Clutch Issue?

Thread: Clutch Issue?

Default 2012 Clutch Issue?

109’ers,
    I have a 2012, with 15k miles. I was on the interstate cruising and all of a sudden rpm’s went high, and seemed like I lost my clutch (No power to the wheel). I coasted to the side of the road, and had an extremely hard time getting my bike back in gear. Got it in gear, and limped back on the road in 1st & 2nd gears only. When all of this was happening my gas light came on. At the gas station, my bike would not go to neutral at all. Had to start in 1st gear... not fun. Finally at home and bike in the garage, and in neutral.

Can anyone help me diagnose my issue?

Thanks

I forgot to mention that my key was really hot to the touch when I shut the bike down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by A10bolt; 08-23-2020 at 12:15 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Broken clutch cable? Does the clutch still feel like it has resistance when you pull the lever in?

Quote Originally Posted by DakS83 View Post
    Broken clutch cable? Does the clutch still feel like it has resistance when you pull the lever in?

DakS83

Thanks for your reply, I will look at my clutch cable first, then if needed replace my clutch. I've seen on this forum, that the "hub nut" (if I have the term right) could be loose or even stripped. That has me worried, if I attempt the clutch re[placement on myself.

What is strange, I have not heard of an issue with 2012 109's clutch system.

Thanks again for your help.

A10bolt

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

If it lost "drive" while going down the interstate assuming in a high gear then it doesn't sound like a cable. If the cable broke then it would not shift down well but it wouldn't lose "drive".

Quote Originally Posted by UVATom View Post
    If it lost "drive" while going down the interstate assuming in a high gear then it doesn't sound like a cable. If the cable broke then it would not shift down well but it wouldn't lose "drive".
    UVATom,

Thanks for replying. Yes I lost drive in a high gear, but I could not get the bike in gear until I coasted to a stop on the side of the road. That's when my gears became difficult to use. I could not get the bike in neutral until I got it home. I think I was lucky to get it in neutral.

I just checked my clutch cable operation... It seems normal, not loose or any slack. But it has been parked since Saturday.

Thanks

UVATom,
    After researching/reading... it does look like my clutch cable is tight (needs adjusting) from the bottom. I tried to adjust it from the top, but no luck.

Any tips / lessons learned before I start the cable adjustment from the bottom?

Thanks

If you dont have it, download this, it might help :

Main service manual:
    https://www.manualslib.com/download/...r-Vzr1800.html

Supplemental manual 2010/11 and UP:
    https://www.manualslib.com/download/...i-Vzr1800.html

Owners manual:
    https://www.manualslib.com/download/...zr1800-Bz.html

Quote Originally Posted by thevili View Post
    If you dont have it, download this, it might help :

Main service manual:
    https://www.manualslib.com/download/...r-Vzr1800.html

Supplemental manual 2010/11 and UP:
    https://www.manualslib.com/download/...i-Vzr1800.html

Owners manual:
    https://www.manualslib.com/download/...zr1800-Bz.html

thevili,

Much appreciated. Yes, I have those on my cell phone and my computer. Even printed the clutch cable sections, so I have them in my hands when I start unscrewing things.

I guess, I did not have much, if any, "play" in my clutch on my M50. I was comparing my M50 clutch feel to my M109. I guess that's where I made my mistake.

Thanks again... can't wait to fix this, so I can ride again...

A10bolt

Update

I adjusted my clutch cable today... Twice. My 1st attempt, I thought I did the adjustment correctly, but it was too loose. On my test ride I could not get the bike in gear... Plus it stalled out and would not start. Finally got it started and back home. On my 2nd attempt, I got it adjusted properly, but on my 2nd test ride my bike seemed to rev higher in 1st and 2nd gears, but seemed like it lacked power. I could shift to all gears and could shift to neutral.

So, I'm asking the group from what I'm describing if you think I need to adjust my clutch or install a new/rebuilt clutch?

Thanks for your assist in this.

A10bolt

Last edited by A10bolt; 09-14-2020 at 01:53 AM. Reason: Update

Hey M109ers,
    So I took my (new to me) bike to my mechanic this week for him to look at/replace my clutch.

I have only put about 200 miles on the bike since I got it, and this is what my clutch looked liked when he opened it up.

What could the previous owner could have done to get the clutch in this condition? Am I ticked off? Yes, but it’s being fixed now. Thanks for letting me vent a little.

With that kind of damage be sure you also drop your drain pan to clean everything out and pull the 2 sump screens to clean them good as well.

FYI....there is no gasket on the pan, just use a small bead of black RTV.

Hey Stalker,
    Thanks for the heads-up! My mechanic is on top of it. He already told me about the extra work that is needed.
    A10bolt

Update...
    My 9 is out of the shop and shifting real smooth now.

Thanks for everyone's help!

A10bolt

Atenbolt, any idea what cause the problem with the clutch?

Metalman,
    Not really sure what caused this damage. But my mechanic thinks the the previous owner was racing and/or downshifting from a high rate of speed. He explained that those two actions are real heavy on the clutch operation. But not positive on what the direct cause was.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by A10bolt View Post
    Metalman,
    Not really sure what caused this damage. But my mechanic thinks the the previous owner was racing and/or downshifting from a high rate of speed. He explained that those two actions are real heavy on the clutch operation. But not positive on what the direct cause was.
    Thanks
    Make sure you have enough freeplay in the clutch cable at both ends so you don't burn up this clutch

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

M109Dreamer,
    Thanks for the heads-up. My mechanic asked me to bring it back after approx 200 miles ridden, to check the clutch adjustment.