M109 Rider Forums banner

Kuryakyn Grip Install

80K views 208 replies 129 participants last post by  sssportsmfg 
#1 · (Edited)
I ordered the 6235 ISO Grips and the 6250 Throttle Boss. The 6235 comes with 2 grips, glue, instructions, and a small plastic tube about 1.5" long and 1" in diameter. NOTE: The new grips do not come with an allen wrench to remove the end caps.

Heres a picture of what you will end up with afterwards just for reference (note, old clutch grip is not in picture, I had already thrown it out)

Throw out the 1.5" plastic tube, it is not needed and just confused me at first. I also threw out the glue and used Gorilla Glue. I wanted a little more time before it set.

Throttle Side NEW Grip that has a plastic tube fixed into it.

1) Tap off chrome end cap. I used a flat blade screw driver and hammer and very lightly tapped. It comes off pretty easy.
2) Loosen the throttle cable adjuster and remove the 2 screws in this pic:

3) Remove the lower half of the starter switch cover and set aside
4) Remove the Philips head screw to completely remove the starter switch assy (NOTE: I do not have a pic of this but it's pretty easy to figure out once you complete step 3)
5) Lift off the starter switch and push to the side
6) At this point you will see where the throttle cables hook into the throttle. If you look at the second pic at the top of this thread you will see the end of the throttle tube. You should be able to pull the throttle cable out of the hooks. I used a small pair of smooth needle nose pliers. If you loosened the cable up in step 2 this should be pretty easy. I removed the rider side first and then the brake handle side.
7) Remove the old grip.
8) Slide on NEW Grip
9) Re-hook the brake side cable
10) Re-hook the rider side cable (this one was a bit of a pain but if you take your time it should pop back in)
11) Re-assemble the starter switch assy. 1 screw, then the 2 screw cover plate on the bottom.
12) Re-Tighten the throttle cable.

At ths point I installed the Throttle Boss.
1) Remove the NEW grip end cap via the 4 allen head screws
2) Install the Boss between the handle and the trim ring.
3) Using the 4 longer screws (provided with the boss) lightly tighten the end cap
4) Adjust the boss to a comfortable position
5) Tighten the 4 allen head screws

Step back and compare the old vs new:

Clutch Side, NEW Grip that does not have a plastic tube in it:
1) Cut off the old grip with a sharp knife.
2) Using a flat blade screw driver or a large open end wrench and a hammer lightly tap off the end cap. It comes off pretty easy so just tap it off.
3) Remove the chrome trim ring
4) Clean off the old glue. I used a little alcohol and some sandpaper.
5) Remove the end cap from the new grip. Use an allen wrench and remove the 4 screws from the end.
6) Apply glue to inside of NEW grip. You should apply the glue to what will be the "inside edge" of the grip so that as you push it on the glue slides down the rest of the inside. I used Gorilla Glue so that it would give me a little more time to set it on.
7) Slide grip on and align the rubber where you want it. I set the rubber grip on the top and bottom, it felt most comfortable and matched the alignment of the throttle side.
8) Wipe out any excess glue from the end of the grip
9) Re-install the End cap using the 4 allen head screws.

Stand Back and look at the new grips:

EDIT: Apologies to anybody looking for the pictures. I haven't been here in ages and had killed the old host I was using. These should be good for a long while.

See less See more
#3 ·
Installed the iso grips last night, took about 45 minutes start to finish. Start on the throttle handle first as that side is the fixed side for the rotation of the grip.
Loosen the throttle cable, take out the 2 screws that hold the control module in place and remove the rear return cable first. After that the other cable basically falls out. Install the new grip, setting the forward cable in place first and then set the rear cable in place. Reinstall the controller screws with a little blue thread lock and then readjust the throttle cable. I would also start the bike to make sure you have not tightened the throttle cable to much causing the bike to rev.

Once you have finished the throttle grip, pop off the left bar end (it's only a plastic piece held in place by friction) then slip a long thin flat head screw driver under the grip and work the old grip off. The plastic ring by the headlamp switch will slid right off. Take some 200-300 grit sand paper and remove all the left over glue and to roughen up the handle bar for better glue adhesion.

I found the the little sleeve that fits inside the left grip needs to be cut at 3/16" to 1/4" in length and then inserted into the end of the grip. Test fit the grip to make sure you have it set in the correct position. I aligned the grip to match the throttle grip and place a piece of tape on the headlight controller as a reference when I put the grip on permanently. Wipe off the handle bar with alcohol and then apply the glue supplied with the grip. Start to slide the new grip onto the handle bar and don't stop rotating and pushing the grip until you are satisfied with it's position. Once you stop pushing/rotating the glue will set up almost immediately.

Good luck and enjoy the new feeling. A great improvement.

#194 ·
Installed the iso grips last night, took about 45 minutes start to finish. Start on the throttle handle first as that side is the fixed side for the rotation of the grip.
Loosen the throttle cable, take out the 2 screws that hold the control module in place and remove the rear return cable first. After that the other cable basically falls out. Install the new grip, setting the forward cable in place first and then set the rear cable in place. Reinstall the controller screws with a little blue thread lock and then readjust the throttle cable. I would also start the bike to make sure you have not tightened the throttle cable to much causing the bike to rev.

Once you have finished the throttle grip, pop off the left bar end (it's only a plastic piece held in place by friction) then slip a long thin flat head screw driver under the grip and work the old grip off. The plastic ring by the headlamp switch will slid right off. Take some 200-300 grit sand paper and remove all the left over glue and to roughen up the handle bar for better glue adhesion.

I found the the little sleeve that fits inside the left grip needs to be cut at 3/16" to 1/4" in length and then inserted into the end of the grip. Test fit the grip to make sure you have it set in the correct position. I aligned the grip to match the throttle grip and place a piece of tape on the headlight controller as a reference when I put the grip on permanently. Wipe off the handle bar with alcohol and then apply the glue supplied with the grip. Start to slide the new grip onto the handle bar and don't stop rotating and pushing the grip until you are satisfied with it's position. Once you stop pushing/rotating the glue will set up almost immediately.

Good luck and enjoy the new feeling. A great improvement.[/QUOTE

Stretch, just to add a little to your post, take a LONG fairly small Allen key, push it straight into and under the rubber of the grip, then use the L end and rotate it, it will walk itself all the way around the grip under the rubber breaking the glue loose.

#4 ·
I used the same grips and only have one question:

I didn't use the plastic sleeve that came with the new grips, nor did I replace the plastic sleeve that was in the stock grip. Should I have used either one? Everything fits and works fine.

Best $50.00 upgrade out there in my opinion.

#113 ·
ISO grip

I used the same grips and only have one question:

I didn't use the plastic sleeve that came with the new grips, nor did I replace the plastic sleeve that was in the stock grip. Should I have used either one? Everything fits and works fine.

Best $50.00 upgrade out there in my opinion.
Why can't you use the original plastic sleeve of the grip. Would it nor be faster just to put on the grips and glue them on without having to pull off the throttle assembly

#6 ·
Just started to put my new grips on today, and those bastards at the factory (or the dealer, while they "prepped" the bike) decided to overtighten one of the phillips on the throttle side screws, so I stripped it. Now I have to remove the screw before I can continue with this mod. Hopefully I can find another screw in my garage to put back in there.

I also purchased the brake and clutch pedal covers. It is pretty weak how the instructions from Kuryakyn tell you to use electric tape to make a good fit, and then glue the peg cover the the peg. That is quite a cheesy way of installing a peg. Also, the little allen screw is worthless in securing the peg cover to the peg. Not too impressed with that product. The peg cover won't stay secure and I am not sure how I will solve this, except drilling a hole in the peg itself for the allen screw to go into.

Hopefully the grips work out better.

G
#7 ·
Just started to put my new grips on today, and those bastards at the factory (or the dealer, while they "prepped" the bike) decided to overtighten one of the phillips on the throttle side screws, so I stripped it. Now I have to remove the screw before I can continue with this mod. Hopefully I can find another screw in my garage to put back in there.
Me too. Now I'm stuck with a half disassembled bike and no way to get the screw out. How did you get it out on yours?

#191 ·
It's because the screw is SS and the threads are aluminum, differential metals sometimes don't play well together. It's called galvanic corrosion. It happens even though the two materials are basically considered non-rusting. When you are going to take something apart on things like bikes, always spray some kind of penetrant and let it sit for a while before you try to take it out. Also clean all the lube off the head of the screw so the Allen key doesn't slip in the socket. Use never seize when you put them back together.

I just put the Kuraykn grips on my Volusia and my screws were locked up also. The tube is to take up any difference in the length of the grip and how much handle bar length you have to work with. On my bike I had to cut a piece and insert it as the mirrors were pinned on and I could not move them up the bar to allow the grip to fully slide on. It is just a user cut to length spacer piece. You are supposed to calculate the difference of how much bar you have from the control to the end of the bar and how much depth you have in the grip and cut the piece to take up the difference.

Marty

#8 ·
The screw that gave me trouble was not crucial and I could still use the bike. But I wound up using a screw-removal bit that was slightly smaller in diameter than the screw and carefully drilled up into the screw which eventually made it break apart. Found a very similar screw at a hardware store to replace it with. No problem.

G
#9 ·
At least you guys are smart enough to install the throttle side first so that you can get the design of the grips to align symmetrically. Seen some installs that don't quite look right. Those must be the people who drink the kool-aid.

#12 ·
The cable was adjusted properly. Ive been thinking all day and I know what I did wrong. I nicked the handle bar just a little bit while taking of the end cap on the stock grip. That is what is causing the sticking. I'm going to take the grip back off and smooth out the handle bar. I hope I didn't ruin the rubber on the inside of the grip. If so I will have buy another set. Thank you for attempting to help, hopefully it wont be a fifty dollar lesson. This is my first bike and needless to say I've got alot to learn. This site has been a tremendous help.

#13 ·
Thanks for the how to, really made the job easy. I used the Gorilla glue you recommended and it worked great. But how do you get it off of place you don't want after it dries. There's some on the handle bar between the grip and signal housing and on the side of the signal housing. I think I used a little too much. :redfaced:

#15 ·
Darn Phillips screw tricked me too.
I do not know how they managed to tighten it soo much without ripping off the head.
Now I am here with a screw that does not budge.

I think some WD40 and maybe hammering a slit into it might give a better angle of attack...
We will see.

#16 ·
I used the screwdriver and pliers in the, ahem,..."tool kit" to remove the screws :redfaced: I pushed up on the screwdriver handle as hard as I could with the palm of my hand and turned the screwdriver with the pliers. It made a popping noise when it let go, kinda like the bolts do that hold the cowl/pillion seat on. There's no way in heck that screw should have had that much torque applied to it ::) I also dremeled the teet off of the headlight/blinker assembly and moved it so I could turn the clutch handle up a little without hitting the "pass" button. It's been like that for a couple months and hasn't worked loose yet :D

#18 ·
This will be my first mod. I loved these grips on my previous bike. The throttle body worked great for my long bike trips. Thanks for the step by step instructions. They are as good as the one on my previous bike's forum.

#19 ·
I just did mine tonight. Great directions.

1 thing. I used the glue that came with it. Unless you are really weak it is fine. It did not set instantly. It's about 70 degrees here now, I dont know if that helpoed.

I did use a little tape on the control so I knew where to line up the left grip.
Just be sure you removed ALL the old glue and the new grip should go right on

Sledzep

#20 ·
Instead of using tape thats what that little throw away tube is just cut a small piece off and your grips will have the right lenght install.. i used a tape measure in the old grip from end to opening then did the same on the kurys the difference is what i cut that little piece of tubing worked perfectly.

#21 ·
One little tip that might be helpful:

Not only loosen the throttle adjuster, but turn it all the way INSIDE the throttle box.
So the throttle cable will come really loose and it will be no problem to remove it.

After the install just turn the throttle adjuster back to its old position (as visible in the pictures above) around 1 cm from
the throttle box.

#24 · (Edited)
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.