Kuryakyn Grip Install - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Kuryakyn Grip Install

Default Re: Kuryakyn Grip Install

I am not sure why, but I am having a MOST DIFFICULT time with the throttle cables being loose enough to move off the throttle sleeve hooks?

AND, there is no way to slip the old grip off (throttle side) with the lower starter casing in place and the cable retainers snugged up underneath the casing!?!?!?!?!

This is proving to be a most annoying modification for me. AM I DOING SOMETHING WRONG or WHAT IS THE DEAL WITH GETTING THE CABLE FERREL'S OFF? They are both so tight that I cannot even budge them and I've already loosened the tension wheel as pictured!?!?!

I NEED HELP QUICK - I am in the garage trying to get this done tonight!

Anyone who knows what to do and if you can help me out, please call me at 407-908-1668, anytime up through Midnight, EST.

Thank you for your time and consideration!
    Don
    QUESTIONS are a sign of Strength, so Stop Assuming and Start Asking!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member

Are you sure the "tension wheel" isn't just the lock nut? Once the locknut is loosened, you need to turn the adjuster IN to loosen the cable. Hope this is your problem, and that helps?
    06 Blurple 9 delivered 3-28-07

Very Active Member

OK, I was just out looking at my bike, and the last statement I made may be wrong. I have my new grips, just not installed yet. May have to tackle it tomorrow. Looks different from what I'm used to. Sorry, just trying to help.

Service Manual for handlebar removal states, skipping to step 3 as handlebars aren't coming off

#3 remove grip endcap
    #4 remove wire to switch and remove right handlebar switch
    #5 disconnect throttle cable by removing throttle grip
    (I know it probably doesn't help, just thought I'd pull out the manual and see if I could find anything that would help)

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member

OK, your post motivated me to go do my right side grip and my first post was pretty close, I was just thinking it loosened the opposite way that it does.

In picture 3 on the first page, that says "loosen this adjuster all the way", you need to loosen up the "wheel" which is a jamnut(toward the control). THEN you need to twist the adjuster on the cable(again toward the control) which gives slack for the cable closest the rider. It's still a tight fit to get it off fully slack, but a needlenose pliers and a small screwdriver worked well for me. Once off the other cable "falls off" as someone else stated by rotating the grip in the direction of "throttle closed". To install, reverse.

Of course, now I have to do the left grip before I can ride....... how well does superglue set when it's 40 degrees?

Default Kuryakyn Grip Install - MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!!

Thank you for your replies EVERYONE and to "ISJUSTUS" for taking the time to pick up the phone and call me while I was still in the garage!

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!!

I tell you what, getting enough slack in the throttle cable to pull it off the white throttle sleeve hook, was nearly impossible. The instructions that come with the Kuryakyn grips is simply not sufficient. The one piece of the Installation Instructions that is missing is:

"Once you have the throttle sleeve exposed, and the throttle cable adjuster has been turned all the way in as close to the Switch housing as possible, then...while inserting a flat head screwdriver (or in my case, a 90 degree pick), OPEN THE THROTTLE BACK TOWARD THE DRIVER, and then the FERREL WILL COME OUT on the Driver side, AND THEN THE BRAKE LEVER SIDE FERREL WILL ALSO LOOSEN AND THEN YOU CAN SLIP THE GRIP OFF THE HANDLEBAR."

Again, Thank you for taking the time to try and help and offering your insights!!!

Enjoy your weekend!!!
    QUESTIONS are a sign of Strength, so Stop Assuming and Start Asking!!!

Very Active Member

Hey, glad you got it done.

Those grips look great :)
    Are there any other benefits fitting them?

Quote Originally Posted by Normsthename
    Those grips look great :)
    Are there any other benefits fitting them?
    Their looks is but a minor benefit from this mod. Among the ISO Grips benefits are superior comfort & overall feel. For me the main benefit with the ISO Grip design is that it allows very precise throttle movements. For those of you who have ever executed a first gear turn on slippery roads with your M109, you're familiar with how the slightest movement of the ever so touchy throttle can spin that 240 like a top. The lobes (rubber bumps) on the ISO grips help me to make very slight & specific throttle inputs much more easily, and for me that makes them invaluable.
    &#39;06 Jeep GC SRT-8, &#39;06 Honda Odyssey EX-L, &#39;06 Element EX-P, &#39;03 H2, &#39;03 Blue Z06, &#39;01 Miata SE, &#39;99 Boxster, &#39;70 SuperBee 440 6Pk&nbsp; 4-Speed<br /><br />&#39;07 Red M109R, Iso Grips w/Throttle Boss, ISO Wings, Sportech 14&quot; Shield, Roadburner Road Pro&#39;s Chrome w/SLT, Corbin Saddle, Shaved, JSD 3M, HID Headlight...

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by ARH1956
    Their looks is but a minor benefit from this mod. Among the ISO Grips benefits are superior comfort & overall feel.
    and the weather was finally nice enough to ride today WITH the new grips installed.

hi,
    somehow i can't get the left trim ring off:-( I want to install a conplete new handlebar. Is the Trim Ring held in place by friction, or glued:-)? Is there a way to remove the left controls without removing the trim ring?
    Any suggestions?
    Thx

Quote Originally Posted by genese
    hi,
    somehow i can't get the left trim ring off:-( I want to install a conplete new handlebar. Is the Trim Ring held in place by friction, or glued:-)? Is there a way to remove the left controls without removing the trim ring?
    Any suggestions?
    Thx

The left trim ring is glued on. If you already have the left grip removed, pull hard or wedge something between the ring and the switch control housing and the trim ring will come right off. Take care not to mar your switch control housing. The housing comes off via screws underneath.

Very Active Member

Great instructions! I did mine today. Took maybe a half hour. I threw the plastic spacer away, just like you said. I couldn't see the need for it either. I also used a different type of glue. Not gorilla but locktite general purpose glue. It gave me more time to get the grip on and lined up to match the throttle side.

Thanks for your good work!
    Cheers
    John
    A day spent riding is not deducted from man&#39;s lifespan.&nbsp; <br />Red 07, Debeavered, DLP licence plate with LED surround, Kuryakyn ISO grips, national cycle vstream shield, Kuryakyn flamin switchblade pegs, radiator stone guard mod.

Very Active Member

Installed my grips and spikes today, didn't need the spacer tube either. I used the glue that came with them instead of the superglue gel I usually use, we'll see how that works.

I did notice that the throttle adjustment on my bike had not been tightened which at first made the loosening of that a little confusing. I'll be letting it dry overnight and if the weather holds I will see how well they hold tomorrow.

I also found that one short phillips head extremely tight and almost stripped it getting it out. I reinstalled all of them with a little blue loctite and didn't torque them down like they were.

Thanks for the great write up and pointers in this post!

20 minutes it took to install the Kury grips including throttle boss!
    Thanks for all the information.

also installed rear-caliper chrome cover (part 1289) ...... mmmm maybe a little too much bling bling. Not sure if i will keep that part. Hahaha.

This weekend i will make some pics of my mods.

grtz from Europe
    Jurrie
    07 red-M109.<br /><br /><br />&quot;If things seem under controle, you are just not going fast enough&quot;

thanks for the info ill be installing mine once they come in the mail but im getting the ones with the 109 engraved in them sould make her look even sweeter.. im thinking the application should be the same let me know if there any extra tips for those type.. thanks again
    Ken(BirdMan)

Piece of cake I certianly would not have wanted to use Kuryankyn's instructions. One additional item:

It's real easy to take off the inner ring on the clutch side just a set of channel locks and a twist off it comes. That way there is no chance to scratch the switch cover.
    Ride it like you stole it!<br /><br />2007 M109LE, 2002 GL1800, 2005 Haybusa LE

Can any one tell me the difference between the iso-Grip part #s (6240 vs 6235). The dealer ordered me the 6240's and according to Kuryakyn's web site the 6235 is the correct part# for the 109R.

Can I use the 6240 or should I take it back to the Suzuki stealer and have them reorder the 6235 (correct one)??

Thanks guys..........and this is 1 awesome site

I just installed part number #6235 ... Ran into a problem, there was a small plastic or rubber drip inside the throttle side... this made the throttle stick... I had to take it back apart and grind it off with a screwdriver... after that is was a smooth install. I am glad I used the Gorilla glue as suggested on the clutch side... the instructions about the provided glue scared me ... Thank You!
    2007 M109r - "Go have no fun somewhere else"

Very Active Member

Thanks for the install instructions.. 30 minutes and done! Nary a problem.

I had all kinds of problems with my Rocket III tho! Lot's of mods to get the grips on!

Ready to rock and roll!

Steve &quot;JackStands&quot; Jack<br />

I want to thank you guy for the help on how to install kuryakyn grip. It was real simple install after reading this thread. Thank again. TIN MAN.

Very Active Member

Thanks guys I did my grips, throttle boss and kewl metal helmet locks today with the greatest of ease thanks to this thread. The only issue I ran into was installing the helmet lock on the throttle boss - the screws were to long and binding the throttle, so I cut them down and now I'm good to go

Well Tried to do the grips today. Was trying to put the new throttle side on and the cable pulled on the tab while installing the driver side cable and snapped it off. Needless to say I am Have to place an order for a new set now. $$$ out the window!

For More information check out my WEBSITE HERE!!!

Hey great instructions. I just installed these same grips today and i love em!! I had my buddy Aqknocker over to give me some insight. He did his a few weeks ago. These grips are hot. One of the best mods i've done so far. Thanks Aqknocker for your help bro...

I got an offer i couldn't refuse for my 9 so all i have left is my Wing..

Just a bit of advice for people. On the first attempt broke one of the tabs on the throttle side due to trying to do it myself. Get someone to help when putting the cables back on new grip. Many here say it is the trouble spot, including me, but the wife held things while I worked the cables into place. It took about 2 seconds with the help and was a piece of cake. If only the weather was better I would go for a ride.

For More information check out my WEBSITE HERE!!!

Just installed mine. No problems!!! Thanks for the easy to do instuctions Felix
    Will post pictures when the other 1800.00 worth of mods get in. Should be this week!!!
    Ride Sober Live Free!
    I am NOT GOING DOWN!!!!!!!

Fast!!!

The instructions you all have posted work fantastic!!!!!
    Took about and hour to get the entire deal done!!
    The only thing I did different was to use a razer blade (used for cutting rugs and crap) and shaved off the gule. For what remained I used some ebony paper and sanded it off.

Thanks for all your help.

Got just a little more the 2K km's on the R2, next is de-beaver and LED signals. On back order though.

Thanks again.

Just installed the Kuryakyn ISO Grips and although it was easy to do the throttle cables etc, i did have a bit of a problem with the throttle side grip binding on the bar! It turned out that the inside of the grip tube wasn't completely smooth, it looked like a plastic drip from the moulding process. I got out my trusty dremmel and ground off the drip and voila! no more binding.

oh.....a bit of warning!!! the supplied death grip glue is extremely quick to set!

Very Active Member

I busted the throttle grip trying to get the cable in, so now im riding with black tape over sliced grips until i find out from kuryakyn if they can sell me an individual replacement grip :(

Well I too have followed in the footsteps of all the great ones before me...and while everything went pretty smooth thanks to the amazing step by step instructions in this post, I too have the binding throttle...I see that a couple of you had less than smooth throttle grip tubes, and while I'm not excited about the idea of playing with those little ferrules again, I have a hunch that's what I'm up against because no matter how I adjust the cable it just wont snap back quite right. It has to be twisted back into place. So, I guess tomorrow night I'll disassemble the throttle grip again and check it out. I'm hoping like heck I see the dreaded rubber drip that some of you have run into.

Thanks for the great help!!!
    Mods: K&N Filters, Kuryakyn ISO grips, Kewl Metal grip helmet lock, 250 rear tire, De-beavered, Raw Design Stealth front signals and Strutto rear signals, Tach Relocated YES!!!.

I installed my ISO flame grips last night and this post really helped! Thanks for the Gorilla Glue tip! Worked like a charm!