Rear cylinder doesnt seem to be running

Thread: Rear cylinder doesnt seem to be running

Default Rear cylinder doesnt seem to be running

It seems like my rear cylinder does not run. Iv'e seen others have had this issue (some with front) but they never come back and post what the issue was.

New to me bike. prev owner could not get running thought it had bad injector

they had hacked the wire harness pretty bad so I replaced that
    I get a c28 code for the stva so for now I removed the secondary throttle blades
    The injector prev owner assumed was bad tested fine but they had butchered the nozzle so I replaced it (tested it for click and flow)
    had c codes for the 2 Iap sensors due to missing vacuum lines (replaced those)
    bike will now start and run
    Front exhaust temp is around 330 rear around 110 (pipe not shields)
    Have spark on all 4 (old plugs was black so went ahead and replaced them)
    sometimes when starting it will burp out the intake
    pulled covers and checked cam timing front and rear, looks fine
    Only other thing I can think of is ecu....
    do these bikes have ecu issues? maybe not activating injector or leaving it stuck on?
    anyone else ran into this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by Joe.bigham View Post
    It seems like my rear cylinder does not run. Iv'e seen others have had this issue (some with front) but they never come back and post what the issue was.

New to me bike. prev owner could not get running thought it had bad injector

they had hacked the wire harness pretty bad so I replaced that
    I get a c28 code for the stva so for now I removed the secondary throttle blades
    The injector prev owner assumed was bad tested fine but they had butchered the nozzle so I replaced it (tested it for click and flow)
    had c codes for the 2 Iap sensors due to missing vacuum lines (replaced those)
    bike will now start and run
    Front exhaust temp is around 330 rear around 110 (pipe not shields)
    Have spark on all 4 (old plugs was black so went ahead and replaced them)
    sometimes when starting it will burp out the intake
    pulled covers and checked cam timing front and rear, looks fine
    Only other thing I can think of is ecu....
    do these bikes have ecu issues? maybe not activating injector or leaving it stuck on?
    anyone else ran into this?
    It seems to me , after reading all the problems that the bike has , that you bought a bike that have been seriously tampered with and badly fixed .
    Who knows what else you would find on that rear cylinder ... I would definitely think on selling it and buying a bike with no problems . There are very nice used bikes out there .
    That is what I would do if I were you . There is nothing more frustrating that getting stuck on a trip with a broken bike .
    Best of luck !!!!!
    Last edited by josey088; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by josey088 View Post
    It seems to me , after reading all the problems that the bike has , that you bought a bike that have been seriously tampered with and badly fixed .
    Who knows what else you would find on that rear cylinder ... I would definitely think on selling it and buying a bike with no problems . There are very nice used bikes out there .
    That is what I would do if I were you . There is nothing more frustrating that getting stuck on a trip with a broken bike .
    Best of luck !!!!!
    Nah I enjoy working on bikes, sometimes I think I like to fix things more than I like to ride. I have other bikes, I got this one to be a project.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Nah I enjoy working on bikes, sometimes I think I like to fix things more than I like to ride. I have other bikes, I got this one to be a project.
    Sounds kind of like me and my Ford Lightning. Other Lightning owners say it's just as much fun hood up as driving. I seem to do that a lot. LMAO!!
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING
    White 2004 Ford Lightning
    Blue/Black 2007 Ford Mustang
    Red/Black 1998 Ford Ranger

Have you done a compression test? Valve clearances OK?

Quote Originally Posted by DakS83 View Post
    Have you done a compression test? Valve clearances OK?
    yes both good

cant think of anything else besides the ecu, hate to drop $ on it and be wrong too tho

Very Active Member

I had a similar issue when I bought my bike. Previous owner messing with it. I fixed my issue by redoing the timing exactly as described in the service manual. I checked it and the marks all looked good but turns out I was 180* out on the rear cylinder.
    2009 M109R LE
    2015 Boss tins, Custom speedo and tach faces and LEDs. ISO Grips. Brake Away Cruise control. Cobra Swepts. Debeavered, Fi200R Fuel management, polished risers and trees, SS Brake lines, ATRE, Custom forward controls. HID kit. Ultimate seat and backrest. Dunlop E3s, 250 rear, Plastidipped rims, cobra solo rack

Quote Originally Posted by Fraps View Post
    I had a similar issue when I bought my bike. Previous owner messing with it. I fixed my issue by redoing the timing exactly as described in the service manual. I checked it and the marks all looked good but turns out I was 180* out on the rear cylinder.
    if it was 180 out wouldn't you be able to tell easy by looking at the lobes?

Very Active Member

if it was 180 out wouldn't you be able to tell easy by looking at the lobes?
    I think so if you knew the position of the piston.
    It's just some of your time to verify the timing, not only of the cams but also the crank before you spend the cheese on another ECU.
    Good luck!
    2009 M109R LE
    2015 Boss tins, Custom speedo and tach faces and LEDs. ISO Grips. Brake Away Cruise control. Cobra Swepts. Debeavered, Fi200R Fuel management, polished risers and trees, SS Brake lines, ATRE, Custom forward controls. HID kit. Ultimate seat and backrest. Dunlop E3s, 250 rear, Plastidipped rims, cobra solo rack