Clutch issue

Thread: Clutch issue

Very Active Member

Default Clutch issue

I'm not sure what is going on with my clutch! Every once in a while, when I release the clutch it feels like I've dumped the clutch, but I feel/hear a whine like something is slipping. I've wondered if it is the tube nut causing this, but I can't seem to find anything that tells the symptoms of that. can anybody help me?

If any of this can help. my bike is an '08 with only 31,000 miles. I've got a +3 Barnett clutch. Engine is stock and religiously change the oil at 3,000 miles.

Thank you so much

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

I don't know about the Barnett clutch but I have heard that aftermarket brands don't hold up. I checked their website and it looks like they only sell cables and springs right now.

The whine is due to the gears being straight cut. Straight cut gears handle torque better than helical cut gears. Helicals are quiet, but don't hold up to 1800 cc torque. In autos, a Pete Jackson gear drive replacing the cam chains, will sound like a blower due to the gears being straight cut. Nothing you can do about this, and I love the sound, personally. Get a louder exhaust if you don't like it. LMAO!

It appears he has a +3 Barnett clutch cable, not a Barnett clutch.

And as far as the feeling like it suddenly released, the first few years do this now and then. Suzuki redid the clutch in 2010 and the problem goes away. The 2010 parts fit in the 2006 - 2009 models without a problem.

When my bike was in for new tires in July 2018, the guy that test rode it called it a grabby clutch. I told him, warm it up while leaning it a little to the right and the problem pretty much goes away. Mine has almost 37,000 miles and I still haven't changed it or done the motor mounts. Not going to do either any time soon.

Mine does the shudder once in a blue moon, not enough to be a problem worthfixing.
    Last edited by cbxer55; 3 Weeks Ago at 12:50 PM.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING
    White 2004 Ford Lightning
    Blue/Black 2007 Ford Mustang
    Red/Black 1998 Ford Ranger