Starting and clutch

Thread: Starting and clutch

Hi just joined just bought a m1800r 09 reg 7500 miles got 2 problems can any one help? First some times the the bike will only just crank over (battery full and tested) other problem clutch when I touch the throttle in gear moving the clutch lever pulls tight drop the throttle and it goes lose again (I've re routed the cable first I thoght it was that but its not,,,, any help appreciated
    Last edited by Mark99; 1 Week Ago at 03:09 AM. Reason: Not finishex

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Clutch cable is supposed to be loose (have a bit of slack).

When you accelerate the centrical force of the clutch spinning will cause the cable to tighten.

If you do not have the proper amount of slack in the clutch cable then it will eventually break.

Too loose and the clutch will not properly disengage.

And for your starting problem, check your kickstand switch, clutch switch and kill switch on the handlebars.
    2007 M109R Black, a few mods.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by troutwilly View Post
    And for your starting problem, check your kickstand switch, clutch switch and kill switch on the handlebars.
    all ready checked all the above it seems to be more when it's warm hot turn it off for 5minz then it hesertates to start battery good,,, is there a decompression device?

Quote Originally Posted by Stalker View Post
    Clutch cable is supposed to be loose (have a bit of slack).

When you accelerate the centrical force of the clutch spinning will cause the cable to tighten.

If you do not have the proper amount of slack in the clutch cable then it will eventually break.

Too loose and the clutch will not properly disengage.
    I have 15mm slack had loads of big bikes gsx1400 warrior 1700 etc never in 30yrs of riding have I seen I clutch lever go tight when u touch throttle and lose when let throttle off its as thow some thing is broken or lose,, looks like am goner have the clutch out

Default Starter and Clutch

Quote Originally Posted by Mark99 View Post
    all ready checked all the above it seems to be more when it's warm hot turn it off for 5minz then it hesertates to start battery good,,, is there a decompression device?

Check ground lead is clean on engine making good contact.

If you have rerouted the clutch and it was good before maybe you have the cable jammed up somehow.

There is a decompression device but haven't heard of any problems with it.

Have you tried to jump bike off another battery using ground from doner battery to known good ground?
    1 De/sticker .<br />2Iso grips throttle boss x 2 red accent rings.<br />3Engine bars<br />4Drive shaft cover.<br />5# Plate (Gez 09) chrome<br />6Exhaust ( baffles ) modded. <br />7Chrome side mount rego holder.<br />8Tank bra <br />9Jsd-3m<br />10Polished M109R res cover<br />11Smoke Indicator Lenses.<br />12Stebel horn &nbsp;right cover).<br />13Suzuki backrest and rack.<br />14Widow pegs <br />15Polished M109R engine cover.<br />16Blueant Inter .<br />17Nokia 6110 nav phone.<br />18Home made rad grille suz +&#39;s&#39;.<br />19) Braided brake lines.<br />20KN filters/modded holleys.<br />21Elite 3 250 f/b<br />22KM tach <br />23Swing arm cover<br />24pc3 /rc mods<br />25c/f gel seats<br />26bc clutch

Quote Originally Posted by supergez View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark99 View Post
    Only re routed clutch cable becouse of this problem I've even riden it with cable disconnected and I can watch the clutch arm on engine move down n up with throttle so its not cable it's internal

Check ground lead is clean on engine making good contact.

If you have rerouted the clutch and it was good before maybe you have the cable jammed up somehow.

There is a decompression device but haven't heard of any problems with it.

Have you tried to jump bike off another battery using ground from doner battery to known good ground?
    not tryed jumping as its rare I get the fault and if I stop pushing start button to connect a jump start it's fine secound or 3rd push of button it feals like the starter has trouble if pistons are on full tdc

Check your engine mounts if they are shot it will affect the clutch cable when on and of the throttle.
    Last edited by majalomalk; 1 Week Ago at 05:01 PM. Reason: miss spelling

Back to start issue.
    Check the state/quality of your positive (+) battery cable. When I first bought my 109 I was having hot starting issues. Suspected the battery but when I got into it I noticed the positive battery lead was flimsy. Replaced it with a new slightly heavier cable solving my problem.
    2007 M109R Black, a few mods.