Clutch

Thread: Clutch

Default Clutch

First thanks for reading.
    I have a 2007 m109r which I purchased in Jan this year, the previous owner had fitted a new clutch ..i have the old clutch and receipt..now since I have owned it I have had a slipping issue under power but take it easy, it works fine. Also under acceleration the clutch lever takes up any slack and deceleration it loosens and leaves a small amount of slack. I have changed oil and filter and slacked of adjuster behind left front cover plate. Im thinking maybe previous never soaked plates, who knows, so a new clutch is going in ..unless anyone can give me a heads up..next any advice on what clutch to purchase I have seen carbon clutches for sale on ebay and also which springs ...any advice would be appreciated..many thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

If under acceleration, it is taking up slack to the point there is no freeplay left at the lever, yes it could be slipping. Normally, you want not running slack of two quarters between the inside end of the lever and the lever perch. And then when riding and accelerating, if there is no slack, make the not running slack a bit more. Keep adjusting it until you have just a wee bit of slack when accelerating.

I have an 06 with near 37,000 miles and still has the stock clutch. Not running or idling freeplay is a bit more than I like, but it works. I also have a B-King with a hydraulic clutch and still prefer the cable clutch over the hydraulic clutch.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING
    White 2004 Ford Lightning
    Blue/Black 2007 Ford Mustang
    Red/Black 1998 Ford Ranger

[QUOTE=Bigbroomy;4004920]First thanks for reading.
    I have a 2007 m109r which I purchased in Jan this year, the previous owner had fitted a new clutch ..i have the old clutch and receipt..now since I have owned it I have had a slipping issue under power but take it easy, it works fine. Also under acceleration the clutch lever takes up any slack and deceleration it loosens and leaves a small amount of slack. I have changed oil and filter and slacked of adjuster behind left front cover plate. Im thinking maybe previous never soaked plates, who knows, so a new clutch is going in ..unless anyone can give me a heads up..next any advice on what clutch to purchase I have seen carbon clutches for sale on ebay and also which springs ...any advice would be appreciated..many thanks[/QUOTE

How many miles on your 9. With the movement you describe in your clutch lever I would check your front lower motor mounts. Also, I would adjust the clutch first before replacing the clutch. There is a procedure to adjust the clutch properly. Google it you should be able to find the procedure on this site. One thing I remember is you start at the bottom of the cable.
    H.C. Velocity Pro, Cobra Power Pro Black, Cobra Engine Guards, ISO Blk Grips, National Cycle VStream Tour, Kuryakyn Switchblade Pegs, G/M TRE, .....

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

The only time I ever adjusted the bottom of mine was when I put a new cable on in 2014. Other than that, I do top only. I've never had the cases open on mine, going on 37,000 miles. Still have the stock lower front motor mounts as well.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING
    White 2004 Ford Lightning
    Blue/Black 2007 Ford Mustang
    Red/Black 1998 Ford Ranger

You should also consider the fact that when the previous owner fitted the new clutch he may not have done the first adjustment right which is inside the clutch casing ?. Again a google search will show you this.