2009 Suzuki boulevard M90 overheating issue

Thread: 2009 Suzuki boulevard M90 overheating issue

Default 2009 Suzuki boulevard M90 overheating issue

So I was riding and my bike started over heating. When I stopped at a gas station it wouldn’t start so I had to jump it with a battery pack. Then I let it run for about 15 mins when my radiator fluid started pouring out of my bleeder valve. I let my bike cool down then started it back up everything looked fine. Then it over heated again. So I am able to ride it for about 20 mins before my bike starts over heating. Any suggestions? What could be the issue?

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Check the thermostat or feel the hose that goes to the radiator coming from the thermostat. It should get warm while idling after five or six minutes. It should continue to get hotter and hotter until the fan cuts on. If neither of these happens then you have a bad thermostat and a bad fan.

Ok I did not check the hose yet I hear the fan go on but I will recheck the fan. I did start it and run it for about 20 minutes and the engine block started smoking. I am really confused

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Does it have antifreeze in the radiator. If the thermostat is froze it will overheat. The hose to check is number 13 at the link below. Should be right below the tank on the left side. You should not let it run until the engine is smoking.

https://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts...1500/o/m147508

Ok I will be back home tomorrow and I will check it out really do appreciate you helping.

Is it #13 under cooling system?

Yes the radiator hose section under OEM #13. First make sure there is antifreeze in the radiator. Then crank it and feel that hose to see if it gets hot after awhile (not 20 mins). The thermostat is #3. If you take out the thermostat and put it in boiling water it should open as the water gets hot. There are videos on YouTube to show you how. If the thermostat works then you have a bad water pump or a clogged radiator.

How long before the fan turns on because I ran it for a while the hose is getting hot but the fan is t on after running it for atleast 15-20 mins

The fan isn’t on and the exhaust pipe has fumes coming out of it near the engine block

So the hose got hot. But the fan did not turn on and I ran the bike for more than 10 mins. I did see fumes come out the exhaust pipe where it is attached to the engine block.

Mine can take over 20 minutes for the fan to kick in when left to tick over

Mine can take over 20 minutes for the fan to kick in when left to tick over

So the fan not turning on right away is not an issue?

The fan should only come on when the temp gets up to around 105° C which should be around 15 to 20 minutes if sitting still.