Bike stalls while coming to a stop. Thanks to all the folks here

Thread: Bike stalls while coming to a stop. Thanks to all the folks here

Default Bike stalls while coming to a stop. Thanks to all the folks here

I wanted to thank this forum for again coming thru with great info about our bikes. My bike started getting in a habit of stalling on deceleration with the clutch engaged. It got bad fast. Within a couple days of it starting to happen intermittently it was almost every time. It was dangerous. I stalled in the middle of a busy intersection. While the bike would always restart, it took a couple seconds before she would fire up. Don't have to mention the embarrassment. It was so bad I started to plan my stops and restarts with a moving jump start worrying about draining my battery with too many restarts too quickly.

I came here and found quite a few threads about the pump strainer becoming clogged. I tried the Sea Foam with zero effect. Ordered a couple strainers I found on Ebay but coming from China to the USA is at least a month. Cheap price at $8 for 2. Ill comment on the quality when I receive them.

I had found one thread here where the member cleaned and blew it out with success. He had been riding with it for 10,000 miles after. Found another thread here that stated there was a good YouTube video on how to replace it. I found that video and it was very informative on how to remove the strainer from the pump without damaging anything. Sometimes just seeing a simple procedure is enough to give me the confidence to be able to tackle it.

I took my pump out last Friday and the Strainer filter was pretty black. I still had my doubts that something as simple as this could be causing the stalling problems.

I took it off and used Carburetor cleaner and compressed air to clean it. little nervous about the Carb cleaner eating the plastic strainer but it didn't harm it at all from what I could tell. I sprayed the Carb cleaner in the strainer where it connects to the pump. Filling it with cleaner and then blowing it out the same was. Basically flushing the strainer out in reverse of the fuel flow into the pump. That way I wasn't pushing the dirt thru the filter to the pump side. I managed to get the strainer back to looking somewhat white again.

Sure enough my bike is running great. Problems gone and it actually seems to be an improvement from how she was running before it got to that point.

I just want to thank everyone that's contributed to helping me solve my problem and make a new thread for others to find when diagnosing this problem on there own bike. If its stalling when engaging the clutch to stop....Its the Fuel filter at the pump. Replace it, but cleaning it seems to work also.
    09' C109RT Thunder Teardrop Intakes;Cobra PowrPro;GIpro TRE/gear indicator;cobra exhaust;Tsukayu 7" Stereo/GPS Boox One Fairing;Tsukayu Jumbo Strong bags;fender chrome; Rear Master cylinder Chrome;Tank bib;headlight visor,driving light visors,speedo visor and directional visors;Throttle lock; Kuryakyn cup holder;Kuryakyn mirrors;Kuryakyn Dually ISO Highway pegs;TMS Trunk; zXe head light and driving light bulbs;Draggers;Denali air horn

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by TheFNG View Post
    I wanted to thank this forum for again coming thru with great info about our bikes. My bike started getting in a habit of stalling on deceleration with the clutch engaged. It got bad fast. Within a couple days of it starting to happen intermittently it was almost every time. It was dangerous. I stalled in the middle of a busy intersection. While the bike would always restart, it took a couple seconds before she would fire up. Don't have to mention the embarrassment. It was so bad I started to plan my stops and restarts with a moving jump start worrying about draining my battery with too many restarts too quickly.

I came here and found quite a few threads about the pump strainer becoming clogged. I tried the Sea Foam with zero effect. Ordered a couple strainers I found on Ebay but coming from China to the USA is at least a month. Cheap price at $8 for 2. Ill comment on the quality when I receive them.

I had found one thread here where the member cleaned and blew it out with success. He had been riding with it for 10,000 miles after. Found another thread here that stated there was a good YouTube video on how to replace it. I found that video and it was very informative on how to remove the strainer from the pump without damaging anything. Sometimes just seeing a simple procedure is enough to give me the confidence to be able to tackle it.

I took my pump out last Friday and the Strainer filter was pretty black. I still had my doubts that something as simple as this could be causing the stalling problems.

I took it off and used Carburetor cleaner and compressed air to clean it. little nervous about the Carb cleaner eating the plastic strainer but it didn't harm it at all from what I could tell. I sprayed the Carb cleaner in the strainer where it connects to the pump. Filling it with cleaner and then blowing it out the same was. Basically flushing the strainer out in reverse of the fuel flow into the pump. That way I wasn't pushing the dirt thru the filter to the pump side. I managed to get the strainer back to looking somewhat white again.

Sure enough my bike is running great. Problems gone and it actually seems to be an improvement from how she was running before it got to that point.

I just want to thank everyone that's contributed to helping me solve my problem and make a new thread for others to find when diagnosing this problem on there own bike. If its stalling when engaging the clutch to stop....Its the Fuel filter at the pump. Replace it, but cleaning it seems to work also.
    Thanks for following up, this will save someone lots of headaches in the future. Good luck and enjoy that beast!

My bike is an 06. I've had to replace it three times since July 06. You're are lucky if you've only had to replace it once. I'm actually expecting to have to do it again here soon, happens around every 10 to 11,000 miles on mine.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING
    White 2004 Ford Lightning
    Blue/Black 2007 Ford Mustang
    Red/Black 1998 Ford Ranger

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by TheFNG View Post
    Hi, can you post a link to the thread you found and maybe the YouTube video for when it happens to us?
    66 Mustang Convertible; DR650