Kuryakyn Grip Install - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Kuryakyn Grip Install

Default Re: Kuryakyn Grip Install

Quote Originally Posted by Jemguy
    Well I too have followed in the footsteps of all the great ones before me...and while everything went pretty smooth thanks to the amazing step by step instructions in this post, I too have the binding throttle...I see that a couple of you had less than smooth throttle grip tubes, and while I'm not excited about the idea of playing with those little ferrules again, I have a hunch that's what I'm up against because no matter how I adjust the cable it just wont snap back quite right. It has to be twisted back into place. So, I guess tomorrow night I'll disassemble the throttle grip again and check it out. I'm hoping like heck I see the dreaded rubber drip that some of you have run into.

Thanks for the great help!!!
    I just installed mine and had the similar issue but noticed the throttle works fine with the bars straight but for some reason doesn't snap back all the away sometimes when the bars are turned hard left like it was parked. I haven't attempted to pull it appart yet and look at it for any issues but wondered if there was something different related to the cable.

I also first tried without using any glue on the left side. I road a day like that and it doesn't move much but will twist a little which didn't bother me much but I added some 3M trip adhesive glue because I didn't want to use the rock hard cement like glue they provide. I know if I used their stuff I would find that I didn't put it on perfectly straight and would be mad.

I love the look and feel of these grips though.
    Home made De-beaver, A & R 6K HID, Factory Pro Evo Shift STAR, Suzuki Engine Guard, JSD-3M, Road Burner Velocity Pro 2-1 exhaust, PCIII, Custom Speedo face, Suzuki Billet Engine Cover, Kuryakyn ISO Grips, Smart Man's Grill, Chrome Brake Reservoir, Cobra backrest and rack, Cobra Drive Shaft cover, Rifle Windshield and lowers, Much more to come...

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Well I got the throttle to snap back correctly. I actually took it apart tonight and found a couple of things which might have contributed to the sticking. First, I found that the bar had a couple of nicks in it...very small and I assume they were there from the factory as they were under the grip...nowhere near any tools so I'm sure that I didn't cause them...so I filed those smooth and secondly, in the cable channel area of the grip there was some flash from the molding process. So I filed that all smooth and reinstalled the grip, set the cable and it worked perfectly. I dont know for sure which or if both caused the sticking, but if you're installing these grips I'd suggest you double check the bars for complete smoothness and get rid of any flashing that looks like it could drag on something.

Also, I used the glue that came with the grips. I was nervous because the instruction with the grips make this stuff sound like the fastest setting glue in the history of man kind. Now I will say it is fast, but not so fast that you can push the grip into place and then give it a quick twist to get it set. I'd recommend a dry test fit so you get the feel for how hard it is to push the grip into place and how you want it lined up, but after that, I had no problem pushing the grip on and giving it a quick alignment twist. There is definitely not enough time to mess with it, but there's plenty of time to adjust it if you push it on at least close to how you want it positioned....probably got 5 to 10 seconds before it wont budge.

I hope this helps...this site is THE BEST! THanks to everyone for sharing their knowledge.

June 28, 2008

I'm late!!! Had my 109 since early 2007. I threw those Kurakyn Grips on today (thanks to this post) and it's like a brand new bike!!!

Big thanks for making something this easy, seem easy enough for me to try!!!

XOUTLAW
    Prairieville, LA 70769

2007 Black w/Kuryakyn Grips, Cobra Dragsters, K&N, and a sweet new MAP!!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Installed my grips tonight with 2 long throttle bosses in about 35 minutes. Very easy if you follow the how to and take your time. Phillips screws on throttle were way too tight and broke 1 screwdriver in getting them loose. Other than that was really very easy.

John Glass
    NC

The install how-to is great, but I had to put everything back together until I go get a screw extractor kit tomorrow. What gives with the morons who put these bikes together. I think they're laughing saying "whoever buys this bike is going to catch pure hell trying to get this off" hahahaha.... and then they hit the impact wrench one more time.

Totally stripped the threads on one of the phillips head screws.

Oh well.. I did manage to debeaver, install new turn signals front and rear and tint my tail light.

I should have everything buttoned back up tomorrow once I get the screw out.

Very Active Member

Well the Brown van arrived with a lot of goodies...... and this is one of them.

Will attack this in the week and thanks for the reminders on that screw.......

Live your own life....... everyone else has one!

'07 Red with a "Natural Mystic Blowing Through The Air........."

Mine kind went OK.... WIth one exception....

Here's the short version... lol

Special Thanks to Rodger (RAT's 109) and his buddy!!! I helped a little bit..... lol

https://www.m109riders.com/forum/inde...c,35676.0.html

I put them on the other day, not much too it. I read through the how too on here and all was fine. They are much better then the factory grips thats for sure. Now I need the throttle boss and helmet lock.
    07 M109R White-V&H Bigshots, Holley Air,PCIII,JSD3, CH Clutch, MTC Springs, Debeavered,Iso grips,2.25 bones,Suzuki chrome dshaft cover,Factory Pro shift kit,+2 risers,cleared lights,HID's, Full cut Gel seat.

118hp,113tq More tuning left to do

So are anyone else's grips turning there hands black? Mine are.
    07 M109R White-V&H Bigshots, Holley Air,PCIII,JSD3, CH Clutch, MTC Springs, Debeavered,Iso grips,2.25 bones,Suzuki chrome dshaft cover,Factory Pro shift kit,+2 risers,cleared lights,HID's, Full cut Gel seat.

118hp,113tq More tuning left to do

Very Active Member mudslinger67's Avatar

just installed mine after dinner tonight , came apart and went together just like your instructions said. even took a test drive. grips look and feel great. thanks for your help
    ride it like u stole it

Sweet How-to!!

Might get these for Christmas!!

Hey guys, thanks for the how to on this. I just got done installing these on my bike and being able to reference this helped a lot!

JT

Installed today on 07' Red nine. New to the board. Great instructions! 10 minutes on the Phillips screw...20 minutes total

About to do to my 08 109 but the pictures are gone I've seen them before and I can see all the relply photos. I hope your written instructions are enough. Thanks in advance for the help.
    http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u358/jdub72109/RedRockLineup2-1.jpg?t=1284907295
    2008, Trimmed Beav (I like'm that way), De-Badged, Kury Iso Grips, HF Strip LED, JDub Smart Power Dist, Stebel Horn, OEM; Touring Backrest, Saddlebags and Windshield, Dunnie Elite 3 250,Chrome Derby Cover, more to come.

Well scratch that! The morons at the dealer sold me the wrong grips! The sold me 7/8" grips pn# 6241.

Time to try DLP out.
    http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u358/jdub72109/RedRockLineup2-1.jpg?t=1284907295
    2008, Trimmed Beav (I like'm that way), De-Badged, Kury Iso Grips, HF Strip LED, JDub Smart Power Dist, Stebel Horn, OEM; Touring Backrest, Saddlebags and Windshield, Dunnie Elite 3 250,Chrome Derby Cover, more to come.

Very Active Member

hello all,
    First time post! OMG. thanks for the guide i am not very mechanical at all, and i did it in about 40 mins just really went slow and tried to focus on the parts you all mentioned gave some trouble ( screws and such). I fired up the bike after i installed the throttle side and it didn't seem to stick at all, once complete i started the bike up to show the wife the little mission i did :) and it stuck a bit. I am not sure how to adjust using the screws along the throttle line. ( any help here would be nice). I will definitely spend some more time on that to get it to "snap" back to the forward position. Again i am new to this site and have been reading the posts and all i can say is wow some good guys and posts to help all the 109 riders! thanks :read:

Put ISO Flames on my nine this past week. Pretty easy install....I too struggled with the phillips....

Just put my Kury Flame grips on an hour ago, great most. Much appreciated

Can't get the throttle to snap back. I've readjusted the cable closest to the brake and that doesn't do anything. Feels like the housing is rubbing on the black plastic piece on the grip itself.
    Last edited by usp45x; 08-27-2008 at 10:06 PM. Reason: spelling is your friend

I noticed when installing these that the cables do not like sharp bends in them. Too sharp of a bend and the throttle gets stiffer and won't snap back as well. Also when installing these make sure to do the throttle side first and be absolutly sure you have it adjusted the way you want. Then do the left grip. If not then yuo might not be symetrical. Just my .02

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by usp45x View Post
    Can't get the throttle to snap back. I've readjusted the cable closest to the brake and that doesn't do anything. Feels like the housing is rubbing on the black plastic piece on the grip itself.
    there is probably a lump of glue in theend of it. mine was like that

It seems to only stick when you go wide open, with normal small twists it does snap back. It seems to be fine, so I'm not going to mess with it anymore. It was enough of an ordeal trying to get the problem screw out (screw driver & hammer time).

Thanks for the help.

Default Installed kuryakyn Grips

Hey bro thanks. I followed your step by step directions. Made putting new grips on relatively painless.
    ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
    '07 Chrome rims,Plain Tank Bra,V-Stream Light Tint Touring shield,Kuryakyn grips w/ Throttle Boss, Tail light cover, suzuki gel seats, Drive Shaft and Hub Cover,Front and Rear Caliper Cover, 250mm rear tire,

Default Lamont can you fix the pictures

Can the pictures be fixed that go with this thread.

I am such a visual type of guy
    07 Red (Fastest)-PCIII - V&H Bigshots- Dyno Tune All rev bands-Holley Air Mod-GiPro Red, Factory Pro Shift Kit, Chrome M109 Master Cylinder Cover-Chrome M109 Dust Cover Flames- -K Flame Grips - 2inch Mirror extenders, tank bra, Chrome shaft cover, Gregg Chrome Body covers, -Mobil1 Racing 4T Fully Synthetic 10w-40, Mobil1 Synthetic 75W-90 Rear Oil, -119.49HP-112 Torque

Default Installed kuryakyn Grips

Installed the flame grips tonight and they look awesome. All of the posts helped at 1 point or another.. thank you. M109riders rock!
    oRAnGE 08

Very Active Member Boston M109R's Avatar

i HAD MINE ON AND OFF ABOUT 5 TIMES,,
    I finnally came to the forums and found this thread and found out that I was not the only one pulling his hair out, what I found was 2 (what looked like welded) holes on the bottom of the handlebars , I sanded them sown a bit and I also put a little WD-40 on the bar and wella snapped right back.

07 M109R*CUSTOM FLAME PAINT*COBRA DRAGSTERS*280 W/CHROME 10 INCH RIM*CHROME FRONT RIM/160 *KURY FRONT PEGS* DERBY COVER*CALIPER COVER* SWING ARM COVER *SIDE LICENSE PLATE*HOLLY INTAKES *CUSTOM FRONT/REAR SIGNALS*CUSTOM TAIL LIGHT*LOWERED 2.25

Very Active Member

My grips arrived and I had no problem with them except they are cheap built. cable housing plastic guide broke just touching it. Spent about an our and half filing inside of grip just to make it slide free on bar and to top it all off, I opened the glue they supplied and there was no glue in tube. Maybe just not my day!

Default Need Help installing grips

Hey guys I've read the postings and I still can't seem to get these grips on, For some reason I can't open up the pics and I'm a visual person, Anyone out there that could help out I'd appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by HiltiGuy5150 View Post
    Hey guys I've read the postings and I still can't seem to get these grips on, For some reason I can't open up the pics and I'm a visual person, Anyone out there that could help out I'd appreciate it.
    If your refering to the pics that are missing from the very first post, keep in mind this post was started 17 months ago. Maybe someone has some pics of the install process or you could shoot a PM to the original poster and see if he still has them Also,

Quote Originally Posted by 204denali View Post
    So are anyone else's grips turning there hands black? Mine are.
    Mine did and also made my palms itch and peel. I thought about taking them off but I can't find another set of grips that let you add helmet locks. So now I just wear gloves all of the time.