Kuryakyn Grip Install - Page 7
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Kuryakyn Grip Install

Default ISO GRIP INSTALL

This install took me forever but i finally realized what i was doing wrong...there is a small notch under the housing if the housing doesnt align with this notch you will never get the cables to fit into the cable notches.....thought that might help someone

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Default Awesome.... Thank you !!!!

I installed the Kuryakyn 6345 ISO Black grips today...... with the help of this thread/instructions, it went fairly easy. The one short screw was pretty tight, but with a little elbow grease it come out without too much issues.

Reinstalling the "rider side throttle cable" wasn't the easiest until I grabbed a 3rd hand to hold the throttle wide open and then I could easily reinstall the cable. Added the Kuryakyn Throttle Boss and everything worked without any additional adjustments. Kuryakyn and Suzuki must have worked out some of the previous quality issues talked about in this thread.

I used the glue that came with the Kuryakyn ISO kit and after two dry attempts, slid the clutch side grip into place. (it was tight, but it went). Within 15-20 seconds of sliding it on, it was not moving again.

Anyways, just wanted to say thank you to everyone !!!

"If you're not doing what you love, then you're wasting your time."

Pics??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Debeavered, Debadged, Ultimate Seat, Suzuki Crash Bars, Plate relocation, Cobra Swepts with monster baffles, Duck Covers, RIS Design grips and pegs, Cobra Power Pro, Yana Shiki kickstand

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

This is going to be my next mod so I am glad to find this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by PTATCCSCS View Post
    Pics??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Sorry, I didn't take pics during the install.

https://www.m109riders.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=321930

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20161023_163249.jpg 
Views:	328 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	339114

"If you're not doing what you love, then you're wasting your time."

Very Active Member biker-chicky's Avatar

Default Kuryakyn Grip Install

I'm so thrilled to be gifted these grips from Stillfree , thank you again for these Kuryakyn Iso-Grips

After a second look, these grips are not like the original post type of grip. Ya, no glue. Lol lots has changed since first production

I have been reading the thread. I will need to use glue. I have looked in the shop manual as well. My gutt tells me that if I want to use these mirrors, then I should do both projects at the same time since I will be needing to rerouted the wires from the fork signal lights to the mirrors? I do not want the signal lights on the forks. I Want to use the spots where the stock signals are on the forks for small powerful hyway lights.

Should I wait till I have the mirrors to do the grips?

https://www.customdynamics.com/custo...al_mirrors.htm
    Last edited by biker-chicky; 01-03-2017 at 03:41 PM.

Riders Meet 2018, Nakusp BC. Date ?
    Planning stage. Location secured

LAND OF THE LONG WHITE SMOKE CLOUD,.NEW ZEALAND

Glue? For the left grip? Hairspray up the inside of the grip, slide on and wait 20 min for evap. Like chit to a blanket. And why wait, the wires for the mirrors just go with your orig cables down, but a sheath over all of them will look nice.

I used golf club tape to put my last set on. Havent tried the hairspray way yet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SKIDMARK View Post
    Glue? For the left grip? Hairspray up the inside of the grip, slide on and wait 20 min for evap. Like chit to a blanket. And why wait, the wires for the mirrors just go with your orig cables down, but a sheath over all of them will look nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by M109Dreamer View Post
    I used golf club tape to put my last set on. Havent tried the hairspray way yet.

Ya , I did an edit, I have a newer style grip then the first post.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Vegas Meet May 17-24, 2017! Let's bet on a great time!
    https://www.m109riders.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=321882
    Last edited by biker-chicky; 01-03-2017 at 03:45 PM.

LAND OF THE LONG WHITE SMOKE CLOUD,.NEW ZEALAND

Dirt bike riders here swear by it, Finest glue you can get without the mess.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by chadrob30 View Post
    Me too. Now I'm stuck with a half disassembled bike and no way to get the screw out. How did you get it out on yours?
    It's because the screw is SS and the threads are aluminum, differential metals sometimes don't play well together. It's called galvanic corrosion. It happens even though the two materials are basically considered non-rusting. When you are going to take something apart on things like bikes, always spray some kind of penetrant and let it sit for a while before you try to take it out. Also clean all the lube off the head of the screw so the Allen key doesn't slip in the socket. Use never seize when you put them back together.

I just put the Kuraykn grips on my Volusia and my screws were locked up also. The tube is to take up any difference in the length of the grip and how much handle bar length you have to work with. On my bike I had to cut a piece and insert it as the mirrors were pinned on and I could not move them up the bar to allow the grip to fully slide on. It is just a user cut to length spacer piece. You are supposed to calculate the difference of how much bar you have from the control to the end of the bar and how much depth you have in the grip and cut the piece to take up the difference.

Marty

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by SKIDMARK View Post
    Hair spray huh? Who wouda thought? I just put my grips on a week ago, and used 3m weatherstrip glue as I was warned the glue with the grips sets up too fast. You would think they would change it as surely they can read the hundreds of posts dissing the glue they put in with the grips.

Thanks great idea, when I get the 109 I will be getting another set of Kuryakn grips.

Marty

Quote Originally Posted by sssportsmfg View Post
    Hair spray huh? Who wouda thought? I just put my grips on a week ago, and used 3m weatherstrip glue as I was warned the glue with the grips sets up too fast. You would think they would change it as surely they can read the hundreds of posts dissing the glue they put in with the grips.

Thanks great idea, when I get the 109 I will be getting another set of Kuryakn grips.

Marty
    I used the weatherstrip glue to, it's all good, it's designed for gluing rubber and can tolerate the weather and heat. I'm not putting to much faith in hair spray, it can't keep my hair in place, can't see it being that great for my grips!

I just finished putting on free grips from Stillfree after much effort to try and modify a throttle Rocker! I have a thread on the whole experience. I'm sure you would have a good laugh!

KRATOR Throttle Rocker also known as throttle control

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...5&share_type=t

Edit; the link is being funny, hmmm

Last edited by biker-chicky; 04-02-2017 at 02:08 PM.

Very Active Member

[QUOTE=Stretch;448958]Installed the iso grips last night, took about 45 minutes start to finish. Start on the throttle handle first as that side is the fixed side for the rotation of the grip.
    Loosen the throttle cable, take out the 2 screws that hold the control module in place and remove the rear return cable first. After that the other cable basically falls out. Install the new grip, setting the forward cable in place first and then set the rear cable in place. Reinstall the controller screws with a little blue thread lock and then readjust the throttle cable. I would also start the bike to make sure you have not tightened the throttle cable to much causing the bike to rev.

Once you have finished the throttle grip, pop off the left bar end (it's only a plastic piece held in place by friction) then slip a long thin flat head screw driver under the grip and work the old grip off. The plastic ring by the headlamp switch will slid right off. Take some 200-300 grit sand paper and remove all the left over glue and to roughen up the handle bar for better glue adhesion.

I found the the little sleeve that fits inside the left grip needs to be cut at 3/16" to 1/4" in length and then inserted into the end of the grip. Test fit the grip to make sure you have it set in the correct position. I aligned the grip to match the throttle grip and place a piece of tape on the headlight controller as a reference when I put the grip on permanently. Wipe off the handle bar with alcohol and then apply the glue supplied with the grip. Start to slide the new grip onto the handle bar and don't stop rotating and pushing the grip until you are satisfied with it's position. Once you stop pushing/rotating the glue will set up almost immediately.

Good luck and enjoy the new feeling. A great improvement.[/QUOTE

Stretch, just to add a little to your post, take a LONG fairly small Allen key, push it straight into and under the rubber of the grip, then use the L end and rotate it, it will walk itself all the way around the grip under the rubber breaking the glue loose.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by pdpdiamonds View Post
    just youtube it if the pics are not working any more. there's a few fellas out there that has done videos on it. really easy tho. there's a few vid links already in this thread if you check back.

I installed mine in about 30 minutes (didn't have sandpaper to get rid of the old glue)
    You don't need sandpaper to install the clutch side, just use goof off, it will dissolve the old glue. (don't let it drip on your tank!) Also there in NO NEED in my opinion to rough up the chrome either, if you use good glue, the clutch side grip is a TIGHT fit to begin with, even a little glue and it won't move. Just use good glue like 3M weatherstrip glue to give you time to get it slid on and in position before it sets.

Good tips, thanks for sharing, we'll all be styling this summer with happy hands

Just fitted these grips very easy to do by following the good tips and advise on this thread

I just installed an Amazon knockoff. The installation was seamless, no drilling, trimming or filing. The build quality seems very good for the price. I haven't ridden with them yet since the glue on the left is curing. I will compare these with the Kuryaykn ISO on the weekend at the dealer. They are selling those for $132.00 Cdn.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016Z04Y5U...ds=m109r+grips

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-07-27 18.29.39.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	355657

Nice find, looks good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very Active Member JerryAttrick's Avatar

Darn it! Got given the grips and throttle boss for Christmas and tried to fit them just now. Like so many others, couldn't budge the third (short) screw under the throttle side housing. Was applying some major upwards pressure (enough to start leaning the bike over) and applied torque with locking pliers around the screwdriver. End result? I just totally stripped the screw head and nothing budged. Now I'm spewing! Not sure what I'll do next as I don't have an ezi-out or anything.
    Growing old disgracefully... with a black '08 109R2.
    LAC Hi-flow intakes, Bassani pro-street turn-outs, Cobra FMS, Engine bars, De-beavered, 250 E3 rear / 160 Z6 front, Cyclops LED headlight, Slimline indicators, Kury Iso-grips, Iso-wings and Trident mirrors.

Quote Originally Posted by JerryAttrick View Post
    Darn it! Got given the grips and throttle boss for Christmas and tried to fit them just now. Like so many others, couldn't budge the third (short) screw under the throttle side housing. Was applying some major upwards pressure (enough to start leaning the bike over) and applied torque with locking pliers around the screwdriver. End result? I just totally stripped the screw head and nothing budged. Now I'm spewing! Not sure what I'll do next as I don't have an ezi-out or anything.
    Huh, I never had those issues. Im on my secone pair of ISO's

Huh, I never had those issues. Im on my secone pair of ISO's

In my next life I think I want to be you then, lol
    LAC Hi-flow intakes, Bassani pro-street turn-outs, Cobra FMS, Engine bars, De-beavered, 250 E3 rear / 160 Z6 front, Cyclops LED headlight, Slimline indicators, Kury Iso-grips, Iso-wings and Trident mirrors.

Quote Originally Posted by JerryAttrick View Post
    In my next life I think I want to be you then, lol
    I wouldnt say that. I have def jacked some **** up in my years..lol

Very Active Member FlyingCircus's Avatar

I bought one like this in 1978 when I had to take the side cover off my first street bike to change the clutch cable. No way would the screws come out with a regular screw driver without stripping. These work like a charm

https://www.homedepot.com/p/TEKTON-3...2905/205674679

would work well with an easy out as well

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingCircus View Post
    I bought one like this in 1978 when I had to take the side cover off my first street bike to change the clutch cable. No way would the screws come out with a regular screw driver without stripping. These work like a charm

https://www.homedepot.com/p/TEKTON-3...2905/205674679

would work well with an easy out as well
    Thanks mate. I actually have a good impact driver but the bits I had were rubbish and the phillips-head ones of a suitable size were so buggered as to be unusable.

BUT, (and I now have to admit to being a total pratt about this) I had a think and realised I didn't have to remove that third screw. I just fully relaxed the throttle cable and could remove the cylinder ends from the grip. So now the grips are installed and I've taken it for a 50 mile blast over the Rahu saddle to try them out. Wow! What a difference! I think I just want to adjust the throttle boss down slightly but otherwise, I love the new setup!

No pics as I still haven't washed the beast, due to us being on water restrictions here (in the middle of a drought that's been going for about 6 weeks), and I couldn't bear to show you all how grubby my ride is, lol.

I changed my grips to kuryakyn 2 years ago. Just got some 2 inch risers and was installing them by lifting the triple tree. That didn't work so I had to unhook the cables. Clutch side wasn't too bad. I've spent the better part of 3 hours trying to reconnect the cables on the throttle side. I've loosen the throttle adjuster but I get no movement and haven't been able to get the cable mounted. I've pulled has hard as I can with needle nose pliars and I get nothing. I don't know what to try next.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by dbrown View Post
    I changed my grips to kuryakyn 2 years ago. Just got some 2 inch risers and was installing them by lifting the triple tree. That didn't work so I had to unhook the cables. Clutch side wasn't too bad. I've spent the better part of 3 hours trying to reconnect the cables on the throttle side. I've loosen the throttle adjuster but I get no movement and haven't been able to get the cable mounted. I've pulled has hard as I can with needle nose pliars and I get nothing. I don't know what to try next.
    You are installing the risers by "lifting the triple tree?" You should remove the old risers by FIRST loosing the two Allen head cap screws UNDER the top triple tree, THEN loosen the two top caps on the risers holding the handle bars, then take the handle bars out of the original risers and set them on the tank on a soft towel. Then start the cap screws into the new risers with some blue locktight on the screws, run them up until finger tight, THEN put the handle bars back into the risers and snug them down after getting the risers in the proper position, and THEN tighten the new risers down tight, the handle bars will keep the risers in position. DO NOT take the handle bars out of the risers until you have the risers loosened up. and DO NOT tighten the risers until you have the handle bars back into the new risers and snug. This is assuming you are putting one piece oversize risers on, if you are just putting on the small extensions at the top you don't need to loosen your risers under the top triple tree at all. And unless you are going to reroute your cables BEHIND the triple tree and you go 2" over on the risers or extensions you will need longer cables, push/pull throttle, clutch and brake line.

Marty

Quote Originally Posted by sssportsmfg View Post
    You are installing the risers by "lifting the triple tree?" You should remove the old risers by FIRST loosing the two Allen head cap screws UNDER the top triple tree, THEN loosen the two top caps on the risers holding the handle bars, then take the handle bars out of the original risers and set them on the tank on a soft towel. Then start the cap screws into the new risers with some blue locktight on the screws, run them up until finger tight, THEN put the handle bars back into the risers and snug them down after getting the risers in the proper position, and THEN tighten the new risers down tight, the handle bars will keep the risers in position. DO NOT take the handle bars out of the risers until you have the risers loosened up. and DO NOT tighten the risers until you have the handle bars back into the new risers and snug. This is assuming you are putting one piece oversize risers on, if you are just putting on the small extensions at the top you don't need to loosen your risers under the top triple tree at all. And unless you are going to reroute your cables BEHIND the triple tree and you go 2" over on the risers or extensions you will need longer cables, push/pull throttle, clutch and brake line.

Marty
    You have to re route the cables to run under the triple tree for the risers I bought. There is a video of a guy on YouTube doing it. He didn't replace cables. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qb9MfZYq3A
    But my problem is the throttle cable. I can't get the cable closet to the rider connected. There is zero slack in the cable and I need it so I get the metal piece in the handle bar and the cable into the slot.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by dbrown View Post
    You have to re route the cables to run under the triple tree for the risers I bought. There is a video of a guy on YouTube doing it. He didn't replace cables. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qb9MfZYq3A
    But my problem is the throttle cable. I can't get the cable closet to the rider connected. There is zero slack in the cable and I need it so I get the metal piece in the handle bar and the cable into the slot.
    Dbrown precisely what I said, UNLESS you route your cables BEHIND the triple tree you have to get longer ones. Myself I don't want them where they were not intended just to save some money, I got longer cables and kept them in the cable keepers in front of the triple tree. What I didn't understand was your comment about "lifting" the triple tree. Which implied taking the upper triple tree loose.

And you should be able to give it enough slack to get it off the lock and cam on the throttle grip by loosening the adjustment all the way up on the throttle cable, only ONE has adjustment the other is fixed. If you can't get enough slack, then you can take your tank off and give it more slack at the throttle body at the air box, it is on the left side of the bike under the tank.

Marty