Cold Oil Check

Thread: Cold Oil Check

Default Cold Oil Check

I've searched and read but for the life of me cant find a complete proper description of how to do this, so I take it, you park it up on the sidestand with the bars turned fully left, leave it overnight, check in the morning with it still resting on the sidestand, but heres where no one describes it properly, do you simply unscrew the dipstick and read it from there, or pull the stick, clean it and dip without screwing it all the way in, and where should the oil level be on the stick?

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

This only works after you do an oil change and know for a fact that the exact amount of oil is in the engine that should be. And yes, you pull the dipstick out, wipe it, and stick it back in again without screwing it in. Normal oil check, just a different approach to it.

Do an oil change, put in however much you put in (I put in four quarts every time, been doing so since 2007). Start it, run it. Let it sit over night. Next morning, check it before you start it. See where the oil level is on the stick. Do your best to keep it there. Always check it cold.

Myself, I keep my bike on a chock totally vertical. So I have adapted the method to work with that.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01010008.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	389524  
    Last edited by cbxer55; 4 Weeks Ago at 03:55 AM.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING
    White 2004 Ford Lightning
    Blue/Black 2007 Ford Mustang
    Red/Black 1998 Ford Ranger

OK, what I have done is, oil and filter change, when I drained the oil I stood the bike up then put it back on the stand, did this a few times till no more oil came out, I put in 3700ml of oil and started it and run for about 5 mins, let it sit overnight then next morning checked it cold on the sidestand, even when first unscrewing the dipstick the oil was only just touching the very bottom of the stick, if I wipe and just redip there is no oil at all on the stick, so seeing how there is already 3700ml in there I dont really want to put any more in, as then it will be up to near 4 litres of oil in there which is way over the 3600ml its meant to take.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

DakS83, mines the same so l leave it on the stand unscrew the dipstick and if there's oil on it then it's OK.

Quote Originally Posted by The Prospector View Post
    DakS83, mines the same so l leave it on the stand unscrew the dipstick and if there's oil on it then it's OK.
    I do the same

Ive used the cold check for 10+ yrs. Never could get any oil to show on the dip stick using the 15/3 method.

I change the oil, putting in how much you think. I put in 3.2 Qts. I then take it on a quick ride putting through the gears. Very low RPM's. Park it over night. Pull the dip stick straight out and read it. Dont clean it off prior. Adjust oil level very little if needed at a time. But as long as you have oil on the dip stick you are good. I also dont try and keep the oil at the full mark.

Now, when I change the oil I check it the next morning and just check it on ling rides. Mine uses very little and I have a catch can. So dont have to worry about puking either

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Very Active Member

The trick , to me at least , is on the amount of oil that you drain out of the bike .
    I push the bike until the rear wheel sits on top of a 6"x2" platform I made to around 2 inches higher and with the bike on the kickstand , then , I open the 2 drain plugs and leave it for 30 minutes or so .
    The higher rear wheel incline will force almost all the oil out from the two chambers in the engine ,effectively draining the oil .
    After that , I take the oil filter out .
    Once the new filter is installed and the oil is drained , I proceed to refill with 3.8 quarts .... done .
    After I take the bike for a spin , I come back and check the dipstick (fully treaded all the way down) once or twice with the bike on the kickstand , and it is always exactly , EXACTLY , on the upper line of the "full" mark of the dipstick .
    I have done it for years , and it always the exact same result , without variation .
    And , BTW, I always change the final drive oil , too every time I do oil /filter change .
    Last edited by josey088; 4 Weeks Ago at 12:01 PM.

Since I change oil every 3000-3500 miles, I don't check the oil level between oil changes. None of my current motorcycles burn or leak oil. However, my 1972 Sportster leaked so much oil that always parked it in the barn with a pan under the engine. What a POS.

Ill be doing my first M109 oil change in the next few weeks before it gets put to bed for winter (not much riding here past end of September).

since I got my 2017 BOSS this past March my cold checks have always been the same.

-on the side stand
    -pull the dip stick after its been fully seated over night - its always at the full mark, ie the top of the hash marks on the dip stick
    -wipe it off, dip it in without screwing it down and its 1/4 of the way up the hash marks on the dip stick.

be interesting to see how much oil I drain out when I change it
    2017 M109R, 2017 Africa Twin DCT, 2014 Honda VFR800 , 2003 Kawi Z1000, 2000 Kawi ZRX1100 ,2000 Ducati 748, 1989 Honda RC31 Hawk GT, 1985 VF1000R, 1985 VF1000R (Euro), 1986 Honda NS400R, 2017 Beta 300RR

Well, compared to those who posted above you, whose bikes hardly showed anything on the dipstick when first removed using the cold check method, yours is at the top of the hash marks doing the same. Your bike is likely overfilled by the dealer. I put four quarts in mine when I change the oil, have done so since the first oil change I did in 2007. Mine barely shows on the dipstick doing the cold check.

Putting for quarts in has never been a problem on my bike. But, I don't have the oil hoses from the heads going to the backs of the air filter housings either. I routed them to a bottle down inside the large engine cover in front of the swingarm. And no, there has never been any oil in that bottle either, not since 2009 or so when I did that mod.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING
    White 2004 Ford Lightning
    Blue/Black 2007 Ford Mustang
    Red/Black 1998 Ford Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by cbxer55 View Post
    Well, compared to those who posted above you, whose bikes hardly showed anything on the dipstick when first removed using the cold check method, yours is at the top of the hash marks doing the same. Your bike is likely overfilled by the dealer. I put four quarts in mine when I change the oil, have done so since the first oil change I did in 2007. Mine barely shows on the dipstick doing the cold check.

Putting for quarts in has never been a problem on my bike. But, I don't have the oil hoses from the heads going to the backs of the air filter housings either. I routed them to a bottle down inside the large engine cover in front of the swingarm. And no, there has never been any oil in that bottle either, not since 2009 or so when I did that mod.
    im 1/4 up the stick with a wipe and dip when cold.

full on the stick only when fully screwed down

Ill be doing the oil change soon , so ill be measuring what comes out. If its over filled its puzzling that a dealer tech cant read the label thats right next to the filler cap that says how much to put in. we will see shortly. I have never had any oil blow into the intake and Ive put 3000km on it this summer.
    2017 M109R, 2017 Africa Twin DCT, 2014 Honda VFR800 , 2003 Kawi Z1000, 2000 Kawi ZRX1100 ,2000 Ducati 748, 1989 Honda RC31 Hawk GT, 1985 VF1000R, 1985 VF1000R (Euro), 1986 Honda NS400R, 2017 Beta 300RR

Thumbs up

Well, given that my bike appeared to be over filled, I decided to get the oil change done sooner than later.

-Took her for a good hour long ride, pulled both front and rear drain plugs and the oil filter, let her drain for 45 minutes or so. (stood the bike up a couple of times to ensure all the oil came out)
    -pulled the rear drive drain and fill plugs and drained that too

Drained just over 3700ml of engine oil out of it (may be 3750 if you account for a wee bit of spill and a bit left coating the catch pan), so just over 100ml more than the manual calls for. Overall not an issue since 4 Quarts that some folks put in = 3750 ml, manual calls for 3600ml.

-New Rear Gear oil added
    -New Filter installed
    -New crush washers on all drain plugs
    -3600ml of Bell Ray Semi-Syn 20/50 VTWIN Oil added to the engine
    -~220ml of Bell Ray Gear oil added to the rear drive

Did the 15/3 hot check after the oil change and for some reason I dont get a read on the dip stick at all, so ill revert to the cold check tomorrow morning. Either way, 3600ml would be less than what was in it and matches the Suzuki owners manual specification.

One guess is, someone just put in 4 quarts (some oil here in Canada is sold in Quarts (945ml) bottles, some in l litre bottles).....probably the most likely explanation.
    Last edited by Straycat; 1 Week Ago at 03:20 PM.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by Straycat View Post
    Well, given that my bike appeared to be over filled, I decided to get the oil change done sooner than later.

-Took her for a good hour long ride, pulled both front and rear drain plugs and the oil filter, let her drain for 45 minutes or so. (stood the bike up a couple of times to ensure all the oil came out)
    -pulled the rear drive drain and fill plugs and drained that too

Drained just over 3700ml of engine oil out of it (may be 3750 if you account for a wee bit of spill and a bit left coating the catch pan), so just over 100ml more than the manual calls for. Overall not an issue since 4 Quarts that some folks put in = 3750 ml, manual calls for 3600ml.

-New Rear Gear oil added
    -New Filter installed
    -New crush washers on all drain plugs
    -3600ml of Bell Ray Semi-Syn 20/50 VTWIN Oil added to the engine
    -~220ml of Bell Ray Gear oil added to the rear drive

Did the 15/3 hot check after the oil change and for some reason I dont get a read on the dip stick at all, so ill revert to the cold check tomorrow morning. Either way, 3600ml would be less than what was in it and matches the Suzuki owners manual specification.

One guess is, someone just put in 4 quarts (some oil here in Canada is sold in Quarts (945ml) bottles, some in l litre bottles).....probably the most likely explanation.

If you want to drain the engine oil , you need to put the rear wheel a few inches higher (on top of a couple of 2x4s for example ) With the bike on the kickstand , Open the 2 plugs and the oil will flow much better , draining the second chamber almost completely .

Quote Originally Posted by josey088 View Post
    If you want to drain the engine oil , you need to put the rear wheel a few inches higher (on top of a couple of 2x4s for example ) With the bike on the kickstand , Open the 2 plugs and the oil will flow much better , draining the second chamber almost completely .
    That's a good tip! I always put both wheels up on boards to get my oil pan under but when I change the oil this time before I put the bike away for the winter I'm going to give this method a try. Thanks!

Final update from me on this one. I did the cold check the next morning and had just a trace of oil on the dipstick as others have suggested. so i'm good to go. thanks guys