Risers and Running New Cables
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Risers and Running New Cables

Default Risers and Running New Cables

So after a lot of reading, everyone (mostly) suggests getting new longer cables for risers. I'm planning on getting a new set of cables, but is this everything I need to replace to put on new risers?

1 Pull cable
    1 Push cable
    1 Clutch cable
    1 Brake 3 line kit with bolts like factory setup.

Is there anything else I'll need?

Also, anyone have a good video on rerunning all the cables? I've never done it before, and while it seems easy, I like to be prepared with knowledge.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member

Sounds about right, and brake fluid of course. Which risers, +2? If so most use +3 cables, although I feel like my clutch cable should have been +2, it’s a little long. Running the new ones are self explanatory once you get into it. One thing you want to do is run the clutch cable a little differently down by the motor. The factory has it going in a tight space Search it, you will find a bunch of posts on it. If I have time I’ll take a pic tomorrow. Also, tie the new clutch cable into the old one and use it as a fish to pull it through, will save you some headaches

As far as the clutch cable goes, an OEM C109 cable is about 2 inches loner than a stock M109 one.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by DakS83 View Post
    As far as the clutch cable goes, an OEM C109 cable is about 2 inches loner than a stock M109 one.
    Are the inner to outer cable lengths the same if you get my meaning.

Very Active Member

I used +3" cables when I installed the 2" risers and , even with that , the install of the trottle cables was difficult . I can imagine doubling the difficulty if the cables had been +2" instead of +3" , so my suggestion is to get the +3" cables .
    The clutch cable will present no problem . To the contrary , because it is longer, it gives you more flexibility to route it around .
    The front brake cables you will place them inside the cowl , so it will look correct , no problem there , although you need to be creative , lol...
    Last edited by josey088; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by josey088 View Post
    I used +3" cables when I installed the 2" risers and , even with that , the install of the trottle cables was difficult . I can imagine doubling the difficulty if the cables had been +2" instead of +3" , so my suggestion is to get the +3" cables .
    Thanks everyone. I'll likely go with the +3" cables. Can anyone tell me a good price on a set of cables? I found a whole set for $280 on Meancycles.com, but I've seen a lot of people saying they got their sets for $150ish on other posts.

I just did this on my bike w/o buying new cables....

There is 3 videos by this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qb9MfZYq3A&t=430s
    Part 1, 2 and 3

Everything looks really good, except for my clutch cable (just cosmetic). It functions fine no scraping the tank or the tree. One work of advice, you dont need to remove the triple tree... I dont have a bike lift so that I just removed the housings on the handles bars to reroute the cables. Let me know if you want me to send a pic of what it looks like w/o redoing the cables

Quote Originally Posted by gino33 View Post
    I just did this on my bike w/o buying new cables....

There is 3 videos by this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qb9MfZYq3A&t=430s
    Part 1, 2 and 3

Everything looks really good, except for my clutch cable (just cosmetic). It functions fine no scraping the tank or the tree. One work of advice, you dont need to remove the triple tree... I dont have a bike lift so that I just removed the housings on the handles bars to reroute the cables. Let me know if you want me to send a pic of what it looks like w/o redoing the cables

I would absolutely love to see a picture. That would be much appreciated!

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by slooker View Post
    I would absolutely love to see a picture. That would be much appreciated!
    That is a very old video . I watched it years ago and after more researching , I decided to do the wright thing and bought the cables.
    As far as I know, the clutch will likely scratch the tank ... big percentage that would do that and the bike will also not turn completely all the way to one side , so you would need to be concerned of that factor .
    The last thing is that it would look very crappy . but it is your bike , so if you think it is ok, then it is ok .
    Last edited by josey088; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:24 PM.

That is a very old video . I watched it years ago and after more researching , I decided to do the wright thing and bought the cables.
    As far as I know, the clutch will likely scratch the tank ... big percentage that would do that and the bike will also not turn completely all the way to one side , so you would need to be concerned of that factor .
    The last thing is that it would look very crappy . but it is your bike , so if you think it is ok, then it is ok .
    I've resigned myself to getting a new set of cables.

At this point I mostly want to know if $280 is a good price for a set of +3" cables, or where I should be looking for them.

Very Active Member

At this point I mostly want to know if $280 is a good price for a set of +3" cables, or where I should be looking for them.
    You are doing the wright thing , the right way .
    Get online on ebay and look for "Motion Pro" armored cables +3" for the M109r . You have the option of ordering either SS or black cables .
    I think that $280.00 is enough .
    You will need
    1)push trottle
    2)pull trottle
    3)front brake 3 pieces (it is supposed to come with complete hardware )
    4)clutch

There is also MeanCycles . This option is a complete kit and will save you time and errors ordering individual parts . I would go with this . Call them first to make sure they have it in stock and how long to ship.
    https://www.meancycles.com/store/par...bpartID=580268
    Last edited by josey088; 3 Weeks Ago at 12:53 PM.

You are doing the wright thing , the right way .
    Get online on ebay and look for "Motion Pro" armored cables +3" for the M109r . You have the option of ordering either SS or black cables .
    I think that $280.00 is enough .
    You will need
    1)push trottle
    2)pull trottle
    3)front brake 3 pieces (it is supposed to come with complete hardware )
    4)clutch

There is also MeanCycles . This option is a complete kit and will save you time and errors ordering individual parts . I would go with this . Call them first to make sure they have it in stock and how long to ship.
    https://www.meancycles.com/store/par...bpartID=580268
    Thanks for the info. The meancycles kit was the one I was looking at. I just want sure if that was a good price since it's hard to find the +3" cables.

I'll get them ordered and watch some videos. Thanks for all the info!

Very Active Member

No problem ... have fun !!!!

No problem ... have fun !!!!
    So one of the push, pull and clutch cables from here (all +4"):

https://www.motionpro.com/c/armor-coat-cables?v=12367

And then this brake line kit:

https://www.meancycles.com/store/par...?PartID=229763

Gets me everything I need, right?

Do I need to worry about Meancycles saying that one is for 2006-2007?

Sorry for all the questions... I want to make sure I get the right gear before I start running cables and figure out I don't have the right gear.

So one of the push, pull and clutch cables from here (all +4"):

https://www.motionpro.com/c/armor-coat-cables?v=12367

And then this brake line kit:

Gets me everything I need, right?

Do I need to worry about Meancycles saying that one is for 2006-2007?

Sorry for all the questions... I want to make sure I get the right gear before I start running cables and figure out I don't have the right gear.
    I just did the math and realized that that's ~$280 anyways, so I'll just buy this kit from Meancycles.com and make life easy for me... sorry, long day...

https://www.meancycles.com/store/par...?partID=223578

Assuming they have it in stock.

I did about 300 miles today on my 109, and I desperately need to get the risers installed. My back and shoulders are killing me.

Late... but here are the pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.†

Name:	800A6B09-0462-4DC8-AF55-2928B6668709_1598841838347.jpg†
Views:	24†
Size:	22.7 KB†
ID:	389620Click image for larger version.†

Name:	6BBD9A37-F7A4-421C-A21F-FD5445FC4CE0_1598841879630.jpg†
Views:	21†
Size:	27.3 KB†
ID:	389622Click image for larger version.†

Name:	36858B4D-3BB9-4C61-B8F0-595539C31331_1598841916798.jpg†
Views:	19†
Size:	31.7 KB†
ID:	389624Click image for larger version.†

Name:	9B70309E-0064-4648-B2E7-D739602794F4_1598841939792.jpg†
Views:	20†
Size:	19.5 KB†
ID:	389626

Quote Originally Posted by gino33 View Post
    Late... but here are the pics
    No worries, I appreciate it!

Very Active Member

I just did the math and realized that that's ~$280 anyways, so I'll just buy this kit from Meancycles.com and make life easy for me... sorry, long day...

https://www.meancycles.com/store/par...?partID=223578

Assuming they have it in stock.

I did about 300 miles today on my 109, and I desperately need to get the risers installed. My back and shoulders are killing me.
    You don`t want +4" cables ... you want +3" cables . Get the Mean Cycles complete kit and save yourself a lot of headaches . Make sure the color you want , SS or black .
    Get also some zip ties in Home Depot . They have them on either black plastic or SS metal ... very cool if you choose SS cables . I mention it because your post has a black handlebars /controls bike , so I assume you would want black cables /plastic black zip ties to tie up the cables around .
    Last edited by josey088; 3 Weeks Ago at 10:15 AM.

You don`t want +4" cables ... you want +3" cables . Get the Mean Cycles complete kit and save yourself a lot of headaches . Make sure the color you want , SS or black .
    Yeah, that was the conclusion I came up with.... A bit slower than you did.

Very Active Member

You know , if you are not too handy you can take the bike to a motorcycle shop and have the cables installed for a few dollars , It would save you a ton of frustration and many tries . It will also be done right . It will take about 2 hours max . Piece of cake for a bike mech .
    Clutch adjustment correctly is very important so you would not screw up the clutch . Trottle cables are a pain in the ass , too . 1) I would either take the bike to a Suzuki dealer as a first choice to have the risers /cables done or 2) go to a good motorcycle shop .
    If you want to attempt it yourself, get online and watch a few videos , take it easy and go slow .
    The install of the risers is very easy . The cables , well... on the clutch , you need to check the route for the cable and the adjustment after .
    You cut make the installation and save the money and , after that , take it to a shop to have the cables adjusted , trottle and clutch ... this is a good alternative that will save you money and will get the cables adjusted correctly .
    I am forgetting something very, very important : the brake cables will need to be bleed correctly on the two front calipers after replacement of the front cables . That is something that you absolutely have to do correctly in order to have brakes . If you don`t know how to do that , a visit to a shop will be the best option .
    Cheers...

ps: I myself didn`t know how to do the cables install . I was new to motorcycle mechanics then , years ago , but I had a friend that helped me and it was really not a big deal ... but you have to have someone that knows how to do it .
    Last edited by josey088; 3 Weeks Ago at 10:38 AM.

So after a lot of reading, everyone (mostly) suggests getting new longer cables for risers. I'm planning on getting a new set of cables, but is this everything I need to replace to put on new risers?

1 Pull cable
    1 Push cable
    1 Clutch cable
    1 Brake 3 line kit with bolts like factory setup.

Is there anything else I'll need?

Also, anyone have a good video on rerunning all the cables? I've never done it before, and while it seems easy, I like to be prepared with knowledge.
    Slooker, this is a bit off topic, but I just wanted to share my thoughts with you. First of all, your bike is beautiful Bro. However, have you considered adding a Chin Spoiler to your bike, and having it painted either white to match the white color on your bike, or black to match the black accented parts already on your bike, along with having your Derby customized by Narendra (He’s a member of this Forum, located in B.C. Canada), and having it painted white to match the bike, with black mesh to backfill the openings in the customized Derby Cover, or the edges of the customized design in the Derby Cover trimmed in black to match the black colored parts already on the bike? As well, some white wheel lettering would be a very nice look on your bike as well. As I was admiring your bike, those thoughts came to mind, and I just thought I would share them with you.
    Last edited by JUDAH-9; 3 Weeks Ago at 01:02 PM.

You know , if you are not too handy you can take the bike to a motorcycle shop and have the cables installed for a few dollars , It would save you a ton of frustration and many tries . It will also be done right . It will take about 2 hours max . Piece of cake for a bike mech .
    Clutch adjustment correctly is very important so you would not screw up the clutch . Trottle cables are a pain in the ass , too . 1) I would either take the bike to a Suzuki dealer as a first choice to have the risers /cables done or 2) go to a good motorcycle shop .
    If you want to attempt it yourself, get online and watch a few videos , take it easy and go slow .
    The install of the risers is very easy . The cables , well... on the clutch , you need to check the route for the cable and the adjustment after .
    You cut make the installation and save the money and , after that , take it to a shop to have the cables adjusted , trottle and clutch ... this is a good alternative that will save you money and will get the cables adjusted correctly .
    I am forgetting something very, very important : the brake cables will need to be bleed correctly on the two front calipers after replacement of the front cables . That is something that you absolutely have to do correctly in order to have brakes . If you don`t know how to do that , a visit to a shop will be the best option .
    Cheers...

ps: I myself didn`t know how to do the cables install . I was new to motorcycle mechanics then , years ago , but I had a friend that helped me and it was really not a big deal ... but you have to have someone that knows how to do it .

Yeah, my plan was to go ahead and have a shop do it. I waffled back and forth, but a shop told me 3-4 hours, meaning it would take me 6-8.

Sadly, MeanCycles doesn't have the cables in stock, so they quoted me two weeks after I order. :/

Seems like ebay is my only option if I want to get it all done before my next ride down to Knoxville.

Quote Originally Posted by JUDAH-9 View Post
    Slooker, this is a bit off topic, but I just wanted to share my thoughts with you. First of all your bike is beautiful Bro. However, have you considered adding a Chin Spoiler to your bike, and having it painted either white to match the white color on your bike, or black to match the black accented parts already on your bike, along with having your Derby customized by Narendra (Heís a member of this Forum, located in B.C. Canada), and having it painted white to match the bike, with black mesh to backfill the openings in the customized Derby Cover, or the edges of the customized design in the Derby Cover trimmed in black to match the black colored parts already on the bike? As well, some white wheel lettering would be a very nice look on your bike as well. As I was admiring your bike, those thoughts came to mind, and I just thought I would share them with you.
    Thanks man!

I love my bike (and I've loved it every day except the 300 mile ride yesterday. ). The derby cover has been on my list and is bookmarked in my very long bike mod list. I hadn't thought about getting a chin cover, but it's probably going on my list as well. Do you have any photos of the wheel lettering? I'm definitely intrigued. Appearance wise, after I get my risers, I'm looking at adding some blue LED lighting most likely.

I appreciate the thoughts!

Thanks man!

I love my bike (and I've loved it every day except the 300 mile ride yesterday. ). The derby cover has been on my list and is bookmarked in my very long bike mod list. I hadn't thought about getting a chin cover, but it's probably going on my list as well. Do you have any photos of the wheel lettering? I'm definitely intrigued. Appearance wise, after I get my risers, I'm looking at adding some blue LED lighting most likely.

I appreciate the thoughts!
    I take it you were was sore after that 300 mike ride. If so, it sounds like you still have the stock seat. You can greatly improve your comfort for long or short distance riding by investing in either a Corbin Seat, Ultimate Seat, or a Gel Seat. Iíve had all three, and the Corbin Seat is by bar the best, in my opinion and experiences.

Hereís a pic of a black wheel with white M109R wheel lettering.

@josey88

Will that work for the brake line? Since MeanCycles is at least 2 weeks out, I'm ordering directly from MotionPro for the three cables, but they don't have the brake lines as far as I can see.

I take it you were was sore after that 300 mike ride. If so, it sounds like you still have the stock seat. You can greatly improve your comfort for long or short distance riding by investing in either a Corbin Seat, Ultimate Seat, or a Gel Seat. Iíve had all three, and the Corbin Seat is by bar the best, in my opinion and experiences.

Hereís a pic of a black wheel with white M109R wheel lettering.

I think you forgot to add the picture. :)

I do have the stock seat, and I was super sore after the long ride, but it's mostly (I think) because I'm 6'4" and I have to lean forward a lot to reach the bars, and so my neck is at a weird angle when I look at the road. I think the risers will really help, but the seat is next on my list after risers anyways. Thanks for the info about the Corbin seat. I was leaning towards the Ultimate seat, but I'll definitely take a look at the Corbin now.

I think you forgot to add the picture. :)

I do have the stock seat, and I was super sore after the long ride, but it's mostly (I think) because I'm 6'4" and I have to lean forward a lot to reach the bars, and so my neck is at a weird angle when I look at the road. I think the risers will really help, but the seat is next on my list after risers anyways. Thanks for the info about the Corbin seat. I was leaning towards the Ultimate seat, but I'll definitely take a look at the Corbin now.
    I tried adding the pic, but it didnít populate for some reason. Iíll try again. BTW, at 6í4Ē tall you should have less problems reaching the bars than someone like myself, whoís only 5í7Ē tall. Personally, I prefer the stock Risers, because it allows me to lean slightly forward when Iím rolling at a high rate of speed, so I donít feel like Iím being pulled off the bike. Iím certain the reason you were sore had everything to do with you riding with the stock seat. Once/if you go to a Corbin Seat, youíll immediately feel the drastic difference in comfort. Sure, the Risers will certainly help with you having a more erect riding posture, which should help with the angle of your neck.

I tried adding the pic, but it didnít populate for some reason. Iíll try again. BTW, at 6í4Ē tall you should have less problems reaching the bars than someone like myself, whoís only 5í7Ē tall. Personally, I prefer the stock Risers, because it allows me to lean slightly forward when Iím rolling at a high rate of speed, so I donít feel like Iím being pulled off the bike. Iím certain the reason you were sore had everything to do with you riding with the stock seat. Once/if you go to a Corbin Seat, youíll immediately feel the drastic difference in comfort. Sure, the Risers will certainly help with you having a more erect riding posture, which should help with the angle of your neck.
    Makes sense. I have short legs and a long torso, so I sit really high up on the bike, so I definitely have to lean forward a lot to reach the bars. The seat is definitely on the list too, but this ride was definitely killer on my neck, more so than my back side.

Okay Slooker, I think I found something you can get a good visual from. Please click on the link below, and let me know what you think.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-...MAAOSw4TVeMVZI

Okay Slooker, I think I found something you can get a good visual from. Please click on the link below, and let me know what you think.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-...MAAOSw4TVeMVZI
    That looks pretty cool. I'd have to figure out what I'd want on there.