Kuryakyn Grip Install - Page 4
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Kuryakyn Grip Install

Great "how to".... don't suppose anyone has the pic's to go with it ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Default Grip install

I was hoping to get some advise on how to install some new grips on the 9 but, after reading this forum, I was more confused than helped. I decided against it when I read about all of the throttle cable issues and frozen mounting screws? I don't understand why anyone is fooling with the throttle cables? I found this video that makes this install easy and in under 6 minutes.

Hope it clears up the procedure for you as it did me.

http://community.cruisercustomizing....261/22960.html

This looks very easy now that i've seen this movie.
    thanks.

Kury ISO Grips with Stiletto end caps, Scythe mirrors, Stiletto Pegs, JSD-3M, Roadhouse 4" Slip On Exhaust, Spiked front axle caps

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

But our throttle side installs differently then that video shows.
    Bang for the Buck Mods link CLICK HERE
    Coming to a city near you..

Quote Originally Posted by rynosback View Post
    But our throttle side installs differently then that video shows.
    If it is so different, can someone post some pictures by this "how to".

Thanks.

Kury ISO Grips with Stiletto end caps, Scythe mirrors, Stiletto Pegs, JSD-3M, Roadhouse 4" Slip On Exhaust, Spiked front axle caps

When I do another local members one, I will take some pics. They were on here, but when the site transferred I bet they were lost.

Default Universal Iso Grips

I'm fairly certain these grips are sold in two configurations. The "universal" Iso Grips are designed to use the existing throttle sleeve so you don't have to remove the entire throttle assembly, like the install video shoes and, come in 7/8" or 1" bar diameters.

I have an inquiry in to their tech support site to verify. I think this is the reason some members are getting them installed in 5 minutes and others in an hour?

Default grip size

Am I to understand the 6240 grips will work as well as the 6235 grips? The 6240 says it fits 1 inch bars and when I measure mine it looks to be exactly 1 in. The one sure looks easier to install according to the little video. I called the company I was ordering from and they didn't know for sure.

The only sets that I have put on are the 6235.

I just ordered the 1" Universal 6240s yesterday, My bike is 2 months old, I don't see a reason to repalce the entire throttle assembly. I'll let you know how it work s.

Default 6240 grips

I went ahead and ordered the 6240's also. Hope it works out for us.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by rynosback View Post
    When I do another local members one, I will take some pics. They were on here, but when the site transferred I bet they were lost.
    I have received mine (6235) yesterday. Now only the pictures and I can put them on. I can't wait to get buzy

Default 6240 universal Iso grips installed

Just finished up installing the 6240 1" Universal Iso grips. I followed the video with a few exceptions.

I did not load up the throttle side grip with glue to avoid getting glue under the throttle sleave and I sanded down the ribs on the plastic sleave a bit so that the grip slid on without pulling out the rubber iso inserts. It is a tight fit so not a lot of glue was needed.

30 minutes install time and no screwing around with the cables.

Now if the weather would cut me a break I'd be totally happy. The sun looks good today but temps are in the high twenties, natures ultimate tease.
    Last edited by ironman7325; 12-21-2008 at 02:47 PM. Reason: URL link was not working

Thumbs up

Installed the grips (6235) this afternoon. I must say its real easy if you follow the steps from this thread.
    Of course I also had the burden of that screw , but I bought the impact driver. Gota love that tool
    So my first mod is done

Quote Originally Posted by TazKill View Post
    Installed the grips (6235) this afternoon. I must say its real easy if you follow the steps from this thread.
    Of course I also had the burden of that screw , but I bought the impact driver. Gota love that tool
    So my first mod is done

I too just installed the 6235's. Unfortunately no pics. I didn't expect it to be that easy after reading this thread. I probably had them on in 20 minutes. If any of you need advice or anything, let me know. I am really not that mechanically inclined but found this to be an excellent and easy mod.

are there any pics of the 6235 install or can someone take pics and put arrows of which screws loosen the throttle cables and so on i am a visual person
    "TO PUNISH AND ENSLAVE"

Very Active Member The Orange One's Avatar

Another successful install!!! Thanks to all those who shared thier knowledge and experience.
    Mods....ya...about that...

My 2 cents...

I ordered and installed the 6235 parts on my M109.
    you must loose the 2 screw under the right hand control on each corner.
    There is a 3rd one, also under, but in the middle of this control, this is this screw everybody is talking about as being boring to remove and so on...
    I tried to unlock it and....it fails it was ripping and starting to kill the screw.
    so i don't know why, but i tried to unscrew it with a philips screwdriver, it's a little different than a normal one, and it worked like a charm!
    Maybe i'm lucky, maybe it's a tips...
    maybe some of you could try? :)

I wish I could put this higher on the post because it is that important, but please...please check your grips for fit before you hook everything back up. The end of my new grip had a whole bunch of plastic in it. I hooked everything up and the throttle wouldn't snap back. Went thru all of the cable adjustments trying to figure it out before I took everything off. I unscrewed all 3 of the screws and slid the grip a half inch down to get some room to work (unhook the cables) and the SOB popped back like it should. So now I have to file and sand down the end of the grip until it doesn't bind on the end of the bars. If I had just test fitted the grip all the way on I wouldn't have had this problem. I slid it on a little, had lots of play and assumed it was all good, WRONG.
    Good thing this isn't riding season here in upstate NY or I would be super super p'd.

Remember test fit and check for plastic goobers in your grip.

For anyone having trouble with crap inside their throttle side grip I have found a solution. I filed away but couldn't get it good enough until I saw something in my toolbox. I took the cap off the end and with a 1" wood drill bit (the kind with a tip and then the 2 "wings" on the side) I slowly eased it in and used that to clear out all of the crap. With the cap off I was able to get all the way to the end (with an extension). Hope that helps.

barrett

Thanks for posts like this! Just got my new grips on.
    08 M109R2, Cobra Swepts, PCIII, Debeaved, Debadged, 2" bones, more to come

Default ISO grip

Quote Originally Posted by FL109er View Post
    I used the same grips and only have one question:

I didn't use the plastic sleeve that came with the new grips, nor did I replace the plastic sleeve that was in the stock grip. Should I have used either one? Everything fits and works fine.

Best $50.00 upgrade out there in my opinion.
    Why can't you use the original plastic sleeve of the grip. Would it nor be faster just to put on the grips and glue them on without having to pull off the throttle assembly

Took me about 30 minutes to get mine on. Much easier than I expected it to be. I also put on the Lamonster bar ends. They look a little more meaty than Kury caps.

Quote Originally Posted by rgreen24 View Post
    Why can't you use the original plastic sleeve of the grip. Would it nor be faster just to put on the grips and glue them on without having to pull off the throttle assembly

"Just finished up installing the 6240 1" Universal Iso grips. I followed the video with a few exceptions.

I did not load up the throttle side grip with glue to avoid getting glue under the throttle sleave and I sanded down the ribs on the plastic sleave a bit so that the grip slid on without pulling out the rubber iso inserts. It is a tight fit so not a lot of glue was needed.

30 minutes install time and no screwing around with the cables."
    "
    Never underestimate old age and treachery"

Default * BUMP * - What happened to the pics!?!?!

Yes,

The pics.

They are no longer showing on this "how to".

Very Active Member

i think i got jypped on the glue, the vid shows two

I only found one

Very Active Member BiggerStretch's Avatar

my glue was dried up solid .... I used my own crazy glue from my other hobbies.

managed to get my factory glued on grip off without cutting it , just ran a long screw driver under it.....
    This has been the official view of the voices in my head.

Hello all,

I installed the Kuryakun 6235 ISO Grips with the help of Felix T Cat instructions below with a few additions:

I ordered the 6235 ISO Grips and the 6250 Throttle Boss. The 6235 comes with 2 grips, glue, instructions, and a small plastic tube about 1.5" long and 1" in diameter. NOTE: The new grips do not come with an allen wrench (3/32) to remove the end caps.

Heres a picture of what you will end up with afterwards just for reference (note, old clutch grip is not in picture, I had already thrown it out)

Throw out the 1.5" plastic tube, it is not needed and just confused me at first. I also threw out the glue and used Gorilla Glue. I wanted a little more time before it set.

Throttle Side NEW Grip that has a plastic tube fixed into it.

1) Tap or twist off chrome end cap. I used a flat blade screw driver and hammer and very lightly tapped. It comes off pretty easy.
    2) Loosen the throttle cable adjuster and remove the 2 screws in this pic:

3) Remove the lower half of the starter switch cover and set aside
    4) Remove the Philips head screw to completely remove the starter switch assy (NOTE: I do not have a pic of this but it's pretty easy to figure out once you complete step 3)
    5) Lift off the starter switch and push to the side
    6) At this point you will see where the throttle cables hook into the throttle. If you look at the second pic at the top of this thread you will see the end of the throttle tube. You should be able to pull the throttle cable out of the hooks. I used a small pair of smooth needle nose pliers. If you loosened the cable up in step 2 this should be pretty easy. I removed the rider side first and then the brake handle side.
    7) Remove the old grip.
    Slide on NEW Grip
    9) Re-hook the brake side cable
    10) Re-hook the rider side cable (this one was a bit of a pain but if you take your time it should pop back in)
    11) Re-assemble the starter switch assy. 1 screw, then the 2 screw cover plate on the bottom.
    12) Re-Tighten the throttle cable.

At ths point I installed the Throttle Boss.
    1) Remove the NEW grip end cap via the 4 allen head screws
    2) Install the Boss between the handle and the trim ring.
    3) Using the 4 longer screws (provided with the boss) lightly tighten the end cap
    4) Adjust the boss to a comfortable position
    5) Tighten the 4 allen head screws

Step back and compare the old vs new:

Clutch Side, NEW Grip that does not have a plastic tube in it:
    1) Cut off the old grip with a sharp knife or insert flat head screw driver and spray WD40 inside. Twist off easily.
    2) Using a flat blade screw driver or a large open end wrench and a hammer lightly tap off the end cap. It comes off pretty easy so just tap it off.
    3) Remove the chrome trim ring. You may have to spray WD40 on it.
    4) Clean off the old glue. I used a little alcohol and some sandpaper.
    5) Remove the end cap from the New grip. Use an allen wrench (3/32) and remove the 4 screws from the end.
    6) Apply glue to inside of NEW grip. You should apply the glue to what will be the "inside edge" of the grip so that as you push it on the glue slides down the rest of the inside. I used Gorilla Glue so that it would give me a little more time to set it on.
    7) Slide grip on and align the rubber where you want it. I set the rubber grip on the top and bottom, it felt most comfortable and matched the alignment of the throttle side.
    Wipe out any excess glue from the end of the grip
    9) Re-install the End cap using the 4 allen head screws.

Uses for the end caps from the OLD grips:

1. Use to cover the left rear axle. Fits perfectly.

Stand Back and look at the new grips:

Default Install SPIKED front axle caps - billet chrome

Hello all,

I installed the M109 SPIKED front axle caps-billet chrome type. Very simple to do.

1. Notice that the diameter of the circular sides of the caps are of different sizes.
    2. The smaller diameter cap is for the LEFT and the larger diameter for the RIGHT.
    3. Use SUPER CLEAR Silicone Gasket Maker Type 7.
    4. Spread a thin layer of silicone onto the underside of the SPIKED front axle caps.
    5. Install SPIKED axle caps on each side.
    5. Let silicone set for 12 - 24 hours.
    6. Enjoy the ride!!!!
    Last edited by PBS1914; 07-29-2009 at 12:38 AM.