found a screw in my tire....sh#t!

Thread: found a screw in my tire....sh#t!

Default found a screw in my tire....sh#t!

was just washing my 2018 BOSS and decided to check tire pressure(try and do it every couple weeks). noticed it was 20psi low. was checking the tire while airing it back up and noticed a big ass screw in it. bike only has 3k miles on it. basically new. got it late last summer. so had to order a new one. went with the Michelin Scorcher(stock size). I think the new tire is stamped with H-D in the sidewall but you really have to look to see it. checked the specs and it looks like that one is almost an inch wider in the same size as the OEM tire. why can't this happen when the tire is worn out...right?!?

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member BIG MIKE 109R's Avatar

I feel your pain. I had less than 1000 miles on my new Dunlop E3 when I ran over a utility knife blade.

JESUS IS LORD! 2008 Candy Max Orange Debeavered, Yana Shiki 2" bones, Grasshopper backrest, V&H Big Shots, Dunlop Elite-3 250 rear, Dunlop D251 150 front, LED brake lights, micro brite rear turn signals, Arlen Ness billet chrome grips, smoothie rear fender, ATRE, Wolo horn, Scorp motor mounts, Gel seat, Chrome M109R derby cover, A&R 6K HID.
    I fly low, those who fly low, fly long! BIG MIKE

Quote Originally Posted by BIG MIKE 109R View Post
    I feel your pain. I had less than 1000 miles on my new Dunlop E3 when I ran over a utility knife blade.
    [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.m109riders.com/forums/images/smilies/icon_twisted.gif[/IMG]
    the only good thing bout this is that it's a slow leak. i can air it up and ride to the shop to get the new tire mounted, instead of having to trailer it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Years ago, was riding my Yamaha Fazer home from the shop after getting new tires. Picked up a screw on the way home. Put a tubeless tire repair in it and rode it til the tire was bald. Have done the same once on my Nine since I've owned it. Currently have a tubeless tire repair on my Mustang, Lightning and Ranger. I will not throw out a tire that has thousands of miles left on it because of a stupid screw or nail. The knife blade, I'd just have it patched from the inside.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING
    White 2004 Ford Lightning
    Blue/Black 2007 Ford Mustang
    Red/Black 1998 Ford Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by RFM1009 View Post
    the only good thing bout this is that it's a slow leak. i can air it up and ride to the shop to get the new tire mounted, instead of having to trailer it.
    We were on a 40 mile lunch cruise when my tire went flat about five miles away from the diner. Blacklightning (Keith) rode back home and picked up the trailer. After picking up my bike, we continued to lunch.

JESUS IS LORD! 2008 Candy Max Orange Debeavered, Yana Shiki 2" bones, Grasshopper backrest, V&H Big Shots, Dunlop Elite-3 250 rear, Dunlop D251 150 front, LED brake lights, micro brite rear turn signals, Arlen Ness billet chrome grips, smoothie rear fender, ATRE, Wolo horn, Scorp motor mounts, Gel seat, Chrome M109R derby cover, A&R 6K HID.

Quote Originally Posted by cbxer55 View Post
    Years ago, was riding my Yamaha Fazer home from the shop after getting new tires. Picked up a screw on the way home. Put a tubeless tire repair in it and rode it til the tire was bald. Have done the same once on my Nine since I've owned it. Currently have a tubeless tire repair on my Mustang, Lightning and Ranger. I will not throw out a tire that has thousands of miles left on it because of a stupid screw or nail. The knife blade, I'd just have it patched from the inside.
    I thought about patching it but under the advice of the family memebers on this forum I decided to replace it.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar

We were on a 40 mile lunch cruise when my tire went flat about five miles away from the diner. Blacklightning (Keith) rode back home and picked up the trailer. After picking up my bike, we continued to lunch.
    I remember that day, and was just in the area where you had that flat this past Friday. Seems like we get to have all the fun. But lunch was good. The good thing about having a trailer is that you never know when it will be needed. But atleast you were in one piece this time. Last time you bike was on my trailer was after your accident in Garner. I remember asking KD how you were doing as we were loading your trailer and he said, "I think he just got the wind knocked out of him". Then on Sunday when I went by the hospital and you told me about the broken ribs and stuff. All I could think is that KD must be a tough old bird to think that broken ribs and stuff count as "getting the wind knocked out of you". We can laugh now, but you were definitely blessed that day. When I had my accident afterwards, I told Enoch I had the wind knocked out of me. But my rib was broken also. Not a very good year.

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    I remember that day, and was just in the area where you had that flat this past Friday. Seems like we get to have all the fun. But lunch was good. The good thing about having a trailer is that you never know when it will be needed. But atleast you were in one piece this time. Last time you bike was on my trailer was after your accident in Garner. I remember asking KD how you were doing as we were loading your trailer and he said, "I think he just got the wind knocked out of him". Then on Sunday when I went by the hospital and you told me about the broken ribs and stuff. All I could think is that KD must be a tough old bird to think that broken ribs and stuff count as "getting the wind knocked out of you". We can laugh now, but you were definitely blessed that day. When I had my accident afterwards, I told Enoch I had the wind knocked out of me. But my rib was broken also. Not a very good year.
    That was a tough year for us riding. I was averaging 10K miles a year before my accident.

well the new tire is on. so far i like it. have yet to really test it, other than the ride home from the shop. shop only aired it to 35psi. so i did have to air it up a little. probably take a long ride today to test it out. weather here in NW Montana today is supposed to be in the 80s and sunny.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200829_085756_1598713249765.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	34.5 KB 
ID:	389614  

Let the Good Times Roll!! For the last seven years after riding my bike, I always put it on the jack and spin the tires looking for nails as part of my post-trip. Then I pre-trip before every ride no matter how far the ride.

Let the Good Times Roll!! For the last seven years after riding my bike, I always put it on the jack and spin the tires looking for nails as part of my post-trip. Then I pre-trip before every ride no matter how far the ride.
    yeah i check tire pressure every couple weeks. got a new motorcycle lift. guess i should be using it to do that.

I check my air pressure before every ride. I have a compressor, so it's easy to add air when needed. For some reason, the Metzelers that are on the bike now rarely if ever need air. They hold air pressure superbly. The Shinkos on my B-King are the same. I air them to 42 psi, and only add if they get below 40 psi. I have a jack as well, and keep the bikes chocked vertical at all times when in the garage.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01010001.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	389616  
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

I have started using nitrogen. It seems to hold pressure a lot better thru all temperatures.

Where does one get nitrogen?
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

I picked up a rock that looked more like a triangular tooth and lost pressure on a ride home.. Not only was there a cut in the tire about a CM long but the loss in pressure over a 100KM ride squared off the tire. I got a new set of Avons and a set of these to continuously monitor the pressure. I also sprung for the "t-valves" so I could add and release pressure if needed. So far they work great!

https://my-fobo.com/product-family/FOBO_Bike_2

The Polaris Indian shop and our 1 major dealer and a lot of the smaller shops all have nitrogen in their
    shops where I live.
    They use it also in aircrafts and small plane tires , cold and hot temps doesn’t effect it much!

https://cessnaowner.org/nitrogen-vs-...to-your-tires/

Many larger tire places do have a machine which extracts Nitrogen
    directly from the air. Costco titre shop does have them as well.