ME888 260 Rear Tire

Thread: ME888 260 Rear Tire

Default ME888 260 Rear Tire

Just got a new tire put on today and thought I would post that I got 6000 miles with cords starting to show on the left side of the tire. It's the first time trying the 888. The 880 didn't last long at all when I tried it a few years ago so I won't go back there. I normally went with the E3 which was my go to tire for many years. I had them look up my history and this seems to be right in line with the E3 for me here in VA. The back roads are a lot like 40 grit.

I have found the 888 seems to turn in quicker than the E3. I'll probably try the E4 next year when I'm ready for a new set.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

I'm running a 280 Metzeler Marathon on my 10 inch rim. Currently has around 4000 miles on it and a lot of tread left. I think it's an 880 though, not a 888.

Quote Originally Posted by cbxer55 View Post
    I'm running a 280 Metzeler Marathon on my 10 inch rim. Currently has around 4000 miles on it and a lot of tread left. I think it's an 880 though, not a 888.
    The 880 didn't even last me a year. The E3 was a good tire and a really good price. Now it's right there with the Met if you can even find one. The Metzler costs about $15 more. The E4 is about the same price as the Met but that tread pattern looks curious to me.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

At the beginning of the riding season I went to the 888 260 rear and 160 front, (rear tire on the front.) I am super happy with the handling. I drive about 100 miles a day on the highway to and from work during the week. Once a month I head out to ride with some friends out on some curvy roads out to the coast or up in the hills. The flat line worn into the center from all that freeway driving disappears after a 500 mile ride dragging pegs. I don't think I will get more than 8000 miles on that rear tire, but I do lay down quite a bit of rubber when I twist the happy grip. I was running Dunlops in stock sizes before these tires, and I will not go back.

Quote Originally Posted by StuporDave View Post
    At the beginning of the riding season I went to the 888 260 rear and 160 front, (rear tire on the front.) I am super happy with the handling. I drive about 100 miles a day on the highway to and from work during the week. Once a month I head out to ride with some friends out on some curvy roads out to the coast or up in the hills. The flat line worn into the center from all that freeway driving disappears after a 500 mile ride dragging pegs. I don't think I will get more than 8000 miles on that rear tire, but I do lay down quite a bit of rubber when I twist the happy grip. I was running Dunlops in stock sizes before these tires, and I will not go back.
    StuporDave, you mean to tell me you can still drag the pegs with the 160 front tire?

I was on Highway 198 headed west out of Coalinga CA and there is one corner, I ran a little hot in and it cambers out at the end of the corner and I actually nicked my floorboard. I was amazed. But yah, you can do it. I won't again. LOL

Do those that go to a 260 keep it a 40 profile or go down to a 35?

Quote Originally Posted by MrBarros View Post
    StuporDave, you mean to tell me you can still drag the pegs with the 160 front tire?
    I still drag pegs on my 300/160 set up.

BOTM: SEPT 2016
    'Veni, Vidi, Velcro' - I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Quote Originally Posted by DakS83 View Post
    Do those that go to a 260 keep it a 40 profile or go down to a 35?
    I think the Metzeler 260 is a 40, and that's that. No other choice. My 280 is a 35.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrtallguy67 View Post
    I still drag pegs on my 300/160 set up.
    Nice to know, I am just a bit nervous leaning around the bend, I am just unsure of how low I can take it before loosing it. I am an experienced sports bike rider however this is my first cruiser. My brother who is not as experienced of a rider ran off the road while trying to maneuver a corner on his nine. I guess he underestimated the turn and was just traveling too fast. While riding behind my friends that own nines going around corners I always notice at times that it gets real close to the edges of the tires, it seems that if you go just a little too low the bike will just slide from under you. I guess it will take just a little getting used to. Just knowing that you can scrape your pegs with a 300 tire gives me a lot of confidence with my 240s. Stay safe!

I have 250 rear 160 front and scrape pegs in the twisties too

I have a 280 rear 140 front combo. I scrape pegs all the time. That's another factor in tire life, how much time you spend riding off the center. Every mile you ride off center is another mile you can ride on center. Myself, every time I ride my bikes, the intent is going to my favorite curvy road that's ten miles away. Yet the road is 15 miles of endless loop type. So I can ride around it as many times as I desire without stopping. Plenty of "Points" to stop at with porta-potties, a cafe at the marina, gas stations nearby. There's not many straights on this road. So if I ride around it four times, that's 60 miles with maybe 30 on center. Keeps the tire nice and round also.