak a thin blade screwdriver behind the u-joint and hold it centered while i stabbed the shaft back in. took a few attempts and some fool language but got it in.
    Did you buy a Lotto ticket?

I struggled trying to put the shaft in through the back while trying to hold the uni joint with a screw driver and a couple of hours later and a lot of swearing I thought about doing by removing the gear housing but wasn't sure until I searched and found this post

Yep.... That's it.... Followed all these instructions and it wasn't too hard at all...

Oh.... what's that on the ground? The mother F er rubber boot

Removed the gear housing again and slipped in the rubber boot and now I can't get the arse of a thing back on :realmad:

Going out to try again now

Default U Joint phasing

Is it necessary to note the exact position of the Universal joint on the shaft splines or the exact position of the mating of the universal and the secondary gearcase splines and re assemble that way ( yoke phasing issues) ? or does it not matter so long as it all mates up and slides in fine ?
    Skin deep.

Hi Skin
    I have gone through the MANUAL, there is nothing in there about lining up the u-joint with the actual output shaft.It might have been a good idea if SUZUKI did put a master spline to sort out some if any miss alignment issues.Well it's after 12 I am off to bed .................
    Life is what you make of it!

Ok people this is really very easy and no you dont need a lotto ticket or take it apart. First find a older thick heavy wire coat hanger you have hanging around lol. Bend one end into a u shape. The purpose is to use the bent end like a saddle to hold up the splined part of the u-joint. Stick it through the rubber boot side and have the spline part of the u-joint setting on the bent part of the wire. Know line the u-joint so its as close to center as you look up into the shaft housing. When you think you have it centered as close to centered as possible hook the other end of the wire to what ever you like so it stays in that position or have someone help hold it. Now hold the hub in your lap and slowly move it into the housing. Go slow til you feel it touch the u-joint, as it touchs the u-joint slightly turn the drive gear as you push it into the joint. Bolt it up and your done, takes about a minute or two. Make sure you grease the splines so it slides into the u-joint easily.
    Last edited by seadog; 11-29-2008 at 11:30 AM.
    Ride Safe!

Quote Originally Posted by seadog View Post
    Ok people this is really very easy and no you dont need a lotto ticket or take it apart. First find a older thick heavy wire coat hanger you have hanging around lol. Bend one end into a u shape. The purpose is to use the bent end like a saddle to hold up the splined part of the u-joint. Stick it through the rubber boot side and have the spline part of the u-joint setting on the bent part of the wire. Know line the u-joint so its as close to center as you look up into the shaft housing. When you think you have it centered as close to centered as possible hook the other end of the wire to what ever you like so it stays in that position or have someone help hold it. Now hold the hub in your lap and slowly move it into the housing. Go slow til you feel it touch the u-joint, as it touchs the u-joint slightly turn the drive gear as you push it into the joint. Bolt it up and your done, takes about a minute or two. Make sure you grease the splines so it slides into the u-joint easily.
    Look at all the Bold area.. Seadog I like your way the most.. It got me excited and moist all over...

Honey!!! Im coming up!!.... get ready for me...

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Print version https://www.m109riders.com/howto/ujoint/

This has to be the hardest job to do if you try and stab it from the back of the swingarm. If you can do it that way you need to go buy a lotto ticket because you are one lucky guy. This is how I had to do it and so did a another member here.

First thing you need to do is to pull off the left chrome side covers to access the Secondary Bevel Gears.

Remove the speedometer sensor bolt and remove speedometer sensor and place out of the way.

Remove the four bolts holding the Secondary Gear housing.
    You're going to lose a little oil on this so put something under the bike so you don't make a big mess.

Now just pull the housing towards you and pull out the u-joint.

Now you can bolt the Final Gear Case back up into the swingarm.

Install the u-joint on to the driveshaft. I still had a hard time getting this on so there is no way I could have done it the other way.

Now that you have the u-joint on the driveshaft you need to put the spline back into the gear housing and fish it all back in. What I did was loosen up the Final Gear Case so that it would give me some room to put the case back on. It's a tight fit so you need all the room you can get.

That's pretty much it after that. All you need to do now is put all the bolts back in a tighten them up and you're done. That wasn't so bad was it?

excellent suggestion!!! THANKS

are there any recommendations regarding the spacers and alignment? the mannual says "make sure you have the correct shim in place." How cirtical is it for us to ensure proper alighment?

Default Exhaust in the way?

Quote Originally Posted by BigpapaM109 View Post
    Ignore doing it that way. Many people have supposedly had issues with the secondary leaking afterwards.

We just did Giddyup's and it was simple to do it this way.

The swingarm has a pivot bolt that runs all the way through it. Undo the pinch bolt, use the axle tool and undo the pivot bolt and pull it out. That will allow the swing arm to drop down some, but not a lot. It is still attached by the shock.

Now, slide your hub in. While doing that, pull the ujoint off the secondary and put it on the splines of the hub. Then, put a few of the nuts on the hub bolts where it goes into the swingarm. Lift up the swing arm and when the ujoint touches the secondary, use a towel and sping the hub until you feel it lock in. Then slide the pivot bolt back in, torque down, tighten pinch bolts and you are done. Putting it back in next time, we could have it done in 10 minutes.
    Question, to do it this way, doesn't the exhaust system have to be removed? I'm not sure, that's why I'm asking.
    A man has got to know his limitations... Harry Callahan

Very good point that I didn't think about. Giddyup has the sideburner, so we didn't need to. An extension on the ratchet got us right to the pivot bolt with no problems and it came out and cleared as well. I will look on Mary's bike next time I am at the garage.
    Yes is the answer. The stock exhaust would need to be at least lowered by removing the head bolts to gain access to the pivot axle that connects the swingarm. The problem is you will have absolutly no room to pull the pivot axle out with the stock exhaust in place.

Thanks for the info Ray. I didn't think about it because we all have aftermarket pipes. Mary's are coming off anyway so I can grind the bracket for the down under, so I will put the hub back in first.
    Yeah Harris. I only got aftermarket pipes a few months ago. I always like to look for alternative ways to do things such as the re-install of the hub. With the stock pipes in place, I had to remove the head bolts and loosen the bracket to pull out the pivot axle. In the long run it was easier to just pull the secondary drive. Now with my velocity pros, I will try the new method next time I pull my rear wheel.

After you do it a couple of times it's a piece of cake! I didn't think about the hassle of the stock exhaust though...Good point! With the sideburner the swingarm bolt and pinch bolts are right there exposed.
    "Blaze"

Quote Originally Posted by lostrider View Post
    Yes is the answer. The stock exhaust would need to be at least lowered by removing the head bolts to gain access to the pivot axle that connects the swingarm. The problem is you will have absolutly no room to pull the pivot axle out with the stock exhaust in place.
    but the pipes come off quickly.
    Bang for the Buck Mods link CLICK HERE
    Coming to a city near you..

Default kul thanks

i was working on this today and wasn't sure thanks alot

Very Active Member

What was the cause or symptoms for this proceedure? Was the u joint making noise and is this something to look out for? Just wondering, seems like there is always something new to look out for.

Very Active Member

Default Thanks

I spent an hour trying to put the drive shaft into the U-joint the hard way.....Came into the house and found this Post.......Went out the next day and tried it from the front.....100X easier.....Thanks Lamonster

well

22000 mile snow. I guess i need to take the rear apart and lube it up

Cheers...
    Hanging in a better place

I have seen a lot of different ways on this sight listed to get the u-joint re-installed but decided to just go straight to this route when installing my Coastal Moto wheels. What a great write up! made the whole rear wheel/Ujoint install take 20 minutes (once the stock wheel was off). The info on this sight is great!
    2006 M109R Custom Paint, Coastal Moto Wheels, 280/160 Tires, Lowered 2.25", Corbin Seat, Modded Hard Krome Exhaust, Gregg's Side Plate, Rivco Risers, and more...

Very Active Member

Default Tailshaft Uni Joint.

Been there.Done that ages ago.Easy as.KEZZ.