Weird vibration when pushing hard

Thread: Weird vibration when pushing hard

Default Weird vibration when pushing hard

Hi all,

Noticed something weird that has been happening past few days. Not all the time, but every now and then, when I punch the throttle and get up around 5k to 6k rpm, the normal rumble kinda changes to a different vibration. It's really hard to explain it. It almost sounds like something is a little lose. I have the Freedom pipes, so it's loud and rumbles a lot either way, but this sound is more of a vibration. Atleast that is the best way that I can describe it. Was wondering if anyone with these pipes have had this same situation, or if anyone knows what might be a good place to look. I wonder if the rumble in these pipes might have loosened something a little. I have checked the exhaust bolts and heat shield bolts. Everything is on tight.
    "Life is what you make it..."

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Another weird thing I noticed, only cause I'm stupid anal about things, the handle bar does not sit 100% straight across. It's like the right side riser dips down just a little. Does anyone else notice this, or is this just with mine. Also the housing for the Tach meter is not even all the way around the tach. Like the bottom left corner does not sit exactly flush with the tach. I've taken the light apart for other things and there is no adjustment for this housing, atleast on mine. Seems like a flaw or something. I have a 2011. Just curious if this is just me or not.

Ok, I pinpointed what is causing the change in vibration. It's not the rpm's, it's how much I'm twisting the throttle. If I just give it a little, well more than just a little, but little compared to how much I usually give it, it will make the engine vibrate different. It's almost like, when the engine gets a big increase in gas, it changes the vibration. I guess that's the best way I can explain it, but it's definitely has to do with how much I am twisting the throttle. Has anyone experienced this? I'm running with a cobra FI2000 powrpro black and freedom pipes. It makes me wonder if the powrpro is responding wrong to the increase in throttle, but honestly I have no clue other than I don't like the vibration change.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Check the motor mounts.

Quote Originally Posted by UVATom View Post
    Check the motor mounts.
    Agree completely.
    Coming to a city near you..
    Bang for the Buck Mods link
    CLICK HERE

Well dam, I hope its not the mounts. I only got little over 5k miles on it. If it is the mounts, you'd think I'd get the vibration through all of the acceleration. I'm taking the bike apart for the winter to have it painted, ill work in replacing them then if thats it. Thanks for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by Fate9176 View Post
    Another weird thing I noticed, only cause I'm stupid anal about things, the handle bar does not sit 100% straight across. It's like the right side riser dips down just a little. Does anyone else notice this, or is this just with mine. Also the housing for the Tach meter is not even all the way around the tach. Like the bottom left corner does not sit exactly flush with the tach. I've taken the light apart for other things and there is no adjustment for this housing, atleast on mine. Seems like a flaw or something. I have a 2011. Just curious if this is just me or not.
    Mine is a 2019 and have the exact same issue with the bars and tach surround its doing my head in

The vibration and sound could be the motor mounts. There are threads on here showing visual signs and how to check them. The handlebars can be straightened by loosening and tightening the risers. They all get out of wack from time to time. Not sure about the tach. Mine doesn't have that issue. Make sure you search about the mounts before buying stock new ones. There are a lot of threads here with a lot of info just use the search function. Same with the straightening the bars.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussietrucker View Post
    Mine is a 2019 and have the exact same issue with the bars and tach surround its doing my head in
    Well, atleast I know it's not only me. heh.

Quote Originally Posted by Fate9176 View Post
    Well, at least I know it's not only me. heh.
    I have a 2006 and a 2013 M109R. Under heavy acceleration they both tend to vibrate. I look down and see the fuel tank vibrating. Both bikes have done it since they were new to me (at about 5,000 miles). I am not concerned about it.

The earlier Nines have the tach mounted on the risers near the handlebars. The mounting bracket for the tach on these earlier bikes tends to lock the two risers together and the bars aren't apt to go out of alignment. However, my 2013 with the tach mounted in the headlight nacelle had a constant problem going out of alignment. I tried tightening them with a long breaker bar and they still twisted. Finally, I made a bracket to go between the two risers up near the bars and haven't had a problem since.
    r

Quote Originally Posted by Metalman View Post
    I have a 2006 and a 2013 M109R. Under heavy acceleration they both tend to vibrate. I look down and see the fuel tank vibrating. Both bikes have done it since they were new to me (at about 5,000 miles). I am not concerned about it.

The earlier Nines have the tach mounted on the risers near the handlebars. The mounting bracket for the tach on these earlier bikes tends to lock the two risers together and the bars aren't apt to go out of alignment. However, my 2013 with the tach mounted in the headlight nacelle had a constant problem going out of alignment. I tried tightening them with a long breaker bar and they still twisted. Finally, I made a bracket to go between the two risers up near the bars and haven't had a problem since.
    r
    O wow, that is interesting. I assume you drilled those holes through your risers? I'm not confident enough to do any drilling. I'm still glad I'm not the only one. LOL. I have a bunch of mods and such planned for this winter when I take the bike apart. Thinking of just replacing the risers with some chrome ones.

Very Active Member

I have a 2013 M109r and I don`t get any of that vibration that you mention .
    I also have 2" Revo risers installed and my handlebars are steady solid at any speed . No vibrations .
    I used to have an Indian Chieftain 2016 and one time when I upgraded the floorboards with and aftermarket set, every time I passed 70 mph I started having a vibration that was coming straight up from the bottom , up from my legs, butt and it was incredibly uncomfortable .
    It was making me crazy , so I took it to the dealer, explained what was happening and the chief mechanic took it for a spin , came back , took a wrench and loosened the floorboards bolts a couple of treads... problem solved totally .
    Instead of being too tight, the floorboards needed to be not too tight , in order to work perfectly .
    Last edited by josey088; 4 Weeks Ago at 09:17 AM.

When I pull hard on the throttle I get the same vibration but it seems to be cuase of the lift created by shaft drive, if it were belt I dont think it would do this. And I have tires ordered for the bike also as I feel with them worn the tires would be out of balance.

The risers I find if they are twisted a bit I just have to turn the bars all the way to one side and they straighten up with a little effort
    Chicks Dig Guys with Big Pistons