Horse power ?

Thread: Horse power ?

Default Horse power ?

So Suzuki lists the m109 at 127 horsepower. I just had a dyno done and it only clocked 112 horsepower.... this is with 2 in 1 exhaust , big air intakes and a flashed ecu. What am I missing here ?

Velocity pro short, flashed ecu, XXX Big air intakes, kuryakyn grips, de-beavered, led head light, Blaze pin turn signals, led knight rider strip.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

That is because listings from the manufacturers, all manufacturers, are listings at the crank----not at the rear wheel, like a dyno is. Your dyno readings are a somewhat low considering yours are closer to what stock 9's have at the wheel. Also, depending on the dyno and the tuner, those numbers could be high. Every dyno reads differently and can be set to read differently depending on correction factors and smoothing factors. Might post up your results, if you have them, as we can tell you all that from those print outs.
    I am almost always working on a bike. If you have questions and need an answer quickly, just call me. 317-507-0940. Always up late. There will be time for sleep when I am dead!

Here are the readings. He mentioned I'm running a little lean.

Does this link work better for reading ? --- >>> https://imgur.com/gallery/Jw7tf0Y
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200823_173450_1598218560234.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	15.6 KB 
ID:	389588   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200823_173440_1598218571642.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	17.8 KB 
ID:	389590  
    Last edited by Loki; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:51 PM.

Velocity pro short, flashed ecu, XXX Big air intakes, kuryakyn grips, de-beavered, led head light, Blaze pin turn signals, led knight rider strip.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

I would agree with slightly lean. Was the ECU a full flash with fuel or just a limitations flash? Who did the flash? The dyno runs should have been done on smoothing 5. Would have shown slightly different numbers.
    I am almost always working on a bike. If you have questions and need an answer quickly, just call me. 317-507-0940. Always up late. There will be time for sleep when I am dead!

Smoothing 5 ? Yes bering c did the flash.. im happy with it... just thought the numbers would have been a little higher

Very Active Member Bering_C_Sparky's Avatar

The ECU was tuned by us.
    The OP messaged us on FB so figured I would come here to respond.

The ECU tune is an older revision that was built using unified fuel and ignition maps.
    It was also done before we purchased our Eddie-Current Dyno, so it was built primarily by road tuning and then the top end was done on a dyno owned by other shop who we used for dyno time back then. There dyno was a very old Inertia dyno, you cannot load an Inertia Dyno like you can a Eddie-Current dyno so that may explain why the mid WOT AFR drifted a bit as seen in the photo above.

As far as the HP goes, I can only shake my head and smile when I hear people say "But the stock M109R pulls 128 HP". (It does not)
    The few stock M109Rs we have run on our dyno were closer to 105 hp.
    As Matt said above you can get very different results from different dyno's.

Another shop advertises that a stock M109R pulls 114 hp on their dyno and a modded and tuned M109R pulls 124 hp on their dyno.
    So that would be a 10 hp gain.

We show 105 hp on stock M109R and generally see between 112 hp to 115 hp on our ECU tunes by mail.
    So that would be a 7 hp - 10 hp gain.

Sounds a little like potato - potato to me.

Sure there are ways to get more HP out of the M109R but we are not trying to max anything out chasing big HP numbers with out ECU tunes by mail.
    Since our tunes are built for the masses using our bike and sold through the mail we keep things a bit on the conservative side and still offer a good running, inexpensive option.

For those only looking for a big top end hp number, you would need to purchase a PC5, X-TRE and take your bike to your local dyno tuner and see if you ride out with bigger top end hp numbers and an overall better running bike after spending $700 - $1000......its a crap shoot in most case.

Most dyno tuners who get you in and out in a couple of hours are usually just downloading a generic map off the dynojet website and brushing up the top end WOT column on the dyno and down the road you go.
    If you have a good dyno tuner near you that you can trust to work up the entire map for you then you are lucky, most guys do not.

I am not saying bigger HP numbers are not possible, sure they are, but I have also seen lots of guys spend big money only to come out less than 110 hp top end and complain about how the bike runs in the lower cruise areas of the map.

Have also seen guys post they got 115 - 117 hp using the Cobra Auto Tuner, but the couple of M109R's with Cobra Auto Tuners we ran on our dyno pulled 100 hp.
    Those of you on FB probably also seen the post a couple weeks ago where a guy was complaining about his 98 hp results with the Cobra Auto Tuner.
    So you can see results can vary from one dyno scenario to another.
    If everyone reading this post did a dyno pull on their bike today, I am sure we would see varying results from the same mods.

Anyway, the OP got this tune 17 months ago and this is the first we have heard from him about it, so we can only assume that it has been running fine all this time.
    We have already informed the OP that he can update his tune to a newer revision done our Eddie-Current Dyno and that will take care of the drifting AFR seen in the photo above.

Hit me up on FB or at [email protected] if you have any questions.
    I don't visit this forum much anymore so will likely not see any responses to this post here for some time.

BCS
    Last edited by Bering_C_Sparky; 3 Weeks Ago at 06:20 AM.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar

It also should be noted that each bike and each dyno will have different results. My 06 was bone stock and did 108 rwhp, and I was very happy with it. My buddy's 07 had exhaust intake and a tuner and was able to put out around 123-125. Then I bought my 07, and could tell by the seat of the pants that it was a lot stronger. We went back to that same dyno about 2 years later and my 07 (bone stock) put down 117 rwhp. I thought the dyno was wrong, but then my buddy put his 07 on with the mods, and got the same 123 rwhp, just like 2 years prior. Different bikes, different dynos, different results. Just as long as it runs good and smooth, that's all I care about. But I do wish I had done a couple of mods to my 07, just to see what it would do

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    So Suzuki lists the m109 at 127 horsepower. I just had a dyno done and it only clocked 112 horsepower.... this is with 2 in 1 exhaust , big air intakes and a flashed ecu. What am I missing here ?
    Loki just what futurR said~!

Quote Originally Posted by futurR View Post
    That is because listings from the manufacturers, all manufacturers, are listings at the crank----not at the rear wheel, like a dyno is. Your dyno readings are a somewhat low considering yours are closer to what stock 9's have at the wheel. Also, depending on the dyno and the tuner, those numbers could be high. Every dyno reads differently and can be set to read differently depending on correction factors and smoothing factors. Might post up your results, if you have them, as we can tell you all that from those print outs.
    Have yet to dyno my 109 prob will next summer.... but my 2002 ROUSH Mustang I did years ago and this is exactly what he said...

You have to look at what power your loosing to the make it to the rear wheel most guys claimed 15% loss by the time you reach rear wheel...

FORD CLAIMED STOCK

• 260 @ 5,250 rpm Horsepower = so really only 221
    • 302 @ 4,000 rpm Torque = so really only 256

My car was FAST for naturally aspirated 4.6L...

I had DiabloSport chip with custom flash, 3:73s and off-road X-Pipe with no cats into the Roush Exhaust, cold air induction...

She was putting 242.96 HP & 285.94 LBF-FT AT the REAR WHEEL...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	06FebDyno.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	389596
    ~Stitch

2008 M109R2 AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. by STARK INDUSTRIES

I've dyno'd my bike (see attached sheet). I pulled 110hp. I have K&N filters and Cobra fi2000r (I'm using the factory set adjustment on pots). Some factors that are not spoken of are fuel and engine temp. I make sure I use 97 grade gas with no ethanol. Here in southern Ontario that is Shell and Esso. Any other brand and grade will have ethanol. With regards to temp, especially with a dyno, is that even with dyno fans the bike will get too hot after a few runs which will result in poorer results. The dyno guy said that I could spend $1000s and get maybe 5-10 hp more ... not worth it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	M109r Dyno 2019-08-29.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	389606  
    Power, looks and style ... nuff said !!