M109 Rider Forums banner

Overheating?

2K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  Bridgeoly 
#1 ·
Hey guys. I baught my 9 earlier in the year and has been fine apart from having the oil/temp light on for the past few months. I originally thought it was oil but have since thought it was overheating (still unsure) but apart from that has been running fine, no issues.. on Saturday I rode home from the gold coast (roughly an hour and a half ride) and when I got home and turned off the motor but not the key, the fans kicked on (pretty normal) and then heard a weird gurgle sound coming from down the front of the bike.
I have pulled everything off to see if I could find anything, topped up the coolant and it's still happening.

Also checked the spark plugs only to find there are 2 completely different types of plugs and rather dirty (have ordered some new ones from Suzuki)

Any ideas on what it could be?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey guys. I baught my 9 earlier in the year and has been fine apart from having the oil/temp light on for the past few months. I originally thought it was oil but have since thought it was overheating (still unsure) but apart from that has been running fine, no issues.. on Saturday I rode home from the gold coast (roughly an hour and a half ride) and when I got home and turned off the motor but not the key, the fans kicked on (pretty normal) and then heard a weird gurgle sound coming from down the front of the bike.
I have pulled everything off to see if I could find anything, topped up the coolant and it's still happening.

Also checked the spark plugs only to find there are 2 completely different types of plugs and rather dirty (have ordered some new ones from Suzuki)

Not sure about your overheating problem but FYI the 9 has 4 spark plugs

#3 ·
If oil/temp idiot light comes on you should pull over right away, not continue riding the bike.
The light is telling you something is wrong with the bike.

You said you topped off coolant, did you do this at the radiator cap or at the reservoir?
If only at the reservoir then pull the tank and neck covers to check the level at the cap.
If it is low you like have a coolant leak or your system is boiling over and causing you to loose coolant.

There are lots of things that can go bad in the cooling system.

Radiator cap
Thermostat
Water Pump
Any number of hoses and fittings
The radiator itself.
Or if the bike was not properly care for, part or all of the cooling circuit could be clogged.

#4 ·
If oil/temp idiot light comes on you should pull over right away, not continue riding the bike.
The light is telling you something is wrong with the bike.

You said you topped off coolant, did you do this at the radiator cap or at the reservoir?
If only at the reservoir then pull the tank and neck covers to check the level at the cap.
If it is low you like have a coolant leak or your system is boiling over and causing you to loose coolant.

There are lots of things that can go bad in the cooling system.

Radiator cap
Thermostat
Water Pump
Any number of hoses and fittings
The radiator itself.
Or if the bike was not properly care for, part or all of the cooling circuit could be clogged.
There doesn't seam to me any leaks that I'm aware of, never anything on the ground.
Coolant is full at the cap but I did fill from the reservoir. I'm currently looking at taking the thermostat out. Does all the coolant need to be drains to do this?

#5 ·

Not sure about your overheating problem but FYI the 9 has 4 spark plugs
I have all 4 out and there are 2 different types/brands.

#8 ·
G'day Mate, I'm no expert but I noticed I used 91 once with my new KnN air filters and it was causing engine knock. The motor did not like this combination especially not yet tuned to the upgrades, and heated up way to quickly causing my stock pipes to get very very hot(not normal for my bike) so now I run 98/100 and the engine is much happier and heat is normal and stable

#12 ·
Where Im at the most common high is 90. You have to search around to find 91 which is what Ive alwsys ran. Never had an overheat issue but it definitely gets hot. I have the Sharp curves with big air kit aswell.

#14 ·
Ha ha thats funny but probably a good idea. I use the 91 in my bike and truck. Just wosh I could get 93.

#15 ·
*Wish*

#17 · (Edited)
I had the bike for 5 years now and I always put 93 octane on it .
There is no way I would put less than that .
My 9 runs and works perfectly , never have had a single problem .
2 years ago I installed the Revo voltmeter /temperature kit and I had to check the radiator, thermostat , flush(3 times) and replace the engine coolant , clean up the coolant bottle , etc in order to install the hose sensor temp and install the kit .
Everything was just like new , hoses , radiator, etc and all I needed was to do the install and 6900 miles later , the bike is still in perfect shape , no overheating (the fan starts and shut off like clock work ) , no ignition issues , detonation , loss of power, nothing . The bike has also a Cobra fuel management installed , along with an X-TRE .
I also put 2 ounces of Sea Foam every 2 full tanks ... it works for me .

#18 · (Edited)
I’ve always been of the mindset that our M109Rs require/are recommended running “Premium” grade fuel. I realize premium is rated differently in various locations around and outside of the U.S. Everywhere I’ve lived, to include Germany, premium grade fuel has always been rated at 93% octane. My understanding and belief is, unless someone’s constantly running “race grade” fuel, or something very close to it in their 9, the M109R should not overheat, due to the grade of fuel being used, as long as it’s not higher than 93% octane. I’ve been running 93% octane in all my bikes and automobiles since the early 90s and I’ve never had an overheating issue.

#19 ·

I had the same problem with my 08. I did all the recommended checks, flush and fill,new thermostat, leak check and water pump. Same issue. I finally removed the radiator and it was clogged with mineral deposits. The guy I brought it from had it sitting up for 2 years. i changed the oil but didnt flush the coolant before I started riding it. I purchased a new radiator, problem solved.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.