Reinstalling driveshaft to u-joint - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Reinstalling driveshaft to u-joint

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kazimodo View Post
    figured I had something ......guess not ,,,,,,I'll be ready to remove secondary.:berr2:
    I did it once just to see what it's all about. Took me 30 minutes to take the secondary off check everything out and put it back together. Just be careful with that big o ring when putting it back together.........

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

If you loosen the hub nuts to where it's just hanging on, get a couple of towels, one on each side you can work it in. I've done it this way before without removing the hub. I'm also one of the lucky ones that stabbed it and it went right in, happen to me twice once in one of my video when I'm installing the 2 piece swing arm. Should of brought a lottery ticket.
    Mods:New Motor Upgrade/Genesis Rims Mez 280/160 Tires/ 300 Swing Arm/Cobra Swepts/Chrome Spike Filters/Yani Shiki 2" Riser/All Braided Cables/Chromed Entire Handle Bars/Kuryakyn Iso Grips-Iso Boss/S9 Led Kit/Raw Design Led Front/Rear Signals/Corbin Seat/Air Ride/Low And Mean Busa Kit-Front Fender/Gothic Side License Plate/HID Head Light/Heal Tech TRE/Chrome Calipers/Cycle House Down Under Kit.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
    Just be careful with that big o ring when putting it back together.........
    Yeah , I read your post in another thread
    => the pinched o-ring .
    Every Time You Lift Your Tank Beware Of This .

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by some 9 View Post
    If you loosen the hub nuts to where it's just hanging on, get a couple of towels, one on each side you can work it in. I've done it this way before without removing the hub. I'm also one of the lucky ones that stabbed it and it went right in, happen to me twice once in one of my video when I'm installing the 2 piece swing arm. Should of brought a lottery ticket.
    I have the stock exhaust ......
    you are saying the hub can move enough to let me
    turn the 10 inch rim from the hub side whitout
    removing it
    ..I was under the impression that the hub was
    too big to fit in the cavity of the rim on the hub side
    I guess it could depend on the model of the rim
    my rim is the shape of the stock rim , it is a widened rim .
    Last edited by Kazimodo; 02-21-2016 at 11:12 AM.

I have the stock exhaust ......
    you are saying the hub can move enough to let me
    turn the 10 inch rim from the hub side whitout
    removing it
    ..I was under the impression that the hub was
    too big to fit in the cavity of the rim on the hub side
    I guess it could depend on the model of the rim
    my rim is the shape of the stock rim , it is a widened rim .
    Yes have done it with a stock exhaust, its tight put it will go .
    Mods:New Motor Upgrade/Genesis Rims Mez 280/160 Tires/ 300 Swing Arm/Cobra Swepts/Chrome Spike Filters/Yani Shiki 2" Riser/All Braided Cables/Chromed Entire Handle Bars/Kuryakyn Iso Grips-Iso Boss/S9 Led Kit/Raw Design Led Front/Rear Signals/Corbin Seat/Air Ride/Low And Mean Busa Kit-Front Fender/Gothic Side License Plate/HID Head Light/Heal Tech TRE/Chrome Calipers/Cycle House Down Under Kit.

Oh so nice , gotta love all this good info
    can't wait to try ,thanks some 9

Oh so nice , gotta love all this good info
    can't wait to try ,thanks some 9

BTW it's only 5 bolts to remove your stock exhaust
    Last edited by some 9; 02-21-2016 at 03:07 PM.

Ha Ha , there you go Andy, I was convinced on trying the secondary side this time
    and now you remind me how easy it is to remove exhaust , it will get done,
    and I guess I will decide how to do it at the last minute ,

I'm finished thread jacking Lamont's thread now

Ha Ha , there you go Andy, I was convinced on trying the secondary side this time
    and now you remind me how easy it is to remove exhaust , it will get done,
    and I guess I will decide how to do it at the last minute ,

I'm finished thread jacking Lamont's thread now
    Yep 4 bolts at the head and one at the very bottom, servo and bracket stays connected to exhaust

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by some 9 View Post
    BTW it's only 5 bolts to remove your stock exhaust

5 bolts, ONE nut LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
    5 bolts, ONE nut LOL
    I stand corected it actually 6 bolts and 1 nut

What o ring are ya'll talking about pinching? My bikes been apart for awhile now waiting on a new swing arm. I finally got it mostly back together and reading that got me worried.
    I am curious about the fit of the rubber boot on the swing arm. It doesn't seem to be to air tight.

Quote Originally Posted by riderguy View Post
    What o ring are ya'll talking about pinching? My bikes been apart for awhile now waiting on a new swing arm. I finally got it mostly back together and reading that got me worried.
    I am curious about the fit of the rubber boot on the swing arm. It doesn't seem to be to air tight.
    In another thread , Nemo mentionned he pinched the O-ring and he had a leak after that ,
    I'm assuming it is the O-ring in this picture
    there are also some alignement tabs I have read about ,
    you must put them back in same position .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5 enleve U-joint.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	307930  

In another thread , Nemo mentionned he pinched the O-ring and he had a leak after that ,
    I'm assuming it is the O-ring in this picture
    there are also some alignement tabs I have read about ,
    you must put them back in same position .
    Ok. Thanks. After looking at the picture I might have put that boot on backwards. That sucks.
    Thanks for the help.

I spent several hours with the help of my brother and couldn't get the driveshaft to slip back in place with the u-joint. Going to take another stab at it tomorrow but now I have two excellent ways of getting it done. Thanks M109 riders you've come through for me again.

Just put my first rear tire on this beast-my first time with cruiser tires. It was an adventure, first getting the new tire on the rim (lots of sweating and bad words). Then trying to get the tire to seal enough against the beads to hold air and build pressure to seat-finally remembered the "rachet strap trick" (works great btw)-was about to get out the starting fluid! Then installed Dyna Beads-simple but a PITA to keep from plugging up the valve stem. Decided to pull the final drive and moly-lube the splines, figured it would be similar to doing the Rocket-where I was able to wiggle the spline back into place from the back. No go here-which is what lead me to this thread. Thanks to the OP for starting this-looks pretty straightforward when you know what you're doing. Know what I'll be doing tomorrow!

Wow guys! I really appreciated this thread! I was due for my first rear tire change and decided to invest in a bike jack/ stand this past weekend after finding that the predicted service time to complete this job was three hours and 150 bucks at the service garage. After familiarizing myself with the task before me via youtube and this forum, I tackled the job. It seemed that the concensus was that the drive shaft needed to be removed. I did so assuming that it would simply slide back into the u-joint... NOT! SO... THIS THREAD SAVED THE DAY FOR ME! Actually... the next day. I needed to step away and start over after struggling for about two or so hours. I thought I had it since everything pieced back together. After buttoning everything back up, I found that the u-joint was turning awkwardly offset inside of the shaft housing. So... after disassembling everything and executing the information provided in this thread, I managed to accomplish successful reassembly. What I am concluding for the next tire change is that the drive shaft doesn't need to be completely disengaged from the u-joint. I found that with the shaft housing nuts being backed out and the driveshaft being slid out of the housing no more than a half inch will allow just enough clearance to back the stock 240 out and back in after the tire change. That being said, obviously I had to remove the secondary and as aforementioned follow the instructions provided here. I ended up placing the driveshaft into the housing, placing it into the u-joint at the secondary end (leaving about a quarter inch gap between the shaft housing and hub bolt tips). I was careful to make sure that the u-joint was angled properly to receive the secondary connection at that end. After all of this I reflected on the significance of this forum and the value of the wisdom offered here. Thank all of you who contributed to my ability to accomplish this job!

Quote Originally Posted by Doug357 View Post
    Wow guys! I really appreciated this thread! I was due for my first rear tire change and decided to invest in a bike jack/ stand this past weekend after finding that the predicted service time to complete this job was three hours and 150 bucks at the service garage. After familiarizing myself with the task before me via youtube and this forum, I tackled the job. It seemed that the concensus was that the drive shaft needed to be removed. I did so assuming that it would simply slide back into the u-joint... NOT! SO... THIS THREAD SAVED THE DAY FOR ME! Actually... the next day. I needed to step away and start over after struggling for about two or so hours. I thought I had it since everything pieced back together. After buttoning everything back up, I found that the u-joint was turning awkwardly offset inside of the shaft housing. So... after disassembling everything and executing the information provided in this thread, I managed to accomplish successful reassembly. What I am concluding for the next tire change is that the drive shaft doesn't need to be completely disengaged from the u-joint. I found that with the shaft housing nuts being backed out and the driveshaft being slid out of the housing no more than a half inch will allow just enough clearance to back the stock 240 out and back in after the tire change. That being said, obviously I had to remove the secondary and as aforementioned follow the instructions provided here. I ended up placing the driveshaft into the housing, placing it into the u-joint at the secondary end (leaving about a quarter inch gap between the shaft housing and hub bolt tips). I was careful to make sure that the u-joint was angled properly to receive the secondary connection at that end. After all of this I reflected on the significance of this forum and the value of the wisdom offered here. Thank all of you who contributed to my ability to accomplish this job!
    You removed the secondary drive to change the tire? I just had my rear rim off with out removing anything extra, I found it was an easy job to do lol

Same here never had to remove any part of the drive to replace the tyre even with the 260

Quote Originally Posted by Doug357 View Post
    There are a number of posts in the forum that have a link to the service manual. I would download it. You shouldn't have had to remove the driveshaft to take the tire off with that tire size.

Here is a link to one of them.
    new owner https://www.m109riders.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=347328
    Last edited by UVATom; 08-14-2019 at 05:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UVATom View Post
    There are a number of posts in the forum that have a link to the service manual. I would download it. You shouldn't have had to remove the driveshaft to take the tire off with that tire size.

Here is a link to one of them.
    new owner https://www.m109riders.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=347328
    You don't even need the service manual. The owner's manual that came with the bike, on page 6-42, explains how to do it.