Two Rear Brake Downunder Kits
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Two Rear Brake Downunder Kits

  1. #1
    Very Active Member Sledge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    187

    Default Two Rear Brake Downunder Kits

    It seems there are two different rear brake downunder kits.

    This one seems to be the one discussed the most:
    https://www.meancycles.com/store/par...or=GLOSS+BLACK

    This one looks like it may be cleaner looking but there are no pictures of it installed. Has anyone used this one and how does it compare to the one above?
    https://www.meancycles.com/store/par...94&color=BLACK

    The longer brake lines that come with these kits, are they just standard brake lines or are they braided steel?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Very Active Member UVATom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Concord, VA
    Posts
    423

    Default

    I have the top one in chrome but don't remember if it was a choice of line. Mine is braided SS.

    Keep in mind you cannot bleed the brake with it mounted on the bike if you get one. I spent 30 mins after rebuilding my caliper before it hit me that the bleeders point down.

  4. #3
    Very Active Member M109Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Jackson, MS
    Posts
    6,957

    Default

    It looks to me that they are very similar except the GHOST kit looks like it is thicker where the axel goes through not needing the spacer that the other kit has, it also doesn't look like it has the attachment point where the bolt goes through and attaches to the swing arm. Not sure how it keeps from rotating? I have the older kit. Like in the 1st link and my line is SS braided as well

  5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Very Active Member Andy33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    804

    Default

    First time I'm seeing the Ghost kit. Looks great. I do NOT have either kit but have been wanting a Downunder bracket for years. This could be the year.... Come on Black Friday discount code...

    Quote Originally Posted by M109Dreamer View Post
    It looks to me that they are very similar except the GHOST kit looks like it is thicker where the axel goes through not needing the spacer that the other kit has, it also doesn't look like it has the attachment point where the bolt goes through and attaches to the swing arm. Not sure how it keeps from rotating? I have the older kit. Like in the 1st link and my line is SS braided as well
    When everything is mounted up would the fact that the bracket is between the swing arm and wheel (axle through also) stop it form rotating? Seem to me that the top bolt isn't necessary at all.
    Curious as a cleaner and cheaper bracket seems like a great option.
    2009 M109 LE
    ISO grips, Swing Wing pegs, Shifter/Brake pedal MOD, Rivco 2" Risers, V-Stream Windshield, Cobra Sissy Bar/Rack, Tach Relocated, Mini Bullet Signals, Scythe 2 Mirrors, Debadged, DeBeaved,
    RaceTech fork Springs, Progressive 465, LA Choppers 2" bones, Cycle House Kickstand, Chrome Stock Wheels, Freedom Exhaust, Goldwing Intake MOD + K&N filters, Cobra Power Pro


  7. #5
    Very Active Member M109Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Jackson, MS
    Posts
    6,957

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy33 View Post
    First time I'm seeing the Ghost kit. Looks great. I do NOT have either kit but have been wanting a Downunder bracket for years. This could be the year.... Come on Black Friday discount code...



    When everything is mounted up would the fact that the bracket is between the swing arm and wheel (axle through also) stop it form rotating? Seem to me that the top bolt isn't necessary at all.
    Curious as a cleaner and cheaper bracket seems like a great option.
    Idk, have never seen the kit. But it looks cleaner. It basically took the chrome spacer and made it into one piece. And then did away with bolting it to the swing arm.

    As far as not rotating, Im not sure. I would need to see it. Because I would hate to mount it. And come to find out the only thing keeping it from spinning is the brake line attached.

    But yes it is squeezed between everything. But my next question is, if its not needed then why would Suzuki put one on the OEM bracket. And with a bolt that is TQ that high?
    Because Suzuki still refuses to paint/chrome the damn derby cover to save a $

    Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

  8. #6
    Very Active Member Andy33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    804

    Default

    Thought about this a bit more today and I can't see how the bracket would rotate once installed.
    Considering its pinched between the swing arm and wheel plus has the axle running through it. Combined with having the caliper mounted over the rear rotor (pinching). How on earth would this rotate?

    I could be missing something...

    Too bad Meancycles doesn't have any customer reviews on it yet. Might be worth tossing this on one of the Facebook pages to get further feedback.
    2009 M109 LE
    ISO grips, Swing Wing pegs, Shifter/Brake pedal MOD, Rivco 2" Risers, V-Stream Windshield, Cobra Sissy Bar/Rack, Tach Relocated, Mini Bullet Signals, Scythe 2 Mirrors, Debadged, DeBeaved,
    RaceTech fork Springs, Progressive 465, LA Choppers 2" bones, Cycle House Kickstand, Chrome Stock Wheels, Freedom Exhaust, Goldwing Intake MOD + K&N filters, Cobra Power Pro


  9. #7
    Radio Active Member Zoom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    22,519

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy33 View Post
    Thought about this a bit more today and I can't see how the bracket would rotate once installed.
    Considering its pinched between the swing arm and wheel plus has the axle running through it. Combined with having the caliper mounted over the rear rotor (pinching). How on earth would this rotate?

    I could be missing something...

    Too bad Meancycles doesn't have any customer reviews on it yet. Might be worth tossing this on one of the Facebook pages to get further feedback.
    Imagine reaching down and grabbing the brake rotor with your hand, while traveling down the road. What does it do with your hand? Same thing as it will do with the caliper and the bracket it's attached to if the bracket isn't secured to something. I don't see just pinching it between the swingarm and wheel as being enough to hold it.

    But unless I'm seeing something that isn't there, it appears the ghost bracket has the same hole to secure it to the swingarm as the regular downunder bracket does. There's the big hole that the axle goes through, a single hole on one arm that a bolt goes through to secure it to the swingarm, and two holes on the other arm that the caliper bolts to.



  10. #8
    Very Active Member M109Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Jackson, MS
    Posts
    6,957

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
    Imagine reaching down and grabbing the brake rotor with your hand, while traveling down the road. What does it do with your hand? Same thing as it will do with the caliper and the bracket it's attached to if the bracket isn't secured to something. I don't see just pinching it between the swingarm and wheel as being enough to hold it.

    But unless I'm seeing something that isn't there, it appears the ghost bracket has the same hole to secure it to the swingarm as the regular downunder bracket does. There's the big hole that the axle goes through, a single hole on one arm that a bolt goes through to secure it to the swingarm, and two holes on the other arm that the caliper bolts to.
    I see the hole where it could mount to the swing arm now. But it looks awful large for the stock hole. On the stock hole isn't just for the small bolt that attaches the OEM brake line? I believe it was like a 8 or 10mm bolt that just attached a bracket groumet that the OEM brake line went through? I have the older version of the bracket so I can't really remember the bolt that was in the original hole.

  11. #9
    Very Active Member Sledge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    187

    Default

    I think I figured out how it does not turn. On the inside of the swingarm, there is a slot. The part that I indicate in the picture is inserted into that slot. Looks like there are no screws mounting the kit to the swingarm. I wonder how tricky this would be to install though. I think I might give it a shot.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	downunder.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	12.8 KB 
ID:	390028

  12. #10
    Radio Active Member Zoom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    22,519

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by M109Dreamer View Post
    I see the hole where it could mount to the swing arm now. But it looks awful large for the stock hole. On the stock hole isn't just for the small bolt that attaches the OEM brake line? I believe it was like a 8 or 10mm bolt that just attached a bracket groumet that the OEM brake line went through? I have the older version of the bracket so I can't really remember the bolt that was in the original hole.
    I think Sledge has this one right. I have the stock swingarm and stock bracket on mine. I just checked and there is an open slot on the inside of the swingarm that the pin shown on the Ghost bracket could probably mount into. It worries me a little if it does as the slot is only about halfway as far out on the swingarm as the stock mounting point is, so there's more leverage on it under heavy braking. But it should work. You can see in the other two images on MeanCycles that there isn't any visible mounting tab sticking above or below the swingarm the way the original downunder bracket had.

    The image below is of one of the original downunder brackdts that Josh was selling. On it you can see the mounting tab that uses the same mounting hole on top of the swingarm that the original brake caliper bracket uses, the one that is secured by the large socket head allen bolt. That bolt is probably a 12 or 14mm diameter bolt.




  13. #11
    Very Active Member UVATom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Concord, VA
    Posts
    423

    Default

    The only thing I can add is alignment is important to keep the brake from dragging with just the pin one. There is also another option out there but it wasn't very nice looking and might not still be be available.

  14. #12
    Very Active Member M109Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Jackson, MS
    Posts
    6,957

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
    I think Sledge has this one right. I have the stock swingarm and stock bracket on mine. I just checked and there is an open slot on the inside of the swingarm that the pin shown on the Ghost bracket could probably mount into. It worries me a little if it does as the slot is only about halfway as far out on the swingarm as the stock mounting point is, so there's more leverage on it under heavy braking. But it should work. You can see in the other two images on MeanCycles that there isn't any visible mounting tab sticking above or below the swingarm the way the original downunder bracket had.

    The image below is of one of the original downunder brackdts that Josh was selling. On it you can see the mounting tab that uses the same mounting hole on top of the swingarm that the original brake caliper bracket uses, the one that is secured by the large socket head allen bolt. That bolt is probably a 12 or 14mm diameter bolt.

    I have that same kit. I'm gonna have to go out into the garage when I get home and check on my swing arm and see what it looks like. Its been so long since I have even taken my back tire off I can't really remember.

  15. #13
    Very Active Member thevili's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Nitra, Slovakia
    Posts
    3,415

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
    I think I figured out how it does not turn. On the inside of the swingarm, there is a slot. The part that I indicate in the picture is inserted into that slot. Looks like there are no screws mounting the kit to the swingarm. I wonder how tricky this would be to install though. I think I might give it a shot.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	downunder.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	12.8 KB 
ID:	390028
    If that steel nipple/bushing fits in a round nice tight fit hole inside the swingarm,
    it should be OK, but the way I see it in that spot is a oblong hole inside the OEM
    swingarm. I have no access to my bike right now to look at it, but there are pics
    on the net. You should doublecheck that...

  16. #14
    Radio Active Member Zoom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    22,519

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by M109Dreamer View Post
    I have that same kit. I'm gonna have to go out into the garage when I get home and check on my swing arm and see what it looks like. Its been so long since I have even taken my back tire off I can't really remember.
    It's been so long or is old age finally getting to ya?

    That's one of the only good things about getting older, you can start poking fun at all the other old farts too But of course in our minds we are never older, just wiser.



  17. #15
    Very Active Member M109Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Jackson, MS
    Posts
    6,957

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
    It's been so long or is old age finally getting to ya?

    That's one of the only good things about getting older, you can start poking fun at all the other old farts too But of course in our minds we are never older, just wiser.
    LOL, prob both

    Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
-->