Kuryakyn Grip Install - Page 5
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Kuryakyn Grip Install

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by claymohr View Post
    Yes,

The pics.

They are no longer showing on this "how to".

I looked at this thread thinking I could "see" what I needed to do! Anybody have a clue what happened to the pics?

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by twukker View Post
    I looked at this thread thinking I could "see" what I needed to do! Anybody have a clue what happened to the pics?
    just youtube it if the pics are not working any more. there's a few fellas out there that has done videos on it. really easy tho. there's a few vid links already in this thread if you check back.

I installed mine in about 30 minutes (didn't have sandpaper to get rid of the old glue)
    To reach great heights, one must first conquer great depths.
    Arlen Ness Big Sucker Kit - Arlen Ness RADIII Teardrop Mirrors - Cobra Slashdowns - DynoJet PCIII - Kuryakyn ISO - (Parts ready to be installed: Debeaver Kit, GiPro, Factory Pro Shift Kit)

Installed the 6235 grips today approx. 30 minutes.

Had one of those screws strip (even with the warnings and extra care), was able to get the grips on though !

I haven't glued the clutch side yet, it was pretty tight fight, will determine if I need glue in the near future.
    '08 yellow LE

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

I tried that, definately use the glue!!!

Ok so can you take the throttle sleeve out of the 6235's and just slide the grip up on the stock throttle sleeve. I didn't know the universals worked and ordered bike specific. I would rather not have to fool w/ the sleeve if I don't have to.

Anyone

IT'S NOT ABOUT HOW FAST YOU GET THERE, IT'S ABOUT THE RIDE ITSELF. TAKE YOUR TIME AND ENJOY IT!!

Quote Originally Posted by Big-B View Post
    Ok so can you take the throttle sleeve out of the 6235's and just slide the grip up on the stock throttle sleeve. I didn't know the universals worked and ordered bike specific. I would rather not have to fool w/ the sleeve if I don't have to.

Anyone
    There is no throttle sleeve on the stock grips, they are one piece, so if the universals have one you won't need to use it. The bars are 1", so as long as the ID of the universal grips are the same you just slide them on.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
    There is no throttle sleeve on the stock grips, they are one piece, so if the universals have one you won't need to use it. The bars are 1", so as long as the ID of the universal grips are the same you just slide them on.
    Thanks, I sent the 6235's back today in exchange for the 6240's.

IT'S NOT ABOUT HOW FAST YOU GET THERE, IT'S ABOUT THE RIDE ITSELF. TAKE YOUR TIME AND ENJOY IT!!

Quote Originally Posted by jglass4763 View Post
    I tried that, definately use the glue!!!
    DEFINITELY NEED THE GLUE!!!
    "Don't worry about it rider"

That one Man is the secret theme of the entire revelation of God to man through that which is known as the HOLY BIBLE... JESUS CHRIST.

Just put the iso flames on my 09. Part #6261 I believe. Very easy thanks to all the good advice in this thread. Had no problems with any screws. I put the brake lever cable side on first then twist the throttle back and open up the butterflies a little and the rider side cable has adequate room to slip in.

Another little tip. If you're having trouble with the screws, put a dab of valve lapping compound on the tip of your screwdriver. You won't believe how well the screwdriver will bite. It will allow you to input a lot of hand torque without slipping.

Did mine today, here are my $.02.

Don't forget that plastic sleeve. I did not see it and I installed it with it on the throttle side. I did not notice until I tried to put the switch box together. I had to undo it and reinstall it.

And OMG that glue is strong!!!

My dog got to the glue and bit a hole in it and I did not notice and that stuff got all over my hands when I squeezed it. Took me forever to get it off my hands.

My tip: place the glue toward the top of the handle bar like the video above says. I put it on the whole handlebar and it got stuck before i was able to push it up all the way. It does set fast! Thankfully I was able to recover.

All in all it was a simple install easy enough for anyone to do. Just be patient. Even with my headaches it look about 30 minutes,

Thanks everyone.

Guy's whats the trick to get the pictures to come up??!!! I right click on the red X and the click on pictures and nothing!
    Owner of The Rarest M109R, THE 2006 Burple. THE ONE Suzuki Promised, TO NEVER make again!! Do to IT BEING, JUST to FAST for the General PUBLIC!

Quote Originally Posted by TORQ View Post
    Guy's whats the trick to get the pictures to come up??!!! I right click on the red X and the click on pictures and nothing!
    red X means the picture is not there. some glitch with the way the person posted the pic.

What alot of wasted work then, while trying to help, and show us How Too
    Owner of The Rarest M109R, THE 2006 Burple. THE ONE Suzuki Promised, TO NEVER make again!! Do to IT BEING, JUST to FAST for the General PUBLIC!

What alot of wasted work then, while trying to help, and show us How Too
    This thread is from 06. Maybe the O/P needed the space to host other pics or no longer has an account. Could be lots of reasons.

Red face

Perhaps but SUCKS! Sure wish they were there.

Perhaps but SUCKS! Sure wish they were there.
    2011LE, not so stock anymore. Lots of plans, lots of time...

"Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have fed with? That's me..." GT

Very Active Member SilverScreamer's Avatar

Default new write up needed...

I just purcased some ISO Grips from DLP, Ill see about taking new pics and doing a new write up durring the process...
    2006 Silver m109R - Corbin Fairing & Saddlbags - Magellan Maestro 4250 GPS - Kury Iso Grips & Throttle Boss- Breakaway Cruize Control - Suzuki Engine guards -V&H Big Shots- PCIII -Shark 250W Amp - Bottlefed Cannons- JSD-3M - SS Front/Rear Break lines -Factory Pro Shift

anybody have a DIY/How-To remove kury grips??

Quote Originally Posted by SilverScreamer View Post
    I just purcased some ISO Grips from DLP, Ill see about taking new pics and doing a new write up durring the process...
    I look forward to your how to, with pic's that work

I'm debating between the 6235 and the 6240, the 6240 would go on like the ones I put on my virago, very simply.

I just need to confirm that the 6250 throttle boss will work with the 6240's as well as a throttle lock, I'm looking at the 6218, but I see the 6329 looking quite interesting and less intrusive looking. I always wear gloves, so not sure how well the 6285 would work for me... they have a real funky one 6280, it's electro magnetic, and very pricy, but I think it makes the function more complicated.(oh it's for HD's booo, but you touch front or rear brake, or even the clutch and it'll unlock the throttle.)

Oh and for the 6235:
    http://community.cruisercustomizing....588/22960.html

Sure it's not a 9, but other than the screws on the start cover it looks pretty much bang on.
    Last edited by Gold5th; 02-16-2011 at 03:37 AM.

My turn.
    I'm going with the Iso grips also. I installed the throttle side first of course and now the switch housing won't close all the way. I'm pissed!

I think that was is happening is, the part that sticks up where u attach the cables to, is too tall in the switch housing. It pivots on that part and won't allow it to fully close. It also makes the grip stick when you turn it. It won't return.

It will if I take it all apart again to where the housing is hanging lose.
    The model is 6235. Should I sand/grind that plastic piece down?

WELL DAMN! It closed and it sticks now. It's not pivoting on it. Yes i put the return cable back out but it still sticks.
    Last edited by dre319; 06-07-2011 at 09:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dre319 View Post
    My turn.
    I'm going with the Iso grips also. I installed the throttle side first of course and now the switch housing won't close all the way. I'm pissed!

I think that was is happening is, the part that sticks up where u attach the cables to, is too tall in the switch housing. It pivots on that part and won't allow it to fully close. It also makes the grip stick when you turn it. It won't return.

It will if I take it all apart again to where the housing is hanging lose.
    The model is 6235. Should I sand/grind that plastic piece down?
    you have something out of whack. I have the same grips, they fit/work fine.

Of course you do Big B! Your my inspiration for getting them. Lol
    Yeah there must be because even when I open the housing completely open, the return cable works.

It's not until I close it altogether that it binds. Tomorrow is another day and I will mess with it then.

So until then, thx.

Okay so I'm posting this for tech issues I guess.
    Turns out that the throttle grip had an issue fitting. I was able to put the new grip on and once it was on all the way on, it clicked and went on like half a centimeter on some more. There it couldn't go anymore.

I took the grip off to look inside of it and there was no obstruction in it. I ended up grinding down the end of the handle bar a tad and now the new grip spins freely.

So it wasn't the housing at all but the end of the inside of the new Iso grip.
    Just FYI

So I added the grips, stilleto ends and scyth 2 mirrors.

After reading this tread was a little worried. But was able to do the install in about 30 min with no issues. Possibly the new version of the grips is better. I highly recomend getting a impact driver to remove the one screw 2 hits and it was loose.

Thanks for the write up.

2007 M109r Vance & Hines Exhast, Power Commander 3, K&N air filters, 280 on the rear, 160 on the front.

I attempted to install my grips this evening after finishing the Irate Grill but could not get one of the screws off for the life of me. Now my question is; Is it necessary that all three screws are removed? I am having the hardest time removing the one in the middle and its head is stripping. I gave up until I find myself either a screw extractor or a dremmel to make the phillips into a flat head.

Now, although it is past midnight here in Brussels, if someone confirms that it can be done without removing the middle screw, I will get back in the garage and give it another try.

-2008 M109R "The Silver Bullet"
    -2013 HD Road King "The Orange Crush"
    -2015 HD Sportster Iron "TBD"

The two on the outside corners take the controls apart. The one in the middle holds a small plate on that holds the cables in position. It doesn't have to come off to install the grips providing you can get the cables off the old grips, which normally you can. You only need to remove the center screw if you're replacing cables.

Back to the garage.

Quote Originally Posted by dre319 View Post
    My turn.
    I'm going with the Iso grips also. I installed the throttle side first of course and now the switch housing won't close all the way.
    Having same issue ... took it apart twice. I see the little knoby thing sticking up ... but it was together alright with stock grips so it must be something small ... I just can't figure it out ! ! !

EDIT: Disregard - I thought a filed down spot was where the little knoby was supposed to go ... I just had it aligned wrong as there is a drilled hole in the bar for it. Fits and works PERFECT !!!

Thanks for the help SilverSurfer
    Last edited by CDM76; 08-15-2011 at 07:20 PM. Reason: update
    Posted on my BlackBerry Z30.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________________
    And the modding begins ....... Will it EVER end ?\

Default Kuryakyn Iso flame installation

I tried today to instal my new grips that just came in, and also swap my handlebars... i was doing pretty well until i tried to instal the throttle side grips and the housing wouldn't close all the way... i tried pushing it in all the way put it wont align with the stopper on the handlebars... and also when i tried to tighten it anyway.. the throttle wouldn't return...

had to re fix the old one, which i had cut to rip open on the clutch side... so freaking upset right now.. what am i doing wrong?