Gone but not forgotten!

Thread: Gone but not forgotten!

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar

Default Gone but not forgotten!

Yes, I know this is the M109 board, but I just wanted to drop a little knowledge on you guys. Found out that the Yamaha Vmax will no longer be produced for the 2021 season. It has been rumored before, but as of 11/17/2020 it is official. We have been told that it could no longer meet the standards for emissions. I don't know if that is true or not, but we do know that it is no longer available. This bike came out in 1985 and has a huge cult following. It remained unchanged through 2007. In 2008 they did a redesign and came out with with the generation 2 in 2009. They made loads of improvements in handling, braking, and upped the hp from 145 to 197. The bike is a blast to drive in the twisties, but unreal in the straights. There has only been one color released for each model year, and therefore you can always tell the year model. That was until 2019 and 2020, when they had the same color as 2018. I could see the handwriting on the wall and felt that the end was near. Sure enough, the word has come down. Unfortunately I do not think that there will be a generation 3 coming out anytime soon.
    I am saying all that to just give everyone a heads up as to what I fell might be coming in the near future to the M109. It remained unchanged from 2006-2009. Then slight updates from 2011 to present. I feel like that one day soon the powers to be will be discontinuing our beloved M109 (I say ours, because I have owned 4 and always on the lookout for another). When Harley is investing in electric bikes, and Ford is demonizing the Mustang by creating the electric Mack E mustang (should not taint the name), it is time for everyone to take notice. I was actually considering selling my Vmax and picking up a 2018 or newer goldwing. But with the untimely death of the Vmax, I think I will be holding onto my legend for a while longer and eventually just adding to the fleet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200525_112716806.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	106.2 KB 
ID:	390006  

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

I think everything will be going electric. I think by 2021 they all have to emit a sound. Which could be cool as maybe you can switch the sound to different pipes out there? And the speed of electric bikes will be INSANE. No gas bike will be able to touch them.
    Coming to a city near you..
    Bang for the Buck Mods link
    CLICK HERE

It's sad to hear that about the VMax. I always like them and thought about getting one at various times.

I'm surprised the M109 is still around. Remember a couple years ago when they said they could not not, or would not, redesign it to meet European emission standards? At that time they could sell what they had in inventory and that was it. Not sure what happened as they seem to still be selling them.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by rynosback View Post
    I think everything will be going electric. I think by 2021 they all have to emit a sound. Which could be cool as maybe you can switch the sound to different pipes out there? And the speed of electric bikes will be INSANE. No gas bike will be able to touch them.
    Considering the limited range on the Vmax (100-110 miles per tank), it is probably about the same as an electric bike. But where it only takes minutes to fill up and be back on the road, the recharge time on an electric vehicle will need to get better. I am one of those old school guys that just love the sound of a gas burning engine. My Road Runner only got 6 miles per gallon when I first had the 440 built in that thing. And it only put out 500 hp (low in todays standards). But it had a sound that would shake the earth, and enough tq. to rotate it. That is what I long for in my vehicles.

So what does everyone think has been the best year for the M109?
    ~Stitch

2008 M109R2 AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. by STARK INDUSTRIES

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    Considering the limited range on the Vmax (100-110 miles per tank), it is probably about the same as an electric bike. But where it only takes minutes to fill up and be back on the road, the recharge time on an electric vehicle will need to get better. I am one of those old school guys that just love the sound of a gas burning engine. My Road Runner only got 6 miles per gallon when I first had the 440 built in that thing. And it only put out 500 hp (low in todays standards). But it had a sound that would shake the earth, and enough tq. to rotate it. That is what I long for in my vehicles.
    The Roadrunner was an AWESOME car. It was, is a beast.
    Coming to a city near you..
    Bang for the Buck Mods link
    CLICK HERE

Quote Originally Posted by StitchsLoft View Post
    So what does everyone think has been the best year for the M109?
    Considering they all are about the same, I would say 2014. The reason I say that is because it is the year with the most options. It was the last year of the Limited, the first year of the Boss, and the last year that chrome pipes and stuff was an option. They also still had the emblem on the side and were not going to stickers saying Boulevard. I'm old school and believe that paint still should be shiny and chrome should be an option. But that is just me. There have been other color schemes that I have liked better, but 2014 seemed to have a little something for everyone.

Ya some the BOSS models are pretty cool... I do like that flat gray they came out with too!
    ~Stitch

2008 M109R2 AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. by STARK INDUSTRIES

Very Active Member biker-chicky's Avatar

Thanks fir the update there my friend! We’re still stuck on our old 2006, 9”s!
    There both tucked away for the winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Riders Meet 2018, Nakusp BC. Date ?
    Planning stage. Location secured

I can guarantee that this will be the most popular mod - defeating the stupid noisemaker. If it must make noise, I suggest music.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

- My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
    - God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the vision to tell the difference.

I think all electric vehicles should sound like the spacecraft of the cartoon " The Jetsons"

The power grid will need to be substantially upgraded before every swinging dick out there and his girlfriend can be driving/riding sparkie vehicles. There's just no way it can handle it now. And I don't see that changing anytime soon. Not in my lifetime in any event. I'll never own a sparkie vehicle. NEVER!! I don't care how ear bleedin fast they are. Look at teslas, they are fast. But when you use that potential, you cut down on the range substantially. Same for turning on the lights, turning on the heater/ac, turning on the radio. All the blah-blah mileage estimates are for the motor only. When you start adding load, the mileage falls off a cliff. And you can't refill it in five minutes like you can a gas powered vehicle.

You can keep your sparky vehicles. I PASS!

My wife has actually been looking into the Mach E. But I told her that it would not be ready for a couple of years. I know I was lying, but I cannot give into that type of car for a while. She drives too much for an electric car, and I feel like down the road that battery replacement will be major. Even the hybrid cars now can cost $4-6k for a replacement. that is why so many used ones come to the market after 4-6 years of ownership.

Yep, I have been looking at Energica motorcycles. (https://www.energicamotorusa.com) They look pretty awesome to me. But, they are definitely niche products, and range is an issue due to the lack of charging stations right now. Like any other new product in its infancy, that will change.

With the increasing efficiency of solar panels, and the implementation of wind power, our reliance on fossil fuel is beginning to wane. As more new clean energy technology is developed, the reliance will lessen further. Most of us here will never see our society being independent from its fossil fuel reliance, but that day will come. (And I don't have to be crude while discussing it.)

Energica + RS Acceleration: 0-60 mph: 2.6 sec
    Torque: 159 lb-ft
    Last edited by HyperPete; 11-30-2020 at 07:35 PM.

- My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
    - God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the vision to tell the difference.