FLO PERMANENT OIL FILTER - ***PRECAUTIONARY WARNING***

Thread: FLO PERMANENT OIL FILTER - ***PRECAUTIONARY WARNING***

Default FLO PERMANENT OIL FILTER - ***PRECAUTIONARY WARNING***

Re: (https://www.m109riders.com/forums/sh.../topics/347794)

Hey team.
    I installed a "FLO" permanent oil filter for the first time this past November (2019). Yesterday I went for a ride for a few hours (not my first on this filter), and uneventfully parked my bike in my driveway to cool down, as I always do. Took the dog for a walk, and came back to find *** about a half cup of oil on the driveway!! ***

After a quick underbody inspection and brief neighbourhood search for any unsupervised HD's roaming about... (haha couldn't resist) I found the filter was *** SEVERAL TURNS *** hand-loose!!!

To be clear, I was **very** careful to ensure proper torque when it was installed and I have put at least 1,000mi on it this season with no problems whatsoever, sometimes over some very ugly bumpy roads (which I now wonder may have precipitated the loosening??)

I am "hoping" this was a fluke and it spontaneously started leaking after it cooled off enough to finally find that last micro-turn to allow oil to flow through. I have since snugged it up and will now carry a wrench with me to periodically check. Did the "stone cold sidestand" oil check method this morning and it shows normal (with and without threading the stick...) so I suspect the oil on my driveway was the first leak (thank goodness! Was sick-worried I could have run it while dry...gah) will double-check later with the 15/3 book method.

In case it *wasn't* a fluke, I wanted to share this report for anyone else who might be enjoying the same filter, to maybe check the torque.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by NoSetFine View Post
    Re: (https://www.m109riders.com/forums/sh.../topics/347794)

Hey team.
    I installed a "FLO" permanent oil filter for the first time this past November (2019). Yesterday I went for a ride for a few hours (not my first on this filter), and uneventfully parked my bike in my driveway to cool down, as I always do. Took the dog for a walk, and came back to find *** about a half cup of oil on the driveway!! ***

After a quick underbody inspection and brief neighbourhood search for any unsupervised HD's roaming about... (haha couldn't resist) I found the filter was *** SEVERAL TURNS *** hand-loose!!!

To be clear, I was **very** careful to ensure proper torque when it was installed and I have put at least 1,000mi on it this season with no problems whatsoever, sometimes over some very ugly bumpy roads (which I now wonder may have precipitated the loosening??)

I am "hoping" this was a fluke and it spontaneously started leaking after it cooled off enough to finally find that last micro-turn to allow oil to flow through. I have since snugged it up and will now carry a wrench with me to periodically check. Did the "stone cold sidestand" oil check method this morning and it shows normal (with and without threading the stick...) so I suspect the oil on my driveway was the first leak (thank goodness! Was sick-worried I could have run it while dry...gah) will double-check later with the 15/3 book method.

In case it *wasn't* a fluke, I wanted to share this report for anyone else who might be enjoying the same filter, to maybe check the torque.
    Do you mean this filter?
    https://fortnine.ca/en/hiflofiltro-racing-oil-filter

As I read this, I had a deja-vu and thought I might have typed this in my sleep. About a month ago, I was at the drag strip and on my last run down the track, on the return road, my oil light came on. By the time I got to the pit my bike was leaking from the filter and my rear tire was covered in oil. It had come loose. I lost all but about 200 ML of oil. Fortunately, I did not do any damage to the bike and I did not slide out from the oil on the tire. I had changed the oil about 4000 Km ago and was going to change the oil the next week anyway. When I got back home, there was a very small amount of oil in my parking stall, so it looked like it was leaking just that day.

I found it very odd that it would loosen up after 4000 Km, so I suspected my parking stall neighbor. He sits in his car fat least 16 hours a day. I come home at 3am and this weirdo is sitting in his car playing on his phone. I come home from work, he's sitting in it. Because of this, I suspect he removed 3 kickstand plates I left on the ground, just some cheap metal ones from Lowes, even though I wrote "do not remove, needed for kickstand". I glued and screwed down the one I have now. Then the oil filter coming loose. A week later, someone tightened my clutch cable so tight, it would engage when I gave it heavy throttle. Then last Friday, the upper left bolt on the shaft drive was removed. All these things happening in such a short time period is just weird to me.

Anyways, back to the filter... is it possible it was sabotage? I'm scratching my head now, wondering if I didn't torque enough, though I'm sure I did. Thank goodness I'm moving into a house in 10 days with a garage.

Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
    Do you mean this filter?
    https://fortnine.ca/en/hiflofiltro-racing-oil-filter

As I read this, I had a deja-vu and thought I might have typed this in my sleep. About a month ago, I was at the drag strip and on my last run down the track, on the return road, my oil light came on. By the time I got to the pit my bike was leaking from the filter and my rear tire was covered in oil. It had come loose. I lost all but about 200 ML of oil. Fortunately, I did not do any damage to the bike and I did not slide out from the oil on the tire. I had changed the oil about 4000 Km ago and was going to change the oil the next week anyway. When I got back home, there was a very small amount of oil in my parking stall, so it looked like it was leaking just that day.

I found it very odd that it would loosen up after 4000 Km, so I suspected my parking stall neighbor. He sits in his car fat least 16 hours a day. I come home at 3am and this weirdo is sitting in his car playing on his phone. I come home from work, he's sitting in it. Because of this, I suspect he removed 3 kickstand plates I left on the ground, just some cheap metal ones from Lowes, even though I wrote "do not remove, needed for kickstand". I glued and screwed down the one I have now. Then the oil filter coming loose. A week later, someone tightened my clutch cable so tight, it would engage when I gave it heavy throttle. Then last Friday, the upper left bolt on the shaft drive was removed. All these things happening in such a short time period is just weird to me.

Anyways, back to the filter... is it possible it was sabotage? I'm scratching my head now, wondering if I didn't torque enough, though I'm sure I did. Thank goodness I'm moving into a house in 10 days with a garage.
    Hey Sledge - first of all, WOW for your nightmare race neighbour! What a douche, if that's the case!!
    (this filter, not the one you found: https://www.webbikeworld.com/flo-oil-filter/)
    https://www.m109riders.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=347794

Full disclosure though - yes, I did briefly consider "sabotage" - maybe someone didn't like me cruising through the neighbouhood maybe, but to be honest, unless someone intentionally followed me home, I just don't see anyone on my street doing it, so I quickly dismissed it. My bike is only unattended at shops/stops - which would be weird, and smoking hot under there - and briefly in my own driveway, where I routinely leave the unusually sensitive alarm on, plus if it's my neighbour, they are always so nice, the culprit would need to be an amazingly well adjusted psychopath to have never set off any alarm bells in the past. Hahaha.
    EDIT: "my neighbours are awesome... ...I always alarm my bike..." hahaha. Sounds funny together, but I trust my neighbours, just not any opportunists passing through.

So then I was back to "wow, that's weird," not knowing how that could have happened. Mmeh. It *is* a brand new filter I have never used before, so maybe... maybe it just rattled loose or I didn't torque it right or something, who knows? I cranked it back on, so it if comes loose again... then I know something must be up.
    Last edited by NoSetFine; 3 Weeks Ago at 11:33 AM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

IS this the SAME one we were talking about HERE? Guess you said that at the very top
    https://www.m109riders.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=347794

THESE have SQUARE GASKET prevent blow outs! So maybe wasn't tight enough?>
    ~Stitch

2008 M109R2 AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. by STARK INDUSTRIES